Police union supports mayors plan to ban CCW in Lincoln

PDA

skers69
July 6, 2006, 02:40 PM
I have forgotten how out of touch my old home town could be. Well I just got a reminder. Check this out.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/07/06/local/doc44ad3692f345c993475842.txt

Why is it that city officials do not think citizens who obey the law can not handle ccw? This is just another reason why I probably will never move back to my old home town. Not sure why these people can not grasp the fact that backround checks will be done on all applicants. 99.9 % of ccw folks are the ones on the right side of the law. :banghead: :cuss: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Police union supports mayors plan to ban CCW in Lincoln" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ-100
July 6, 2006, 06:01 PM
Because they want to control you.

Clipper
July 6, 2006, 06:20 PM
...Is that just as in my own union (UAW), the handful of people who make the decisions on what and who the union will support, haven't got the slightest interest in what the rank-and-file have to say anyway. For instance, a few years ago the UAW endorsed a certain Democrat (of course) canidate for Governor in Michigan's democratic primary, calling the other democratic canidate dangerous, and irresponsible, and several other less than complimentary suprilatives...Until their boy lost, and suddenly the dangerous & irresponsible guy was Michigan's only hope! I've always said that Mother Theresa could run as a Republican against Adolph Hitler as a Democrat, and they'd still go with the Dem... Then they express surprise that 80% of UAW members vote Republican...But I digress. I'll bet that the average cop on the street wasn't even asked for his/her opinion, and the union leadership is pulling numbers out of thin air, and the cop who disagrees is thus intimidated by the 'overwhelming' numbers against him/her to keep their opinion to themselves.

1911Tuner
July 6, 2006, 06:35 PM
*yawn*

They'll probably do it, and most of the people who carry with a permit will continue to carry just like they did before they could get the permit. Thumbing one's nose at a mandate that "bans" one's right to self-defense and defense of one's family is a fine, old American tradition that was clearly demonstrated on 19 April, 1775. Do these weenies really believe that nobody ever, EVER carried a gun before they gave'em their permission?

Talk about livin' in a dream state...:rolleyes:

Pilgrim
July 6, 2006, 07:40 PM
Does the police union ever conduct fundraising activities counting on the support of the general public?

MCgunner
July 6, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hey, Clipper, do you ever get upset that your dues money goes to support democrats? What you describe is probably the number one reason unions have lost so much support over the recent decades. When I was a kid, they were strong in Texas. No more. They've dug a hole and buried themselves in their politics, IMHO.

kansas45
July 6, 2006, 08:10 PM
WELL! OF ALL THE NERVE! I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MONEY FOR THE POLICE MAN"S BALL!!! :neener: :neener: :neener:

308win
July 6, 2006, 08:24 PM
My younger brother was active in the FOP and was on the statewide board that dealt with pensions until the FOP came out against CCW and everything else gun related in Illinois. He has pretty much written the FOP off as in the control of the politicians which in Illinois pretty much means Cook County and the collar counties.

Here in Ohio the FOP was against the CCW as were the organization of Chiefs of Police and the OHP. Two or three times a year I get a call from the FOP or the OHP wanting me to donate money and I politely decline without elaboration unless I know for sure that it is a member and not a fundraising org. doing the solicitation then I tell them matter of factly why I am declining which is usually met with an "uh, OK have a good evening".

carpettbaggerr
July 7, 2006, 01:16 AM
Home - JournalStar.com

404 - Page Unavailable

We're sorry, we were unable to find the page you were looking for. It may no longer be available on this site. Please contact us if you feel you have reached this page in error.

Baba Louie
July 7, 2006, 07:54 AM
Council unsure of concealed weapons ban
BY DEENA WINTER / Lincoln Journal Star

Lincoln Police Chief Tom Casady keeps a small file of gun permits he wishes he’d never had to sign.

His name is stamped on thousands of $5 gun permits issued in the 1990s, some of which ended in bloodshed the very day he signed them. Some ended in suicide. Others in violent crimes. One ended in a double murder-suicide.

He says police officers’ opposition to conceal-carry legislation is borne out of experiences like his.

“It’s foolhardy to believe that bad things won’t happen when people are carrying guns,” he said during a Thursday press conference to announce the Lincoln Police Union’s support of Mayor Coleen Seng’s proposal to ban concealed weapons in Lincoln.

