Web MD info on Tinnitus

PDA

Justin
May 1, 2003, 11:43 PM
I was poking around on Web MD, and dug up an article on Tinnitus that offered some info into what causes it, and how it can be dealt with.

The Ringing and Buzzing of Tinnitus (http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/48/39169.htm?pagenumber=1)

Understanding Tinnitus- Treatment (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/7/1680_53648.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})

If you enjoyed reading about "Web MD info on Tinnitus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bountyhunter
May 2, 2003, 02:20 PM
When I first was afflicted with very severe tinnitus, I did a web search on it.. If you look for the proper name "Jastrebof" or "Jastreboff" you will find the latest research. he is the doctor on the cutting edge who pioneered the therapy called TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) which helped me out.

rick458
May 2, 2003, 11:11 PM
All I know is I saw Ted Nugent last night in houston and my head is still ringing

Carlos
May 2, 2003, 11:22 PM
I'd love to see that guy again. That would make six or seven times.

Hibernation was his last song of the night (Call of the Wild album?). It makes my heart sing.

I have a friend who was jarred severely during a car accident and developed/exacerbated a Tinnitus hybrid (was artillary during Nam). Constantly complains about the sounds that ruin his sleep and everyday life. His equilibrium is screwed up to the point that he can't get on a ladder anymore, thus not work his profession.

That sucks.

Think I'll be buying some of those musician liquid filled plugs for shooting AND my future concertgoing. You can get them through Musicians Friend catalog.

KPersimmon
May 2, 2003, 11:35 PM
<<<I was poking around on Web MD, and dug up an article on Tinnitus that offered some info into what causes it, and how it can be dealt with.

The Ringing and Buzzing of Tinnitus

Understanding Tinnitus- Treatment>>>

Thanks for the info.

I have significant hearing loss along with tinnitus, in the form of a constant, high-pitched ringing. My ENT doctor, audiologist, and I all agree that my hearing loss was due to my (stupidly) sometimes shooting without hearing protection.
Regardless, I still love to shoot--but never without ear muffs!

MikeK
May 3, 2003, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info. Now to start curing it I need to give up cigars and coffee and a few other vices (AAAHHHH). Fortunately mine is mild and doesn't occur all the time. I'm pretty sure it's gun related, but I always wear hearing protection, except for those few times that I had the muffs off when a round or two went off.

I don't take them off anymore.

PATH
May 3, 2003, 01:32 AM
Tinnitus > Latin for Jingle Bells as it were!

MAKOwner
May 3, 2003, 04:31 AM
Hmm, I guess I have a form of this as well. When it is dead quiet, I can still hear an annoying hum type of background noise. If it's really really quiet it can become almost deafeningly loud seeming once I notice the noise and start to concentrate on it, it's weird. I either don't notice it or block it out somehow usually. As a result I've slept with a ceiling fan on year round hot or cold for the last 10 years or so.

Guess it's from that one time I didn't wear hearing protection at a big family dump shooting trip. Popped off alot of rounds and day and probably screwed my hearing I guess. Of course I do drink alot of caffeine and eat a decent bit of salt, I suppose it could be related to that. I wasn't aware anything other than hearing damage could cause it. I've never seen a doctor about it.

BTW, How do people in the military not go deaf pretty quickly?

bobs1066
May 3, 2003, 10:43 AM
The bad news is that you can minimize the damage to your hearing with plugs/ear muffs, but once the noise gets loud enough, the vibrations carried though your skull will affect your hearing.

I'm going to see if I can find somebody in this area that does the TRT.

My right ear has been ringing for the last 27 years.... :(

rick458
May 3, 2003, 01:00 PM
I had the initial stages of some french (named)disease Le Barres syndrom or some such thing where the tinitus would come and go .
It got loud enough to wake me up on several occasions, and makes taking an audiogram a real challenge (I can HEAR all the tones it is just very difficult to pick out the test tone due to all the noise I carry around daily).
I try to always wear double hearing protection
when shooting , and always take ear plugs with me to concerts and wear them when needed except for Thursday night:(

Roadrunner
May 5, 2003, 11:27 AM
Trying to sleep had been a challenge for me with my tinnitus. When I was little, I would leave the radio on. Now I set the sleep timer on the TV to go off in 30-60 minutes with the volume just high enough to drown out the ringing. Whenever my wife gets the urge to go dancing, I always bring the flesh-colored putty ear plugs. The music at the clubs is too loud.

BB93YJ
May 5, 2003, 12:46 PM
Having until recently been a Locomotive Engineer running trains for the past 24 years, and blowing the (120+dB)horns a quarter mile before every crossing, on trips up to 265 miles, with the windows open and the horns about four feet above my head....
I just pretend it's the locusts buzzing in the trees in the summertime....
Damn, I'm tired of locusts!

cdbeaver
May 5, 2003, 01:57 PM
MAKOwner:
Soldiers do lose their hearing, especially in wartime. Bet there aren't many artillermen or mortar men, or even tank gun shooters who haven't suffered major hearing loss if they've have extensive experience firing their crew-served weapons.

Even the lowly infantryman who experiences combat artillery bombardment will suffer some hearing loss. I stood behind a tank that fired off a couple of rounds from a 90-mm main gun and I couldn't hear much of anything for several days.

But it was years of high-powered rifle shooting without hearing protection (stupid!) that has me going "huh?" most of the time.

grampster
May 5, 2003, 03:37 PM
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshuh? wha? what?
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss............................................................

:( grampster

OF
May 5, 2003, 04:09 PM
I have a mild tinnitus is both ears from years mixing concerts. At first I didn't know how I could live with it and it was loud enough that i had trouble getting to sleep. Now, I only notice it when I try to listen for it. I have either gotten used to it to the point where my brain no longer takes notice, or it has actually diminished in volume over time.

- Gabe

Sport
May 5, 2003, 04:27 PM
For me it's crickets.
ceaselessly.... chirping.....crickets.
Aarrgh!

If you enjoyed reading about "Web MD info on Tinnitus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!