lurkers vs posters...

PDA

280PLUS
May 2, 2003, 09:03 AM
i just think its funny that theres so many lurkers/viewers and so few posters on a lot of these threads.

hopefully we're providing some quality entertainment for you 'silent majority' types out there...

:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "lurkers vs posters..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
New_comer
May 2, 2003, 09:21 AM
There was an excellent thread at the TFL not too long ago...

Inviting lurkers to take a dip, as the water's fine! :D

That said....

Hey, you!

Yes, YOU lurkers out there!!

Come join us, we won't bite... ;)

Razor
May 2, 2003, 09:33 AM
Come join us, we won't bite...

That's not what I heard...:neener:

wendy
May 2, 2003, 09:34 AM
what if the lurkers do the biting? :evil:

Snowdog
May 2, 2003, 09:38 AM
Snowdog hasn't had his rabies shots yet. :(
If I bite, I certainly didn't mean to.

Aahzz
May 2, 2003, 09:42 AM
I post occasionally...look, here's one now!

rms/pa
May 2, 2003, 10:05 AM
when i have something to add i add it. i am not a very funny guy.
gaaaahhhh a freaking spider just dropped down my monitor.... across my keyboard and down to the floor..... it was tooo small for .22 shot shells..... any subcaliber reccomondations????
arrrgh great dislike for the 8 legged.

where was i .... ah why i lurk and rarely post. i am not an expert on anything., so my chances of being right is low too.

just my two cents.
rms/pa
the day before the new kitchen arrived my wife went into the hospital, so my kitchen is on the living room floor and i haven't started demolition yet. i work much better under supervision.
i think my meds are getting low too

Tamara
May 2, 2003, 10:09 AM
Don't forget that some who post in a thread then come back several times to read posts that followed theirs.

Or just to sit around and listen to the gun talk, as it were. ;)

Bowlcut
May 2, 2003, 10:24 AM
A long time ago i decided lurking on boards sucks..... So i now post way too much on every board i am on :)

jade
May 2, 2003, 10:29 AM
too busy shooting. well in my imagination anyway.

i post when i actually have something to say. i don't talk much in real life either. in fact, the only person i really talk openly to is my husband. anyone else, they have to drag information from me as i usually don't volunteer it, unless it is an emergency of course. i listen better than i talk anyway. so blab away. :cool:

jade

Miss Demeanors
May 2, 2003, 10:47 AM
We let y'all do the talking for us. :D

XD-9
May 2, 2003, 10:50 AM
I must be a lurker, but only because I really don't have much to add to the excellent information I find on this board.

I have only become interested in guns in the last 6 months. So my time spent here is to learn as much as I can, and not to look foolish or silly.

I live in Illinois, and Mayor Daley is trying to outlaw semi-auto rifles. As soon as I found that out I decided I had to have one. I built my own AR-15 and have had a lot of fun with it.

Using information from this board, I learned how to set up a good home defense system. Now I have access to my guns on both levels of my house, while safely hiding them. I've learned what ammo to use for best stopping power. I've learned to I need to practice often to best protect my family. I now know how to take care of my guns, so they're always ready for any situation.

So I've gone from one .22 pistol my dad gave me 20 years ago, to a Ruger .357 magnum, a Rugar .45 P97D, a SA XD-9, a Kel-tec P-32, a Remington 870 Express shotgun-set up as a tactical defense weapon, and a AR-15.

I'd say lurking has peked my interest in guns.

Thanks guys!

=========

"YOU give peace a chance. I'll cover you in case it doesn't work out."

SB1
May 2, 2003, 01:07 PM
<slowlyraiseshandinthebackof theroom>

Hi I'm SB1 and I am a lurker.

"Hi SB1"

Seriously, I am brand spanking new to handguns and don't feel there is much I can add that hasn't already been said better by you all. I am still awaiting my permit and am reading about everyone's experiences to better myself from them. I found TFL too late and came over here from there. I figure if/when I am able to purchase my firearm and begin my training I will be able to list my own experiences. Until then I will admire everyone else's freedom of the 2nd. I learn daily here.:)

<lowershandandsitsbackdowninchair>

:p

Mithrandir
May 2, 2003, 01:16 PM
Hi....

