Say goodbye to Gunkid...

PDA

NineseveN
July 6, 2006, 12:23 PM
http://newsok.com/article/1881634

Man held on federal complaint

A convicted felon suspected of stashing stolen weapons and almost 11,000 bullets in a Norman storage locker is being held in the Oklahoma County jail on a federal complaint, officials said.
John Melvin Davis, 53, was arrested June 19 outside a trailer home at 12101 Village Dr. in Noble.

He is being held without bail and faces a complaint of possession of ammunition after a prior felony conviction. According to a federal detention order, Davis has past convictions on eight federal offenses and received five separate sentences totaling more than 20 years in prison.

Bob Troester, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Oklahoma City, said Davis is likely to face more than the ammunition complaint. He said his office will seek an indictment within 30 days.

According to a search warrant return filed Wednesday in Cleveland County District Court:

June 16, Davis’ estranged wife told the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms that Davis had broken into her Colorado storage unit and stolen “several assault rifles, hand guns, some gold, silver and other ... items.” She said Davis, who has at least eight aliases, stored most of the loot in Norman.

An Oklahoma woman told agents that she let Davis stay with her until he found the Noble trailer home and a storage unit at Summit Storage, 2100 24th Ave. SE, in Norman. She said Davis made “numerous comments” about not going back to prison, claiming he would “disrupt the economy by poisoning the water supply and knocking out the communication system.”

The woman also said Davis, who has lived in Oklahoma for only a few months, had begun having packages shipped to her address, including a box of incomplete firearms frames that he planned to sell with directions on how to convert them into functioning weapons.

June 19, agents searched Davis’ trailer home. Davis was detained after entering a van, and a .22 caliber pistol and several rounds of ammunition were recovered from a canvas bag he’d been carrying.

Agents later searched the Norman storage unit and seized a 9 millimeter pistol, a .22 caliber pistol, a .45 caliber pistol, a .223 caliber rifle, a Colt pistol, possible silencers, gun parts and more than 10,900 bullets of various calibers. Neighbor Tim “Tiny” Walters watched June 19 as federal agents swarmed Davis’ trailer home, one of about 30 in a rural park just north of Maguire Road on 120th Avenue NE..

“I counted five unmarked cars pull up before it was over,” Walters said. “They dragged him (Davis) out and arrested him.”

Agents searched the trailer home “from top to bottom for two days,” Walters said.

Ron Berry, the park’s assistant manager, said Davis moved in a few months ago.

“He was quiet and kept to himself,” Berry said. “He always waved when I walked by, but never said much.”

I received this from a member on my boards (John in AR) and thought I'd share with the THR community for obvious reasons. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this, and I despite my feelings on convicted felons being permanently stripped of their rights, Gunkid was a repeat felon and a danger to himself and anyone dumb enough to actually listen to him. I'm glad he's in custody.

We've gone so far as to mark June 19th, the day of his arrest, as a board holiday. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Say goodbye to Gunkid..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
July 6, 2006, 12:26 PM
Is that actually the guy??? :D

redneckrepairs
July 6, 2006, 12:35 PM
Its him allright LOL

Byron Quick
July 6, 2006, 12:52 PM
That's him. There's more going on than the article relates. He's probably going to wind up with state indictments in at least two states, as well as federal indictments.

roscoe
July 6, 2006, 12:55 PM
How do we know it is actually gunkid?

Justin
July 6, 2006, 12:57 PM

Not mentioned in the article is the fact that the feds also confiscated several wheelbarrows.

rbernie
July 6, 2006, 01:00 PM
Will somebody please PM me offline and clue me in on The Legend Of Gunkid? I've been here for a while now and have seen lots of references to him, but they're always oblique and never really explain what made this dude persona non grata.

kjeff50cal
July 6, 2006, 01:01 PM
As I read that I kept thinking..... his ex-wife deserves a medal:evil: :D .

jamz
July 6, 2006, 01:08 PM
Wow, a real Karmic smackdown! :)

Whirlwind06
July 6, 2006, 01:10 PM
I just googled gunkid.
quite a piece of work. Glad he is off the streets.

best summary of gunkid I found
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=5606670#post5606670

Byron Quick
July 6, 2006, 01:12 PM
There are people who are members here who personally know John Melvin Davis, know his wife, know that he was gunkid, know that most of his shenanigans on THR (among how many other forums) were through his wife's ISP, and tried to get her aid in restraining him...to no avail.

It's him. If being gunkid was a crime, the staff have enough evidence to convict him before a jury.

Hoppy590
July 6, 2006, 01:20 PM
so. would any of the long timers actualy explain what this guy did on THR. was he just a general jerk, did he brag about the illegality of hes doings? any actual explaination, referance to some of his posts? ANYTHING!

maybe nightcrawler can write up a "Legend of Gunkid":D

Justin
July 6, 2006, 01:24 PM
To put it bluntly, gunkid is the troll's troll.

He's been booted off of this board more times than I can count, and has, to my knowledge been kicked off of at least a dozen other forums, probably just as many times.

In the 1980's he was convicted of felonies for, iirc, drug dealing and illegally manufacturing suppressors. There is also conjecture that he spent some time under psychiatric care.

After being released, he started trolling the boards heavily, generally dispensing his "thoughts" on SHTF scenarios and how to survive the end of the world. He would antagonize and insult anyone who disagreed with his utterly looney postings, and generally be an all-around unpleasant sort of person. Describing the man as completely unhinged would be a bit like describing Ebola as having a little sniffle.

On this forum, we simply resorted to banning him as quickly as possible, and deleting all of his posts from the forum, which is why you only see references to him, and no posts.

