How to care for Wood Grips

PDA

GVMan
July 5, 2006, 11:43 AM
I was recently told that I didn't need to do anything special to care for wood grips and that none of the gun cleaning or lubrication products would harm them. However, I read on the Hogue site to take them off when cleaning. What do you do with your wood gripped guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "How to care for Wood Grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Car Knocker
July 5, 2006, 01:22 PM
I remove the grips. Solvents, cleaners and lubricants will get between the grips and the frame and, depending on the finish, may be absorbed by the wood, resulting in staining and/or softening of the wood. I also remove non-wood stocks because I really don't like grunge accumulating under them.

I should note, though, that my cleaning procedure usually involves removing the stocks and dropping the disassembled handgun into a can of Ed's Red for a couple of hours. Rarely do I just "spot-clean" a firearm at home.

CWL
July 5, 2006, 04:56 PM
Always remove the grips when cleaning! Solvents will strip the finish off-of the wood and will in turn make the wood very dry & brittle. End result will be dull wood leading to cracked wood.

Try this, put a little bit of whatever cleaner & you use on the inside of a wood grip and see if any finish (color) comes off.

Pistol Toter
July 5, 2006, 05:40 PM
Remove the grips when cleaning as others have advised and if storing the gun for a long time drop them in a zipper lock bag for protection against absorbing the preserving oil left on the gun. I will occasionally rub a little Johnson floor wax on the uncheckerd areas allow to haze and buff. P.T.

Omega
July 6, 2006, 12:16 AM
Have to agree with the posts above - remove the grips as your cleaning agents could be very harmful to the wood finish and therefore to the wood itself.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
July 6, 2006, 01:02 AM
As the Fitz Pistol Grip Co 1919-1979 when my factory burnt I have had a lot of feedback from my worldwide customers and currently from those buying grips from my collections.

I have advised on my Walnut and my Exclusive Cherry grips that any good clear furniture polish will work but I have had a lot of feedback from customers liking Old English Lemon polish and in southern states where sweaty hands are possible Tung Oil thinned 50/50 with alcohol.

On my Ironwood grips that have a lacquer finish several fellows have removed it and used linseed and other oils.

Dienekes
July 6, 2006, 01:19 AM
I have had a set of Spegel wood stocks on a Security Six that I carried daily for fifteen years and often in retirement. The finish I used was Tru-Oil, which stands wear well. Every couple of years I pull the stocks off, take the old finish down somewhat with steel wool, and put on about three coats. They still look good.

Years ago I made up a little cleaning rack for DA revolvers that holds the gun upright with cylinder open and barrel level. My usual solvent is Ed's Red. When done I just wipe the gun down with a slightly oily patch and stay off the wood with it.

My SAs and semiautos don't have a neat little rack but as long as I don't slop solvent all over the place it seems to be a nonissue.

HighVelocity
July 6, 2006, 01:25 AM
I've used Orange Glow and Murphy's oil soap and been very happy with the results. YMMV

Ala Dan
July 6, 2006, 08:28 AM
I've been pondering this question since I first read the post, and haven't
yet come up with a good answer~!:eek: But, I just remembered that
when I acquire an older S&W with the walnut grips and company
medallions that are in good shape, I always removed them and
wrap them is tissue paper for storage in my safe. I then replace the
grips with a set of rubber grips; either Pachmayr or Hogues. This was
the case with my S&W [old model] 60 in .38 Special. It now wears a
set of Pachmayr "Compact Professionals"~!:cool: :D

If you enjoyed reading about "How to care for Wood Grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!