Marlin 1894C hard to find in N. Virginia

PDA

vta33
July 6, 2006, 11:07 PM
My brother lives in N. Virginia and has gone to the Walmarts within a 25 mile drive from Alexandria and none of those stores stock a Marlin 1894C (.38/.357). Also, he was told they can't be ordered. What gives with Walmart?

Anyway, Walmart sells the rifle for $396.92 and that's within the range my brother is willing to pay.

Anyone in the N. Virginia/Greater DC area know of a Walmart that has one of these rifles in stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894C hard to find in N. Virginia" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Limeyfellow
July 6, 2006, 11:25 PM
Try one of the gunshows. The last ones I been too had dozens.

Black Knight
July 6, 2006, 11:37 PM
If there is a Dick's close by try it as well. I got my step-son a Remington 870 Express in 20 guage as a birthday and graduation gift two years ago for $20 less than Wal-Mart. You may also want to check ClarK Bros. in Warrenton. If you don't mind a day trip try Greentop in Glen Allen.

vta33
July 7, 2006, 12:34 AM
Is that Dick's Sporting Goods? If so, I found two locations on the net. One in Dulles and one in Fairfax. Thanks.

Black Knight
July 7, 2006, 08:19 AM
Yes. We have one hear in Charlottesville and I have been pleased with their sales staff. Give them a try.

priv8ter
July 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
Good luck finding one...mine is the funnest gun to use that I own. Just a great little carbine.

$400 sounds a bit steep...you can usually pick them up for right around $300 at the sporting goods stores around here.

greg

vta33
July 7, 2006, 01:20 PM
I just got this email from my brother:

I checked with Dick's and they all gave me a quote over $500.00.

I checked with other dealers and one guy gave me a quote of over $600.00.

The best I could do was at Virginia Arms in Woodbridge at $450.00, and they said none of their distributors had the rifle in stock. I placed the order and they will call with a status. The salesman said he has no idea why it's so hard to get this particular rifle but no one seems to have it. I can get Marlin in 30-30, 45, and 44 Mag the same day.

T

dracphelan
July 7, 2006, 01:36 PM
I just put one on lay-away with my local dealer, $450. If I remember correctly, that's lower than MSRP. I can't wait until I finish paying it off and take it to the range.

priv8ter
July 7, 2006, 01:41 PM
I just looked at Davidson's whole sale(www.galleryofguns.com) and they show none in stock either. And their price through one of my local gun stores is $462, so $450 should be a good price.

I swear these things weren't that expensive a few year ago.

greg

vta33
July 7, 2006, 05:56 PM
priv8ter wrote, "I swear these things weren't that expensive a few year ago."

Heck, it was only a few months ago here in So. Calif that the Big 5 sporting goods chain was selling this rifle for $319.99 on sale. New sale price is $339.99 and that rifle goes on sale once every five or six weeks.

The retail price recently jumped $20 to $399.99.

Just phoned the local Big 5 and there are no Marlin 1894C rifles in stock at that store or in the warehouse but two nearby stores (Thousand Oaks and Santa Barbara) have one each @ $399.99.

MAKster
July 8, 2006, 07:41 PM
I have also been looking for a Marlin 1894C for the past 6 months. I've been to 4 gunshows and many many gun shops and haven't seen a single one. I tried to special order one from a local shop, but it has been a month and they haven't been able to find one yet. I think $450 is a good price if you can find one. Also, the version that Big 5 is selling is less expensive because it has a lower quality hardwood stock while the regular 1894C is walnut. Good luck.

vta33
July 8, 2006, 09:02 PM
MAKster wrote, "I have also been looking for a Marlin 1894C for the past 6 months. I've been to 4 gunshows and many many gun shops and haven't seen a single one. I tried to special order one from a local shop, but it has been a month and they haven't been able to find one yet. I think $450 is a good price if you can find one. Also, the version that Big 5 is selling is less expensive because it has a lower quality hardwood stock while the regular 1894C is walnut. Good luck."

Right. I had forgotten about the quality of the stock on the rifles that Big 5 sells.

Just phoned Turner's in Reseda, CA and there are no 1894C rifles in any of their 13 stores or the warehouse.

Rock_Steady
July 8, 2006, 09:52 PM
I ordered ones from Gander Mtn in Washington, PA and Woodland Outdoor World in Uniontown, PA about two months ago. They both had them in stock for me at $430 or thereabouts about a week ago - but I had already found one at Cabela's in the used gun rack.

They're out there, must have just started shipping recently.

As for you lucky folks with the BIG 5 sporting goods places, well, just be nice.

cnyankee
July 8, 2006, 10:16 PM
ive been looking for a month now( n.cali) and looking and waiting. big 5 here is an absolute joke.

lacoochee
July 8, 2006, 11:13 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=52008899

vta33
July 8, 2006, 11:49 PM
Here's a Marlin 1894C for sale
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=52008899

Thanks Iacoochee. I forwarded that URL to my brother. That black walnut stock is nice.

Heck, I think *I'm* gonna buy one next time Big 5 has 'em on sale.

vta33
July 9, 2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks Rock_Steady. I'll pass on the Gander Mtn and Woodland Outdoor World to my brother.

36fan
August 1, 2006, 11:44 AM

That's the one that I just bought!

vta33
August 1, 2006, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vta33

Posted by 36fan:That's the one that I just bought!

You should have that rifle in your hands by now. Have you fired it yet?

stevekl
August 1, 2006, 02:00 PM
Well, I bought my 1894C at Green Top, which is just north of Richmond. Is that too far?

Nathanael_Greene
August 1, 2006, 02:23 PM
Just as an aside, the 1894's sold by Big 5 have hardwood, rather than walnut, stocks. That's one way they're able to hold down the cost.

