You guys talk alot about when the Poo hits the Propeller

PDA

MJ
July 8, 2006, 09:42 PM
and I see every recomendation from the 16" New Jersey main guns to a 4mm Lillyput up the bum.

What do you think it's like when they unleash the dogs? You don't have time to plan. Get-er done now!

:neener:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/13bc927c.jpg

I think this covers 5~400 yards. We don't bother anyone out that far in the flying poo, we go our own way.:scrutiny:

:cool:
MJ

If you enjoyed reading about "You guys talk alot about when the Poo hits the Propeller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Billy Sparks
July 9, 2006, 11:36 AM
Anyone that suggests such puny guns as the 16" New Jersery main guns is a twit. Why go with such a small caliber? I recently purchased the 18" guns from the Yamato complete with turret and have it installed on top of my house. Tends to keep the squirells out of the birdfeeders. :evil:

MechAg94
July 9, 2006, 12:53 PM
I think the pressure wave alone would take care of the squirrels. :D
And your windows.

MechAg94
July 9, 2006, 12:59 PM
That looks like a good little collection. Don't stop there though. It always helps to have several options.

Never forget food and water also.

arthurcw
July 9, 2006, 02:04 PM
OMG! Not the old 16" vs. 18" debate again. hasn't that been done to death.

rangerruck
July 9, 2006, 02:29 PM
you still need a 6 in bbl stainless 22 semi auto.

Surplussoldier
July 9, 2006, 03:27 PM
The 16" has higher velocity and therefore greater penetration, but the 18" has a larger diameter shell. Fackler says the 16" transfers more energy, but Jeff Cooper told me at an IPSC meet that the 18", in his experience, has greater relative stopping power.

MJ
July 9, 2006, 04:37 PM
He was on the radar fire team in Korea and said the 16" has less muzzle flash at night. When will the question ever be settled?

MJ
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/cb945949.jpg

Surplussoldier
July 9, 2006, 06:28 PM
Look, I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages, but it's shot placement that counts. A 16" in the powder magazine is better than an 18" on the poop deck.

velojym
July 9, 2006, 06:38 PM
If concealability is an issue, go with a 16. You will also more easily find higher capacity magazines in this caliber.
I'd go with the 18 otherwise, as a better one-shot-stopper.

statelineblues
July 9, 2006, 06:53 PM
Oh, great...and where am I going to find a 16" concealable holster for a leftie?

smince
July 9, 2006, 07:02 PM
Oh, great...and where am I going to find a 16" concealable holster for a leftie?
Milt Sparks:confused: :D

OldSchooler
July 9, 2006, 07:36 PM
That'll work for you and anyone standing beside you. I guess the rest are on their own. Buy plenny ammo and stock up...
I'd add a few handguns for non-threatening hidden carry and a Ruger MKII BB in 6".
Last, but certainly not least, dont forget bows, snares, traps and other silent survival tools - and knowing how to use them. Usually the best way to stay out of the sh** is to be quiet and let it blow on by. After all, we're talking survival, not looking for gunfights.
As has been said, food/water/fire and should top your list, giving you plenty to concern yourself with while your holed up, avoiding the rampaging SHTF folks.
Keep your head down, bro, keep your head down. :)

oneshooter
July 9, 2006, 07:57 PM
Personally I prefer a 14" for concealablity!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=42007&stc=1&d=1152489087

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Mannlicher
July 9, 2006, 08:36 PM
kind of a goofy thread if you ask me. I am not sure what he means

silliman89
July 9, 2006, 08:58 PM
Take off and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
:p

_N4Z_
July 9, 2006, 09:04 PM
I would go 18" Yamato maingun myself......

...but then again, might be a bit of a miracle finding surplus ammo for those things.

:uhoh:

Wes Janson
July 9, 2006, 09:06 PM
Personally I prefer a 14" for concealablity!

That's why you go for a snubbie 16", and make sure to wear those uber-cool tacticool concealed carry vests.

geekWithA.45
July 9, 2006, 09:55 PM
Oh, you 16", 18" wimps.

You've got to dust off, and nuke 'em from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Little_boy.jpg/300px-Little_boy.jpg

pete f
July 10, 2006, 03:08 AM
well those 18's are in DEEP concealment now... Something like 12000 foot deep.

When we discuss the biological waste matter becoming dispensed because of the interface with the rotary ventilation device, we generally assume that we will be prepared, not caught like those who fail to heed the warnings, and thus not be stranded up the sewage filled estuary without neither adequate means of propulsion or flotation.

I have a video of the Massachusetts firing a broadside (I think it was taken at Okinawa) and it shows the entire ship shifting about 4 feet to starboard when it happens, the wake shows a definitive jog. If you can move that much mass with recoil, that would indeed be knock down power.

pcf
July 10, 2006, 08:39 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-1/574869/Uss_iowa_bb-61_pr.jpg

16" or 18"? I'll go with the former, the acute loss of night vision will be significantly reduced compared to it's larger brethren.

MJ
July 10, 2006, 11:35 AM

Every one is on the same page.

bulltaco
July 10, 2006, 08:24 PM
I would have a Paris gun (WWI) in my backyard. Just think of the ICBM missle defense system that the US would have if every backyard had one.

velojym
July 10, 2006, 09:35 PM
Even with the 16", I'd have to see what sort of grips I can get from Pachmyr.
Shooting off an afternoon can be a bit tiring on the wrists.

