Most embarrassing range moments?

PDA

Lupinus
July 9, 2006, 02:55 AM
So just because I am board (and it being near three in the morning and in zombie mode don't hurt either) figured it was time for another spill the beans type thread.

Whas the most embarrassing thing you have done at the range?

Dropped your gun? Boasted your accuracy and then just had an off day? Left something important at home like your ammo or targets?

Come on we all have them whats yours? :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Most embarrassing range moments?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
just one question
July 9, 2006, 03:16 AM
Once about 6 moths ago I shot the target off the carrier that holds it up. (I hit the clamp) This used to happen when I was a newbie ocasionally....but I am much better now:( I felt so pathetic that I packed up and left. (not that bad but I was shamed:o )

And you started the thread where is yours ;)

Lupinus
July 9, 2006, 03:24 AM
A few months after I started shooting I was at the range with my little Marlin and Springfield .22's getting set up.

Guns? Check.
Targets? Check.
Ammo? Check.
Ear muffs? Check

Shift something on the bench clank clang crash and I just shudder.....cause I know full well what just happened without even looking....yep I had pushed one of my (yes unloaded, they don't get that way till just before I start firing) guns and it fell on the ground, a concrete slab to be more precise. I give a little prayer that it is the old beat up Springfield, I slowly look and it is all I can do but to groan. Yes it is my Marlin with brand new scope on it, as yet without any scratch's but that was changed. I just have to hang my head in shame for a moment...then I noticed the guy next to me heard it to and apparently I wasn't the only one who knew what I did without even looking.

Diamondback6
July 9, 2006, 04:07 AM
Okay, I'll share mine. Not my embarassment, but a friend's and I was the instrument of it.

My friend is a Class 2 FFL (NFA-toy builder) in an NFA-friendly state, and I had made arrangements to check out some of the equipment from his private collection on his backyard range.

The 1928 Thompson? Rock and roll, baby, even with the drum.

The M1 Thompson? Ditto. Even without 50 rounds of drum-dumping joy, still good-to-go.

The AK47, built from scratch by his own two hands? Not a hitch, even though it does bang up my shoulder pretty good.

Finally we come to the M16, built by my gracious host's own two hands also, me all "oohRAH!" and "H-- yeah!" warface ready to go Baghdad on those empty milkjug "tangos" downrange, and...

My gentle friends, there is no sound quite so loud as when you're all set to unleash a nice, satisfying burst of full-auto goodness down the range and instead of that nice loud "B-B-B-B-B-BANG!", all you hear is...

just a quiet little "Click."

Re-cycle the weapon, drop the mag, check and clear, try it again.

"Click."

My friend opens 'er up right there, and sees the problem right away. "Oh. A broken firing pin."

Since the shop's a mile back up the road or so, and I have to be going soon anyway, we just close out playing with the Chicago pianos and talking shop.

The poor guy...

DevLcL
July 9, 2006, 04:39 AM
I used to have an SKS with, well, it was broken. When I fired it I'd have to put only 1 or 2 rounds in at a time.

I learned the hard way...

Loaded up all 10 rounds, release charging handle, flip safety, Rat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat!!!!!?!?!?! Woah! Sorry Mr. Range Master... didn't expect that one either! I'll put it away now...

A little scary but more embarrassing. They mustve thought I botched a "trigger job".

-Dev

Vairochana
July 9, 2006, 04:57 AM
OK here we go- Brand new 2nd hand Ruger .223. First time with it at the range to sight in etc.
Decide to use the bore snake one more time before firing to make sure alll is good and no oil etc.
What does Doofus do?- Doofus is used to his .303 and its pull through so he gets a bit of toilet paper and puts it in the loop and feeds it.
Three hours later with a crochet hook I am down to the boresnake- going to a gunsmith tommorow.
I didnt hang around the range long either.
I can hear the laughter from here

jon_in_wv
July 9, 2006, 08:42 AM
It was probably my second year with my agency and I was on the firing line qualifying with our duty weapon. When the target turned I attempted to draw and the front sight caught on the front of the crappy issue holster I was wearing and twisted the grip out of my hand. I ended up dropping my pistol about a foot on the other side of the firing line! While the others shot I looked over to the range officer who was bent over laughing at me. One of the other range officers stepped over and asked me what was wrong and I just pointed at my gun on the ground. She replied, "How the heck did you do that?!?!?" Of course after everone shot the RO called a cease fire and EVERYONE stood there and watched me pick up my gun. I didn't hear the end of that one for years.

dracphelan
July 9, 2006, 08:44 AM
Forgot my ammo. :rolleyes:

orangelo
July 9, 2006, 09:13 AM
I was shooting my brand new M10/9 submachinegun and after a few mags I was feeling pretty good with it. So I decided to try it without the shoulder stock.

It went into anti-aircraft mode and I shot one of the fluorescent light fixtures and the thing exploded and then fell from the ceiling and was hanging there by a wire, swinging back and forth in the middle of the range.

It sucked having to explain what happened to the guys at the cash register. :neener:

2nd best was accidentally hitting the metal clampy thing that holds the target on the carrier. Sparks flew and it caught the target on fire. It burned in half and fell apart with the top half still hanging from the carrier. Everyone wanted to know what I had used on the poor bad guy and where to get one.

Stiletto Null
July 9, 2006, 11:21 AM
I almost forgot a bolt once for one of my rifles.

Oops.

JasonMD85
July 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
The second time I went to the range, after Mr. Norton took me, I went back and rented a (Supposedly) $1200+ MSRP Kimber. First mag went fine, second mag jammed. I had NO idea what to do. I knew I had to get the round out somehow, but wasnt sure exactly how. Needless to say, after the Mag refused to eject (one round in the chamber, and one stuck nose up trying to follow it in) i racked the slide one too many times before a guy next to me came over and pushed me out of the way and cleared the jam for me. I felt like an @ss that someone had to stop practicing for what seemed to be a competition to clear some newbies jam :p On the plus side he taught me what to do :p.

#2 Took one of my best friends to the range, yesterday actually. We went to go see the gun I just bought and check out the used case for Sigs for him. After looking around for awhile and talking to the salesman etc. just BSing, we decided to run 50-100 rounds through a rental gun while we were there. He couldnt decide what he wanted to rent and the guy at the counter was getting a little irritated waiting so he just grabed a snub noise 357 magnum out of the case and handed it to my friend. Now my friend has been around guns for awhile before, but hasnt ever had any formal training. My friend takes the revolver, checks thats its unloaded, turns it in a safe direction and starts to test the trigger pull.... Lets just say the guy at the counter was NOT happy and started yelling something about "How bout we keep our fingers OFF the trigger PLEASE?!" All I could do was back up to the other counter and pretend I didnt know him..

AirForceShooter
July 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
Brought the ammo. Forgot the gun.

Don't ask

AFS

esheato
July 9, 2006, 12:51 PM
Went to an IDPA match without my pistol. Everyone found out about it too. I still hear about it and it was a few years ago.

Ed

autospike
July 9, 2006, 01:04 PM
This one is easy.
I decided to give Big Dot sights a try. So I put them on my brand new G26 and show up at the local free range. When I get there, the place is CROWDED. I had forgotten my own target stand so I had to use the lines they have setup - the closest of which is 25 yards.

So... brand new G26 + never before used Big Dots + 25 yard target + my extremely crappy eyesight = very very few rounds anywhere on the paper.

Meanwhile, the girl with the CZ in the next lane who is shooting for the first time is NAILING every shot she takes - and giggling incessantly.

I never did get used to those big dots. Swapped them for more traditional sights and haven't looked back.

dfaugh
July 9, 2006, 01:29 PM
probably more than I can remember, but a few stand out.

Took my high-school girlfriend to the range...Shooting my .22...She's never touched a gun before...Her groups were better than mine. Not by a little bit...they were HALF the size of mine.

Showed up with ammo and a few guns, only to find I'd left the one intended to shoot the most at home...I was SURE it was in that gun case.

More than once showed up with a gun, without ammo, as I'd forgotten to put it in my range box.

And the best one:

We (my buddy and I) were at the range, and we were the only ones there. Trying some cast bullets in 8x57 Mauser, that he'd loaded. RO wandered by and said, "What are you doing?" because we had taped up a piece of 24" x 36" paper, just to see where they were going....At 25 yards....and some were STILL missing the paper...Not one of our better experiments......

mountainclmbr
July 9, 2006, 01:44 PM
That is an easy one! I lived in FL at the time. Had my CCW and had a Glock 30 that I carried in a fanny pack. But I often felt funny with a man-purse and wanted something powerful, but that could be pocket carried. So I got a .45LC in a 2-shot derringer. Took it to an indoor range to try out with some HP ammo. I put the target about 10 yds out and KABOOM! No hole in the target and lots of people on adjacent lanes looking to see what the noise was all about and to see how I was shooting. The recoil was very stout, but I was sure I had not flinched. The other barrel---KABOOM! And no hole in the target again (a large silouette target by the way). Reload and try to really control trigger pull and control grip---KABOOM and the whole pully system cabling falls on my head. The recoil was causing the gun to shoot about 3 ft high at 25 yards where the far end of the pully was mounted. The last shot took out the eye bolt or whatever the system was mounted with. There was much laughter and I had a very red face. Gave the range some money for repairs and left. Too embarrased to shoot my more accurate guns I had brought along. Got rid of that Derringer after just those few shots! Fortunately never had anything close happen before or since!

Clipper
July 9, 2006, 02:13 PM
Bought 10 stainless mags that were supposed to be Colts (probably Chineese counterfiets) for my Kimber Ultra Carry. Went to the range and had two of them disintegrate, spewing rounds and mag parts everywhere, in mid-string...

XLMiguel
July 9, 2006, 03:13 PM
Was going to the range to exercise the Sig 228. Grabbed 4 boxers of S&B 9mm and threw them in the range bag. So far, so good.

Once there, I loaded up a couple of mags, inserted one, charged the weapon, aimed, and squeezed of a round. Pffft, slide didn't cycle. Merde, squib. Racked the slide, ready, aim, pfffft. Double merde. Then I dropped the mag and cleared the weapon. Something didn't look quite right, so exercising my dazzling ccommand of the obvious, I looked at the ammo box. Seems I overlooked the "Kurz" after the "9mm" on the box. Since I had just gotten there, I ended up buying a couple of $15 boxes of range ammo so teh trip wouldn't be a total loss. :rolleyes:

Wes Janson
July 9, 2006, 03:32 PM
I'm at an indoor range, firing at a target halfway to the backstop (so probably right around 10 yards). I get done with most of my shooting, and have two rounds left. So I figure I'll try to double tap quickly. First shot was on target, but I overcompensated for the recoil and had the pistol too low when I fired the second shot, and the round hit the bottom of the back wall (actually didn't miss the bottom of the target by that much). Somehow the bullet bounced back and up, hitting one of the baffles, and shattering a fluorescent light. To my perspective, I fired a shot, fired a split second later, and then the lighting died, there was a loud noise, and pieces of glass came down out of the ceiling. A full three or four seconds later, then entire assembly broke loose and came crashing down. Luckily there was no one around to laugh ;)

John-Melb
July 9, 2006, 07:29 PM
Showed up with a Smith .357, and five boxes of 9mm reloads:banghead: :banghead:

10 Ring Tao
July 9, 2006, 07:34 PM
Teaching my then girlfriend to shoot, she turned to talk to me, and swung the pistol along with her gaze. I jumped on her and shoved the gun down range.