I am Mithrandir...

and I am a lurker....

out..

Chuck Dye
May 2, 2003, 01:25 PM
"...to speak and remove all doubt."

Too much of what I might post, even set out to post, does not survive the "Think twice (proof read thrice) post once" dictum.

Count your blessings!

P.Henry,Jr
May 2, 2003, 01:38 PM
:confused:

You mean I can post here?

OK

Penforhire
May 2, 2003, 01:39 PM
I was a lurker. I am no longer. I am cured. I will walk among you now...

BerettaNut92
May 2, 2003, 01:40 PM
Hi, I'm Skunky, I lurk in the night and attack from the shadows with my smelly Benelli of less-lethal gas loads! Damn things won't cycle, I shoulda got the M3 for this low-recoil stuff!

ira41magfan
May 2, 2003, 01:51 PM
So few posters? This is a very active site! I'm an Okie and I like 41mags? Not new under the sun, but hey, lurkers are like that!

Walrus
May 2, 2003, 01:59 PM
I am the Walrus! No, I am not the eggman and neither are you but I am out of the dark shadows.:neener:

Fastlane
May 2, 2003, 02:04 PM
Sorry about lurking. Learned a long time ago you learn more by keeping your mouth shut and ears open. But I do appreciate this forum. So the people who know a lot should post a lot. Which is most of the people on this board. Enough kissing up for now. Back to lurking. :)

Kinsman
May 2, 2003, 02:05 PM
Guilty as charged.

A) Lot of good info from folks smarter, funnier and more experienced than me

B) I like to read (and don't type all that well anyhow).

......but I took second in Ribs at the State BBQ Championships!

Schuey2002
May 2, 2003, 02:16 PM
Slowly changing into a lurker as time goes by.... :uhoh:

Selfdfenz
May 2, 2003, 02:39 PM
4900 members

576 are active, medium active or low activity posters.
The other 4k and change work for Homeland Security.

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Sorry could not resist.
S-

Larry Ashcraft
May 2, 2003, 02:42 PM
I haven't even been a lurker for the past week. I couldn't get on!

But thanks to Derek Zeanah I'm back, at least temporarily.

AmericanFreeBird
May 2, 2003, 03:05 PM
I post when I'm interested.

I'm always right too, just ask me. :D

mohican
May 2, 2003, 03:07 PM
sometimes I lurk, sometimes I post

I'll view post and see if there is anything I want to add.

kalibear45
May 2, 2003, 03:29 PM
So what would someone be called who posts intentionally just to be derogatory and piss people off.... a flamer? :D

RTFM
May 2, 2003, 03:34 PM
SB1
You may not feel you have much to add, but ask questions. I'm new here also, found the forum by accident and ended up with a new "home".
There are a lot of good people here from what I have seen, with alot of good information to share.
Every one appears to want listen and give good advice.
Jump in, I did.

Kobun
May 2, 2003, 03:35 PM
Don't forget that some who post in a thread then come back several times to read posts that followed theirs.
Tamara is right.
When I find a thread I like, I might post, and then come back again and again and again and... to see what others have replied. :)

So. Guess I'm a lurker too..:uhoh:
But Schuey is the BIGGEST lurker of us all! :D
Right Schuey? :p

chrisb507
May 2, 2003, 03:37 PM
My name is Chris, and I am a lurker.

I actually lurked for a few weeks before even signing up as a member.

But I was lurking--anonymously--when I read a post in the Shotguns forum from Dave McCracken.

Dave said something to the affect of: "Hey, all you new folks—me and the gang here have a few dozen decades of shotgun experience. Any questions??"

Having at most a few minutes of shotgun experience, Dave’s post inspired me. And while I haven’t posted anything (until now), I’ve learned a ton--about shotguns, handguns, tactics, ammo, you name it.

