Savage made Enfield Question from a beginner

PDA

jmfwsu
July 6, 2006, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I have an opportunity to get a savage enfield N. 4 MK. 1 for 159.99 at Big 5. Is this a good deal? They are supposed to be in very good condition. Should I worry about bore conditions, pitting? I can't expect the bore to be like me K31, can I? Is a two groove barrel good?

Any advise would be appreciated. I'll probably go down Saturday to pick one up. I'm on a waiting list.

Thanks,
Jason

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage made Enfield Question from a beginner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jd46561
July 6, 2006, 03:41 PM
A Savage for 159.99 is a good price , check the bore , bring a cleaning rod and a couple of patches ( I have seen dark bores only to find out that its old grease) . A 2 groove bore is as good as a 5 groove. My 2 groove 43 shoots as well as my K31,s.

Limeyfellow
July 6, 2006, 04:55 PM
If thats a good bore and looks okay with matching numbers you got a really good price for a Savage there. Normally they sell for over $200 because of the US property mark on it. Any other Lee Enfield it is a little more.

Just beware that alot of so called Savages were put together with mismatched parts and sold on later and their worth is not that great.

jlmurphy
July 6, 2006, 07:25 PM
I have found that if the bore is good at the muzzle, it is usually decent back at the chamber. It isn't easy to quickly clean a milsurp barrel, I use a pocket knife or even a paper clip to check the smoothness of the last inch of bore. Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage made Enfield Question from a beginner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!