AR "build" book?

PDA

Gary O
July 4, 2006, 11:50 AM
Could any of you folks suggest a book on building an AR-15 from the ground up? Years ago I read “Black Magic” but am unsure if it is now current enough to be of any help. I want to end up with and AR that could possibly be best described as a “predator rifle”; somewhere between a full varmint/bull barrel and a real fighting rifle. I want the best of all worlds: a hunting rifle and a rifle that I could press into home defense use. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. God bless and Happy 4th! God bless our country, President, and our troops….
gary

If you enjoyed reading about "AR "build" book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartholomew Roberts
July 4, 2006, 12:02 PM
You can get excellent accuracy out of a medium profile barrel that is lighter than either a varmint barrel or a bull barrel without sacrificing reliability. I shot this group at 100yds using a 16" medium profile (less than an HBAR) stainless steel Lilja barrel:

http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/target5.jpg

This is the same rifle I take to rifle classes and use for close-in blasting as well. It has a stock trigger. About the only "match" parts on it are the barrel and the free-float tube. It currently has 1,849 rounds through it. The only cycling problems it has had have been with Federal XM193PD squib loads, which is pretty tough to blame on the rifle.

I'd take a close look at the WOA Stainless Steel match barrels if I wanted good accuracy but didn't want to pay high-end match barrel prices.

dmftoy1
July 4, 2006, 05:03 PM
I can't suggest a book, but if you go to AR15 you can probably find everything you want to know about building and more. If you've got specific usage in mind I'd just ask them and you'll get more opinions that you can probably handle as well. :) It' s a bit juvenille over there at times, but there's alot of good info.

Have a good one,
Dave

Bergeron
July 5, 2006, 06:26 PM
The Mouse That Roared is a good book. It's written by Glen Zediker and has a focus on highpower, although it touches on other variations.

There's another one out there, Black Rifle something that was also informative.

Good luck!

MudPuppy
July 5, 2006, 08:21 PM
I printed out the instructions on AR15 and had no problems.

Spent the money I saved by not buying the book on ammo. (Actually, I bought a tub of ice cream, but that's not very manly.)

MrAcheson
July 7, 2006, 04:08 PM
Ok I'm going to do a little thread highjack on something related.

I've put together a Doublestar lower using mostly RRA parts including their match trigger. I'm looking to mate it to a complete 16" midlength upper with a medium contour barrel. Anybody know some retailers (preferably with websites) who might sell such a thing for a good price?

rbernie
July 7, 2006, 04:55 PM
DSG sells the Armalite middie uppers. (http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=631) I have a home build upper using an Armalite middie barrel that I got from DSG, and it's been super.

Bartholomew Roberts
July 7, 2006, 06:04 PM
I've shot an Armalite middy myself and they are super. Great accuracy as well in the one I used. ADCO Firearms also sells a lot of midlength RRA uppers as well as doing custom barrel profiling, so you might look at them as well.

Other guys that sell midlength 16" uppers:
CMMG
The Bravo Company
Denny's Guns (Global Tactical Supply)

There is also Mid-South Tactical Network (http://mstn.biz); but they are definitely at the high-end of the market. You will also need to call them or visit their Industry Forum at AR15.com as the website isn't great or updated frequently.

I've dealt with every company mentioned except Bravo Company. All have treated me right in the past.

MrAcheson
July 10, 2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks BR, that was a lot of help.

Minator
July 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
Bushmaster sales a step by step dvd

newman
July 11, 2006, 12:24 AM
I've been researching the same topic and found alot of useful stuff in this four-part article:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AR15_part1.asp

If you enjoyed reading about "AR "build" book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!