I half expected to be kicked out after that stunt, but fortunately no one saw it.

Being the spoiled only child she was, she later told me she almost broke up with me that day "because no one treats me like that".

Too bad she didn't, would have saved me a hell of a lot of grief.

rbernie
July 9, 2006, 08:13 PM
Lesse - I've done the 'got the ammo, now where's that rifle/pistol' trick, I've done the 'got the rifle/pistol, now where's them reloads' trick, done shot a few rifle rounds over a berm or two while getting situated with my finger on the trigger (DOH!), I've launched a few gun parts downrange that required a ceasefire to collect, but last week took the cake - I managed to shoot one of the skyscreen supports for my chrono while trying to evaluate some 45ACP pistol reloads. Watching your chrono fly downrange in front of 25 other shooters is always a giggle. NOT.

Some days I'm bloody lucky that my head's already screwed on for me. :rolleyes:

chipp
July 9, 2006, 08:46 PM
went to an outdoor range with some poeple i know. to the left of me i hear someone empty an ak quickly. i look over and its one of the guys im with.
some guy to the right of me says..."what are you shooting at!? you have a pretty good group on my target"
I won't be going to the range with them anymore

axeman_g
July 9, 2006, 09:01 PM
two best....

double tap shooting a Colt Commander with a 3# or so trigger.... second shot goes into the concrete roof.... no damage but I felt sick about it.

shooting one afternoon at local range and young guy come into lane next to me with two young girls. He only has a XD .40 on him, and the littlest girl (small korean about 4'11 and 85#) is having a hard time with it. I give her my Walther P22 to shoot. Show her how to use it, load the clip and move back. She pulls trigger nothing, I moved up and rack the slide again thinkin it was a dud round. She readies and pulls trigger... nothin. Lets try this again.... nothin third time. Then I realize... darn safety is on and in that model the hammer still falls when you pull the trigger. :banghead: . She did enjoy the gun after my idiocy delayed it usage.

I hated that gun.... Poor girl was so cute about it and was classy enough no to humiliate me to my face...

Haymaker
July 9, 2006, 10:09 PM
Bought new, took it to the range, loaded it up & touched off s round:eek: The thing disassembled itself in my hands with the slide dangeling off the back of the frame & the muzzelnut at least 1/2 way to the 25yd target:confused:
Unloaded the thing & sent the shards back to the factory.....when it came back, the anodized black finish (stainless Gun) had been buffed off & POLISHED:eek: = dang thing glistened like a pimp's wetdream!:what: Back to the range, = lasted 3 rounds this time before it broke:banghead: put it back together, took the sorry thing to a gunshow & traded it off for a pair of BP duellers:neener:
Never did find out where the bullets went:rolleyes:

Kharn
July 9, 2006, 10:16 PM
I left my targets at home, and found it was almost impossible to see a 2" orange stickie on brown cardboard at 100 yards, much less hit it using the red reticle of an EOTech. :banghead:

Kharn

KIMBER45TLE
July 9, 2006, 10:56 PM
Been firing 1911's most of the morning when I decided to take out my Smith Model 24-3 in 44 Special. Fired six rounds, clicked the seventh, layed the pistol down and started looking for the brass which surely should be laying on the ground. Right????????

crsgw
July 9, 2006, 10:58 PM
The first time I went to the range with my new muzzleloader. I packed up everything I needed (or so I thought). I set up my target. Then I loaded 2 pyrodex pellets and seated the saboted bullet. I was so excited!!!
I was forgetting something...oh yeah, I needed a 209 primer to set this thing off. Guess what I forgot? Yep! I had everything I needed...except primers. So, with my tail between my legs, I packed everything up and headed home. Now I bring 100 primers, regardless of the number of shots I plan on firing.

statelineblues
July 9, 2006, 11:33 PM
I was a firearms instructor for an armored car company for over ten years; can't say I've seen it all, but plenty has past before my eyes. However, the worst is when I manage to be the lesson.
One fine day at an outdoor range, I was teaching a group of new hires basic weapons handling - safety, safety, SAFETY! Your weapon is Always loaded! Always check it to be sure! I finish chapter and verse, and begin the basic marksmanship section. I had a 6" steel plate set up downrange, and as I finished talking about sight alignment and trigger control I aim my Glock 19 and pull the trigger. CLICK. Feeling a bit foolish, I rack the slide and repeat. CLICK. Rack a third time. CLICK. Lock back the slide to see what's wrong, and I'm staring at my feet thru the empty magazine well.

Some days it just ain't worth chewing thru the leather straps.........

Diamondback6
July 10, 2006, 12:17 AM
Statelineblues, you coulda turned it into an impromptu learning oppurtunity right there:

"And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we always check our weapons. Because the only thing worse than a round in the pipe when you think there's not is not having one when you need it..."

I might work that into a "script" for when I'm teaching...

dzimmerm
July 10, 2006, 02:24 AM
I decide, since I am left handed, to try shooting my Hi-Point C9 with my left hand. I found out that with my grip I could not avoid hitting the magazine release when pulling the trigger, Nothing less impressive than dropping the magazine when you are trying to shoot a target.

The second time I brought my Makarov to the range, brought the ammo to the range, unfortionately my 4 magazines were sitting at home, :( .

dzimmerm

MikeH
July 10, 2006, 12:16 PM
Hit the target carrier while practicing double tap at an indoor pistol range.

hnk45acp
July 10, 2006, 12:28 PM
I loaded an ar15 magazine bottom up and sat there trying to figure why it wasn't loading.
a friend of mine who has pretty bad luck with high end guns experienced the following in a week:
Shot the front sight off his Kimber Warrior
Shot the rear sight off his Performance Center SW1911
Had an Ed Brown that wouldn't feed right and while loading said Ed Brown had a Ed Brown Magazine disintergrate in his hands and the bullets go everywhere.
I told him to stick to KelTecs & Hi Points

TonyB
July 10, 2006, 12:48 PM
I went to shoot an IPSC match at my local club.Now in my defense I was shooting a snubnosed revolver(a 357,but I'm shooting 38's)..anyway....last stage,it's like 90 degrees and I'm a fat guy,so I'm sweating like Bill Clinton playing Truth or Dare.....6 steel plates that take about 30 rounds to hit.The last speed loader was filled with 357's(125gr)by mistake(my sometimes carry load)I do a fast reload(already pissed that I'm missing so much)and pull the trigger.....KABOOOOM...everyone jumps,and I hit the plate stand,which send a little peice of the stand right back and hits me in the face!Now I'm sweating AND bleeding.I finally get the plates down(w/ the rest of the 357's).When I'm done,one guys says"Hey,I think you're hit."I never made a quicker get away.....:banghead:

Taurus 66
July 10, 2006, 12:49 PM
Was shooting by brand spanking new Remington .22 WMR auto loader and it has an exceptional ejector ... only thing was the brass being ejected was wildly unpredictable. One of the cartridges landed on my shirt collar and wormed its way down my back ... oh say about 200+ degrees F. I created a new dance jig, but this wasn't enough, so I took off my shirt, only it looked like I never took off my shirt. Others at the range must have been thinking, "Dude!.." That was one hell of a farmers tan.

Punkermonkey
July 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
You know the boxed Remington .22lr ammo you can get a Wally-world? The one with 550 rounds? I now from personal experience that one box will cover approximately 3 square meters of floor space at the indoor range. Should you need to cover a larger area, simply open box, drop, and repeated until the desired coverage is reached.

Dionysusigma
July 10, 2006, 12:55 PM
Forget my hearing protection. It hurt, and I never did it again. :eek:

Also brought 500rds of Wolf and a brand-new AK to the range, where I was promptly told that "we don't allow that crap at our range." Ended up buying only one box of American Eagle 7.62x39 (at $15.00 :mad: :Fire: ) as it was all I could afford.

I haven't been back to H&H since.

grislyatoms
August 12, 2006, 01:23 PM
When I had my XM15, I used to tote it back and forth to the range in a toolbox, broken down into it's upper and lower halves.

Met a friend at the range one day to shoot it. Took the upper out, cleaned oil out of the bore...

Where's the lower?:what:

Sitting on the couch back home.:banghead:

TheFrontRange
August 12, 2006, 01:48 PM
One time a couple of years ago at the indoor range I frequent, I was merrily blasting away with my then-Kimber Custom, firing some of those peppy Cor-Bon Pow'rBall rounds.

I was changing mags when a shooter from two lanes over taps me on the shoulder. "Are you finished shooting?" he asks.

"Um, well, no...I've probably got another 30 minutes or so left," I replied, not really understanding his question. There were only three of us on the line at the time so I knew folks weren't standing around in the lobby waiting on a lane.

"Could you come over here a second?" he then asked. I cleared the Kimber, set it down, and walked with him over to his lane.

He held up a flattened projectile. "I think this may be yours," he says. "It just hit me in the chest."

I was horrified. My round had apparently travelled its way back up the range after smacking the backstop! He took it all in stride...in fact, he told me it wasn't the first time he'd been struck like that. He said it didn't hurt him at all, he just felt a sudden nudge in his chest and the round fell to his feet.

It shook me up a heck of a lot more it did him. After profusely apologizing to him and a word to the range-master (all of which gave my hands time to stop shaking and my breathing to return to normal!) I tucked my remaining Cor-Bons back in my range bag in favor of other ammo and slipped some shooting glasses over my eyeglasses...I'd always relied on just my specs for eye protection, but suddenly that didn't seem like quite enough!

Harry Stone
August 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
I was very embarrassed when I shot a target that I thought someone had left on the backstop but the shooter was still there. He chewed me out pretty good for shooting at his target. I gave him one of mine to replace it. After that I realized why I made that mistake. The idiot was shooting across two lanes at the wrong backstop. Then I was embarrassed for him.

dc2wheel
August 13, 2006, 02:12 AM
Took a girlfriend [first time shooter] to the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. She's having a great time until she catches a hot 7.62 spent casing down her little tank top. To her credit, she [surprisingly calmly] places the safety on, the Romanian AKM on the bench, then proceeds to dance around like a crazy person, darn near tearing her shirt off until the burning hot casing fell out [it was stuck in her bra]. Half the folks on the line took a step back and wondered what the 6' tattood girls was freaking out about & eventually a range safety officer came out to make sure everything was 'ok'. She had a little burn for a few days, but it was worth it having her ask me to 'kiss it better' a few times :) Now all the first time shooters get a "normal to the neck shirt of some sort" notice along with the NRA basic handgun/rifle course.
-dc2wheel

RustyShackelford
August 13, 2006, 02:24 AM
Many years ago(1991-1992 range) I was shooting reloaded 9mm rounds out of a rental S&W model 3913 9mm. I had a jam and cleared it. I kept shooting when the 9mm pistol broke again. As I leaned over the pistol to see what was wrong I pulled back on the trigger at the same time...:eek: The S&W pistol fired and I was taken by surprise! I almost shot myself in the face.