This site is a fantastic resource. If other lurkers are at all like me, they’re just soaking it all in. The discussions here are almost always civil, occasionally hilarious and often enlightening. That’s why I lurk. When I can contribute, I will…:)

SodaPop
May 2, 2003, 03:38 PM
I've actually walked into gun shops and indoor pistol ranges where people have started talking about TFL. I've slowly gotten into conversations with them and I've found out that a god awful amount of info I posted on TFL has gotten around. Most of the people I've run into were lurkers. I was amazed at how much they know about TFL but never bothered to post. Some people are even shy on the internet.:)

I KNOW YOUR OUT THERE, ERIC!!!!:neener: HOW ABOUT YOU, CHRIS!!!!IF YOU HAVEN"T SIGNED UP AT "THR" BY NOW YOUR A CHICKEN!!!!

I'd like say hello to the BATF and FBI for lurking here, too.:neener: :D

Newt
May 2, 2003, 03:45 PM
I've been called a lot of things in my days but never a lurker. Makes me sound like I'm doing something I'm not supposed to. To quote: "Some people know their cars and some people know their guns... you guys know your guns." Who am I to argue? I just ask questions when they come up and watch for responses.

Aahzz
May 2, 2003, 03:49 PM
What the heck, I'll even post twice in this thread - that's 3 today! I'm on a roll! :)

12GA
May 2, 2003, 04:08 PM
Lurker?! My profile says I've been makin' .32 posts per day since I registered - I ain't no lurker! :D

SB1
May 2, 2003, 04:13 PM
I really have been using two different things on this website. I figure guns aren't new to the world and I am not as smart to think I have thought of somehting new, so I use the search feature, come up with the answers I need and away I go. If it's not on here, it certainly has been discussed at TFL so I search over there.

Once I have some expereince of my own, I am sure I'll be here asking why this happened or why I do this when this happens. plus I have been working with a local club and they are offereing a bunch of training for me when I am able.

I would like to read more about the laws etc and who is for us and against us with 2A. Anyone?

280PLUS
May 2, 2003, 04:20 PM
ok, maybe the word lurker generates negative connotations,,,

maybe i meant 'lookers'

:D

i had just noticed the 'how many guns' poll this a.m and out of 1000 views only 189 voted. just found it curious

i lurk, oops, i mean look, too and i dont like (anymore, learned my lesson) to start threads of no value to the site but i do like to pop in here and there once in a while to add my own 2 cents, which is about what it's worth...:rolleyes:

QuarterBoreGunner
May 2, 2003, 04:44 PM
Lurkers? Heck what I want to know is how the heck do the 2000+ posts people do it? How do you find the TIME!?!

I have a semi-desk bound job with a lot of autonomy, a pretty good PC and DSL…but COME ON!! DON’T YOU PEOPLE HAVE REGULAR JOBS!!

Unless this IS your job... and how cool is that?

XD-9
May 2, 2003, 04:54 PM
OK !
The lurking is over. I just posted in the shotgun forum. I know I'll learn something over there also.

How many post per day are required to stop being called a - - - -

LURKER

=========

"YOU give peace a chance. I'll cover you in case it doesn't work out."

sm
May 2, 2003, 04:54 PM
Skunk...if you'd "lurk" over at Shotguns...Dave recommend a cure for a shotty that will work with low recoil loads...(pssst it called an 870). :neener:

Shuey doesn't lurk...he's "looking for HK pics... :neener:

BerettaNut92
May 2, 2003, 05:03 PM
re1973, the Benelli works fine, comment was tongue-in-cheek, we can't get less-lethal loads. Oh well, the 00-buck's gonna have to do :D

Mauserlady
May 2, 2003, 06:16 PM
I am always here but am more of a http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/83/Lurking.gif than anything. But every now and again you'll catch me http://www.home.earthlink.net/~mauserlady/Smilies/computersmile.gif
and I believe I actually have posted more here in 4 months than I ever did over at TFL

griz
May 2, 2003, 06:36 PM
On this board there are people who work for ammo manufacturers, people who make a living gunsmithing, competitors who fire more rounds in a year than I fire in 10 years, and collectors who probably know more about their guns than the factory does. Given that expertise, is it any wonder that some of us feel we can learn more by listening tan talking?