Trebor
July 6, 2006, 01:30 PM

Not mentioned in the article is the fact that the feds also confiscated several wheelbarrows.

LOL! Nice one, Justin.

asknight
July 6, 2006, 01:30 PM
Proof positive that "You can only evade justice for so long."

1 old 0311
July 6, 2006, 01:32 PM
Well think of the poor prison shrink that is going to have to listen to him. THAT guy could write a book.

Dan M.
July 6, 2006, 01:38 PM
Why'd they list all the pistols by caliber except the Colt? "Ooo, a COLT! Good thing they arrested him!"

torpid
July 6, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hmmm, will he have internet access in prison?

P95Carry
July 6, 2006, 01:43 PM
THAT guy could write a book.

He himself has written books - IIRC Paladin Press - stuff like ''How to make a silencer'' etc !! :rolleyes:

It is less his firearms offences that sit badly - more the theft of money and goods (including firearms) from people.

"Ye shall reap what ye sow''.

JohnBT
July 6, 2006, 01:49 PM
All I can say about Hardin, to be, Nutty John, guntard, gunkid, etc. is...

RIP

Rest In Prison(again)

I wonder what took so long? I used to think he was posting from prison years ago when he was on the Shooters forum.

John

pistolero
July 6, 2006, 03:28 PM
Anybody heard from Deaf Smith? He will miss Hardin. Anybody remember the back and forth they used to have on, what was it? The firing line? Or shooters? Deaf Smith, being a lawdog, must hate criminals.

Q-Lock
July 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
Wow Whirlwind06,

Thanks for the link! I'd say that just about says it all. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what this nutjob was like...good thing he's going away, again.

"Not mentioned in the article is the fact that the feds also confiscated several wheelbarrows." - Justin
- After reading that link...I get it :) and I must say, it brought a smile to my face.

freedom and guns
July 6, 2006, 04:11 PM
is dang funny!!!!!:D :D :D :D I have to laugh from reading this thread! BTW What the Hell did he mean by "when the DAMN ballon goes up" I didn't get that. HAHAHAHA!!!!!

mp510
July 6, 2006, 04:17 PM
I just checked the Federal Bureau of Prisons site, and the record for him indicates that he is 55 years old, not 53. There is no record of his current status as being locked up in a federal facility. It says that he was released in 2000. Maybe they didn't get the latest info online yet.
Here is his Federal Bureau of Prisons profile:
http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=NameSearch&needingMoreList=false&LastName=Davis+&Middle=Melvin&FirstName=John&Race=U&Sex=U&Age=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is dang funny!!!!! I have to laugh from reading this thread! BTW What the Hell did he mean by "when the DAMN ballon goes up" I didn't get that. HAHAHAHA!!!!!
I think by when the balloon goes up, he was attempting to refer to when SHTF.

Correia
July 6, 2006, 04:25 PM
-Prison Warden: "So, Mr. Eight-Ball. I understand that you shived your cell mate. That is unacceptable."

-8-Ball: "But sir, he wouldn't shut up, it was like this all day, '9mm in 1.5 seconds, by a .22 with a suppresor conversion on an AR, when the balloon goes up, only the strong will live, will carrying your stuff in a wheelbarrow to float down the Mississippi. On and on, he just wouldn't stop."

-PW: "Oh, your cellmate was Gunkid. I post on THR, don't worry about it. Guards, double rations from Mr. Eight Ball."

LaEscopeta
July 6, 2006, 04:41 PM
What the Hell did he mean by "when the DAMN ballon goes up"Ever see those WW II photos of blimp shape balloons over cities, ships, etc.?:

http://www.skylighters.org/barrageballoons/bovertower.jpg
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/gifs/British_LCT.jpg
http://www.shipsoflongago.co.uk/EmpIslander+1+.jpg
http://www.portsdown-tunnels.org.uk/images/events/portsdown_ww2_photos/portchester_barrage_balloon.jpg

They were held down by a steel cable or cables, with the idea a dive bomber would crash if it hit the cable. Any way British army and navy grunts, who were never told anything, would figure they were about to get bombed or ordered into action if they saw the barrage balloon go up over their position or ship. Modern day guys who can’t wait for the S to H the F are waiting for the balloon to go up.

(Alternative explanation: it refers to observation balloons used by the British army in the Boer War in South Africa (maybe also the Crimean War?) When the grunts saw the balloon go up, they knew if the observer saw the enemy, they would be ordered to attack.)

(I don’t know much about guns and even less about Gunkid, but I know a little history trivia.)

buzz_knox
July 6, 2006, 04:53 PM
8-Ball: "But sir, he wouldn't shut up, it was like this all day, '9mm in 1.5 seconds, by a .22 with a suppresor conversion on an AR, when the balloon goes up, only the strong will live, will carrying your stuff in a wheelbarrow to float down the Mississippi. On and on, he just wouldn't stop."

Something tells me that they'll find many . . . interesting ways of getting Gunkid to shut up.

I wonder if he can find some way of duct taping trauma plates over his posterior.

Justin
July 6, 2006, 05:15 PM
Gunkid's booking detail. (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/cosheriff/InmateQuery/bookingdetail.asp?PERSON_ID=200098559)

A tip o' the hat to quake over at GlockTalk (http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=561029) for posting the link.

SuperNaut
July 6, 2006, 05:20 PM
So I've been reading up on Gunkid's exploits and it has been very entertaining.

Vic303
July 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
More confirmation: Looks like's he's gotten booked by the Feds.
http://www.oklahomacounty.org/cosheriff/InmateQuery/bookingdetail.asp?PERSON_ID=200098559

Coronach
July 6, 2006, 05:39 PM
There is also conjecture that he spent some time under psychiatric care.That is what I would call "a safe bet."

