Remington 81 "Woodsmaster"

PDA

clarkpat
July 8, 2006, 09:33 PM
I wanted to know if anyone has any info on a Remington 81 "Woodsmaster" in .300 Savage.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 81 "Woodsmaster"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gewehr98
July 8, 2006, 11:00 PM
I'll wager it looks a lot like this one in .300 Savage, maybe without the scope:

http://mauser98.com/81stithalaskanright.jpg

Regardless, there are a few of us around who collect, own, and shoot the older Browning-patent Remington Model 8 and 81 autoloaders. You've come to the right place, fire away with the questions!

clarkpat
July 9, 2006, 11:54 AM
I recently took my Woodsmaster to a "gunsmith" here by my house to have it reblued. After firing the rifle apon getting it back it would only fire single shots. I took it back to the gunsmith and he took another look and claimed that the lips of the magazine were bent and the magazine spring was shot. He was able to get it to fire three shots in a row but the fourth and fifth rounds would not load. Given these results i dont believe that the lips are a problem seeing as how it fires the first three rounds with no problem. So that leaves me with trying to find another magazine spring. I have looked at Numerich's site but they are out of stock. Do you have any advice on my problem and how to fix it.

Gewehr98
July 10, 2006, 12:53 AM
There are other locations that stock Remington Model 8 and 81 parts, Poppert's being one of them. Otherwise, one can use the old magazine spring as a template, and order a blank spring from Brownell's and fit it to the gun. I'm pretty certain you're looking at a leaf or "V" spring for the Remington 81, but it might be a coil spring, too. I've never had mine apart that far, and the following schematics don't show the magazine spring or follower. Regardless, you could either retension your original spring, or either locate or fabricate a functional replacement, thereby fixing your ammunition feeding problems.

http://mauser98.com/ipb-remington-8.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 81 "Woodsmaster"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!