Now that would have been a bad day! :D

RS

MrZ
August 13, 2006, 02:43 AM
Stock out of the box springfield .45....check...

Dylan progressive reloader...check....

Comedy at the range....you bet.

So I'm doing some controlled paired grouping with my stock .45 somewhere around the 5,000 round mark of its life, and I've been going at it for a bit and am "in the zone".

BAM-BAM...
BAM-BAM...
BAM.....

??!!???

For some reason, I lost my focus on the front sight post. I squint, wipe my eyes, and try to reaquire my sight picture...to no avail. I STILL can't see the front sight post.

"Odd", thought I.

I REWIPE my eyes, and concentrate intently on the front sight post...and that's when I noticed....there WAS no front sight post. That baby had come right off!

"BAH!!!", thought I. I showed my buddy, who promptly laughed at me. The guys that ran the range laughed too. They were ex-AMU pistol dudes and IPSC shooters who had fired a gazillion rounds and informed me that they had broken just about every piece there was on a .45 at one point or another.

This was tragic in my noob eyes, but it lead to transforming the .45 from the stock weapon it was, into the piece of art it became after some cash and some good gunsmithing. Live and learn.

Which leads me to...

A "thug" looking dude comes into the range one day with his bag o' guns. He's got the gold jewelry, the pants around the ankles, the crooked hat, and an attitude. He saddles up to the firing line and proceeds to unload a 9mm, a .50 desert eagle, and a .357. My buddy and I kind of chuckle, but ignore him and continue our training. All of a sudden my buddy taps me on the shoulder...

"Check THIS out!!!"

I look in the direction he was staring at, and see our man from the ghetto bearing down on his target with his .50 desert eagle...with his non-firing hand grasped around his firing hand....directly behind the slide. I start to move toward him to square him away, but my buddy grabs my shoulder...

BAM!!!!

It was too late.

The dude fired, and the slide promptly came back and took a nice bite out of his non-firing hand. I guess they don't warn you about that in "gangsta" school.

Ohio Rifleman
August 13, 2006, 02:44 AM
Not as embarassing as causing destruction at an indoor range or almost killing a fellow shooter, but this is all I've got. First time I took my brand new Ruger 10/22 carbine to an outdoor range. I loaded it, peered down the scope it came with, carefully aligned my crosshairs on the target...squeezed the trigger, and...click. I thought there was something wrong with the rifle, but the safety was on. I pressed the little button and was happily plinking away with my brand-new .22 This was about a year ago. At least I know the safety works :neener:

moredes
August 13, 2006, 09:25 AM
I left my targets at home... I forgot my ammo... I forgot my gun... I destroyed something... I had the safety on... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. :rolleyes: :D

RustyShackleford, I think you might take the prize with that one, but I beg to enter the race...

I left 2 guns in the parking lot and drove off for the rest of the day :eek: :eek: :uhoh: :scrutiny: :o (a Wilson Combat Super Grade and a Magnum Research BFR 45-70 with 3-12x Burris Posi-Lock). They were in an unlocked gun case, and I'd put them down behind my car next to the trunk to help a friend carry something heavy. (I had parked my car nose out.) Then I forgot what I was doing, got in my car, and followed him to his house. Seven hours later, I got home. I opened up the trunk and perused my situation with a "***???"

In a panic, I called one of the rangemasters I knew, at home. He hauled-ass to the range and found them just where I'd left them. They'd sat out in the open, in front of the first parking stall, at the walkway entrance, 10 yards from the only entrance to the shooting line, from 1030AM til the range closed. Man, I got lucky.

Duh... am I in the running as the king ijit? :rolleyes: :D.... I be's proof that not evahbuddy here is qualified as having 'average' intelligence.:D

Confirmedkill
August 13, 2006, 01:51 PM
The first time my friend took me to the pistol range I jumped when I entered the indoor firing range. I had ear protection on at the time. I was at the pistol range yesterday shooting at targets when I hear this big boom and felt the shockwave. Turns out the person two stalls to the left of me rented a .500 S&W revolver. I must of jumped 3 inches off the ground. So much for my intended career in Law Enforcement if I jump everytime someone shoots a gun. I think I am the new king of embarrassment. :what:

the 22 junkie
August 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
One time I rented an Ar-15 at a range and didn't know how to work the damn thing, so I just handed it back to the RO, loaded. :o

RH822
August 13, 2006, 02:43 PM
About 5 years ago I was teaching my then 13 year old daughter how to shoot clay pigeons. She just couldn't get the hang of it. I would correct her stance, tell her watch the clay, you know, the usual stuff and the whole time she kept trying to say something. I would just cut her off and tell her to be quite and to just listen, it will be OK and then give her more instruction, because, Hey, I'm the dad and dads are always right. Right?... Wrong. Well after about 20 minutes of putting up with me, she shouted DAD! I shouted WHAT! she shouted I'M LEFT HANDED!!! As I crawled back to the thrower I mumbled something like " welll... then... just break the stupid things" .
After I "left" her alone, she broke 13 of 15.

RH

AndyC
August 13, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'd been lucky enough to train with a lot of South African cops since I was 14 and, once I was trusted, I got to regularly tag along for tactical room-entry type stuff. Great fun with almost 360-degree courses of fire, but it totally messed me up for my first actual IPSC match (about 20 years ago now).

I was real surprised when my buddy told me that after 8 stages I was in line for a medal if I could keep it together with 2 more stages to go (woohoo!), so stage 9 was a jungle-lane type of drill - run down the line and double-tap the targets left and right before ending up at the various poppers-and-hostages combos. No problemo - piece of cake.

All hyped, I started at a full sprint, hosed the first two targets with my CZ75 and missed the third target which was down at ground-level; I was going too fast to stop so I put 2 more rounds into it just after I pass it - BEEP!

I got disqualified immediately and it took a few seconds to realise that I'd forgotten the 180-degree rule - you can't shoot anything that's actually behind you for safety-reasons, but I was so in fight-mode at the time (Kill it! Kill it now!) that I forgot and reverted to my old house-clearing type training. Talk about muscle-memory!

Very embarassing because everyone had heard about the kid that had come out of nowhere and was watching to see how I did :banghead:

evan price
August 13, 2006, 07:50 PM
Yesterday as a matter of fact.

I just bought an FAL rifle from a board member & spent some time getting it right. So I used that know-how to WECSOG together an IMBEL FAL kit on an Entreprise receiver I got at a local gunshop a few months ago and had been holding in reserve. I started building it 9am Saturday and had it ready to roll Sat afternoon. A couple family members & a friend & I went out to the outdoor range up the road from me with an assortment of hardware including various AK's, an SKS, a Mosin Nagant, and my two FAL's.
The range was busy. All of us had out CCW's. We came rolling up in two SUV's looking like a .gov convention with our aluminum briefcases, .50 cal ammo cans, holstered sidearms, etc.
The other range goers were a family with kids shooting .22's, a couple guys bench resting .223's and a couple kids with a Romanian AK.
Well, after a lot of noise and smoke we managed to puncture the hell out of a lot of things. A few people came over during cease fire to look at the hardware and the kids with the AK asked about my FALs. So I showed him how easy it was to break open and check the action. Popped the release, he asked about how the gas system works, I angled it so he could see, and PLOP the bolt carrier dropped out into the dirt. Luckily it was the IMBEL kit that needed refinished anyway.

HPJeep
August 13, 2006, 08:46 PM
When I was in the fourth grade I belonged to the Cub Scouts. Dad is quite an accomplished shooter and collector and decided to take the boys of our troop to the outdoor range. Since I've been taught a long time ago how to shoot I did not need any instructions or help like most of my first time shooters in the troop. The adults were helping the others while I was shooting Dad's 1890 Winchester .22 at the target and doing quite well. I got bored and decided to shoot one of the wooden legs of the target stand. Score! I was feeling smug with myself and decided to do it again. Score again! But the bullet cracked the leg and a huge chunk fell over almost causing the target to fall down. I knew I did bad and sneeked a glance over to Dad. He just gave me THE LOOK! He never said anything about it either. I never did it again to this day! I was surprised that I was not grounded!

RustyShackelford
August 13, 2006, 10:42 PM
In 1999, my good friend and I used a free state firearm range run by the Game Commission. I had some old "exploding" targets I bought from a mail order catalog that I wanted to shoot up. My buddy and I set up the targets on the wood target stands and started to blast away. After a few rounds hit the sides of the exploders the targets started to smoke and catch on fire! :uhoh:

The wood target stands caught fire and started to burn. My friend and I quickly put the small fires out with handfuls of dirt and then we removed the "exploder" type targets. I bought these stupid things thinking they would pop like firecrackers not burn down the entire range! :eek:

A game officer came by later and was really POed but we were able to get out of that jam, :D .

MNgoldenbear
August 14, 2006, 12:56 AM
Done many of the above. No ammo, no gun, "ears" off at wrong time.

Shooting IPSC-type match with a 1911 on "hot" range. Passed on "load and make ready" command, as I was already "hot". BEEP. Draw, point, press... nothing, not even a click. Brain shifts into high gear: "Why didn't it go bang? Why not even a click? It HAS to click when the hammer drops. Hammer must be already down. But if I'm "hot", the hammer has to be cocked. Only reason the hammer wouldn't be cocked is if YOU FORGOT TO RELOAD AFTER THE LAST STAGE!" Grab mag, tap-rack, hose for everything you're worth, crawl away muttering to yourself.

IPSC match. Jam/misfire. Tap-rack. Extractor wasn't hooked on round, so proceeded to generate 3-point jam of next round with round still in chamber. Struggle, finally lock open and strip mag out, clearing 3-point jam, seat new mag and rack. FORGOT TO CLEAR ROUND IN CHAMBER! sigh! (and curse) Clear same jam again, remembering to clear EVERYTHING this time. Proceed to hose last target with remaining 8 rounds out of frustration. All documented on video.

Public range: Not payng attention and started to go forward to targets during cease fire before line was cleared/released to go forward. Got called BY NAME over the PA by the asst. rangemaster to get back. It was the range that I worked at as a part-time line safety officer. VERY embarrassing.

Left entire bag of pistols (4 or so) in a competition bay at the same range and drove home after a PPC match. Called rangemaster in a panic from home. One of the other competitors had turned the bag in at the office.

As with most things, lack of concentration is the key problem. Hope it never leads to anything more than embarrassment.