Mike

freedom and guns
July 6, 2006, 05:48 PM
I get it now. He meant Barrage Balloons That's funny!:D http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/gifs/British_LCT.jpg

Chipperman
July 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
-Well, we do know that Gun kid managed to shoot two people. Of course, they were both him. He shot himself in the foot with a .22 then poured scalding water over his foot as he couldn’t afford to go to a doctor. They second time he allegedly shot himself in the belt buckle with a .45. He has admitted to at least a ˝ dozen accidental discharges on various boards;

Am I a bad person for chuckling when I read this? :evil:

M2 Carbine
July 6, 2006, 06:00 PM
I'm glad he was finally brought down.

He is obviously such a whacked out pyscho that I really expected to read of him killing some innocent people.:(

Optical Serenity
July 6, 2006, 09:28 PM
Good job to the ex-wife and the federal officers in this case. Seems like a bad scumbag has finally been taken care of.

trickyasafox
July 6, 2006, 10:27 PM
am i the only person who expected gunkid to be a kid? and not as old as my father?

XavierBreath
July 6, 2006, 10:31 PM
June 19 should be an internet day of celebration.

It's over folks. John Davis is/was Gunkid/Hardin/Andy or whatever else he chose to call himself. Lets just hope he goes to a prison with no internet access.

G36-UK
July 6, 2006, 10:44 PM
Am I a bad person for chuckling when I read this?

Well, then we'd both be bad people.

This guy sounds like a real headcase. I feel sorry for the mods who had to put up with him. I suppose it's yet another reason to buy them pints if they come over here.

Larry Ashcraft
July 6, 2006, 10:52 PM
Lets just hope he goes to a prison with no internet access.
Probably wouldn't be a big problem for the mods to block the whole prison he's in. :evil:
I suppose it's yet another reason to buy them pints if they come over here.
I'm on my way! :D

Preacherman
July 6, 2006, 11:05 PM
Don't worry - Federal prisons don't allow inmates to have Internet access. And since his arrest is for a "gun crime", he'll almost certainly start out in a high-security prison, where his unit buddies will be the worst of the worst trash you can think of. Hope he enjoys himself . . . :evil:

joab
July 6, 2006, 11:24 PM
How do we know it is actually gunkid?Oh come onShe said Davis made “numerous comments” about not going back to prison, claiming he would “disrupt the economy by poisoning the water supply and knocking out the communication system.”Sorry, but I got here late

mountainclmbr
July 6, 2006, 11:32 PM
This is very funny! With me it ties with the PRNJ shutting down some of the government!!! Well Done and good job to moderators on this site!

TimW
July 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
In addition to all the asshattery previously mentioned, he was really good at stalking teenage girls.

If he's ever let out, it will be too soon.

Hoploholic
July 7, 2006, 12:23 AM
All I know about Gunkid is that his punch could go full distance in .5 ms and that he could out punch any draw on the planet. It has to be true, he told me so himself. :neener:

I don't wish ill on anyone so I will put this the best I can. I hope Uncle Sugar gets the poor SoB the help he needs. The good thing about him being in Klub Fed is that there is no early release. If he gets 10 years, he does 10 years.

mp510
July 7, 2006, 12:41 AM
The good thing about him being in Klub Fed is that there is no early release. If he gets 10 years, he does 10 years.
Unfortunately, I believe that there is the potential for early release from Club Fed, so long as you are sentenced to more than one year in prison. If I recall, (former) Gov. Rowland (R-CT) was able to get out of federal prison early on that program.

Justin and Vic, Thanks for clearing up my questions as to the accuracy of the story with the booking report. :)

geegee
July 7, 2006, 12:51 AM
Wow, this is amazing. The first gun board I was introduced to was shooters.com, and over there he was Hardin. All I can remember was his obsessive ramblings about the .22 and it's many underappreciated advantages as a defensive sidearm. What a piece of work. :rolleyes:

Guy B. Meredith
July 7, 2006, 01:44 AM
" Lets just hope he goes to a prison with no internet access."

When we were all over on Shooters the rumor was that Hardin (as he was known then) was trolling from the prison library computers.... :rolleyes:

Diamondback6
July 7, 2006, 01:50 AM
Good riddance to GunTroll. He was the talk of AmBack for a while...

DRZinn
July 7, 2006, 03:59 AM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy....

Nightcrawler
July 7, 2006, 06:15 AM
Okay, so I missed most of Gunkid. Can anyone type up a quick list of his more outrageous posts/suggestions/ideas? What's the deal with the wheelbarrow? :scrutiny:

EddieCoyle
July 7, 2006, 07:47 AM
Don't flame me for this but... I'm going to kinda miss him. His posts could be pretty entertaining if you didn't let him get under your skin. Of course, if I was a moderator I'm sure I would feel differently - talk about high maintenance.

Looking through the links posted in this thread (and the additional links in the linked threads), I find it truly amazing that someone could be so notorious on so many fora.

I really thought he was a kid. To find out that he's a 54 year old man makes me feel downright mature for my age.

Ryder
July 7, 2006, 10:40 AM
He was such a prolific poster that one message board gave him his own sub-forum. He was a one man message board. The more you post the more people will disagree with you. You can't please everybody and flock mentality simply does not allow for pure free speech. He was a black sheep but he singled himself out for the persecution.

His theories were not in agreement with mine. His postings did cause me to think about these things from different angles though and that's something I will always be appreciative of. Even so I could only stand a very limited amount of reading him before feeling I had overdosed.

I wish nobody bad for their thoughts, possessions, or activities where nobody has been hurt but if he is indeed a thief he deserves anything he gets. That still needs to be proven though. I for one never heard of a woman having a storage locker full of guns. Sounds probable to me that the unit was simply registered in her name and the stuff belonged to him in the first place. It makes no sense to me that he would be so honest as to admit being a felon in possession then turn out to be a thief.

