Background checks

PDA

glove
July 4, 2006, 10:08 AM
Hello Everyone
I have a question. When you purchase a rifle or shotgun and fill out the paperwork does the gun shop do a background check on that purchase like when you buy a pistol? I live in Ohio.
Dave Z

If you enjoyed reading about "Background checks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XavierBreath
July 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
Yes.

glove
July 4, 2006, 10:17 AM
Hello XavierBreath
If that is the case than why when I purchase a rifle or shotgun its mine that day? Than when I purchase a pistol I get a delay and have to wait the 3 days to pick it up?
Dave Z

BARRETT
July 4, 2006, 10:22 AM
form 4473 might have been checked in the delayed box
there's a ton of different reasons
ask the sales person to see the form.

2nd_amendment
July 4, 2006, 10:24 AM
You should be able to get your handgun when you pay for it.The only reason for a wait in Ohio is if your info closely resembles someone else.
In Ohio you can go to the gun shop and walk out with what you want if your background check is in order.

glove
July 4, 2006, 10:28 AM
You should be able to get your handgun when you pay for it.The only reason for a wait in Ohio is if your info closely resembles someone else.

That's what the dealer said the last 3 pistols I bought had the delay. The rifle and shotgun no problem.
Dave

XavierBreath
July 4, 2006, 10:33 AM
If that is the case than why when I purchase a rifle or shotgun its mine that day? Than when I purchase a pistol I get a delay and have to wait the 3 days to pick it up?You will have to figure that one out for yourself. The answer to your original question, "When you purchase a rifle or shotgun and fill out the paperwork does the gun shop do a background check on that purchase like when you buy a pistol?" is yes.

The first step is to ask your dealer.

Here's a link (http://www.lcav.org/states/ohio.asp#SecondaryPrivateSales).

glove
July 4, 2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks for your answers to my question. Also thanks for that link. alot of info there.
Dave

Steelcore
July 5, 2006, 07:32 AM
Does Cleveland have a 3 day waiting period for handguns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Background checks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!