As an analogy, if I heard Michael Schumaker and Mario Andretti discussing driving styles, I would shut up and listen instead of telling them how fast my car can go.

Now that I’ve told you all I know, I’m going to go lurk for a while.
:)

sm
May 2, 2003, 07:15 PM
Skunk, just messing with you...
I'm fortunate to not be restricted as you are in Kali.

But one can only imagine Skunk in the South...
Tactical pickup with carbon fiber mud flaps, kevlar roll bars, and a Benelli in a sharkskin gun rack...

Imagine - Skunk and "John Deere Green"...:D

vertigo7
May 2, 2003, 07:18 PM
[ delurk ]

Since bandwidth costs money and Oleg's not acquired unlimited wealth since last I checked, I only post when I have something useful to add to a thread, or a question to ask. Otherwise, I tend to keep my keyboard to myself and try to learn something from more knowledgeable posters.

A foolish man does not learn from his own experiences.
A smart man learns from his own experiences.
A wise man learns from the experiences of others.

vertigo7

[ lurker cloaking device reactivated ]

coonan357
May 2, 2003, 07:27 PM
skunk I have something to make more gas for those less lethal loads but there leathel to the nose!!! (coonans magnum Chilli )

as for the lurkers remember a question not asked is the only dumb question there is .

And RE1973 , Skunk needs some tatical BiBs (overalls in the south to make it complete. :D

sm
May 2, 2003, 07:39 PM
quote: "Skunk needs some tatical BiBs (overalls in the south to make it complete. ".
__

ROTFL

" Y'all got any Tuff Nutts with sharskin and carbon fiber tactical buttons?"

Skunk, Tactical Tuff Nutts, RC Cola and a Moon Pie...excuse me, but my monitor is spittled...

Schuey2002
May 2, 2003, 10:33 PM
But Schuey is the BIGGEST lurker of us all!
Right, Schuey?
You're right, Kobun..
As far as being a lurker; my post count has gone down to 3 or 4 posts per day which is off my average of 13 or so per day.. ;)

re1973,
Shuey doesn't lurk...he's "looking for HK pics...
Hehehe. It's all about the Hecklar ünd Coke, baby !! :neener:

genie
May 2, 2003, 10:40 PM
wait a minute...you mean this isn't a posting board for bea...who are you people??? :D

yesh, this genie generally lurks for longer than a bit or two. i'm usually busy having fun scaring away people from rubbing my lamp or bottle or whatever i happen to be in at the time.

although, i just can't resist posting to a good thread about lurking!

i definitely have learned lots of good info here and tfl. thanks again to all. *poof*

AZTOY
May 2, 2003, 10:45 PM
I'm a lurker and a poster :neener:

Dionysusigma
May 2, 2003, 10:57 PM
Hey all...

Sadly, I never grew up with guns, so I'm just now beginning to appreciate them, thanks to a friend of mine. Azrael256 (whom I go to school with and live on the floor above of) intro'd me to THR a while ago, but normally whenever I have a question or need advice for firearms I usually ask him.

btw, for all you "non-lurkers," what does "Molon Labe" mean?:confused:

AZTOY
May 2, 2003, 11:08 PM
btw, for all you "non-lurkers," what does "Molon Labe" mean?

Molon labe

(mo-lone lah-veh)

“Come and get them!”

http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Hand_Rifle_Guy
May 2, 2003, 11:12 PM
Hmmm...

Lurking more lately. Got the overenthusiasm outta my system, finally.

Pretty well-known 'round these parts, both for what I post here, and what I started over on TFL.

Additionally, I have apparently accumulated somewhat of a fanclub, believe it or else. :o

It's not MY fault. Or maybe it is. At least I'm not QUITE as well-known as Skunky! Mostly, I just talk too much!

Here's one for the lurking types. Hooking up with other HighRiders is more fun than you might imagine. Try it, you won't regret it.