Beachmaster
July 7, 2006, 10:59 AM
Agents later searched the Norman storage unit and seized a 9 millimeter pistol, a .22 caliber pistol, a .45 caliber pistol, a .223 caliber rifle, a Colt pistol, possible silencers, gun parts and more than 10,900 bullets of various calibers

How are you supposed to carry 10,900 bullets in your tactical wheelbarrow without causing a flat tire from the weight?

Preacherman
July 7, 2006, 11:01 AM
Beachmaster, that's simple - use a solid tire, without anything inside. Gunkid would understand the concept - he used a solid brain for years . . . :neener:

Red Tornado
July 7, 2006, 11:27 AM
How are you supposed to carry 10,900 bullets in your tactical wheelbarrow without causing a flat tire from the weight?

That's probably 10,500 .22 LR rounds. Gunkid knew the advantage of the .22 and surely wouldn't burden himself with unnecessary ammo. :rolleyes: Glad he's no longer a danger to innocents. However, as mentioned, he did make you think sometimes. Usually you thought, "Is he insane, or does he have some unconventional point?" Then you think a little more and realize, "Yeah, he's just insane."
RT

shooterwolf
July 7, 2006, 11:34 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he also known as andy? If this is the case, you read his exploits and ramblings on the armslocker forums. What a nutcase!

Nightcrawler
July 7, 2006, 11:39 AM
Will somebody please tell me what the deal with the wheelbarrow is? :confused:

cvb
July 7, 2006, 11:42 AM
as far back as TFL, GK has advocated the use of the tactical wheelbarrow to
carry all yous ammo/ guns esp the AR with the 22 upper. Somehow I thought
that was funny, thoughtful yes but funny as heck until I started seeing them at the local 3 gun matches.

SuperNaut
July 7, 2006, 11:48 AM
I'm imagining the GunKid Tactical Wheelbarrow (tm) now:

Ti frame, run flat tire, 30lpi checkered handgrips, stainless bucket, picatinny rails on each side...

Uh-oh, I think I want one!

Justin
July 7, 2006, 12:00 PM
Sounds probable to me that the unit was simply registered in her name and the stuff belonged to him in the first place. It makes no sense to me that he would be so honest as to admit being a felon in possession then turn out to be a thief.

He was already a convicted felon to begin with, so I have a hard time understanding how the guns could possibly be his.

Leif
July 7, 2006, 12:07 PM
Was Gunkid the same as LuckyinKentucky of the great Dragunov showdown on TFL a while back?

Does a list of his aliases exist somewhere?

roscoe
July 7, 2006, 01:05 PM
That was a different guy, I believe. But what a great thread that was!! "My brother did it"! That one had me laughing!

lbmii
July 7, 2006, 01:39 PM
I will bet this weeks paycheck that Gunkid was not wearing a shirt when he was arrested at his trailer home. :evil:

the 22 junkie
July 7, 2006, 04:09 PM
Is gunkid like that guy the mall ninja, whats his name, gecko-45 i think it was?

mp510
July 7, 2006, 04:23 PM
It makes no sense to me that he would be so honest as to admit being a felon in possession then turn out to be a thief.

A majority of the guns that convicted felons have were stolen from their legal owners, and sold on the black market. Other ones comes from private transactions that don't involve a NICS check, and the seller has no clue that the buyer is an convict. And, if your gunkid, some of your firearms are home made.

The Grand Inquisitor
July 7, 2006, 05:40 PM
I remember this human defect was on every shooting board for about three years writing book length posts about how the Steyr M and S series pistols had severe manufacturing errors and were blowing up in record numbers.

He would write pages and pages about the various defects of the pistols, but he was never quite able to find one example of a Steyr pistol blowing up. Regardless, he was sure that all of us who had run a few thousand rounds threw our Steyr's were on the next hurse to the funeral home...but lo' and behold...no one ever reported a Steyr blowing up.

All of our religious members should begin saying prayers for the psych staff at whatever prison gunkid will be staying at...they all are going to need a little divine intervention in order to stop themselves from either jumping off a bridge or strangling our dear friend.

IZinterrogator
July 8, 2006, 12:36 AM
Was Gunkid the same as LuckyinKentucky of the great Dragunov showdown on TFL a while back?Nah, Lucky was going to use a .338 Lapua for the match and insisted everyone use something bigger than .30 caliber. Gunkid would have used a .22LR, touting its aerodynamic advantage or some other garbage...

I still want to kick Lucky's ass for the "I'm a Marine sniper" statement.

Mr Kablammo
July 8, 2006, 01:38 AM
Gunkid... Gott im Himmel, the very definition of the 'tar baby'. What a hoot and a dope that guy was. He was all over the place, in many different ways. Thanks for posting this information. For those of us who were not in the know this is a kind of closure to learn the name and fate of 'The Gunkid'. Shouldn't there be a ceremony of some kind to retire his username? Sounding of 'Taps'.

P95Carry
July 8, 2006, 01:42 AM
Unfortunately - GunKid was only his first name of notoriety.

More followed over the years than you can shake a stick at!! Hardin was another but there were so many I forget them.

I have said already - were I to receive $5 for every time he was banned from many boards - I would be able to go buy a high end loaded 1911 ;)

JohnKSa
July 8, 2006, 03:37 AM
Does a list of his aliases exist somewhere?There are lists, but there is no complete list.

He's been banned here many times and I don't think anyone kept track of all of the names he's used here. Folks got good at recognizing his trademarks so he'd register under a new name, post a few times and get banned.