Hoppy590
August 14, 2006, 01:10 AM
put a round into the dirt getting set for some skeet. forgot the model 12 doesnt have a disconect

the other day i let my friend use said model 12 when trap shooting in a field. he gave it back to me. i loaded it up and got set for the next target. only to line up, pull the trigger. only to be stoped by the safety :banghead:

danurve
August 14, 2006, 11:05 AM
Brought the ammo.
Brought the guns.
Brought the rests, targets, eye & ear protection.

Forgot the trigger lock keys. :banghead:

Stiletto Null
August 14, 2006, 11:06 AM
Forgot the trigger lock keys.HAAHAHAHHAHAHAAHa pwned.

Aggie's Revenge
August 14, 2006, 11:58 AM
I was at an indoor range a couple of years ago. I was having some jamming problems with my Ruger P90 and decided to break it down and see what was going on. As I was putting it back together my hand slipped and allowed the spring to go flying into the impact area.

It is a humbling experience to ask the range master to make the range cold because of a rookie mistake on my part.

trueblue1776
August 14, 2006, 12:06 PM
Shot through a wood cover barrier while shooting to the side around it, rangemaster said I had to write my name and rank next to the hole. It was a proud day for my tactical skills. Funniest thind about it was I had been shooting the same course for six years. I guess thats why I've never been invided to the instructers academy.:)

Princecookie
August 14, 2006, 12:37 PM
About five years ago I bought a new TC Encore from Virgin Valley Custom Guns. It was in 44 mag, with a high polished 15" full bull barrel. It had high grade fancy walnut pistol grip and forend with ebony grip cap and forend tip. It was topped with a Leupold pistol scope. It was stunning to say the least. When I was setting up my firing point, a crowd started to gather, I was very excited. I opened the action and tried to load one of my handloaded 44 mag rounds. It wouldn't chamber. I tried another and it also wouldn't chamber. I thought that I somehow screwed up the rounds that I handloaded, so I tried to load some factory ammo that I had and they also wouldn't chamber. That is when I looked down the barrel and saw that the barrel HAD NO CHAMBER! I sheepishly turned around and had to explain to about 20 of my friends what happened. Now, whenever I get a new firearm I am always asked to make sure it has a chamber. and BTW, I believe Virgin Valley Custom Guns is out of buisness.

A. Patriot
August 14, 2006, 01:32 PM
I had just bought a Beretta, Model 948, 22 LR and took it to the range. I loaded the magazine. pointed it downrange and fired. It went FULL AUTO!!!

Someone had tried to do a trigger job on it and took too much of the sear off of the hammer.

I was able to buy a new hammer from Numerich Arms and I was in business!!

Nice little pistol.

Steve 48
August 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
Dropped my Glock 35 at a Action Pistol match once and got disqualified immediately. It was hot and sweaty and it just slipped when I drew the gun. That's the first time ever in 40 years of shooting I ever dropped a gun even in Vietnam. Steve 48

TonyB
August 14, 2006, 02:06 PM
TrueBlue reminded me of another one...one of my 1st weekly IDPA matches..I shot the crap out of a barracade...like 6 or 7 rounds before I heard the RO yelling "STOP"....although it was a great group :uhoh: :D
Also dropped my Glock 17 while reloading at an IDPA match.Since there was only 3 of us there,we took a vote and I got to stay...but didn't shoot the rest of the night.

TrapperReady
August 14, 2006, 03:22 PM
I was shooting a highpower match -- 100 yard reduced course, with a 1945 SA M1 Garand. I shot the standing OK. Then the rapid fire sitting, still OK. Then the rapid fire prone, mostly OK but with some stringers off to the left.

For the slow-fire prone, I carefully aimed the first shot and fired. It was way left, just outside of the scoring rings. Hmm. Must have pulled it, even though I thought it broke fine. I sent another round down-range... even further to the left. I made a pretty big adjustment to the rear sight and fired again. This time, it was in the 7-ring, but left of the bull. I shot again. It was out of the scoring rings.

WTH?

I made another huge adjustment to the rear sight. Barely got into the scoring rings. I cranked the rear sight all the way over and it was barely on the target. I finished out the prone by aiming almost off the paper to the right, just to get into the black.

When I was done, I mentioned this to friend, who looked at my rifle and pointed out that my front sight had come loose and was about 1-2mm from falliing off.

If I'd just taken a couple minutes to do some trouble shooting, instead of just chasing the symptoms around, I probably would have figured it out and not had such a disastrous stage.

Larry Ashcraft
August 14, 2006, 04:42 PM
Shooting IHMSA Silhouette back in the early 80s. I was an experienced Unlimited shooter, and us experienced guys would close the bolt at the "load" command, even though that is generally frowned upon (no safety, light trigger). You see, we could get the first shot off at the "fire" command, giving us more time for the other four shots.

So one day I had cleaned the chickens, and was starting to shoot pigs. At the "load" command, I closed the bolt and sighted on my first pig. I was in the zone, this pig was MINE as I squeezed off the first round, Bang - Clang.

The match director looked down at me, grinned, and said: "Fire!" "Larry loses a shot". :o

Jeff Timm
August 14, 2006, 06:12 PM
OK, I got to the indoor range, signed in, went to open the case for ammo inspection...couldn't find the right key. It was on the other ring. Sigh. Took me 5 minutes to go through both sets. It now resides on it's own small keyring and is easy to locate.

Geoff
Who finds it difficult to shoot well while heavily BLUSHING! :uhoh:

sm
August 14, 2006, 07:12 PM
Not really embarrassing for me, I can give as good as I get, now some viewing pretended they did not know me...

Remember the 4 ladies that were Surgical Nurses that traveled, I assited in instructing and coaching? I mean Drop Dead Gorgeous! Not interested in guys, 2 couples. Makes no difference to me...

Time to shoot the first small club tourney away from home. I have a "tendency" to promote the Mental Game [90%] over the Physical Game [10%] - the fact "somehow" "something" might mess with opponents Mental game ...well, stuff happens.

Uh uh, oh yeah. Them itty bitty teenie weenie Yellow Polka Dotted Bikinis were worn the day before the shoot. We went to see the field, get used to targets, scenery...just when they took off T shirts, and later cut off jeans, them matching bikinis underneath.

Made sure noticed we did. Folks tripping and falling and all sorts of distracted behaviors.

Next day...T shirts that had that Bikini Top - front and back...

"Where is that coach of yours" [me].

I stepped out of the high house and just stood there, and modeled MY shirt, turned around and everything.

I was wearing a long sleeve, white oxford shirt , button down collar, oversize for a over shirt with Four of them bikini's on back and one on shirt pocket like a logo.

Person that made the T shirts, did Me a shirt and we did not tell the ladies.

It was a riot! :D

Focus? Oh the ladies did great! Everyone else had flubs and flitters. I mean just being seen while others shot, or them shooting and folks watching [ guys getting elbowed by wives and GFs]

One little lady really wanted My shirt for her Mom. Mom- as were the other ladies, were great sports, thought it was great messing with the guy's psych. Her husband turned beet red.

Little girl got the shirt - she was cute as button - Mom wore it and dad just had a dumb grin on his face.

We then started putting coins and dollars in a hat to get the dad to wear the shirt.., enter the "slow strip music being hummed> .money went for the kids range supply fund.

Embarassed? Nope, not me. I am centered enough....But some other folks sure were beet red, flubbing shots, and "I do not know that boy [me] - boy about half crazy ya know?

I told "my girls" to go out like they owned that field...they did, and sure enough shot great!

mljdeckard
August 14, 2006, 07:34 PM
I had inherited my grandfather's M-1 Carbine, and I doubt he ever put more than a few rounds at a time through it. I shot a few magazines, ans went to shoot some more, and I couldn't acquire the front sight. I wiggled around, thinking I must me disoriented. Nope. I looked down at the muzzle, and realized the front sight was GONE. (Thinking of Ron White describing when he took his van to a Sears service center and the wheel fell off. "It fell off. It fell OFF. It FELL THE ____ OFF!!") I waited for the cease-fire, and walked around front to retrieve the front sight which had crept off the end of the muzzle. Luckily only the range master noticed. I went to a gun show the next weekend, bought a new lock pin, and set it in with some loc-tite and everything is fine.

I was trained in the Army as a armor crewman, and in basic at Fort Knox, I never qualified with a rifle. I zeroed the rifle, but the following day I was on KP or something, and didn't qualify. I asked the drill sergeant if I was supposed to make it up, and he told me it wasn't important, since we were armor crewmen, the rifle wasn't our primary weapon, and it was therefore not necessary to graduate. (?!). So, I went to Germany, and the first thing they did was put me on a truck out to the local woods to qualify. I was using the standard target with ten various shaped silhouettes, all with the same small circle (about 2") in the middle of it. I HAD NEVER SEEN THIS TARGET BEFORE. I asked the sergeant, "Which target to I shoot at?" he replied, "THE ONE IN FRONT OF YOU IDIOT!!" So, I proceeded to put all 40 rounds through the top right-hand circle. When I was done he looked and laughed and apologized, but I mean really, who in the army doesn't know how to qualify with an M-16? So, they gave me another 40 and a new target, and made a show of explaining to me VERY LOUDLY, that you put four rounds through each circle. No problem.

Pumpkinheaver
August 14, 2006, 08:40 PM
Shot my self in the manhood once!!!! Actually a ricochet hit me right to the right of that area but it was close enough to scare the you know what out of me!!!!!:what:

CAPTAIN MIKE
August 14, 2006, 08:46 PM
Just goes to show you the importance of NEVER taking safety for granted.

I was shooting at an indoor range (normally shoot at an outdoor range) and was doing some test firing on a BUG after maintenance. I took out the magazine while the safety was on and (without checking to see if there was a round in the chamber), took the safety off and fired it downrange fully expecting to hear a "click" rather than a "BOOM".

Needless to say, it shocked me (and embarassed me) enough that it will NEVER happen again. I check...and double check...and sometimes triple check...just to be sure.

Remember the basic rules of safety and practice them religiously.

RustyShackelford
August 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
I would say it's always good to check a semi auto pistol well. I remember once clearing my Beretta 96D after removing it from my concealment holster. I let the loaded mag drop and quickly looked down the top of the weapon through the magazine well. I let the slide go forward and started to pull the DA only trigger when I realized the round in the chamber! :eek: . I let go of the trigger, racked the slide back then watched in surprise as the "hidden round" flew out!

This could have been a bad AD. It's also important to remember all safety rules when using semi auto pistols(loaded and unloaded) and to avoid rushing.

It's a good idea to where the loaded chamber indicator is on your pistols and how they work, ;) .

