Dump question of the day.

PDA

Buglight
January 4, 2003, 11:10 AM
Can you change the velocity of the cartridge say 9mm. when reloading?.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dump question of the day." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carbon_15
January 4, 2003, 11:43 AM
Absolutely..within a given range for each caliber. That is one of the beauties of reloading. You can load down to very mild plinking loads, or hotrod them for hunting.

David Scott
January 4, 2003, 12:43 PM
Yes, more powder equals more velocity, up to the point where your pistol's internals can't take the stress and the whole thing goes Pearl Harbor in your hand. Get some reference books and be VERY careful. I once met a guy who lost two fingers to reloading experimentation.

4v50 Gary
January 4, 2003, 12:50 PM
Nice term you coined there Dave. "Pearl Harbor in your hand." I'll have to remember that one.

Coot
January 4, 2003, 12:55 PM
You can also reduce your loads to the minimum point that your pistol will still function to save money/wear. (I'm cheap).

Don Gwinn
January 4, 2003, 12:59 PM
Yep. Everything you change will change the velocity. Different bullets, jacketed or lead, amount of powder, type of powder, heavier or lighter crimps. This is why you must be very careful as you work up loads and change only one thing at a time.
With velocity usually comes pressure. Too much pressure, and your gun becomes a grenade instead. But don't let us scare you. If you start out with a good manual, start with the minimum recommended loads and work up from there, staying below the listed maximum, you'll be perfectly safe.

Buglight
January 4, 2003, 03:58 PM
Thank you all.

I know it can be change but I don't have any thing to back myself up before I engage the conversation. :D . Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dump question of the day." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!