Drool time

PDA

dev_null
July 9, 2006, 11:33 AM
Friend of mine is executor for her ex's estate since her (their) daughter is sole heir. Yesterday she wanted me to take a look at a couple of rifles he'd had to see whether they were NFA or not, or in her words, if they were machine guns. None of them were, but here's what she had -- this is aside from various shotguns, hunting rifles, and pistols:

- AR15-style, made by E. A Co. (who?)

- AR180, made by Sterling

And, get ready...

- A gorgeous H&R Garand in pristine condition. With a web belt full of loaded clips. The light wasn't good enough for me to look for s/n or date (is the date printed on Garands?), or to check the bore, but it looked practically unfired.

Naturally, I told her that if she wanted to get rid of the Garand...

And naturally, she told me there was a looooong line of people ahead of me.

Can't blame a guy for trying.

If you enjoyed reading about "Drool time" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
July 9, 2006, 12:04 PM
E.A. =? Eagle Arms?

There will be a serial number on the receiver on the M1. Being an HRA it will be Korean War vintage produced between 1952 (1953)and 1956. If the rifle is a "Collector" grade HRA M1 rifle it could be worth well over $1,000 and as much as $3,000 or more. It should be photographed and the images sent to PeeWee at the CMP North Store. Ask if there's any way to get a data sheet made up and a condition evaluation made.

Considering it's an estate sale on behalf of a minor child and probably valuable to a collector it would be a sin for the gun to be sold to someone that wasn't a good friend of the owner for far less than it would be worth. Strangers don't get a price break and "buddies" should just be happy to get ahead of strangers for the opportunity to pay what it's worth.

If you enjoyed reading about "Drool time" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!