For those of you reading but not posting, don't sell yourself short. Everyone's opinion is of equal value, right on the face of it. If someone disagrees with it here, they might politely point it out in the interest of spreading useful knowledge, but no-one's going to clobber you over the head with a lead-filled snowshoe. Civility is our watchword 'round here. Polite input on any level is always welcome.

That said, I gotta go try and raise my post count. Being remiss, me. ;)

PATH
May 3, 2003, 01:26 AM
I started out posting like a crazy man after the TFL closure. I guess it was withdrawal. I lurk sometimes and other times I'll jump right in there. I love this place! It is reallythe only site I like to go when I'm on the net. Great folks, great info, what else can you ask for?

THR is a community of swell folks. Don't be shy folks. Kick off your shoes and join right in the conversations. You'll be glad you did.

Hey Walrus,

Glad you made it and you indeed are the eggman!:D ;)

Al Norris
May 3, 2003, 02:19 AM
I mostly lurk. Some threads are of interest, but posting the same thing as 5 or more have already posted is pointless.

Then too, this board while good, isn't my home.

general
May 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
I lurked.... yes, I did. Still do. There is just so DARN much info to read! I post when I feel like I have something to contribute or need some specific info......
LookitLookitLookitLookitLookitLookitLookitLookit
I'M LOOKITING!!!!
Darn near posted myself.:what:

NIGHTWATCH
May 3, 2003, 12:14 PM
Lurkers and agents and spies, oh my! :uhoh:

Loach
May 3, 2003, 12:59 PM
I don't intend to lurk, but usually someone has already said what I'd have wanted to say and rather than post a lot of "me too"s, I just lurk for the most part.

280PLUS
May 3, 2003, 01:49 PM
it takes me a while sometimes,

i see,,, a lot of them are repeats,,, doh...:banghead:

i think itd be interesting if only your first visit was counted and we could see how many different individuals actually viewed the thread.

i'm not sure WHY that would be interesting, however...

:)

RTFM
May 3, 2003, 02:32 PM
SodaPop

I'd like say hello the BATF and FBI for lurking here, also.

I second the:neener:

NapAttack
May 3, 2003, 03:57 PM
I lurk a lot more than I post also.

I read these boards for entertainment and find it more entertaining reading what others have to say than listening to myself.

Plus, it does seem that there is an "in-crowd" here and on other boards and unless you are part of this crowd your posts generally get ignored. Unless you disagree with one of the in-crowd then you get flamed.

Kobun
May 3, 2003, 04:01 PM
Plus, it does seem that there is an "in-crowd" here and on other boards and unless you are part of this crowd your posts generally get ignored. Unless you disagree with one of the in-crowd then you get flamed.

The High Road is NOT like that!

I know what you are talking about, but on THR all you need to do is get in on the conversation, and you are bound to get a response.

K. :)

Pappy John
May 3, 2003, 06:19 PM
THR really IS the best board as far as info and friendliness. I guess I've always been more of a listener than a talker, so I'll never have a super high message count. But hey...I'm getting better....I'm already up to my TFL message count in four months.... it took me a year and a half to talk that much over there.

redneck2
May 3, 2003, 06:56 PM
there are more "readers" and less re-active posters...

as on TFL....if you are "full 'o bull" here, you'll get called out quickly

I reload, shoot competition rifle (a little), sporting clays, silhouette, and pistol. I hunt a lot. Been doing some of these for over 40 years

but there are lots of people here that know way, way more than I do about any and all of these

If Steve Smith says something about HP, Weshoot2 about reloading, Bogie about BR, or Art about anything, I defer to their experience. Fortunately for us, their knowledge and wisdom is graciously shared, not for their benefit, but simply for the fact they enjoy helping others.

The really neat thing is that, although I mentioned a few, the list should have hundreds of names. That's what makes this site so interesting and valuable.

Also.....how could a mere mortal ever compete with Skunkabilly, the tactical machine??? :D

SodaPop
May 3, 2003, 07:09 PM
If Steve Smith says something about HP, Weshoot2 about reloading, Bogie about BR, or Art about anything, I defer to their experience.

