Got to shoot a Mark-14 m1a ! WOW!

PDA

possum
July 10, 2006, 06:48 PM
During the trip to the range i got to shoot an aquantances mark 14 m1a scout model that he had converted, i shot only 20rds through it but i was standing and talk about musle faliure!:what: It was fun but, man that thing is heavy. I still think i like the full size standard and loaded models better though!

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to shoot a Mark-14 m1a ! WOW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lebben-B
July 11, 2006, 07:06 AM
i shot only 20rds through it but i was standing and talk about musle faliure!
Sounds like somebody needs to do more push-ups at PT.:D

J/K
Mike

possum
July 11, 2006, 07:30 AM
Sounds like somebody needs to do more push-ups at PT.

Yeah, i have been pretty slack lately!:)

MJ
July 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/6942fcdd.jpg

Lift a few of these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/7bc836a6.jpg

Wish I had this scope in 68' but you did not want to show your self in any case to an M-14 under 350 yards if you are the bad guys.

:cool:
MJ

vta33
July 11, 2006, 11:59 AM
Beautiful rifle MJ. Every time I see an M14 it brings back memories.

Peace time Korea, October 1962, 1st Battle Group of the 5th Cav, 1st Cav Division.

My infantry company turned in the Garand M1 rifles and were issued M14s. We immediately took to the M14. It was lighter when unloaded and slightly heavier with a full magazine that held more rounds than the M1. The M14 was similar in design to the Garand and the learning curve for disassembly and cleaning was real short.

The M14 replaced the M1 and the heavy Browning Automatic Rifle, which no one missed. It was good riddance to the BAR.

The company armorer could change the rifle to fully automatic. Tho, most of them were issued as semi-autos. The 7.62 round replaced the 30-06 round but we didn't feel that this was a step down in its effectiveness.

Recoil wasn't a problem for a skinny 17 year-old. I really enjoyed firing it. So did the other soldiers in my company. Sadly, arthritis now takes away some of the fun of firing a rifle with "that" much recoil. (sigh)

One of these days I might buy one. In the meantime I'll savor the fond memories of the M14 and the guys I served with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to shoot a Mark-14 m1a ! WOW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!