Rusty

AKAMac
August 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
Took my son to trap shoot in Town, Livermore Rod and Gun Club, with my Stevens SXS 20 ga and my Rem 870 exp 12 ga.
Open slot in a group that I take while son watches me break 24 with 870.
Son beaming as I win a slab of bacon.
Next group up invites us to fill their group. My son has the 870 I am using the Stevens.
I've had this gun since my Grandfather gave it to me when I was 12.
Son at station 1 makes break.
Me at station 2... Pull!!! Click?
Break it open.. shell in left bore.. pulled foreward trigger.. My shame was the look on my sons face.....:banghead:

bakerj
August 14, 2006, 10:18 PM
After the NJ assault weapon ban I opted to escape to Illiniois of all places with my new HK91 rather than get rid of it. I went out to Bensenville, Il to a place called Gunworld that had an Indoor Range upstairs that you could shoot rifles at. I had never been there before, went up and signed in with the range officer who directed me to a lane. I set out my gear, loaded the rifle and squeezed off two shots when I heard screaming and pounding on the window behind me. It was the range officer and he was foaming at the mouth! He motioned for me to put the rifle down, burst in and grabbed the rifle and told me that I needed to be in the range one door over and that both rounds I had fired probably penetrated his backstop.

I had never been there before and he plainly saw me walk up to the counter with a rifle case, maybe he thought I had 9 or 10 handguns in it? The ranges were not marked rifle/pistol. I thought he should have been paying more attention to where he assigned shooters. It was a strange experience, I never went back.

Lupinus
August 14, 2006, 10:24 PM
if he has seperate ranges (esspecialy ones not clearly marked where you can say "hey buddy") he should be asking people what they are shooting. I know the one indoor range I used to go to all the time asked me every single time what I was shooting when I showed up with the rifle case. Even though they knew me they still asked every single time since their backstop couldn't hold up to anything out of a rifle other then 22lr and pistol calibers. They didn't even allow .223's

texgunner
August 15, 2006, 12:53 AM
Bought a NIB Colt Lt. Commander. Took it home, broke it down, cleaned it. Went to the range next day.....without mags.:(

rangerruck
August 15, 2006, 02:37 AM
scope eye with a 303 british, that i was sure i put the mount on good and tight.

entropy
August 15, 2006, 11:14 AM
Taught a friend how to use the safety on his Mosin, (he didn't even know it had one) and promptly had an ND with my own Mosin while using the safety not two minutes later. No damage done, thanks to the Four Rules, except to my pride. :o

samray
September 10, 2006, 09:31 PM
"TrueBlue reminded me of another one...one of my 1st weekly IDPA matches..I shot the crap out of a barracade...like 6 or 7 rounds before I heard the RO yelling "STOP"....although it was a great group
Also dropped my Glock 17 while reloading at an IDPA match.Since there was only 3 of us there,we took a vote and I got to stay...but didn't shoot the rest of the night."

TonyB, if that happened where I think it di, I would not sweat it. You have 2 people in that group who are very out of control. One guy who has his finger glued to the trigger and one guy who has shot a jeep up. I think you are a very safe shooter.

Steamship Trooper
September 11, 2006, 03:40 AM
One mine, one my Dad's-

Dad's- "OK, Pop, the Makarov does NOT have a spring on the firing pin. If you hit the slide release on a charged magazine, you run a serious risk of an inertial fire."

"Got it, son, no propblem."

Three years goes by. He's teaching a friend care and feeding of the Makarov pistol at a range in San Antonio:

"OK, so when you are releasing the slide release, make sure it is in a safe direction or" POW "that can happen."

He told me later he had no idea that it WOULD, and then retroactively belived me when I reminded him that it COULD.

Mine- Not a range moment, but embarrassing-

Fallujah, 2005-

"CLICK"

Browns Fan
September 11, 2006, 12:29 PM
While at an M16 qualification range in Germany, I accidentally thumbed my selector switch to auto. I was dubbed "Auto Joe" after that one.:o

Bartholomew Roberts
September 11, 2006, 01:25 PM
Let's see... I have enough to choose from that I wouldn't know where to start; but three come to mind easily enough:

Taking a Carbine course where we shoot over a stairstep barrier. Instructor reminds us about the height over bore differences with the AR15 and reminds us not to shoot up his nice new barrier... all the time I am thinking "Like I would make that rookie mistake". First run out, I put a hole through the barrier due to height over bore difference :o

Taking a different carbine course, we are working on stoppage drills so we have to get rid of all live ammo. Rather than dump out all the stuff in my chest rig, I decide to take it off and do the stoppage drills with my CCW piece (which I unload) and ditch the extra mags. After the stoppage drills, we go to live fire and while practicing transitions, I draw my (now unloaded) CCW piece instead of the loaded pistol in my chest rig and go "click click" at the target.

And for my most recent one, I was shooting up a batch of XM193PD that had proved remarkably frustrating in the number of squibs I was getting. I knew I should get rid of it before something bad happened but felt confident I could control the risk by inspecting the bore after every underpowered load. So here I am trying to do some drills and I keep getting squibs (5 in about 45 rounds). Every time, I break down the upper and check it and the bore is clear; but it is really eating up my training time and frustrating me. Once again I pull the trigger and get a "pop" and the shell does not eject... however, this time I am sure I saw an impact on the berm so rather than check the bore I rack another round into the chamber...

Luckily for me, the bullet that didn't exit the bore is sitting just forward of the throat and the next round doesn't chamber - giving me the big clue that I have done something stupid. Realizing how close I came to destroying a high-end rifle and injuring myself, I decide to stop buying tickets in the stupidity lottery and give the remaining ammo away to a reloader to break down for components.

So there you go... something for you all to think about next time you read advice from me ;)

pharmer
September 11, 2006, 03:56 PM
Every time I shoot the target holding clip off, I am glad I have ears on so I can't hear the laughter. Although when somebody else does it I don't laugh but feel relief I'm not alone in this. Joe

redneckdan
September 11, 2006, 07:48 PM
On a particularly challegning senario for the MTU pseudo IDPA club. I double tap and put one in the head, just like the drill was supose to go. "cept I shot the hostage.

Diana's Angels
September 12, 2006, 08:11 PM
I was at camp 1 year, and I was shooting at the targets there, well you see the targets were hung up on a thick steel cable by clothes pins. And as I was shooting at the target I hit the cable and the vibrations from the shot hitting the cable knocked all the other targets (like 5 others) off the clothes lines.

The range master was like "WHO EVER DID THIS HAD BETTER NOT DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

He was mad but never found out who did it

LoadedDrum
September 12, 2006, 09:12 PM
It was this Sunday. I was dumping a mag full of Wolf with my AR and thinking I really need a PRI gas buster because the blow back gas was hitting me like a sand storm. As soon as I was done I looked over at one of the guys I was shooting with and he looked at me and tapped his shooting glasses. That is when I realized I had forgot to put mine on.

ndh87
September 12, 2006, 09:29 PM
Not mine, but i was there for it. A few of my friends and i went to the local range for a day of shooting fun, after an hour or so three rather sketchy looking hispanic males show up. one has a 30-30, apparently marlin, and one had an m4 style bushey, or similar weapon. Well, the skinny guy sits down and proceeds to screw the scope onto the cary handle (it was set up for that) and takes two shots. I was watching this all happen, and couldnt help but notice that something about the scope looked...off... it wasnt untill after he fired the first round that i could figure out what it was...THE SCOPE WAS ON BACKWARDS!!!!:banghead: Yes, backwards, and this future darwin award still fired two shots like that before realizing that something was wrong and correcting the problem. My friends and i packed up and left soon after....very soon after...

some people just should stick to being sheep...

Tsonda
September 12, 2006, 09:45 PM
Steamship has to win this one, but here are some.

Go to the range no mags for the FN FAL. Lots of witnesses.

First carbine match, rifle, handgun, ammo mags, gear yep got it all, gas system for the FN FAL at the house. I am engaging targets in a retro grade movement and hand cycling the action until I get to cover and check. I felt like an idiot. Same match shooting a friends ar with an aimpoint. Only my second experience with one, shooting over a truck and of course the RA reminded us of the offset. Guess who shoots the farside truck bed engaging the swinger. We go to tape targets and I hear "hey RO James shot the truck and the target is full of frags" not my best day.

Having Pat Rogers say "partner are you good to go" me "yes Pat" Pat "are you sure" me "yes Pat". Pat "have we covered push pull?" Class "yes Pat" This is when I look and see no mag. My mag is on the deck and I get the second, well you know the name of the award, of the day.

I know there are more but I think this is my top three.

Regards,

James

Zero_DgZ
September 12, 2006, 10:30 PM
Best I ever did was peg the RO right between the eyes with an ejected case. Danged P22 throws those things everywhere. Half of 'em hit me, half of 'em hit the walls of the booth... This one went over my shoulder a good 10 feet and went "tink" right off the RO's glasses.

Shooting skeet with the Mossberg and forgot to put the forearm forward again. I leave it back when I'm wandering around between throws just so it's clearly out of battery. You figure I'd notice my off hand wasn't where it normally was, but I guess not.

Also at the skeet range, got chewed out once for this one: Lent a friend and new shooter of mine the 590 and my other friend was throwing. Three more guys over to the left of me throwing and shooting their own. Everybody's missing and I'm bored, so I load up the 702 (it's got a pretty badass scope on it) and start swatting people's misses out of the sky just a couple of feet off deck... With a 22 carbine.

Apparently the other group doesn't appreciate that they're stinking it up with an expensive Benelli and some fancy looking over-and-under and I'm getting at least 50/50 sitting on my butt in the dirt and shooting clays with a .22.

For what it's worth, I didn't hit spit with the shotgun that day. Danged Polychoke patterns nice, but messes up my sighting.

Colt117
September 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
I was getting some really good training for IPSC and I was practicing this stage with some running invloved. As I ran to the last box, a mag fell out of the holder and hit my knee which totaly broke my concentration. I then had to shoot some steal, which I totally messed up bad. I got majorly unerverd and instead of ejecting the mag and showing clear, I ejected the mag and pulled the trigger. Stupid mistake. It wasn't accidental it was just stupid...

Chuck R.
September 12, 2006, 11:23 PM
Ruette Austria in 1989.

My now father-in-law had taken me to an Austrian Civilian-Army rifle shoot in their small village. He was introducing me to all his cronies (military and civilian) as the “American Army Officer” dating his daughter and how I was into guns and shot competition regularly.

I was then offered the chance to join their shoot and handed a Steyr AUG with which I was completely unfamiliar. Each contestant was given a mag with 15 rounds with which to make his best score on a bull’s-eye target about 200 meters distant.

By this time a small crowd of locales, complete with beer in hand had gathered to “watch the American” shoot. After an Austrian Lieutenant explained the rifle to me in German (during which I nodded a lot, and understood nothing). I proceeded to get into my best prone position, took up a good sight picture, and squeezed the trigger………. too far with what I considered good follow-through, thereby going full auto, and emptying half the mag into the target and above the target.

This resulted in a stern chastising from the Liuetenant, some of which I did understand, and a whole bunch of laughter from the peanut gallery. When every I go back and see some of those guys they still make rifle shooting gestures and laugh about it.

