No workshop available, so who does the best commercial AK refinishing?

PDA

grimjaw
July 8, 2006, 10:14 AM
I have an AK and an SKS that I want to get refinished for durability. I want a finish that's as reliable and tough as the rifles. I realize no finish is going to last forever, but it should hold up under lack of care.

Can you recommend any commercial refinishers to perform this work? I don't have any space in my apartment to do this kind of chemical work, and no outside area to speak of. My options for DIY are usually limited to minor woodwork.

Thanks for any info.

jmm

ps. specifically looking for metal refinishing

If you enjoyed reading about "No workshop available, so who does the best commercial AK refinishing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1 old 0311
July 8, 2006, 10:19 AM
Go to www.akforum.net There is a member named Z RECTO that does great work.

rbernie
July 8, 2006, 11:31 AM
Everyone that I know that wants the most durable finish around gets the rifle parked and then topcoated with Duracoat. You can ping Lauer directly for this, or find someone regional to do it for you. Let loose your GoogleFu on 'Duracoat finish' or similar phrases and see what ya get.

meldrim_gunsmith
July 8, 2006, 12:17 PM
I do both parkerizing and duracoats.
for heavy use nothing beats a deep parkerizing

1 old 0311
July 8, 2006, 02:42 PM
p.s. forgot there is also a guy on www.akfiles.com who does great work. He goes by ( I think) Old Dominick. Do a search under refinishing.

Mac's
July 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
Take a look at Mac's Shootin' Irons. ...Assorted colors, multiple firearm discounts, fast turn around times, excellent reputation and great prices.
http://www.shootiniron.com
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.

hso
July 13, 2006, 11:51 PM
Jimmy at Predator can ceramacoat or moly or dura. They've done all my coating work for years and that includes my carry gun and my M21 SASS.

http://www.predatorcustomshop.com/Home.php

meldrim_gunsmith
July 16, 2006, 12:29 PM
I do parkerizing, powder coats and bake on's
Located in Meldrim,GA

also do hot salt bluing
www.dos-lupes-gunclub.com/gunsmith

Coltdriver
July 16, 2006, 05:21 PM
Let me add a very enthusiastic second to Mac at www.shootinirons.com

The man does excellent work, will turn around your rifle very quickly and you will love the finish. I had him do an AK for me about four or five years ago and it came out absolutely fantastic and the stuff is tough as nails.

I have had the ak out and got it real hot shooting with no problems with the finish. Mac does an inside and out poly over parkerizing along with a fluff and buff and the result is a very tough finish and the smoothest working ak you will ever find.

If you enjoyed reading about "No workshop available, so who does the best commercial AK refinishing?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!