Seng’s proposal would exempt Lincoln when the state begins allowing law-abiding people to get $100 permits to carry concealed weapons next year, after firearms training and a background check.

Tim Tyrrell — a disabled veteran who recently brought a pistol to the City Council chambers to make the point that people still would be able to carry unconcealed guns even if Seng’s proposal passes — said criminals won’t be deterred by a concealed weapons ban.

“If somebody is bent on ending their existence, lack of a firearm is not going to stop them,” he said. “The people that the chief is worried about are already carrying firearms, and they’re not gonna stop. And those aren’t the kind who are gonna go down and apply for a (concealed weapons) permit.”

However, it appears Seng will have to round up another vote on the City Council to get the ordinance passed. Three council members support her ban; three are undecided; and one wants to delay action for a year. She may be able to convert two of the undecided council members, since they’re fellow Democrats.

Surprisingly, her proposed ban is supported by Councilman Ken Svoboda, a Republican who plans to run for mayor next year. Svoboda doesn’t like the state concealed weapons law, which goes into effect in January.

To break a potential stalemate, he is checking into the legality of Lincoln adding more offenses to the list that would keep people from getting concealed weapon permits, such as stalking, violating a protection order, impersonating a peace officer and indecent exposure.

“I’d like to be able to say we found a compromise,” Svoboda said.

The fact that people convicted of such serious misdemeanors could get the permits is Police Chief Casady’s main beef with the state legislation. He said Thursday he wouldn’t oppose the state law if it didn’t have “gaping loopholes” for people convicted of such crimes.

The other council member eyeing the mayor’s race, Republican Jon Camp, would prefer to put off any action on the issue for a year. He wants to allow the state conceal-carry law to go into effect and see what happens. He called Seng’s proposal a knee-jerk reaction bordering on feel-good legislation.

“I think the mayor ... is playing on people’s emotions more than anything,” he said. He said she should instead focus on more important issues, like trying to avoid using the new increased property valuations to balance her budget.

The third Republican on the council, Robin Eschliman, is undecided. She said she’s hearing from people on both sides of the issue, with opinions split about 50-50.

Seng will get unwavering support from Councilman Dan Marvin, a Democrat. He said the state has banned concealed weapons since 1873 and that seems to have worked out well. But Democrats Annette McRoy and Patte Newman haven’t staked out positions yet.

McRoy said she’s conflicted on the issue, but respects the opinions of Lincoln’s police officers. Newman said she wouldn’t mind putting the issue before voters, but doesn’t know if that’s an option. The other Democrat on the council, Jonathan Cook, wasn’t available for comment but is expected to support the ban.

The council will hold a public hearing on Seng’s ban during its July 31 meeting. The council normally votes the following week.

Reach Deena Winter at 473-2642 or dwinter@journalstar.com.

If you go

What: Lincoln City Council public hearing on mayor’s proposal to ban concealed weapons in Lincoln.

When: July 31 meeting, which starts at 5:30 p.m.

Where: County-City Building, 555 S. 10th St.

1911Tuner
July 7, 2006, 08:13 AM
>It’s foolhardy to believe that bad things won’t happen when people are carrying guns,” he said during a Thursday press conference to announce the Lincoln Police Union’s support of Mayor Coleen Seng’s proposal to ban concealed weapons in Lincoln.<

Perfect example of the Blissninny/Cradle to Grave mindset.

"Nobody ever carried a gun under a shirt until they got permission form Big Brother!"

:rolleyes:

And:

>If somebody is bent on ending their existence, lack of a firearm is not going to stop them.< (Add: Commit murder and mayhem)

The voice of reason speaketh truth instead of trying to make us believe that a concealed weapon ban would somehow prevent a desparate man from blowing his own brains out...or someone else's.

Methinks that Big Brother liveth in a self created Shangri-la.

Note to the Chief Cassady:

Hay Cheef! Folks are gonna carry their guns whether you make it legal or not...whether you like it or not. See...Americans just don't like to be told what to do when what they're doin' is within their rights...God-given rights,
not state-granted priveleges. Get used to it.

steve635
July 7, 2006, 12:09 PM
So let me get this straight. Stopping CCW will prevent suicide? Do these people not realize they are carrying a weapon and sneak up on themselves? Or perhaps they decided to go out for the evening and top it off with a bullet to the skull, rather than waiting until they got home. I defy anyone to show an iota of logic in this statement, yet this silliness gets uncontested reporting.

