Help me out, need to update a quote:

PDA

Smoke
May 2, 2003, 10:14 AM
I have always liked the following quote:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

I'd like for y'all to give me ideas to update it. Conning a ship may not be as necessary as it once was. I also think there should be a firearms part somewhere.

With out destroying the intent of the original quote, how would you update it to get the point over to todays youth?

Thanks,

Smoke

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me out, need to update a quote:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
May 2, 2003, 10:23 AM
I would intersperse these:
clean a rifle
shoot a deer (right before 'cook a tasty meal')
reload a cartridge
carry a pistol

Art Eatman
May 2, 2003, 10:26 AM
I think I might leave "conn a ship" in there. If you've ever watched a newbie trying to dock his just-bought 42-foot Bertram without destroying everything in the immediate vicinity...:D

"...fight efficiently..." might well include "shoot accurately".

Face it, Heinlein was one pretty sharp customer. Hard to improve on his "Lazarus Long-isms".

:), Art

Smoke
May 2, 2003, 10:38 AM
Art,

Been there myself, and seen it all to often. You're right, it should stay in. Maybe change it to "boat"?

pax
May 2, 2003, 12:55 PM
... back a trailer, drive in traffic, drive offroad ...

pax

This is an assignment that is far from trivial; on the Yosemite rockclimbing scale of difficulty it's a clear 5.15 (which means it's so hard it probably can't be done). Still, why should that deter us?
-- Alvin Plantinga

Andrew Wyatt
May 2, 2003, 01:30 PM
kill a tank, rocket-jump, clear a stoppage.

Sleeping Dog
May 2, 2003, 01:45 PM
Weld
Rappel
Sing
Learn a language
Light a fire
Dance
Negotiate
Set the clock in a VCR

QuarterBoreGunner
May 2, 2003, 06:04 PM
'Rocket-Jump'?

Been playing a little TFC have we?

Smoke, I've always liked that quote too. I've always equated 'conning a ship' as the abilty to navigate. What I mean is, read a map, use a compass, plan a trip... that sort of thing.

Keith
May 3, 2003, 12:47 PM
Train a monkey to shoot skeet
Remember where you left your keys
Build a FAL from a Tapco parts kit
Fart in an elevator without giving yourself away
Brew your own beer
Resist running over an armadillo (for Art)
Speak to a liberal without sneering
Say "Yes, honey" when wife asks you to buy female hygeine products
Make a passable camp chili with only spam, hot sauce and onions
Talk a cop out of a ticket
Talk a gun dealer out of an extra magazine, box of ammo, ear muffs and cleaning supplies when buying a gun
Talk wife into joining "mile high club"
Talk air marshal into not arresting you for joining "mile high club"

NapAttack
May 3, 2003, 04:04 PM
I don't think this would translate well to Ebonics.

I've always thought that once a universal idea such as this has been expressed well there's really no way to update it without ruining it.

Just like with songs. Most of the remakes of old songs just ruin them. I can't remember the last song I heard that I liked the remake better than the original.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 4, 2003, 02:02 AM
Keith-

Ya'll a weird mother humper.

And made me laugh so hard milk came out my nose.

And I wasn't drinking milk.

So where on Kodiak are you? I've got family in Port Lions, up on the north side of Kodiak.

MeekandMild
May 4, 2003, 02:17 AM
Don't mess with perfection!

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Next thing you know there will be a clause about being kind to our less fortunate bretheren and cisterns. :rolleyes:

Keith
May 4, 2003, 11:02 AM
I live in the town of Kodiak, about 15 miles (by air) from Port Lions.

Chipperman
May 5, 2003, 12:48 AM
Everyone should be able to drive a stick shift.

jmbg29
May 5, 2003, 02:06 AM
With out destroying the intent of the original quote, how would you update it to get the point over to todays youth?By telling said "youth" that they should be able to comprehend important ideas of every age, even if those ideas are expressed using terms of a bygone era. In other words, if I have to dumb it down for someone, they weren't likely to "get it" anyway. Too bad, so sad. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me out, need to update a quote:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!