Chuck

LiquidTension
September 13, 2006, 01:05 AM
I left my FAL mags at home one time - really annoyed my friend from out of town that really wanted to shoot it.

At the last group shoot I left my AK mags at home...nobody else had one.

I've left ammo at home. Left a gun at home once, too.

I dropped a gun for the first time while teaching a new shooter the basics. Well, it fell off the table after I put it on something that didn't support the weight. "And see, even if you drop one it won't fire." :rolleyes:

Went to run some plates...*click*...forgot to chamber a round.
Me: "Oh, very nice."
Friend: *laughter*
That one's on video.

The Guy
September 13, 2006, 04:27 AM
My lil sis shot a shotgun, my old 20 gauge BOLT action, for the first time one winter. Dad had put out about ten-twelve cans of various sizes on the ground in front of the cob pile, and told her to aim for the middle and see how many she could knock over. The only thing she had shot before was .22.

Did I mention she happened to be standing on some ice?

BOOM, right back on her a$$. We were so shocked that we didn't even have a chance to laugh. She took it like a trooper though. Dad also found out that day that she knew the F word too.:evil:

For our FFA we planted some trees and bushes at a local cemetery for our BOAC (building our American communities) project my Jr. year. Since I was in charge, I ended up watering them all that summer and the next. One day of watering a couple of buddies drive by, and then stop to b.s. for a bit, then get out some aiguns and procede to shoot some pop cans they have just finished drinking. When they decide they are through, Larry decides to put his CO2 pistol in his pants, in the front.

With his FINGER on the TRIGGER.

POOF!:eek:

His eyes grew to about three times their normal size as he stood there frozen. "Holy s&!*!" Shauwn says, "Didja shoot your dick off?!"

Larry pulls his pistol out REALLLL SLOWWW, then removes his off hand that he used to hold his pants open with. A pellet is lodged in his thumb nail on his left hand. Right up untill he saw that, he thought that maybe he HAD shot his dick off.

That was one lesson learned that NO ONE there ever forgot.

bdutton
September 13, 2006, 01:43 PM
I lent a 1911 ball gun to a fellow shooter (which was lent to me from someone else) and gave my own handloaded ammo for him to shoot a leg match with.

One of my reloads was a double load and it blew out the mag and the wood grip panels in half.

--

Another range story is the squib load I had which remained in the barrel. Like an idiot I proceeded to load another round after it not thinking that the squib might still be in the barrel. The next shot pushed both bullets out the barrel and bulged the barrel. Just 6 days before a big match. $250 later and a quick install of the new bushing and barrel by a gunsmith friend I was able to shoot the match and WIN it!

Flintlock Tom
September 13, 2006, 02:36 PM
I took my newly tricked out Ruger 10/22 to the range, left the key to the cable-lock at home. I worked on the lock for about ten minutes, in the parking lot, with pliers and a hammer before driving home to get the key.

On a weekend trip to the desert to shoot muzzleloaders. I had just inherited my wife's uncle's hand-made Kentucky flintlock rifle. Packed up my Thompson-Center Hawkin and all the shooting gear I own. Got to the desert (two hour drive) and discover that the new flintlock is .45 caliber and ALL my muzzle-loading gear; bullets, balls, molds, jags, etc. are all .50 caliber.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
September 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
Taught a friend how to use the safety on his Mosin, (he didn't even know it had one) and promptly had an ND with my own Mosin while using the safety not two minutes later. No damage done, thanks to the Four Rules, except to my pride.

The safety on the Mosin is a menace to society. I either open or remove the bolt to safe the weapon.

Oh, and to contribute: My brother, who is a Marine, swept me at a range with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. You do NOT want to look a down a barrel that big. Luckily he did not have his finger near the trigger nor was the hammer back. Needless to say I jumped out of the way pretty quick.

atek3
September 13, 2006, 04:05 PM
my garand fell off the bench (it was unloaded, but still)

atek3

xds&gsps
September 13, 2006, 05:29 PM
I've got a couple, one range one hunting,

The first time my Dad & I went to the range (probably 2 years ago or so) we were shooting various guns & I offered my SA XD9 for him to shoot. I didn't realize he had never shot a semi auto handgun, only revolvers (he is an old country boy) I didn't realize his grip until after he had shot, his off hand (right hand for him) was too high on the back & the slide came back & ripped some skin off the top of his hand. I wasn't embarrased for him just felt bad that i hadn't taught him better, I showed him a better grip & he finished the mag off. He prefers his revolvers still.

Last year I took my son out for his first duck hunting trips, we were pass shooting off a dike with birds flying overhead I had just shot 2 rounds (missing with both) when my son yells "Dad Dad there's another one I was 1/2 sitting off balance on my bucket as the bird flew straight overhead I brought my gun up (the bird was almost directly above me now) & pulled the trigger, I fell off my bucket right on my butt, my son always remembers this story especially at large family gatherings.

brolin_1911a1
September 13, 2006, 08:16 PM
About two summers back, a shooting buddy from out of state came down for my son's wedding. While my buddy was in the area, we of course had to go to the free state shooting range nearby and shoot all the guns he and I had aquired since we'd last seen each other.

After blasting away with his Ruger P89 and my FIE PJK-9HP, I ask if he'd like to shoot my Glock 22. Sure! He empties the loaded mag and goes back to the 9mm.

I think I've not shot that Glock for quite awhile and head over to the bench with all of the guns and ammo and reload the mag. I take aim at the 1-liter bottle hanging from the strings that serve as target holders 50yds downrange and squeeze off a round. Dirt kicks up on the backstop berm about six feet above the target. I think I can't be THAT bad and squeeze the trigger again. Nothing. I work the slide and chamber another round and V-E-R-Y carefully squeeze off a shot. Hit the dirt about five yards in front of the target. Try again. Nothing. Work the slide manually and chamber a new round. Bang! Hits about six feet to the left and about 4 feet high. Again, it doesn't cycle the action so I do it manually.

It was about that time that I realized that the bullets in the magazine were pointed, almost conical shaped and I thought, "aren't my .40 caliber bullets truncated cones?" Sure enough, I'd loaded it with 9mm ammo. Had several beer mug-shaped empties lying on the ground. To make matters worse, the entire incident was witnessed by a competing CCW instructor to his intense amusement and my red-faced shame.

sm
September 13, 2006, 08:44 PM
Breath
Relax
Aim
Scrunch
Squeeze

I am not going to argue with a Kid, that read Col. Cooper, That Roger's GuyI'm in trouble I know In S.W.A.T. and is Pretty sure that Denny guy, what his name always messing with S.W.A.T.....said that is how your are supposed to shoot well with a rifle.

Cute as a button little lady, when she shoots that single shot .22 rifle, she has this "scrunch" she does, with nose and all.

"Mindset, I am going to shoot the sucker like I mean it" -Young lady

So...I had made the comment about when one is just shooting is one thing. Having to shoot after walking, running, and all, huffing and puffing, getting settled on target is more difficult.

Never said I was smart now did I?

"Race you to the cars and back then we shoot...".

Scrunch is the correct word, trust me on this.

;)

SigfanUSAF
September 13, 2006, 09:08 PM
I was plinking with my M1 carbine one beautiful summer day in downeast Maine. I was there with my dad, and some of his friends. One of which included the Washington County Sherrifs qualifications officer. I was "showing off", rapid fire into a target about 15 yards away, tactical reloads, etc. Yes, I said tactical and M1 carbine in the same sentance:) So they are all watching as I insert another 15 rounder in her, with one leftover in the chamber. I fire one shot, and the damn mag drops out:eek: What makes it worse, is upon hearing the click, I pulled back the operating handle and tried to fire again. Quite a chuckle, I assure you.

Stevie-Ray
September 13, 2006, 09:22 PM
A few years back I knew I was going to the range the next day to keep current with my CCWs, so I decided to take my pet Mark IV also. I needed some high-quality ammo for this so I went upstairs to reload. 150 rounds of 185gr LSWC later I came back down in high spirits. This was one trip to the range I was really looking forward to, as I hadn't shot the Colt in years. I packed everything up the next day and headed off to the range. As I opened the case for my second CCW, the guy next to me noticed the Mark IV. "Whoa, nice piece!" he said, "Mind if I have a look?" "Sure," I said, and proudly handed it over. He asked about the add-ons, and I recited the work I had done on it and the gun's capabilities. "Could I possibly try a few shots with this when you load it up?" he asked. "But of course," I replied arrogantly, dreaming that everybody that is anybody wants to shoot this gun. After all, it's one of life's greatest pleasures, right?
Welp, the time finally comes to bring out the Colt. I start foraging through the range bag for the magazines when It suddenly occurs to me that I don't remember packing them. Panicked now, I am furiously tearing the bag apart. Yup, the ammo that I spent last night preparing was there, but no mags for the Mark. I could puke.
"You gonna shoot that compgun, now?"
"Uh, no I decided not to."
"Augh you're kiddin, why not?"
I tried to duck and cover for a couple seconds, but he had seen me going through the bag, and I thought for one terrifying moment he was going to even ask me if I needed help. I decided to bite the bullet.
"Because I didn't pack the damn magazines!"

He looked at me as if I had just farted in church.

jhco50
September 24, 2006, 01:12 AM
I saw this the other night and I am just commenting now. I did the same thing and recently. I have been shooting for over 30 years and I still pulled this stunt. Now I am saving to send my Ruger Vaquero 45lc back to the factory for a new barrel...Yes, I buldged it.:(
=========================================
"Another range story is the squib load I had which remained in the barrel. Like an idiot I proceeded to load another round after it not thinking that the squib might still be in the barrel. The next shot pushed both bullets out the barrel and bulged the barrel. Just 6 days before a big match. $250 later and a quick install of the new bushing and barrel by a gunsmith friend I was able to shoot the match and WIN it!

kd7nqb
September 24, 2006, 02:45 AM
So, my buddy had just bought a new S&W model 910 in 9mm. He had only been shooting for about a week so he asked me to go with him. We go and I put him to shame first with a couple of range guns then with his own. Not honestly this was not a big ego boost for me but I turn to start packing up on the other lane and I hear him scream O ****. Turns out he wanted to get a better grouping then I so he pulled the target about 8in from the bench and rapid fired 5rounds. Somewhere in there the muzzle flash caught the paper on fire. He decided to be done.

RustyShackelford
September 24, 2006, 03:11 AM
A long long time ago while I was in USFK(what some call South Korea, ;) ) an MP in my platoon(who I'll call; BL) loaded his M-16a1 5.56mmNATO with 30 rounds of military tracer. Our platoon SGT told us to fire up these training rounds so BL clicked his M-16 on full auto and aimed at a target about 25yds away. The red tracers hit the paper target and target stand bursting into flames! :uhoh: .

We yelled cease fire and put out the target stand. We all had a good laugh and went back to shooting(not using full mags of tracer rounds, ;) ).