It would be impossible for a single person to know all his aliases.

You can do an internet search on hardin or gunkid and get more information than you really care to know...

Here are some names he has used on the net, but this is not an exhaustive list by any means.

Sweaty
andy
gunkid
GK
The Man
Hardin
kiddo
kiddo blue
yessir
doddi
JD
John Davis
Colt 45
Amanda
Big & Bad (or variants thereof)
eyeballz
snowballz (a whole *ballz series on one board)
metoo
shucks
makit
QD
Murphy
Maria
Lawrenceof
Dispatch
Okedoke
Billydee
yeahme
tobe

XavierBreath
July 8, 2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41954&stc=1&d=1152367139

armoredman
July 8, 2006, 12:08 PM
NICE! Not quite, I think his AW had a gunshield he could mount his CAR with 22 kit and supressor on, or somesuch like that.
BTW, old, bad physical shape inmates have another name - target. Anyone lay odds he's already PC'd up?
No inmate access to computers in AZ, but years ago, there was, and that cause LOTS of hate and discontent!
Ah, Johnny, you have a new definition to "covering your six", now....

Ryder
July 8, 2006, 12:46 PM
He was already a convicted felon to begin with, so I have a hard time understanding how the guns could possibly be his.

My guess is he supplied the money and she bought them for him (as any wife would do). She decided to keep them when they split up since her name is on the paperwork. When he repo'ed what he believed to be his rightful property she had no choice but to report them as her stolen to cover her straw purchase crimes. Failure to do so would be an admission of guilt on her part if he was ever caught with the guns and they were traced back to her.

tuna
July 8, 2006, 01:18 PM
There were similarites in the mall ninja and gunkid, but I'm pretty sure that the mall ninja was supposed to be joke and just took off. Gunkid wasn't trying to be a joke, he just was. He had some good ideas, but they were outweighed by his really stupid ones. Not only that, he felt that any ideas that conflicted with his had to be wrong. His manner was way too abrasive and caused people to react negativley to him. All he had to do was post in his distinctive manner, and the worst in all of us would come out and we'd all sink to his level.

Good riddance to scum...

Mrs. Armoredman
July 8, 2006, 01:21 PM
I know I have not posted in a while but I could not resist this thread. I say give his ex-wife a medal and she should be given an award for putting up with him as long as she did.

RTP GK Return to prision (again). HA HA HA I am glad they finally got him. I hope he never hurts anyone ever again.

bogie
July 8, 2006, 03:49 PM
LuckyinKentucky (or whatever his name was...) didn't really comprehend that he was attempting to wager with some of the more accomplished shooters in the world... And you know something? If he'd actually put the fundage in escrow, I was gonna bring in a ringer... A thousand yard recordholder...

Double Naught Spy
July 8, 2006, 03:58 PM
http://ipsc.org/cconf.htm

This was interesting, following the links from Glocktalk. First row and fourth down of the IPSC Preamble signers. John M. Davis

Eleven Mike
July 8, 2006, 04:55 PM
Is gunkid like that guy the mall ninja?Please don't compare the two. The mall ninja was joking, even if he did get a little caustic toward those who took him seriously. But they deserved it.:)

Justin
July 8, 2006, 06:27 PM
My guess is he supplied the money and she bought them for him (as any wife would do). She decided to keep them when they split up since her name is on the paperwork. When he repo'ed what he believed to be his rightful property she had no choice but to report them as her stolen to cover her straw purchase crimes. Failure to do so would be an admission of guilt on her part if he was ever caught with the guns and they were traced back to her.

Except that he was unemployed. He also stole more than just guns from her.

Unless he was having her buy jewelry for him, too.

Sorry, but Davis is one of the most despicable human beings I've ever had to deal with.

saltforkgunman
July 8, 2006, 09:31 PM
She said a month and a half ago that Davis stole all her guns and stuff.

gezzer
July 8, 2006, 10:44 PM
EddieCoyle
Don't flame me for this but... I'm going to kinda miss him.

Got to agree with you, But you do need a sophisticated sense of humor! The other funny posts were Malbu King of TEOTWAWKI.

However, glad to see he gets to be someone’s B%$#@ again, good riddance to trash.
:neener:

velojym
July 9, 2006, 02:09 AM
Good riddance to bad rubbish, and all that.
But...
Some of the charges, and likely much of what inspired the investigation which led to his capture was probably a lot of mala prohibita crap. Stuff some of us are 'guilty' of doing from time to time whether we know it or not. In a really free world (or even country) he'd likely not survive the first couple of honest encounters with his victims.

Again, I've had many a 'discussion' with the whackjob and have no respect for him or his views.

I just wonder how close *we* are to being him, in the view of our gubmint.

I'm not real clear on it, and I don't think I have nearly all the details on his arrest, but I still have to wonder.
:uhoh:

DevLcL
July 9, 2006, 05:23 AM
I will bet this weeks paycheck that Gunkid was not wearing a shirt when he was arrested at his trailer home.

Heck, why not? How much do your checks come out to? ;)

DevLcL
July 9, 2006, 06:32 AM
http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/img_assd7/gk-barrow-005-s.jpg

Bigjake
July 9, 2006, 10:53 PM
DevLcL- muuuahahahahahahaSNORTLMAOsnickerchoke! :evil: thats too funny.

the thing i find funniest about this whole thing, is the internet reaction. Every friggin gun board on the net is celebrating this glorious day. the dude was infamous.

I propose a new THR holiday, best put to words by Lawdog:

06/19/2006 was a truly Red Letter Day among the Internet Gun Forums.

show of hands??

