I need heavy duty mainspring

PDA

PinnedAndRecessed
July 7, 2006, 08:05 PM
I have a Model 66-1 with 2 1/2 inch barrel. The previous owner apparantly installed an aftermarket mainspring to lighten the trigger pull. This is a SD gun so his motivation escapes me.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a heavier-than-stock mainspring for this gun? Options? Considerations?

If you enjoyed reading about "I need heavy duty mainspring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
July 7, 2006, 09:46 PM
There's no need for a HEAVIER than stock spring.
S&W used factory springs with more than enough strength.

I'd replace the mainspring, and the trigger return spring. These are the two usually altered or replaced when doing action jobs.

You can order new, factory original springs from:
Brownell's.
Direct from S&W.
Gun Parts Corporation.

After installing new factory strength springs, you'll never have ignition problems again.

Old Fuff
July 7, 2006, 09:49 PM
If the revolver is otherwise unaltered and in good condition a stock S&W mainspring should be enough. Both extra-heavy aftermarket springs as well as stock S&W ones are available at: www.brownells.com

While you are at it, be sure the former owner didn't tamper with the rebound (trigger return) spring too.

Old Fuff
July 7, 2006, 09:52 PM
After installing new factory strength springs, you'll never have ignition problems again.

Not necessarily. I have seen revolvers that had ignition problems because of excessive headspace caused by cylinder end-shake.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need heavy duty mainspring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!