Century Int'l Arms FAL R1A1?

PDA

shllyshny
July 10, 2006, 04:55 PM
Have never had the chance to shoot one. Are they good? Bad? How is accuracy? Do they like SA ammo? Whats a good price to pay for a new one?

Thanks for any and all help,
shllyshny

If you enjoyed reading about "Century Int'l Arms FAL R1A1?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gunshack
July 10, 2006, 06:43 PM
I have no first hand experience with a Century FAL, but I've been reading about them on the net for years.

If I'm not mistaken the R1A1 is kit rifle built on a Century brand receiver. I'm not certain about this because I know Century also built rifles using Imbel receivers, and I don't know if they are given the same designation. The Imbel is by far the better quality of the two.

It is common to hear about Century receivers that have feeding problems. This is usually attributable to what's known as the "uni-brow." Most FAL receivers have two distinct feeding ramps to guide cartridges from the mag to the chamber. To save on machining time Century cut only one ramp. Another common problem that Imbel receivers can't escape is barrel timing. I don't know how many forum threads I've read about Century FALs shooting to the left with the sight adjustment maxed out.

That's not to say all Century FALs are bad, but problems are common.

longhorngunman
July 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
They can be hit or miss. Do not buy one unless you are given a chance to shoot it first and run a couple mags through it, or if it's a gun dealer he will take it back and refund your money if it doesn't work. I got one of the last ones that have a new barrel a few months ago as a present to my father. The first one I ordered from SOG and the dealer sent it right back to them. He said it was full of rust and the bolt wouldn't charge back. I nearly gave up hope at finding one until I found one more dealer who had them. This one was excellent with a decent park job. I've shot a 3moa group before and usually does 4moa at 100yards with just the iron sights. Which means it probably is a 2moa gun in the hands of a capable shooter:D . Check out www.falfiles.com for lots of FAL info. If recievers ever show up again it would be economical to just build one.

Mr Kablammo
July 10, 2006, 07:46 PM
In my opinion save or borrow and go for the DSA STG Austrian.

Flatfender
July 10, 2006, 09:41 PM
I have a couple of Century R1A1s, both built on Imbel recievers and Aussie kits. Both are metric and both run fine. I had a couple of mags that refused to feed properly in either rifle. Soon as I weeded those mags out, the R1s run 100%. The "Angry Beavers" (tm) must have been sober that day. :p

I've heard to stay away from Century recievers. Out of spec and hard to get to run right. The "Angry Beavers" (tm) who build the guns at Century are pretty much hit and miss with their work.

Imbel recievers are no longer imported and the prices are headed up and if you're gonna build one now or in the future, you'd better grab one or more.

If I was gonna buy Fals now, I'd go with DSAs or find a (no longer made) Bushmaster AR10s in .308

shllyshny
July 10, 2006, 10:11 PM
I appreciate the information, folks. Amazing what you can learn when you ask people with first hand experience.

Shllyshny

modifiedbrowning
July 10, 2006, 10:19 PM
I have a Century Fal built on an Imbel receiver that runs great. I did buy it used however, so I don't what the previous owner had to do (if anything) to get it to run.

wayne in boca
July 11, 2006, 06:11 AM
I have a Century with the dread "unibrow" feed ramp.It would not feed off the right side of the magazine when I first got it.After polishing the feed ramp did no good,I took it to a smith who resloped the ramp and now it is one of my favorite rifles.It will shoot about 2.5-3 MOA vs. my DSA STG 58 at 2 MOA.

Coronach
July 11, 2006, 11:22 AM
The consensus seems to be that if you're a tinkerer and don't mind fiddling with the gun a little (or a lot), Century guns can be made to run.

If you're looking for somthing that will go bang and hit paper every time, right out of the box, they're probably not the way to go.

Also, DSA has a lifetime warranty, that applies even to their "low end" kit guns. If something is wrong, they will fix it. Period.

Mike

chrisTx
July 11, 2006, 01:32 PM
i have a century built R1A1 on what i think are south african parts and a new barrel. i've never seen it jam, and i can feed it pure junk food all day. it's at least as accurate as my AR15.

Dave Markowitz
July 11, 2006, 09:11 PM
I have a Century R1A1 built on a South African or Rhodesian parts kit and one of their receivers.

HOWEVER, before I took it to the range I had to send it back to Century. The hole through which the gas piston passes was bored off center, causing the piston to bind. I RMAed it to Century, who hogged out the hole a bit, and now it runs. After getting it back I ran about 100 rounds through it w/o any malfs.

So, it appears that I now have a reliable rifle but it was non-functional when I first got it.

Century FALs are hit-or-miss.

If you enjoyed reading about "Century Int'l Arms FAL R1A1?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!