Pathetic. Caught in Condition White.

PDA

BrokenPaw
May 2, 2003, 10:03 AM
Hi. My name is BrokenPaw, and I was caught in Condition White.
<crowd> Hi, BrokenPaw. </crowd>

So the other day I was out in my upper field (I live in a rural part of Manassas, VA, on about 4 acres) playing frisbee with my wife and kids. It was a lovely day, and I'd just thrown on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, grabbed the aerobie, and gone outside. When I put on jeans, I wear a belt, and my IWB holster is always there, and I always put my Beretta in before I leave the house. But I wasn't wearing a belt this time, and I didn't grab my P32 BUG and put it in my pocket on the way out the door.

About half an hour later, I suddenly noticed a dog standing right behind my 7-year-old son. It was a (very) large Rottweiler. It belongs to a neighbor, but I'd never met it, so I had no idea what its temperament might be (in general, I've found Rotties to be very nice, and I quite like them, but you never know when some prat is going to have abused a dog or actively trained it to be aggressive). My boy sometimes gets easily startled, and I was afraid that if he suddenly noticed the dog, he'd show a fear reaction that might encourage the dog to be belligerent (especially if it already had that sort of attitude). So I moved slowly and calmly until I was between him and the dog, figuring that if the dog did decide he wanted to be nasty, it would be better for him to have to get past me.

The dog turned out to be perfectly friendly, and his owners called him back very soon thereafter. I'm not bothered about that dog in particular, but just about the fact that I didn't notice what was happening until the dog was already close enough to my boy to have hurt him without me being able to do a thing.

I also have no illusions about pulling out my UberTactical KelTec P32 and heroically shooting the dog that's attacking my kid, without hitting the kid, from 25 yards. But I should have had it with me, anyway. I carry at least my P32 when I'm outside, now, if not my B96. And I pay more attention to what is moving, and where.

::hangs head:: I leave it to you to decide my penance.

-BP

If you enjoyed reading about "Pathetic. Caught in Condition White." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bowlcut
May 2, 2003, 10:22 AM
Hmmm nothing too bad for punishment...atleast you acted in a correct manner. Could have got nasty but it didnt. So maybe a flogging with a wet noodle :D

MJRW
May 2, 2003, 11:14 AM
Hi, Brokenpaw. I also live in Manassas. Let me know if you want to hit Bull Run sometime or something.

Felonious Monk
May 2, 2003, 11:24 AM
Hi BrokenPaw!

I think you should have to send me the P32 to hold for safekeeping, since you can't seem to be responsible with it. :cool: :D

I NEVER leave the house without a good sized folding knife.
Sometimes yes, without my gun, but NEVER without the knife.
I feel for the clip hanging from my pocket almost instinctively now, and don't really feel dressed without it. It lays on the dresser with my wallet and change when I go to bed, and goes back in as soon as the pants are pulled up.
Even that would have been "enough" had you found yourself protecting your son's life from the dog.

Seriously, I don't mean to turn this into reunion.com, but I grew up in Nokesville and went to BDHS.
PM me if you guys want to compare notes.

George Hill
May 2, 2003, 12:13 PM
http://www.nothing-sacred.net/aboutus/images/words-hartman.jpg
"DROP AND GIVE ME FIFTY!"

Standing Wolf
May 2, 2003, 02:53 PM
Even before I received my CCW permit, I decided I'd always carry, and continue to carry a pocket knife whenever I leave the house. It's a nickel's worth of bother to drop the knife in a pocket and put on the gun, and the odds on my ever actually needing either are very low—but very low isn't zero. It took about a week for it to become habit.

shermacman
May 2, 2003, 03:10 PM
You did the right thing...even if you had been packing you would have had to do exactly what you did. You needed to get between your son and the dog. You weren't going to gun down Fido from 25 yards with a shot whistling right past your boy...were you?! Thus positioned you assessed the level of danger and with Fido wagging his tail, looking for a leg to hump he came up on the No Go end of the Go/NoGo scale.
PS...if yer not gunna carry that Kel-Tec I will send cash and a pre-paid FedEx box...