Lone_Gunman
July 7, 2006, 12:15 PM
I wonder if these policemen helped confiscate firearms in New Orleans?

Puritanical Misanthropia
July 7, 2006, 02:12 PM
Cops would like nothing better than to make America like England where you can get by with breaking into someone's house, but defending yourself in any way is illegal.

sparx
July 7, 2006, 02:57 PM
To break a potential stalemate, he is checking into the legality of Lincoln adding more offenses to the list that would keep people from getting concealed weapon permits, such as... indecent exposure.
I can see the other reasons as valid, but this one?? Perhaps it's "proof" that a person convicted of indecent exposure can't properly conceal?

sparx
July 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
I guess it's too hard for him to see the differences between these two:

His name is stamped on thousands of $5 gun permits issued in the 1990s, some of which ended in bloodshed the very day he signed them. Some ended in suicide. Others in violent crimes. One ended in a double murder-suicide.
versus

Seng’s proposal would exempt Lincoln when the state begins allowing law-abiding people to get $100 permits to carry concealed weapons next year, after firearms training and a background check.
Let's see... $5 versus an extra $95, firearms training and a background check. Yep, I see a lot of criminals and suicide-bound nuts just waiting to go through all that before they commit their dirty deeds.

Leanwolf
July 7, 2006, 03:17 PM
"Lincoln Police Chief Tom Casady keeps a small file of gun permits he wishes he’d never had to sign.

His name is stamped on thousands of $5 gun permits issued in the 1990s, some of which ended in bloodshed the very day he signed them. Some ended in suicide. Others in violent crimes. One ended in a double murder-suicide."

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I wonder if all those "bloody" gun crimes/suicides ACTUALLY happened.... or are they just another one of the Big Lies told by many Chiefs of Police, who do not mind lying to keep their power over the worker peasants???

Hey, Chief Cassidy, do you have any actual documented cases to back up that statement?????

Seems kinda funny that Lincoln, Nebraska, would be the ONLY place in the United States, where that happened, when CCWs were issued. (??)

L.W.

Baba Louie
July 7, 2006, 04:04 PM
All of the anti-CCW crowd are going to sing the same old anti-CCW songs we've all been hearing sung since '87 when Florida was going to become the "Gunshine" state with "Blood in the Streets".

Almost 20 years. Same words. Different speakers. Hopefully, same results.

But only once all the do-gooders have their say (which is as it should be... to some extent).

zeke1312
July 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
Look, Lincoln, NE is the "toucy feely" San Francisco of the mid-west. Recently, a local gun pro walked into the city council meeting with a gun strapped to his waist. Since it is legal to carry open here, he made his point. One of the statements Chief Casady made some weeks ago on the subject was "guns may fall out of holsters" and "someone may leave their gun in the restroom". Yes, I'm not kidding. Both the mayor Coleen Seng (a real winner) and Casady are using subjective comments in their statements. I wrote a letter to the editor of our touchy feely newspaper who decided to edit, leaving out several web sites that refute their crap. They've got some of our city council members convinced. Funny, after the law goes into effect Jan 1, you can carry in Hordville, pop -1 but if the mayor has her way (she's lost the path long ago), Lincoln with a pop of 250k will not be able to. Oh, I forgot, there's a crime spree in Hordville, Lincoln is so "can't we just get along". The city council meets July 31. I'll be there.

MechAg94
July 8, 2006, 12:43 PM
Do not take counsel of your fears.

These people are coming from a position of fear rather than sense and reason. They don't recognize that bad things are already happening and that widespread CCW will help make sure more of the bad things happen to bad people.

AirForceShooter
July 8, 2006, 12:57 PM
so when a LEO goes off duty they can't carry either.
See how long that flies.

AFS

carpettbaggerr
July 8, 2006, 08:33 PM
“It’s foolhardy to believe that bad things won’t happen when people are carrying guns,” So the Chief is in favor of disarming his entire force? Batons and Tasers only? Or does he mean that cops aren't "people"?

If you enjoyed reading about "Police union supports mayors plan to ban CCW in Lincoln" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!