Bigjake
July 9, 2006, 10:56 PM
Good riddance to bad rubbish, and all that.
But...
Some of the charges, and likely much of what inspired the investigation which led to his capture was probably a lot of mala prohibita crap. Stuff some of us are 'guilty' of doing from time to time whether we know it or not. In a really free world (or even country) he'd likely not survive the first couple of honest encounters with his victims

If ever there was a guy who DESERVED the bogus BS "silencer parts" charge, it would be hardin.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Taurus 66
July 9, 2006, 11:16 PM
Dev, are those .22s? They need to be .22s!

On a special request, can THR please get us a moving wheelbarrow emoticon showing catridges falling out around the rim?

Brass Fetcher
July 9, 2006, 11:26 PM
Is Gunkid the guy who said he duct-taped two Level IV rifle plates to his back in case he ran into a Lapua magnum (or better, it ran into him) while he was at the mall?

That thread was priceless. :rolleyes:

Lupinus
July 9, 2006, 11:38 PM
TEOTWAWKI pit stops anyone?

http://www.freewebs.com/pictester/wheelpitstop.jpg

Eleven Mike
July 9, 2006, 11:49 PM
Is Gunkid the guy who said he duct-taped two Level IV rifle plates to his back in case he ran into a Lapua magnum (or better, it ran into him) while he was at the mall?
No! That was gecko45, who was joking. Gunkid was entirely serious, apparently, and was far too full of himself to even pretend at being a mall-cop. He couldn't have been one due to his criminal record, one hopes.

Please don't compare the two. The mall ninja was joking, even if he did get a little caustic toward those who took him seriously. But they deserved it. :)

Guy B. Meredith
July 10, 2006, 12:34 AM
Don't forget Hardin was bossom buddy with every firearms icon since Elmer Keith. At least he didn't mention Wild Bill Hickock (SP?) or Annie Oakley.

CB900F
July 10, 2006, 01:26 AM
Fella's;

Actually GK actually did know many of the notable names in the shooting sports. He did attend the Columbia Conference & was instrumental in the founding of IPSC. He did shoot the Worlds in Rhodesia.

And - - - - he also told us about the 90 grain zinc bullets that can have a muzzle velocity of 4000 fps from a .45ACP.

Those who ran across him from the early days of his internet existance will remember him as AMANDA, posting all in caps, on Shooters.

900F

WinchesterAA
July 10, 2006, 01:32 AM
I had no idea he was so widespread..

I joined full-auto.com a while after he did, but he was going strong there.

Old Fud
July 10, 2006, 01:32 AM
What we all need is a shooters toolbox wheelbarrow.

I'm wondering what would happen if I should happen to go to Chabot range (Largest one in SF East Bay) and casually truck my stuff from the parking line down to the firing line in my specially prepared Wheelbarrow.

Sound practical to me.
Sounds like the perfect way to celebrate a moment in our history too.

Fud

Gordy Wesen
July 10, 2006, 02:19 AM
Plenty of people are jerks. Some are worse than others. I can think of a few who have done far more damage to my family than Gunkid did to others.
It doesn't mean he should be outed on "the high road" with Mods confirming it and everybody jumping up and down.
Internet forums are anonymous, it should stay that way... even if a guys a jerk. :)

DevLcL
July 10, 2006, 04:24 AM
I'm sure others will reply with more athority on the matter, but from what I've read he seems to have violated "The High Road" rules.

To put it bluntly, gunkid is the troll's troll.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dev, are those .22s? They need to be .22s!

Actually you'll have to ask P95Carry as he originally posted the picture.

-Dev

CB900F
July 10, 2006, 09:30 AM
Gordy;

Gunkid, AMANDA, Hardin, etc., was outed long ago on the Shooter's forum. That had to be close to 10 years ago now. It's way too late to point your finger in that direction.

900F

Autolycus
July 10, 2006, 06:10 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/JovanJ347/gunkidelite5ko.jpg

and another...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/JovanJ347/gunkid3.jpg

and one more...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/JovanJ347/gunkid5hn.jpg

SLCDave
July 10, 2006, 06:59 PM
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9576/monopolyjail2nt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Have a nice time.

Taurus 66
July 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
Tecumseh,

Originally posted by Vic303
Nope! Not in MY shelter anyway! Although if he were...it'd give me a good excuse to testfire the FAL!

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zlxaht.jpg

Courtesy bpullig at www.glocktalk.com

;)

NineseveN
July 10, 2006, 07:41 PM
Tecumseh:

That's awesome! :D

I should probably feel bad, but I don't.

Double Naught Spy
July 10, 2006, 07:55 PM
Geez Guys, Gunkid is someday going to read threads like this and feel like an idolized martyr with a loyal following, knowing that he has had such a positive influence on so many people!

He will likely miss the whole bit about being disliked and they sue you guys with the wheel barrow pics for patent infringement.

Even worse, he will do a wheel barrow wheel-by with a very noisy silenced .22!

Autolycus
July 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
Those arent my photoshops by the way. They are off of Glocktalk.

Vic303
July 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
But it IS my shelter! Bpullig is a friend of mine...
--Vic303

Erich
July 10, 2006, 08:34 PM
I just saw this over on Warriortalk - wow; I always thought the guy was mentally ill.

Zen21Tao
July 11, 2006, 07:56 AM
I must admit that I am going to miss GunKid/Hardin too.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6877/gunkidwarrior7uu.jpg

Kodiak AK
July 11, 2006, 04:34 PM
So what books did he write anyway?

P95Carry
July 11, 2006, 04:37 PM
I expect some digging on Paladin Press might yield the titles - but IIRC he wrote on stuff like suppressors (make your own) and probably too material on how to make 80% frames and the uses of .22 in survival!

gunsmith
July 11, 2006, 05:14 PM
I posted a question once and he flamed me like crazy!