Funny you say that because I just email or PM people when I have a question. I don't post so much anymore. I just bug Art, or Steve, via PM.:)

Robby from Long Island
May 3, 2003, 08:09 PM
I guess I'm a lurker too, just as I was at TFL. As so many others have already pointed out, I only post when I have something I feel is of worthwhile input. Just one of those guys who likes to learn and have always learned more by listening than talking.

Even though I've been shooting since a little kid, never considered myself knowledgeable when it came to the technical aspect of firearms. Kinda like when I was young, had a brand new '65 tri-powered, 4 speed GTO. I could power shift that car with the best of them and won the majority of my races, but didn't know much about the mechanics of a car.

I look at guns as I did my GTO, love to shoot but don't expect me to know how to ream a barrel or talk intelligently about gunsmithing.

This is a great board and I plan on contributing when I have something to say than might be of interest to others.

Safe shooting.

Wade
May 3, 2003, 08:34 PM
I've always been told that you learn more by "listening" than by "talking".

I lurk often, post occasionally.

PATH
May 3, 2003, 10:40 PM
I'd have to say that the bulk of my posts are in General Discussion. I read the other forum posts and post occassionaly there when I have some experience on the subject or a question.

I can honestly say that there is no "in" crowd over here. Regular posters get answered by other regular posters because they know each other as it were and a relationship is built up over time. I always try to answer a post if no one else has out of simple courtesy. I think most others here act as politely as well.

I believe that Oleg wants everyone to feel welcome and comfortable here. I feel welcome and you all should not be shy if you have something to say.

So whether you have 10 posts or 2000 you are a valuable member and I and the rest of the folk here say welcome!:D

NapAttack
May 3, 2003, 10:54 PM
Kobun and others, thanks for straightening me out on that. If it looks like a rose and smells like a rose but you say it's a petunia then I guess it's a petunia.

My apologies for the sarcasm but I get annoyed when people tell me something is not happening that I can see with my own eyes. Yes the folks here are friendlier than other places, I agree. That's why I continue to read this board.

I'll go back to lurking now.

Ryder
May 3, 2003, 11:50 PM
I browse a lot at work. It keeps me focused on these boxes and awake during my long shifts. Since I spend so much time online at work though I have a definite aversion to using computers for recreation on my days off.

It does take a lot of reading to catch up on what I've missed while AFK. I've got a fairly large and varied list of favorite sites to visit.

I contribute a little here and there but I just like to learn too much. Imagine how many posts I could have read in the time it takes me to type this. It's a real sacrifice, I tell ya! :D

Marshall
May 4, 2003, 04:01 AM
I've just been way, way too busy to make it lately.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/homfloat.gif

RNS
May 4, 2003, 01:20 PM
Yes I admit I do lurk, but I learned a long time ago that if I have nothing intelligent to say I say nothing.

Like SB1 I use the Search funtion rather than open threads that have been discused before.

I've been a gun owner for only a few years. It's amazing how much I have learned from all you folks.

Thanks to all!!

Rich

jimb124
May 4, 2003, 01:29 PM
Hi! My name is Jim and I'm a (gulp!) lurker. There are a lot of interesting things being posted on THR that need to be reviewed and absorbed/contemplated/digested (your choice) before being responded to. Besides, I don't want to overwhelm all of you with my ignorance and/or 97 years of experience I have gained in the last 60 years! :what: Seriously though, I'm sure most of us really enjoy reading the rantings/banter of the regular THR posters and, in my case, do not feel that my posting would be witty enough or profound enough to make anyone but myself sit and take notice. :confused:
S-o-o-o-o, I will slink back into my lurking mode and enjoy THR. Please, however, tone down the smart-alec comments...my 'puter monitor and keyboard can only stand so much spit-up coffee! :D

Jim Brown

jolly roger
May 4, 2003, 02:21 PM
Jolly Roger here from GT.