HPJeep
July 10, 2006, 10:43 PM
I've got the 16" mounted to the roll bar of my Jeep. Its for hunting deer of course! The Jeep seemed to have lost all ability to move under its own engine power after mounting it though. Maybe I should flute the barrels to make a lightweight version?

_N4Z_
July 10, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hmmmmm, well somebody mentioned nuke, which I happen to know a little bit about from my fun times in the Army.

Stow those 16 and 18" guns, set range to around 75 miles, and yield to 100kt air burst. This was a short range tactical weapon mind you. :what:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/_n4z_/lance_15apr65_rsa_02.jpg

Balddragn
July 10, 2006, 10:57 PM
I would save the 16 and 18 for hunting from the blind. if your going mobile a good 14 in a carbine length + fluted barrel is the ticket. you might want to hand load the rounds a little light though. and of course you give up a little range.

Hazwaste
July 10, 2006, 11:14 PM
Is that an Honest John?

_N4Z_
July 11, 2006, 12:17 AM
No this is LANCE, battlefield tactical nuclear guided missile. I was a 15D in the mid 80's. Honest John was an unguided, free flight, nuclear predecessor with a much shorter range. John was obsoleted in the late 70's I think.

Preacherman
July 11, 2006, 12:50 AM
I'll take the 16" Iowa-class turret, thanks, but I want a saboted shell from this beast (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m65.htm) to shoot out of it:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/atomcannon.jpg

Atomic Annie was 280mm. in caliber, or 11". Put a 5" sabot around the shell, shoot it out of a 16" naval cannon, and you'd have a 30-mile-plus range with a 15-kiloton warhead. Take that, Yamato! :D

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/atomcannon2.jpg

Kurt
July 11, 2006, 12:55 AM
Kinda glad I live in a quieter area.

Ironballs
July 11, 2006, 01:12 AM
all this talk of weaponry, all i need to get though the hard times, is a box of nails, a few 2x4"s and a few weeks worth of water, spam and reeces cups..

Roadwild17
July 11, 2006, 08:19 AM
18" HAHA total lack of penitration,

bogie
July 11, 2006, 08:50 AM
I'm just gonna toss everything into my wheelbarrow, and head for the Mississippi... I figure that by the time I walk the 50-odd-miles, I'll be in shape...

MrAcheson
July 11, 2006, 09:38 AM
I think the pressure wave alone would take care of the squirrels.
And your windows.

Has anyone here ever visited the New Jersey in Camden? Near the helipad on the read deck is a structure which is basically a steel box. I forget what it contains, it's been a few years since my visit.

One of the corners of the box is completely caved in. Turns out they did fire the main guns directly astern once. That corner was caused by the muzzle blast. The heavy steel structure crumbled like a cheap paper cup. I guess there was a reason they only did it once.

Diomed
July 11, 2006, 06:42 PM
Maybe I should flute the barrels to make a lightweight version?

You'll need to stick to standard pressure loads, maybe handload with a lightweight charge.

Impala
July 11, 2006, 07:24 PM
fluting the barrels won't do much for heat dissipation however, so your rate of fire might need to be kept low to prevent barrel warping, I think Uncle Mike's has a inside the pants holster for the 16", as far as stopping power goes I think I'd go with the 500mm (20") Gustav Gun or the Dora gun http://www.frfrogspad.com/gustav.jpg. those are real manstoppers there, I'd have to have Krupp make me a bandoleer for it though so I can carry around a few extra rounds http://user.mc.net/~hawk/gun03.jpgthen I'd put a lot of "tacticool" stuff on it like a lazer and a surefire light and a silencer maybe a K-grip for the front and a M4 stock, god what the hell am I talking about? this is a ridiculous thread and it's causing me to have a serious mindf###! maybe i'll carry a 10" coastal defense gun in an ankle holster for my backup.
anyways, the 16" guns beat the 18 inchers any day of the week.

musher
July 11, 2006, 07:36 PM
I'm just gonna toss everything into my wheelbarrow, and head for the Mississippi... I figure that by the time I walk the 50-odd-miles, I'll be in shape...

I thought you were in jail!

Clipper
July 11, 2006, 09:22 PM
...I was a Mechanic in Svc battery, 1st/12th FA at Ft Sill in the early 70s (we were the unfortunates who were cursed with the army's switch from the 5/4 ton truck to the infamous Gamma Goat :barf: )...We were the only stateside Lance unit (all others were in Germany), and we happened to have the only stateside Honest John battery attached to our unit (F batt, 77th FA), of course we called 'em F-Troop...

No way to mistake those goofy launchers and L-Ts...

_N4Z_
July 12, 2006, 07:28 PM
Gamma goats! Hahaa! :neener: We used tracks, dueces, 5tons, pickups and jeeps in Germany. The 8 incher gun bunnies were still messin' with the goats so I did get to see them up close.

3/79th FA, Rivers (The Zoo) Barracks, Giessen, W. Germany. 86-88. 2nd Fire the whole time. Drove the launcher mostly, and two timed as the LS here and there. Back to Sill in 88 but got put into C-TAB 25thFA as a 13R (secondary MOS).

Lance went away not long after I ETS'd.

If you enjoyed reading about "You guys talk alot about when the Poo hits the Propeller" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!