Frohickey
May 2, 2003, 05:05 PM
For penance, you have to CCW a Desert Eagle 50AE for 30 days in a row. :D

Cliff
May 2, 2003, 07:05 PM
You did what a father had to do to nullify a potential threat to your child, armed or unarmed. No reason to beat yourself up about it. But even if your ever in a situtation where packing heat is not a option,(and in Virginia I can't think of any,) always,always,have that blade available.

Gordy Wesen
May 2, 2003, 07:47 PM
Rotties are prey animals. He was there because he saw things moving...action and that means fun to them.

cool45auto
May 2, 2003, 07:56 PM
Don't beat yourself up over it. Its a good learning experience. Thank goodness it turned out okay.

Stickjockey
May 2, 2003, 09:41 PM
George-

All I see is a white box with a red X in it. That wouldn't have meant to be a picture of The Gunny, would it?:D

Flashpoint
May 3, 2003, 01:14 AM
I use to drive a route truck for a living and everyday would drive over a favorite fishing creek of a buddy and mine. One day I pulled my truck off the side of the road to check the water conditions. As I was walking down to the creek a mangy Chow comes charging out of the bushes. My first reaction was to start backing up, but the more I backed up, the faster the Chow advanced, so I stoped. When I stoped he stoped, so I started looking for a big stick and wouldn't you know it, not one in site. I would have loved to had my 9mm or 40cal on me, but at the time I didn't own either. So anyway, I used the only thing I had to use, my tatical folder with a 4.5" blade. When I snaped the knife open the chow looked at the knife, then back at me, then back at the knife, then at me again. Then he did something that really surprised me, he backed up, turned around, and whent back to where he came from. He knew what the knife was used for is my only guess. Everytime I see the tag line " Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy until you can pick up a stick" I think of this incident . So I guess you never know when you will need a firearm.

PATH
May 3, 2003, 02:35 AM
Most dogs will back off if you yell loud and look threatening. Also a stone tossed may not hurt. I always keep at least a P32 on me at ALL times. Alright I don't take it in the shower but I keep it close by. A good folding knife is always good to have.

tex_n_cal
May 3, 2003, 03:42 AM
No, Gordy, Rotts were a breed for guarding herds of cattle, originally. Once he determined the kid to be part of his "herd", he'd probably be more likely to protect the child, rather than harm it.

That said, even if I knew my Rott to be very friendly, I wouldn't let him run around loose. Too much chance of upsetting people, given their (mostly) undeserved reputation.

If you have neighbors with big dogs, it's not a bad idea to make a point of meeting them, and introducing them to your kids. Less uncertainty that way if the dog ever gets out.

BrokenPaw
May 5, 2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the responses, all. I know that having had my P32 really wouldn't have changed that particular situation all that much, it was just that the situation got me thinking, and made me realize that I should have had it, in case some other situation had occured, where a mousegun would have been useful.

Frohickey: I have a DE .44 Mag lying around, would that do, instead of the .50? [0]

-BP

[0] Ok, yes, I actually own a Desert Eagle. I was young and silly once. :uhoh:

Jedi_7.62
May 5, 2003, 03:33 PM
Could use possible advice on similiar topic.

2 weeks ago I was riding bicycles with my daughter. A large dog charged out of a yard and was headed for her. She rides ahead of me so I can keep my eye on her. When the dog (I believe to be a pit bull but am unsure possibly boxer or something) came out he was in between me and her and barking and chasing and looking very mean. I automatically drew my Makarov and screamed at the dog I would have shot him but he was between me and her and I did not have what I would deem a safe shot especialy form a bicycle. I guess my question is a tactical one? In this case once I yelled his attention turned to me and by the time my shot was clear the dog was standing still looking at me like it was confused and waiting for directions. So unsure of the laws at the time with imediate danger being gone I passed on killing the animal. (for now).

I later called the police and animal control and found that on public property I would have been legal in killing it. Since we deemed it a viscious animal.

Sugestions wanted,

280PLUS
May 5, 2003, 04:53 PM
i say he carries the s&w 500 magnum instead of the DE for the 30 days...

and has to shoot it too...every day...

:neener:

good show,,,

i had the worlds largest rottie come at me dragging a broken chain behind him and all while i was jogging.

i stopped, faced him and loudly said "NO!!"

he stopped his charge, came up to me, sniffed my leg, turned around and trotted away,

he musta thought i was all herded and didnt need any more herding

i promptly jogged home for new shorts... :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pathetic. Caught in Condition White." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!