Just registered a few days ago. I reply quite a bit but don't post new topics too much. Lurk some at work. Winter is my prime time for activity on GT and will probably be here too. Right now I am mostly shootin and fishin....and doing honey-do work around the house.:(

boondocker
May 4, 2003, 08:29 PM
Well I am a lurker for most part. Grew up with guns and love to shoot,reload,cast and love to tinker. Have been busy with my new-old Bridgeport getting it ready so I can dabble with a bit of home hobby smithing if I ever get things rolling lol. I pop in to catch up on my reading and probably post about Boondockers mis-adventures in home machining. I learn alot from this board as well as others but with these mitts I have to type slowly or get an oversized keyboard if they make one lol. I will try to post more often when I may be able to add anything. Boondocker (aka lurker):D

Stevie-Ray
May 4, 2003, 09:11 PM
Props to 280Plus. He started this thread, and lookie here at all the new guys that have chimed in.;)

JackM
May 4, 2003, 11:54 PM
Well, most of the threads here are a bit out of my area of interest or expertise, so I figure I can lurk & learn, rather than confuse the issue.

Bye
Jack

Stetson_CO
May 5, 2003, 12:10 AM
I lurk, sure, but working 2 jobs to pay off a bunch of stuff as fast as possible leaves me no time to keep up long enough to post anything. However, in 8 months I will be debt free(except the car) and then be able to buy more guns...provided the other half doesn't make me buy HER more guns.

Occasionally I will write out a long, well thought out post and 'click' submit and there will be some stupid '404' error....and I am not going back to type it over. I just figure it is a sign from some higher power, so I don't post.

c):{

TN MadDog
May 5, 2003, 08:45 AM
I lurk here and a couple of other boards and rarely post. I do most of my surfing on breaks at work. The rule there is that while it is ok to go to any appropriate site it is not ok to post messages on discussion boards. Sometimes I see something I would like to add to so I send an email to myself at home with a link to the thread. The problem is that by the time I get a chance to check my emails and go back to the thread it is three pages back and everything to be said has been said. I do however enjoy reading the posts here as I did on TFL. It is a great place to get information and opinions and viewpoints from many people. I have been into guns and shooting since I was a little kid and almost no one I work with has any interest at all so the web is where I often go to relax on breaks. I was really glad when I found THR. After TFL shut down I tried to find another place like it without success. I did run across a board dedicated to shooting 50 cal rifles ( Biggerhammer.net ) . That cost me a bundle of money!!:D As soon as it stops raining I'm off to the range. See ya.

280PLUS
May 5, 2003, 08:46 AM
its really good to hear from all these peeps out there!!

most of the quietness seems to stem from the

'"its better to remain silent...etc"

and you do learn more from listening than talking...

although teaching a subject is the best way to learn it.

one thing i notice about this board is there isnt a lot of flamers maybe one or two here and there but no real,,, well you get the picture

so if you make a less than correct response somewhere you don't usually get jumped on, unless its a safety thing someone spots.

even the most experienced shooters learn stuff from others here

and never hesitate to ask a question, but try to post it in the right spot.

sometimes they wont get answered cause nobody knows what the answer is, its probably not because nobody likes you...

unless you are one of the aforementioned occasional flamers:neener:

no, we even try to be nice to the flamers around here...

i was thinking,,,

we're probably all so nice to each other around here cause we know all arguments could end in a gunfight...:what: :neener:

Hawk
May 5, 2003, 06:38 PM
An opportunity for me to gratuitously bump my post count by one.

PATH
May 5, 2003, 06:40 PM
Duly noted!:D

OEF_VET
May 5, 2003, 10:19 PM
Dad always said, 'It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.'

Having said that, I generally just lurk (look) and will post when I see something I have knowledge of or an opinion I feel is relevant enough.

Gotta say, THR has become the website I visit most often nowadays. It used to be Packing.org, but THR has a broader range of topics and the posts are generally more well informed.

Thanks Oleg Volk for a great website. Speaking of Oleg, I've noticed a lot of people here from middle TN, what's the chances of putting together a THR range day around here sometime?

Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "lurkers vs posters..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!