Shooting Into Water

PDA

S&W620
July 8, 2006, 06:54 AM
I don't know if anyone else caught this episode of "Mythbusters" or not but they did an episode that dealt with the effectiveness of various rounds when shot into water. Included in the testing were a 9mm (I believe a sig, could be wrong), 12 gauge, M1, AR, and the Barrett .50. I won't ruin it by giving any of the results in case some are interested in watching it, but I just wanted to let everyone know. The results are pretty interesting in my opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Into Water" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ilbob
July 8, 2006, 07:15 AM
It was a rerun. It basically showed that if you want to shoot someone who is underwater, your best bet is a lower velocity round.

The 50 cal they shot into a pool was pretty cool looking.
:)

VARifleman
July 8, 2006, 08:19 AM
The 50 cal they shot into a pool was pretty cool looking.
Yes...yes it was.

It's been discussed here, but the conclusion is that the 9mm (presumably .45 would work too) works for shooting into water, but really, you need a slug loaded shotgun...hehe.

carpettbaggerr
July 8, 2006, 08:44 PM
Aren't the Mythbusters in San Francisco? How'd they get a .50?

hksw
July 8, 2006, 09:51 PM
I think possibly that the AR50 they used was on loan by the gun shop (with representative on site) that sold them to law enforcement. Jamie even stated with it was illegal to own in CA.

mljdeckard
July 9, 2006, 02:09 AM
One thing I'm sure they got yelled at for, they were comparing scenes from movies where people jumped into water to avoid getting shot by soldiers. If they were trying to get a real comparison, they should use NATO steel-core ammo to get the real results. (This will be a different result than the 5.56 FMJ they tested.)

the 22 junkie
July 9, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hey, mlj, how nice of you too join us, you might recognize me as sdrathome from the BFC IMDb boards. Welcome aboard. (altohugh I'm not sure I have the authority too say that, being you've got more posts then me) :p

trapperjohn
July 9, 2006, 04:29 PM
they should use NATO steel-core ammo to get the real results. (This will be a different result than the 5.56 FMJ they tested.)

No, as long as they are the same weight and the FMJ lead doenst deform or expand in the water they should penetrate water just the same.

ilbob
July 9, 2006, 04:50 PM
No, as long as they are the same weight and the FMJ lead doenst deform or expand in the water they should penetrate water just the same.

They did not do enough to determine just what was going on but what was happening was the projectiles destoyed themselves on entering the water, but only the higher velocity rounds. They opined it may have been due to the forces exerted on the projectile during the rapid deceleration they experienced. I think they are probably right.

The recovered higher velocity projectiles were really just shards.

It does seem reasonable that a steel core bullet might stick together better.

trapperjohn
July 9, 2006, 05:22 PM
yes, if the bullets deformed in any way such as fragmenting then the steel core would make a difference. I had not seen the show and made the invalid assumption that the FMJ bullets didnt deform.

Tommygunn
July 9, 2006, 05:32 PM
My father once told me that when he was in the Navy Submarine Service and stationed at Groton, Ct., there was a group of SP's who thought it was cool to swim in the Thames River and dive under, and while others shot a Colt 1911 down into the water from above, they'd catch the bullet under water...in their teeth! My father thought these guys were crazy, (gee, I wonder why....???) but he didn't say anyone was ever hurt. Nor did he say how deep under water they were....
But, water must slow .45ACP down enough so it works to some degree

mljdeckard
July 10, 2006, 12:55 AM
First of all, the 22 junkie, you may speak freely to me despite my apparent seniority. (It's not nearly as much fun to argue in here. Most of the time people know what they're talking about at least a little, maintain a degree of civility, and know when to quit.) :) Jeffotmg is in here from time to time too.

On the Mythbusters, they never specified if they were using anything other than copper jacketed lead. NO, 62 grain steel core will NOT disintegrate on impact the same way a lead bullet will. (Which is what they did.) I think if the fired the .50 into 3 feet of water, using saboted light armor piercing or armor piercing incindiery, they might have a significant risk of damaging the pool.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Into Water" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!