Rusty

kevin davis
September 24, 2006, 02:15 PM
I have a Saiga .223 and 7.62x39 semiauto rifle. Since I often get up in the dark to go to the range, I took the .223 to shoot but could not fit the magazine in once I got there. I had taken the 7.62 magazines and could not shoot a round. I have since painted a white spot on the 7.62 and ringed the magazines in white so I do not have to look hard early in the morning. Another time I accidentally nudged my .30-06 with a foot and it fell over, scarring the scope badly. I tried it out and it was now shooting 9"to the right. I sent the scope back to Nikon and they fixed it for Free but I had already put a new scope on the rifle.

hqmhqm
September 24, 2006, 02:59 PM
I had been waiting all week to take my eight year old daughter shooting, we drove out to the range with my daughter, and I had forgot the keys to the gate.

SuperiorMarksman_18
September 24, 2006, 03:07 PM
When I was 11 years old, my dad and I went to the Eastern Shore to do some shooting. Well, as we were plinking, I asked him if I could shoot the Mossberg 12 guage pump. Bad idea! I tried firing from the hip and the gun literally shot out of my hands into some mud. My dad was pissed!

XD Fan
September 24, 2006, 11:22 PM
I dropped a Taurus .22 last weekend

Rem700SD
September 25, 2006, 12:55 AM
I had just started getting back into reloading, and had some 300WM reloads at the range. I aimed carefully, pulled the trigger, and CLICK! On one of the rounds I apparently forgot the powder! Having used magnum primers, I drove the 220gr. HPBT a good inch into the barrel. I ruined an expensive cleaning rod getting it out!

Dan

akodo
September 25, 2006, 12:57 AM
the Makarov does NOT have a spring on the firing pin. If you hit the slide release on a charged magazine, you run a serious risk of an inertial fire."

let me get this straight, insert full mag, release slide to chamber a round, and the gun may fire, no trigger pull necessary?

I've fired a friend's makarov, and he never mentioned this to me, I bet he doesn't know.

How likely of an event is this?

jeepmor
September 25, 2006, 02:00 AM
So we're camping and I brought my coyote hunting gear since we were in the woods. I mention the my brother in law that I brought two rifles and we should see if we can call some coyotes in the Pine Grove, Oregon area. Well, the girls are all excited that we have firearms and want to give it a try....translation, no coyote hunting this trip.

We find a safe place to shoot, with a great view to boot, up on a ridge and I proceed to walk one of the gals through safe shooting practice. Always point safe direction, finger off the trigger, muzzle down, always loaded mentality, the regular stuff. I then state, this gun is loud, we did not bring a enough earplugs for everyone, I'm going to stand 20 yards back with the other two and watch while we plug our ears. She takes one shot, muzzle climbs about 1foot and twists hard to the right, startling her pretty good.

She then turns right around, finger on the trigger and sweeps us all with the muzzle. We all nearly dive for cover, of which there was none. She ignored every rule we had just discussed not one minute earlier. She only shot 2 more shots and I made sure to stand right behind after that so I could coach her more quickly and keep everyone safe.

Found a good spot to call coyotes, but the adolescent yet fun, driving habits of the other girl in the party, and our shooting, made sure that any dog within 2 miles was well aware of our presence. But hey, her car was a rental, and she treated it as such. However this same person seemed at odds with why we weren't seeing any game animals since we were so far from the highway....duh.

jeepmor

GungHo
September 25, 2006, 04:02 PM
Shot the wrong target during a service rifle match... Would have been a perfect score. I never shot that well before (or since) in my life.

:cuss:

I've also shot a wood post that was holding the target lines with my .44 when some guy the next lane decided to go all out with a SW .500. I was concentrating hard, and he was shooting with a Ruger .22 a short bit before, so I had no idea it was coming. I thumbed the hammer, steadied, and then squee...

*KACHOOOOOOONG* :what:

It didn't help that he was standing a little farther back from the line than he should have, and therefore the muzzlebrake "ports" were almost even with my FACE. Those side boards don't do diddly. It also didn't help that the wood post was rotted and should have been replaced long ago. I killt it dead. I apologized to the range officer. He didn't look like he'd miss it. The RO did ask the guy to step up to the line.

hatch27
September 27, 2006, 02:02 PM
yeah go to the range with a double twelve guage. girls in the range next to me, so i try to show off, do the quick fire from the hip both barrels at once. I heard KABOOM and found my ass setting of the ground barrel pointed to the sky.

Bart Noir
September 27, 2006, 06:55 PM
the Makarov does NOT have a spring on the firing pin. If you hit the slide release on a charged magazine, you run a serious risk of an inertial fire.

Not sure I understand. How is this any different from the slide going forward each and every time it fires and loads another round into the barrel?

Bart Noir

Ed Ames
September 27, 2006, 07:16 PM
The real issue is that the firing pin has no trigger interlock, spring, or anything else holding the pin away from the primer. It just slides around in it's channel. This isn't so much an issue when you drop the slide as if you dropped the whole gun. However, Makarovs can pass the California drop test successfully (they are approved for sale in California even) which means the "lab" couldn't get one to go off slamming it into a anvil a few times. The designer thought the firing pin was light enough that it couldn't set off a primer no matter how hard you dropped it, which is why there is no spring.

Spinner
September 27, 2006, 07:25 PM
If, however, the firing pin is not entirely free to move in its channel ... maybe a little gunked up with crud .... then when you drop the slide on a live round the firing pin may hit the primer and things can then get very exciting for a short time. :what:

Spinner

Ed Ames
September 27, 2006, 07:32 PM
Yep, that can be a problem. There are quite a few semi-auto .22LRs that suffer the same issue... if the head of the firing pin gets peened (e.g. from dry-firing) it can remain extended and leave you with an open-bolt machine pistol that uses the slide release as the trigger.

Of course, that has nothing to do with the presence of a return spring on the firing pin... if the pin is jammed out (or something else is jammed into the firing pin hole and extends far enough to hit the primer) you'll have a problem even if there is a return spring, trigger interlock, etc....

The Deer Hunter
September 27, 2006, 07:40 PM
I left a paper towel in my shotgun barrel because i dont like the solvent running down my barrel after i clean it. And i forgot about it. First shot there was a big cloud of white stuff. We all had a good laugh and continued on.

Flopsy
September 28, 2006, 12:58 AM
First time I fired my 12 gauge, in an indoor range, I forgot to put on the earmuffs before I fired. Afterwards I actually asked out loud, "Geeze, what is that ringing sound??" For a solid 10 seconds I thought I set off some alarm, before I realized that it was actually the loudest ringing in my ears I had ever heard.

Aries-
November 22, 2006, 01:40 PM
done the forgetting ammo, clips, even guns. royal pain lol.

this one is about a cadet at the local military base (base bordon in ontario)
me and my dad went there to shoot (they had an open day) my dad packed his flintlock Hawken rifle. of course all the cadets wanted to try it.
he loads it up and lets them each have a go at it (while i help them shooting the AR15 he has) i look over at one as he is about to fire (my dad was talking to the RO at the time) i open my mouth to tell the kid to "STOP!" its to late. he lets it off sets the rifle down and turns around with no eyebrows and FFFF stuck in his forhead. its a right handed rifle he shot left handed. his friends got a good laugh lol.
my dad put the flintlock away after that.

Texas9
November 22, 2006, 01:54 PM
Good one, Aries! I can see that poor guy sans brows. :D

Mine was pretty recent. Haven't shot my 92 in awhile. Me and the wife take a day to go to the range, since she hasn't shot it in ages. All's going well, but I just can't figure out why the h*** I'm not getting slidelock on an empty magazine! I've got three different boxes of ammo, so I try five rounds from each, and there's no consistency there at all.

Long story short (and a huge friggin question mark as to why SHE's getting slidelock every time), I get down to the last few rounds of the day when I realize: I shifted my grip from the usual because it seemed more comfortable. Apparently, that little lever on the left, just above where my right thumb NORMALLY rests, is NOT a comfort post. It's a slide release:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ZeSpectre
November 22, 2006, 02:42 PM
Sigh, least to worst...

-Arrive at range, can't find the key for the lock on my ammo box.
-Left red-dot sight on after checking at home. Nobody else at range has same model/batteries.
-Perfect run, right in the zone, somehow I hit the mag release right in the middle of it and drop the mag. To add insult to injury the mag just sproings apart throwing bits and ammo all over.
-Trying to be helpful/safe I see a guy on the range with no ear protection. I walk over and say something and he ignores me. Makes me a little mad so I tap him on the shoulder and yell that he needs to get his "ears" on. Well as it turns out the guy is actually completely deaf :banghead: .

K3
November 22, 2006, 02:49 PM
Not at the range, but I had a nice (for West Texas) 8 point in my sights at 125 yards. Spent half an hour getting into position to shoot.

Click.

Buck leaves out. My brother laughs his arse off.

Works better when a round is chambered.

:o

RyanM
December 12, 2006, 01:39 AM
Think I'll bump this one because something happened today. The local range has a firing line that you have to walk maybe 20 feet to get around to change targets, etc. I usually just duck under it. Today, I ducked under, and the seat of my pants ripped. Spectacularly. About a foot long tear. Fortunately, it was just me and my dad shooting. I ended up staying, with my jacket tied around my waist to hide my butt. If anyone else had been there, it probably would have been pretty embarassing.

