Newbie Question about lubricant


July 5, 2006, 04:54 PM
Couple questions on the matter. How much do you use and what method do you use to apply it? When i took my 1858 Remington to the range i just used my finger and put some on the ball , made a huge mess. Also tried putting it on the ball before I loaded it in the cylinder and that got me alot of bullets slipping out of my hands and falling on the ground.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie Question about lubricant" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
July 5, 2006, 05:53 PM
Once the ball is seated you go back and put grease on them in the cylinder, just fill it up as much as you can, use a knife of a popcicle stick.

July 5, 2006, 08:46 PM
I use old horse wormer cartriages .. i just fill`em back up with crisco in the winter and crisco and bees wax mix in the summer ..(when the temp is in the 90`s crisco gets runny)after i load my cylinders i squirt some in the first 2 holes on top of the balls .. or sometimes every other ball .. eaither way is enough to keep my remmies running smooth.

July 5, 2006, 11:55 PM
I once saw a larger design, brass grease dispenser that was made by CVA that looked like a cross between a grease gun and a syringe. It had a nozzle to put the grease where you wanted it, into the chamber covering up the ball.
I also remember a suggestion to use some other kinds of plastic syringes which allow for the more precise, pinpoint application of the lubricant only around the circumference of the loaded ball in the chamber, which functions as a seal against chainfires. It was claimed that this practice wasn't as excessively messy or wasteful, yet still effective. There's probably quite a few different types of syringes that could perform this method satisfactorily, can anyone mention a specific one? Maybe it was a medical syringe body, a food grade or meat injecting syringe of some sort that the suggesting individual had recommended.
I've heard that in some parts of the country, there ain't no such thing as unmelted lube in a tube! :D

Paul "Fitz" Jones
July 6, 2006, 12:09 AM
In my contact with Veterinarians and Animal feed stores I ran across some plastic syringes years ago that were about an inch in diameter and 5 inches long with a plunger that had a curved about three inches long. Check your feed or horse tack stores in the medical section or even large pet shops like Petco.

The original lube was animal fat called Tallow long ago and nowadays it is called Lard in pound packages in the ethnic section of my grocery stores.

4v50 Gary
July 6, 2006, 12:26 AM
I use an ice cream stick. Even a plastic knife works good enough for spreading lube over the mouth of a cylinder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie Question about lubricant" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!