AK Side Rail

PDA

Seminole
July 7, 2006, 05:05 PM
I have a SAR-1 that I bought without a side rail and I'm a complete AK newbie. I'm wanting to attach a side rail so I can mount some optics. Am I mistaken, or do the screws shown in this picture of my receiver allow for the installation of a side rail?

If so, do I just order a side rail, and use an Allen wrench to attach the rail to the receiver with the screws that are already there?

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Side Rail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Omnivore
July 7, 2006, 05:56 PM
The AK side rail was never attached with screws. Someone has removed the side rail on your rifle and installed the screws to cover the holes. Using screws to hold on a side rail would be, well, screwy. Your two choices as I see it would be; Hire a competent AK smith to properly rivet another side rail to your receiver, or use an optic mount that does not need the side rail.

A third option would of course be to get a rifle that has the side rail already properly installed.

rbernie
July 7, 2006, 09:04 PM
Actually, Tantal (http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/) supplies a screw mounted optics mount.

Will Learn
July 7, 2006, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't even bother with putting optics on an AK, buy some ammo instead.

beerslurpy
July 7, 2006, 11:18 PM
AK irons arent that great. Optics is honestly the biggest bang for the buck in AK mods.

Seminole
July 7, 2006, 11:33 PM
Actually, Tantal supplies a screw mounted optics mount.

Hmmmm . . . . I wonder whether the holes in Tantal's plate would line up correctly with the ones in my receiver.

Has anyone used Tantal's screw-mounted side plate?

LiquidTension
July 8, 2006, 01:59 AM
The UltiMAK mounts are generally considered to be good mounts, and you wouldn't have to mess with the receiver at all.

http://ultimak.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Side Rail" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!