Mat, not doormat
December 12, 2006, 07:03 AM
At a cowboy shoot: Before the main match, just got done running hot on the speed rifle side match with my '66. Decided to go back around with a borrowed marlin, one that a buddy had been talking up all day. Loaded up w/ ten rounds, double checked the safety. was called to the line. Placed rifle on table, dried hands on pants, picked up the rifle, port arms, ready, beep: clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick. I'd knocked the safety back on when I set it on the table. Dumped ten live ones on the deck.

~~~Mat

Big Calhoun
December 12, 2006, 02:48 PM
- Brass inbetween the face and eye glasses. Was a frequent noob occurence when I first started shooting. Now I wear baseball caps to prevent.

- All time favorite: Watched a new female shooter put a couple in the cieling. Her boyfriend/husband/babies daddy/whatever was showing her how to shoot. I'm assuming it was a .45 by the look of the gun and the report upon firing. Anyway, he explains a few things and she nervously lets off a round. I surmise that the recoil was too much and she didn't have a proper grip. As the gun recoiled, her hands pushed upwards, as she delivered 3 more shots to the cieling. Range is cold, everyone stops, I'm shaking my head, the lady is crying, and her friend is getting barked out by the RO. Taught me an important lesson: WHen teaching new shooters, only load one round at a time.

- Ear protection off when it shouldn't have been. Call it a quick lapse in memory, but I left the handgun bays, removed my ear mufs, and exited through the rifle/shotgun bays. Half way through there, BOOOM!!!!! and some ringing for the next 45 minutes. Now I don't remove ears and eye until I'm at the counter ringing out.

- Checking out the retail section of a store, when a 'crew' walks in. They're perusing the new handguns and rifles. I ignore a couple of "yeah, I'm getting this gat" and "yeah, we'll use this on dog". The workers seem to get a little sketchy and start asking if they can help them, to which they say no but become louder and more boisterous. At this time, one of the owners comes out and talks to the lead 'dog'. 10 minute conversation, the lead gets the crew together, and then they leave. So I was BSing with one of the counter jockeys and asked what happened. APparently he gave them a choice of leaving the store and coming back when they would be more respectful, or staying in the store and being accompanied by the police which was in that night for finger-printing for CCWs. I like my range...%99.99999999 thug free.

fiber optic
December 12, 2006, 03:48 PM
My wife shot my Springfield 1911 for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend. She got ready standing a good 20 yards away from the milkjugs I'd set up earlier. I said, "You won't be able to hit it at this distance." Famous last words for sure.

Also the local indoor range typically hangs a lightweight chain from the paper targets, I'm guessing to keep the paper from fluttering. I've shot off so many of those chains it's not even funny.

51Cards
December 12, 2006, 04:04 PM
Ha! They do that to us, now and then! :D

My ex-girlfriend and I were upstate once, I said, "Here, try this Winchester." It's a Model 71, in .348. I have guns smaller than those cartridges. I told her to aim for a sapling about 30 yards away.

She says, "I don't know about this." Levers a shell in.

Cuts the sapling in half.

I guess she maybe did know about that :D

Caimlas
December 12, 2006, 05:18 PM
I've got a USP .40 which has been malfunctioning. However, when it started to do so, I was at an indoor range. What would happen is this: last and second to last round in the magazine would result in the magazine dropping free on its on volition on recoil, usually on the floor. Second time it happened it bounced out into the lanes further than I was able to safely/comfortably reach, and I had to call a range master to retrieve it.

mikedavis120
December 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
12 years old first time shooting a large caliber pistol, a desert eagle .500 and i was so sure it wasn't nothin'... My friends dad laughed and said good luck.. at that i proceded to tap tap... on accident, I meant for one shot but the first shot made me smack my own forehead with the gun while the second shot when directly into the lighting. i put it down and said no next time he asked if i wanted to try it. Wait till i'm older thanks.. Never did that agian and since have became very proficient...

Guns are better than prozac.. btw

FireArmFan
December 13, 2006, 01:39 AM
4 years ago was my brothers first year hunting and he was going to be hunting with my dad so my dad decided rather than lugging around his rifle, he would borrow a revolver to carry since he was going to let my brother take the shot anyways. a few weeks before the season opened, we were shooting all our guns to make sure everything was shooting right. my brother was pretty small at the time (just barely 12 and small for his age) i shot the revolver a few times and then my dad let my brother try it. Don't remember who the manufacturer was but it was a rather large revolver in 45-70, had a small scope on it. my brother pulled the trigger and the recoil caused the gun to flip completely out of his hands and fall on the ground. we were at my cabin so their was no one other than us to laugh about it plus it landed on grass so it wasnt damaged.

evan price
December 14, 2006, 06:51 AM
Not really embarassing, more interesting. Lately we have been getting a lot of junk mail from a computer that truncates names that are longer than it's allowed to print.

My wife is wondering why my guns are getting mail for themselves now, we get stuff addressed to "KIMBER PRICE" (Her name is KIMBERly)

silascobb
December 14, 2006, 01:06 PM
Got an Enfield that is malfunctioning where the sear is not engaging the bolt/cocking piece, so upon cycling the action the bolt is not cocked.

Well I was trying to figure out why it wasn't cocking, so I pull back on the cocking piece lever trying to get it cock. My fingers slipped on the cocking piece, and it flew forward. Since the sear wasn't up high enough, the Enfield discharged without any trigger manipulation, nor my hands really on the stock.

Good thing it was pointed downrange (as they always are when I am messing with them).

CannonFodder
December 14, 2006, 06:25 PM
I went to a range with some buddies. They were cool, but the range was lame. I was rather embarrassed that I hadn't tried harder to convince them to come to my range instead. ;)

squinty
April 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
Not sure I want to repeat this...for my concealed carry qualification I was so nervous I neglected to take hearing protection into the range....and DIDN'T notice until I had fired almost 50 rounds. There were 8 other people qualifying with me. No one noticed, I didn't mention it to anybody. Still have some tinnitus.

Winter Borne
April 21, 2007, 02:43 PM
My best friend Joe bought me a 10/22 for my 18th birthday. My very first gun! Such a friend. Now please bear in mind this is a lifetime ago. We took it to an indoor range with his two guns andhad a blast shooting all morning.

The range rented handguns too so I decided to rent a Beretta 92 and bought 100 rounds of 9mm. The range master must have suspected my apprehension becouse he asked twice if I had ever shot a handgun before. I of course said,"sure...lots of times." He then went on to remind me to keep the web of my hand clear of the slide...Well you can guess the rest. Three rounds later I'm back with a bloody right hand and a stupid look on my face.

He was very cool and after getting me some gauze and tape he spent about 40 min with me with and the rest of my ammo. Just thinking about it now some 20 plus years later I feel the old Dohhh!

mk

WinchesterAA
April 21, 2007, 02:50 PM
I rented a thompson SMG from a firing range a while ago. Never held one much less fired one, but I figured it out pretty quickly. Went to the line and dumped 150rds of .45ACP at lightning quick speed with a grin the size of Texas the entire time (and for the next couple of days too!)

anyway, I took the firearm back to the owner of the place with the bolt open (IE ready to fire)

safety on, everything seemed good to go AFAICT.

Not so, guy looks at me funny as I walk up to him, then he quickly checks the chamber and low and behold, I only shot 149rds. Got a nice reeming for that little mishap, but it was just the right amount of a reeming to make me check the chamber every time several times just to make sure, but not lose any interest in that firing range.

FIFTYGUY
May 21, 2007, 10:49 AM
For the record, I've left safeties on/tried to fire unloaded guns/had guns blow up/left critical parts at home/shot over or through backstops/damaged range equipment. More times than I can remember. Considering how infrequently I go shooting, this may be a bad sign... :uhoh:

Only incident worth describing was the time I *left* a round of ammo at the range:

Ever leave on a trip, only to have the sickening feeling that you left the stove/iron/faucet on?
Well, I was in bed the night after a Sunday at the outdoor range, and realized I might have not picked up a dud round that I couldn't get to light off. I got out of bed, checked the range bags and cans, and couldn't find it. I didn't sleep well that night.

I had to get up an hour and a half early Monday morning to drive out to the range and back before I had to go to work (in the opposite direction). :banghead: Just as I had feared, the dud was still sitting there on the bench where I knew I had left it.

"What's the big deal?" Well, I was shooting 20mm Vulcan from my rifle, and I was using empty High-Explosive Incendary projos, complete with inert fuzes. With my luck, one of the other range members would have called the bomb squad to dispose of the thing (especially a round with a dented primer but full of powder). Not good... :eek:

jcoiii
May 22, 2007, 03:29 PM
Last week I was doing the yearly qualifying. We had already shot our duty gun course, and I was shooting my off-duty course. My duty gun is a Glock 22, .40cal. My off duty gun is an XD .45 (:D). I stock a pocket with ammo for the course so I don't have to carry the box. I had managed to leave a single .40 round down in the pocket and then dumped 25 rounds of .45 in that pocket. Well, I was loading my mags for the course and managed to get that .40 round in a magazine. (We're supposed to load magazines without looking, always look at your target, etc, and I was chatting with the RO as well.)

Sure enough, I get to the first stage. bang bang bang bang b.... click. Looks like a FTE so I tap and rack. Nope, still in there. Strip the mag and rack. Nope. Do a field strip and pry the casing loose. And that's when I notice that the casing says 40 s & w. DOH! When the RO started giving me new meanings for the XD, I just told him it stood for "extra dumb"

JMusic
May 22, 2007, 03:49 PM
College championship match, PPC course. Perfect score was a a 300. I and a friend of mine were both expected to win the match since we commonly shot 300 on this course. Deciding factor would be time. Lined up on the 3 yrd line (We were shooting a reduced distance course since it only went out to 25 yds) 12 shots 25 seconds no speed loaders allowed. Ready on the right, ready on the left, ready on the firing line. Fire! Drew my revolver and threw it right through the target. Landed barrel first in the ground and stuck there. I'm looking at my second place trophy as I type this.:D

Jim

Mr White
May 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
College championship match, PPC course. Perfect score was a a 300. I and a friend of mine were both expected to win the match since we commonly shot 300 on this course. Deciding factor would be time. Lined up on the 3 yrd line (We were shooting a reduced distance course since it only went out to 25 yds) 12 shots 25 seconds no speed loaders allowed. Ready on the right, ready on the left, ready on the firing line. Fire! Drew my revolver and threw it right through the target. Landed barrel first in the ground and stuck there. I'm looking at my second place trophy as I type this.

Jim
Damn, Jim! Besides your friend, the other shooters must have REALLY sucked if you took second by throwing your gun through the target!

BGlaze250
May 22, 2007, 04:40 PM
My story is simply pure ignorance, but it was embarrising, never-the-less.

When I turned 18, I bought a little 10/22 and took it to the range. I had never really fired a firearm before, but I knew the drill and the rules, as I assumed that I would be fire. I loaded up the included mag and began to fire away. Twenty rounds later, I checked out my target, and the bullet holes were fairly consistent, but they were all higher than what I had been aiming for. I kept on shooting, and it kept on happening. Finally, the guy on the bench to my left motioned to me and told me about the 10/22's flip-up back sight. I had no idea that the sight operated so, but once I figured it out, I was fine. :)

JMusic
May 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
Mr. White two thirds of the class didn't fire. I got a 15 second penalty and we shot again. The class was a mix of people (18-20 year olds for the most part) that ranged from never fired a weapon to people who had served several stays in Nam. It didn't take much to distract some of them. Range officer blew the whistle as soon as I finished the horse shoe toss. He said it was for safety concerns, while he was wiping tears out of his eyes.:p

Jim

Turkey Creek
May 22, 2007, 06:08 PM
Maybe not embarresing but just one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time, or I just couldn't resist moments"- Shooting in an ARA sanctiond match and actually doing pretty well for me- I take a bead on one of the 25 bulls on the target and low and behold a fly is wandering around on that particular bull- yup, blasted the heck out of the fly and got a zero on the bull-

TonyStarks
May 22, 2007, 06:19 PM
Maybe not that bad but it was for embarrassing for me!
At the local range one day, My brother had bought a brand new Springfield XD-9sc so im telling how to use it and how to shoot it...like im the know it all expert. So i go to take the first shot and i blow the frame that holds the target off the string which slides it back and forth. I turned red and felt like an Dumb#@$ when everyone turned my way. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Most embarrassing range moments?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!