AR-180B? When did the retail price hit $750?

PDA

LexusNexus
July 9, 2006, 04:52 PM
Last I checked it was a $600-650 rifle and now the MSRP says $750 (wasn't it selling for $500 when first introduced?). That puts it just about same price as other AR15. Does it still have appeal when it costs same as a standard AR?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-180B? When did the retail price hit $750?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Grand Inquisitor
July 9, 2006, 06:48 PM
I paid around $550 for mine 2 or so years ago and traded it for about $450 towards a TANTAL a few months ago.

For as much as I liked the little rifle, I think it had some basic flaws that would prevent it from being an extremely reliable rifle in adverse conditions. Also, after-market parts are either non-existant or very expensive. Because of the built in dove-tail scope mount, if you want to use anything besides the Arma-Lite scope, you have to buy a mount conversion. Also, ACE makes a nice folding stock, but because they're the only one making a folder, it runs for $200 and up.

With that being said, the rifle was a dream to shoot and it was a very nice rifle to use to introduce smaller framed people to shooting; the rifle was very light and had little recoil and the ergonomics were very good straight-forward.

telomerase
July 9, 2006, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of inflation. There's a reason the Fed just stopped publishing the M3 figures.

Mannlicher
July 9, 2006, 09:40 PM
MSRP means nothing. Street price is all that is valid. Around here, the street price on a 180B is around $600.
I bought mine a few years back, for $625. I have found it to be a reliable, accurate rifle. That there are fewer accessories means nothing to me. I bought it as a no frills social service rifle. It fills that requirment just as it is.

modifiedbrowning
July 9, 2006, 10:37 PM
Aftermarket stuff
www.stormwerkz.com
www.midwestindustriesinc.com

Dienekes
July 10, 2006, 12:32 AM
Nice little guns, but I just picked up a basic CAR-15, just about a ringer for the Canadian C8 carbine. I used the M16 in the service, had a CAR for a while in the 80s, and opted for another. Just felt that the AR was more of a known quantity and better sealed against dirt and crud.

Sure do like the idea of the tappet action, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-180B? When did the retail price hit $750?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!