Hunting

PDA

huskyenduro
July 6, 2006, 05:20 PM
Hello All,

Been working extensively on my accuracy with my Pietta 1860. I have very tight groups out to 25 yards. Here is the question, I would like to hunt Whitetail deer with this revolver. With 30 grains of Goex and a .454 ball what range is humane in hunting deer.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
July 6, 2006, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't hunt deer with anything, but a Ruger Old Army suitably modified in a BP revolver. I've not found many guns quite as accurate and the power can be made adequate in the gun. JMHO though.

Wwalstrom
July 6, 2006, 06:42 PM
It's not Legal in Minnesota ...

frosty
July 6, 2006, 07:31 PM
I must agree that a R.O.A or possibly a dragoon would be suitable for deer size game, and only if those shots are kept in the 30 yds and under. Groundhogs and cyotes are no problem!:evil:

KIMBER45TLE
July 6, 2006, 08:35 PM
I've done it twice with my 1858 Bison revolver. Hold shots down 30 yards and under and unless you hit solid neck bone be ready and willing to make a track. It's a nice accomplishment to take a deer that way, but having done so I've also learned it's not an immediate kill unless you break the spine. The bullet will not exit the other side on shoulder shots. It usually hangs up in the opposing rib cage. I've gone back to using my rifle as the primary on this one. I do carry the revolver as a back up just in case I need a second shot in a hurry. Use your own judgement on this one.

Low Key
July 7, 2006, 06:01 AM
Check your local hunting laws first. In some states it's legal to hunt whitetail with a bp pistol and in some states it is not.

Steve499
July 7, 2006, 10:46 AM
It's like it's been said so many times, a .22 short may be adequate with perfect shot placement and a .458 Magnum a crippler with poor placement. A .45whatever round ball in front of 30 grains of black powder will kill a deer. Dead. Every time it's placed right. If you hit that deer in it's extremities or too far back, it will run off. Every time. We all have to answer the question ourselves based on how accurately we can keep all our hits inside of that perfect shot placement area.

Steve

KIMBER45TLE
July 8, 2006, 01:03 AM
[It's like it's been said so many times, a .22 short may be adequate with perfect shot placement and a .458 Magnum a crippler with poor placement. A .45whatever round ball in front of 30 grains of black powder will kill a deer. Dead. Every time it's placed right. If you hit that deer in it's extremities or too far back, it will run off. Every time. We all have to answer the question ourselves based on how accurately we can keep all our hits inside of that perfect shot placement area.

Steve]

Well stated. Practice, practice, practice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!