I was angry but I figured he was just a 14 year old with a 12 year old attitude.

gunsmith
July 11, 2006, 05:23 PM
really is a 14 year old and is still active

Zen21Tao
July 11, 2006, 05:49 PM
So what books did he write anyway?

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2083/survivalfordummiescopy4bu.jpg

Deaf Smith
July 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
I must thank you guys for all the new JPGs of Gunkid (and his wheelbarrow.) I am now collecting the set.

Yes I knew gunkid back in the days of shooters.com. He was a pest then, and the longer he posted the more weird he got. We did know back then he was John Davis, cause Tony of Milt Sparks outed him (and we knew Tony was real.)

He is were he is cause of himself. No one else. Even with a felony conviction you can go to college in prison and come out with a degree. He could have done that in his 14 years he had in the pen. He didn't (I bet he ran his mouth off the whole time about how sly he is and how bad he is.)

I don't even feel sorry for him. He had more chances than most. I have a cousin that got busted for car theft many years ago. Spent time in the Lousiana state pin. He, even though he is not real smart, now owns a tree trimming service, is married, and reasonable ok (and he did not get any school while in prison.) There is no reason for John Davis to be in the pen except for what thieving and lieing he did. He knew the laws and he ignored them as he sold his ex's property and skipped the state.

I guess he will now become intertainment once more as he goes to trial. I bet it's a short trial.

Deaf

Eleven Mike
July 13, 2006, 02:52 AM
I bet it's a short trial.Not if they put his big mouth on the stand. :)

Warren
July 13, 2006, 02:57 AM
Now that he is bottled up and will stay for a while can the various gunboard owners sue him for tresspassing and get some judgements against him as payback?

sturmruger
July 13, 2006, 11:45 AM
Did anyone find it ironic that he was arrested in his van with a .22 pistol!!!!

sterling180
July 16, 2006, 06:28 PM
received this from a member on my boards (John in AR) and thought I'd share with the THR community for obvious reasons. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this, and I despite my feelings on convicted felons being permanently stripped of their rights, Gunkid was a repeat felon and a danger to himself and anyone dumb enough to actually listen to him. I'm glad he's in custody.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Michaelryan190.jpg

"Oh looky,looky an unarmed man-must get him,with my AK."

I hope that he stays in whatever hole,they put him in and throw away the key.In saying this I wish that the government could send him in a time machine,back to Hungerford,England,in 1987-totally unarmed-where he could be Micheal Ryans plaything.Then we could see how tough he really is,against another dangerous psychopath,who thought that it was good fun to kill people.

Please note that the above is part of karma,'what goes around comes around'.I think that he liked guns,because it gave him unlimited powers,to be quite vicious towards society-not for the same reasons that all of us on this forum,use them for.

The trouble is we don't know whether he is truely evil or sufferes from a mental illness-that requires medical care.If he is truely evil,then the above statement should happen.

Im sure that he will be crapping bricks,if he saw Micheal Ryan.

redneck2
July 16, 2006, 09:19 PM
This wheelbarrow thing needs to be investigated.

Does it need side boards for extra capacity??

Kevlar handles for strength and weight reduction?

Is it armor plated??

If you lay down behind it, will a nuclear blast be deflected??

I can't imagine that just any old Home Depot wheelbarrow will do. Maybe somebody here has the book.

Guy B. Meredith
July 17, 2006, 01:47 AM
Old Fud,

I'll join you in the Chabot wheel barrow run if I can load mine in your vehicle. I don't have one large enough for the barrow. Don't know what I'm going to do when TSHTF.

just one question
July 17, 2006, 01:55 AM
I wasn't on any boards during his time here...but he seems like a character to say the least.

So.... how was it so easy to spot him I saw a few post of his a GT (I lurk occasionally) and I would not have known it was him every time...but the other people could spot it easy.

Eleven Mike
July 17, 2006, 03:45 AM
The trouble is we don't know whether he is truely evil or sufferes from a mental illnessThere's a difference?

Zen21Tao
July 17, 2006, 08:24 AM
So.... how was it so easy to spot him I saw a few post of his a GT (I lurk occasionally) and I would not have known it was him every time...but the other people could spot it easy.

I think there were 2 main ways.

1. The way he talked/typed.
Most people have a writting style that can be recognized. For example, they misspell the say words, use the same phrases or expressions, use the same type of sentence structure, etc. In the case of GK I wasn't familure with him enough to know his idiosyncrasies so I can't tell you what they were. However, I recall others noting them in the past.

2. The specific things he typed
GK was very fond of .22s and would eventually end up touting what he thought were the many benefits of using .22s. He also would talk about the use of ARs especially .22 uppers on ARs. Also, he wouldn't pass up the oppertunity to talk about his beloved silencers and their use with subsonic ammo. When the conversation turns to a statement that past 100 yards a silenced .22 AR with subsonic ammo can out shoot a .308 or .30-06 then you could pretty much bet it was GK.

Erich
July 17, 2006, 10:56 AM
Stupid comment, Eleven Mike. :mad: Not appropriate.

There are all sorts of people suffering from mental illness who are not evil. Look at the DSM-IV-TR for the hundreds mental disorders that people can have. The vast majority of these people are not evil. While someone who is clinically depressed, or has obsessive-compulsive disorder or schizophrenia or any other of a myriad of mental disorders certainly may be evil, the mere fact that a person is so afflicted does not make him so.

Werewolf
July 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
:
The trouble is we don't know whether he is truely evil or sufferes from a mental illness
There's a difference?
That's a really interesting question that prompts one to question the very nature of evil itself.