I spent months looking for one, and finally had to special-order it; paid through the nose. Then I was in Wichita Falls at their Big 5, and they had hardwood-stocked 1894's for $299. So I bought that one, too ("for my wife").

They are great little rifles, to be sure. Everybody ought to have one. Or two.

MAKster
August 1, 2006, 02:42 PM
After looking for a Marlin 1894C for months with no luck, I found a Navy Arms 1892 with octagon barrel at the Dulles, VA gunshow last weekend. It's used but in good condition so I'm happy.

vta33
August 1, 2006, 03:42 PM
I just phoned Green Top. They sell 'em for $459 but they're on back order.

countertop
August 1, 2006, 03:48 PM
I'd go with Virginia Arms in Manassas or Green Top. Both are top notch outfits that are willing to work - within reason - on the price and provide superior customer service (as opposed to Wal Mart, which apparantly wont even try to order it).

The other option is also to try Potomac Arms in Alexandria (0 Prince Street, its actually located over the Potomac River) if its still around. Last time I checked, they were getting out of the new gun business but might still be able to order you one (my father in law ordered a Henry golden boy from them about a year ago).

Wouldn't give the gun banning bigots at Dicks the time of day.

Roccobro
August 1, 2006, 04:52 PM
Does Wal-mart ever carry the CP with the short ported barrel? That's my next lever and sounds like a killer price range from what I'm seeing in these parts of SoCal. ... or maybe I'll settle for a Guide Gun in 45/70 if I can't find a CP at a lesser price. :D

Justin

vta33
August 1, 2006, 05:46 PM
Walmart no longer sells guns in their California stores. Tho, you can still buy ammo.

Roccobro
August 2, 2006, 03:29 AM
That would explain why I haven't seen any Marlins at their stores when I regularly buy ammo there.... :D NUTZ!

Justin

36fan
August 2, 2006, 10:23 AM
You should have that rifle in your hands by now. Have you fired it yet?
No, I haven't. I received it last Thursday, and cleaned it Friday (the loading spring was coated with the nasty grease). When I put it back together, I broke the loading spring screw. :cuss:
I talked to Marlin Monday and they are suppose to ship me a new screw free of charge. Hopefully, I will be able to fire a few rounds this weekend...

Before I bought through gunbroker, I tried the local shops. One guy said his distributor didn't show any in stock, another said he didn't have any and didn't offer to see if he could order it, and Gander Mountain only showed 1 their system company wide (in PA, and he wasn't sure if they really had it). Even w/ shipping and FFL transfer, I got it for less than I could've locally if any were avaiable.
Their seems to be quite a demand for these rifles...

MikeS.
August 2, 2006, 12:06 PM
I too had spent months shopping for an 1894c in No. Va, WV, Md and Pa. Couldn't find one except on Gunbroker and I was relucant to buy from there. I found a real nice Rossi lever action .357mag at the Winchester, Va gun show about a month ago.

I've fired a box thru this baby and it is pretty nice. I had an 1894c but gave it to my best friend for a combo wedding/retirement present.

MikeS.

Steelcore
August 2, 2006, 01:51 PM
Trader Jerry usually has them.Tho, it looks like everyone is out of stock right now.
http://www.traderjerry.com
He is at all the Virginia gunshows.You just missed him at chantilly last weekend.

Roccobro
August 3, 2006, 01:23 AM
Went "hunting" today. The Big 5's in my area has the 1894C's (no checkering) in stock at 2 of the 3 stores within 10 miles of home. $399 is the going "everyday" price, sale price (ended saturday) was $339. One manager said they should be back on sale in a couple weeks after I handled one. I'll be ready then. :D

Justin

MikeS.
August 3, 2006, 09:46 AM
"Trader Jerry usually has them.Tho, it looks like everyone is out of stock right now.
http://www.traderjerry.com
He is at all the Virginia gunshows.You just missed him at chantilly last weekend."

No I didn't, I saw him and many others there on Sunday. I'd already bought the Rossi .357 by then. I went w/o a lot of cash, mostly to check out M1As and AR-10s as well as SKSs. I sold my Ruger mini-30 several years ago and have decided to buy something to replace it.

Actually I've pretty much decided on an SKS for the 100 yd work and a 308 for the harder hitting long range work. The wife can work the SKS while I work the 308.

MikeS.

Doug Add
August 3, 2006, 05:22 PM
You guys are making the deal I fell into back in the spring sound better and better. I have had an 1894c on my "want to get" list for a while. The local range bought a big collection of mostly long guns. After shooting one Saturday morning my range partner and I were telling one of the guys working the counter about our mutual desire for an 1894c. He said there was one in the collection that looked like it hadn't been shot.

I said, "No, I just looked when I was in the other day. No Marlins."

As my friend and I were browsing through the collection he picked up a carbine and said, "Hey, look at this!"

It was the Marlin and it did indeed look practically brand new. He was kind enough to let me have it. A few minutes and $250 later I walked out with what I later found out was a 1980 model 1894c in as new condition. My son and I have been enjoying it tremendously!

YodaVader
August 4, 2006, 12:53 AM
$400 sounds a bit steep...you can usually pick them up for right around $300 at the sporting goods stores around here.

No way you will see one around here at that price! One of the local shops had one last itme I was there - $425 was the price if I remember correctly.

The stock looked almost like a custom piece with really nice figuring but the forearm looked plain as could be. Really a bad mismatch. If the wood was matched better I might have been more interested.

A friend mine let me borrow his 1894C and it was one fun rifle to shoot. One of these days!

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894C hard to find in N. Virginia" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!