From a practical standpoint does it matter if a serial killer who tortures his victims to death does it because of a recognized mental illness like schizophrenia or a tumor or the killing is done because the killer made a concious decision to do so just because it gratified some need of the perpetrator and was in full control of his faculties? The end result is the same - a lot of dead people. A good example of this would be that Whitman guy who killed a bunch of people from the tower at the University of Texas. An autopsy revealed he suffered from a tumor that would/could have caused the behavior that led to the killings. Was Whitman evil? Or just a victim of the tumor he had? Does it even matter?

On the other hand from a philosophical point of view both the law and most folk, I imagine, do take into account intent and mental capacity. If the nature of one's mind is such that one has no choice but to commit what would otherwise be called evil is the commiter of the act evil or is it just the act that is evil? Are the act and the actor inextricably conjoined and thus one in the same which can lead only to a conclusion that one with mental illness who commits evil acts is thus evil? Or can the actor and the act be seperated and the act deemed evil while the actor is deemed not? Does it even matter? An example of that would be Hitler who has been diagnosed with megalomania and was also a drug addict. He was by current standards mentally ill (unless Megalomania is a neurosis which is just a defect and not considered a mental illness - but then there were the drugs - society now generally considers drug addiction an illness rather than a choice). Was he evil or just a victim of his illness? Ask 100 people that question and I imagine the answer would be that he was evil. Change the name and describe the person and acts making sure that the questionees know the perpetrator was mentally ill and would the responses be the same?

Is it choice that defines evil?

What a conundrum? What are the answers?

Biker
July 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
Interesting question, Werewolf, and likely one with no clear answer. I would vote choice. For me, a dog lover (No! Not like that!:neener: ), King's book "Cujo" would be a prime example of the ability to choose to be taken from an otherwise good creature. To follow Cujo's transformation from a people loving Saint Bernard to a flesh rending machine is both heart breaking and mind opening.
BTW, the movie does the book no justice, IMO.

Biker

GEM
July 17, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evil is a social construct for the most part. There - I explained it.

Some folks think there is a core of perhaps evolutionary set actions that are considered unacceptable. Incest, killing babies and the like.

However, even those become acceptable in some societies.

Some folks might invoke a set of supposedly supernaturally defined principles as defining evil but one can find adherents of those principles doing some pretty horrible things.

Thus - evil is just what your socialization and perhaps evolutionary biology says.

I will explain the rest of the universe later.

mp510
July 17, 2006, 12:41 PM
I bet the trial will be a short one.

Not if they put his big mouth on the stand.

But the deliberations will be:neener:

Werewolf
July 17, 2006, 01:45 PM
Interesting question, Werewolf, and likely one with no clear answer. I would vote choice.Choice must surely be one component of what differentiates evil from mentally ill but it cannot be the only one. Why not? If choice were the only component then the allies in WWII would unquestionably be evil as they chose to bomb purely civilian targets with the intent to cause terror and hopefully destroy morale and inevitbly the enemy's will to fight. Killing to cause terror would I think be defined as evil by most folks but rarely have I heard anyone say the bombing of civilians in Germany and Japan was evil (well - actually I talked to a number of Germans about that in the early 70's - surprisingly the ones who actually lived thru the war didn't have a problem with the bombing - meaning to them it was just a fact of war and not inherently evil - while the younger Germans born well after the war did in general consider the bombing of civilians just to kill civilians evil).

So choice is one but not the only factor in defining evil.

What other factors besides intent and choice would be necessary to completely and truely define evil?

PATH
July 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
The man is obviously mentally unstable. I used to think he was some sort of Jester but he appeared after a time to take himself seriously. I thought the Assauly Wheelbarrow was particularly funny though. I laughed so hard I nearly soiled my pants!

Can we have a list of sites he frequented?:D

Biker
July 17, 2006, 02:00 PM
Anyone who has ever taken a life might say that no pleasure was derived from the act. If pleasure *was* a consequence, aside from the revenge factor gained from perhaps killing the rapist who destroyed/ended your wife/daughter, insert whoever, then this could be construed as evil.
A certain 'satisfaction factor' might come into play knowing that the deceased will never again do harm, but pleasure should not be part of the equation.
Damn, hope y'all are ready to go fishin' 'cause I do believe that I just opened a can o' worms, methinks.

Biker

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
July 17, 2006, 02:32 PM
So this was the guy....

You know, there are quite a few entries that come up when you google
"tactical wheelbarrow". :neener:

Eleven Mike
July 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
Erich, if you'd like to think I said that all mentally ill people are evil, I suppose it doesn't hurt anything. Go ahead. :rolleyes:

Werewolf
July 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
Anyone who has ever taken a life might say that no pleasure was derived from the act. If pleasure *was* a consequence, aside from the revenge factor gained from perhaps killing the rapist who destroyed/ended your wife/daughter, insert whoever, then this could be construed as evil.
A certain 'satisfaction factor' might come into play knowing that the deceased will never again do harm, but pleasure should not be part of the equation.
Damn, hope y'all are ready to go fishin' 'cause I do believe that I just opened a can o' worms, methinks.
Hmmmmm...

So ridding the world of a mad dog killer rapist and not taking any joy in the act is good but taking pleasure in it would be evil? Not sure I agree with that. I'm real sure I don't understand it. Why should good not celebrate the destruction of evil whenever and however it may occur?

And then there's a real, real fine line between satisfaction and pleasure if indeed they aren't one and the same just with different degrees. Not sure why taking satisfaction in a deed that causes harm is not evil while taking pleasure in it would be.

Maybe it comes down to the consequences of the act? If the result, on balance ends in more good than harm is it good? Or does it remain evil. If it is good does that not open up the can of worms called "the end justifies the means"?

If you enjoyed reading about "Say goodbye to Gunkid..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!