Savage 340: Does anyone still love them?

PDA

OldSchooler
July 11, 2006, 08:55 AM
I've been making some decisions lately, as opposed to merely dreaming, :what: and I have fallen in some sort of infatuation with this gun. Those in the know and who were around when the earth was still flat, will recall that they were also sold as Stevens 325/Springfield 840.

I want it in .30WCF, for a coupla reasons:
1. I am getting a .35 Rem Marlin and don't really want another levergun in 30-30.
2. I want to use certain spitzers and do some handloading for them.
3. They are as light and totable as any gun. All day little shooters...

Who here likes them, and why? More importantly, does anyone have a spare taking up space in the cabinbet that they would sell to a good home?

Thanks....

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 340: Does anyone still love them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
db_tanker
July 11, 2006, 09:58 AM
Dang...I think I might have started somthing here. :) lol

Didn't mean to...

D

ROCKSHUND
July 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
Find a good one, and have fun. My 340 is a .222 Rem, I'm giving it to my daughter soon. You've listed the reasons why I think that the 30/30 would be a neat, fun little rifle. -FNR.

Eagle1899
July 11, 2006, 09:24 PM
I have a 340 in 30-30 with a very nice walnut stock. 3x9 Bushnell in a weaver side mount, that was inletted for instead of the normal cut out. It shoots very well with both cast loads and jacketed. I recently skim bedded the barrel and lug (at normal contact points) and found that while the accuracy is near same, the point of impact after stock removal now remains the same. Always wanted to find a beater and rebarrel it in 7x30 Waters!!! to match my Contender.

carp killer
July 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
I like the 340's. I've got the 340 in .225, .222 and 30WCF. I'm looking for a gunsmith who can do a good job of rebarreling the 30-30 to .25-35. Does anyone have somebody they have used who can do the job?

Gewehr98
July 21, 2006, 11:23 PM
One accurate, simple, and reliable bolt-action rifle chambered for a wonderful round, easy to shoot, detachable box magazine, and rugged good looks, even if it was a bargain rifle.

I lost it to my ex-wife as part of the divorce agreement. I understand she still shoots it on a regular basis. I'll have to find another Model 340 one of these days. :(

mc223
July 21, 2006, 11:27 PM
I have the Stevens version 322 in 22 Hornet, simple, quick and accurate. wouldn't have it another way.

OldSchooler
July 22, 2006, 04:42 AM
I appreciate all the great comments. I will be going after my .35 Remmy this week and then be on the scoutout for a 340 or derivative. Any body done any handloading specifically for this rifle in .30-30?

jrfoxx
July 22, 2006, 06:45 AM
I have one in 30-30 that I inherited from my father-in-law.Nice gun, light and handy.My only beef is that mine came with VERY rudimentary sights (look very much like the sights from bb guns I had as a kid) and is not able to take a scope without having holes drilled in it (which I prefer not to do, out of respect for the wife). Mine definitely needs one too, as it shoots 6" to the right at 50 yds (it was stored in a closet with no case for many years, and I suspect it fell over at some point and damaged the sights, although I cant see anything obvious).It would be a great deer gun if I could get it to shoot straight.A real shame.I know some of the later ones had holes for scope mounting, and came with better sights, but mine is from the late 50's, early 60's).

GooseGestapo
July 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
I had one back in early-mid '80's, and shot and loaded alot for it.

Most of the caveats that apply to loading the .30wcf in the leveractions apply to it as well. Only difference is that you CAN safely use the Pointed Spitzer style bullets in it.

The 340 is not as strong as most bolt actions and is the reason that it was never loaded in any real high pressure cartridges. The exceptions were the .222 and .223, mainly because of the extra mass of the barrels with similar contour and low bolt thrust of the smaller case heads was "OK", but some I've seen would render the brass essentially unreloadable after the first firing. (.223's)

I got very acceptable accuracy from mine, but it never equaled a Rem. m788 that I had a decade earlier. Remmy' would shoot 3shot clover leafs with 130gr Speer HP's and Imr-4320.

I loaded a few pointed bullets in it (m340), but I found that most of the pointed bullets are intended for higher velocity cartridges such as '06, and 300magnums, such that performance is less than desireable at nominal .30wcf velocities. (read very poor expansion at ranges beyond what you would normally use RN's anyway).

An exception was/is the 125gr Nosler Balistic Tip. Other good bullets are the 125gr Sierra PtSP, and 125-130gr Speer PtSP and HP. The Remington 125gr PtSP deserves some serious attention too. (Note it is not a "Cor-lokt", and is considered a "varmint" bullet in .308 and .30/06).

I got fabulous accuracy from my m788 and m340 with the Speer 130gr HP and IMR-3031. Approx 33.0gr if my memory serves me correctly.

These days, I use RL-15 for equal accuracy and 150fps greater velocity with 150gr Rem Corlokt RN's This bullet has a good ballistic coefficient and is "engineered" for optimal performance. It is now my GO-TO bullet for all .30wcf usage.

My 340 had the side mount and scope that it came with as a "package" when originally sold by Western Auto in the late '60's. Prior to my acquisition, the stock had been abused. I refininshed to orignial appearance and was a good shooter.

I primarily got it to shoot cast bullets, because of it's 6-groove rifleing was much better with .308-.309" bullets. It shot VERY WELL with a Lee .309 150gr FNGC over 28.0gr of IMR-3031.

I now find that my micro-groove rifle (Marlin/Glenfield m30) shoots .310-.311" bullets just as well, so I "Parted" with the bolt-action for some other "gotta have" project many years ago.

Some of the earlier guns didn't have recievers drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Because of the open top reciever, this gun requires a "side mount", but it centers the scope over the bore.

There are also some variants with a 24"bbl, and they have a "butter knife" style bolt handle. These in my opinion are the more favorable. An aquaintance had one of these with a Weaver K-4 scope. He had been around the world with it both in US military, and later as a Missionary. He had a number of exotic game heads he had taken with it. Even had some South African mfg. ammo that he claimed was unbelievable on "wart hogs". He had "head" to show for it too!

You should be able to find one for a reasonable price.

A good shooter if the bore is in good shape!!!!

JBP
July 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
I just picked up a 325B in 30-30 at Gunrbroker.com. It is in great condition and is just missing a magazine which already is on its way from Numrich. I'll see how the accuracy is and if necessary will get a Weaver side mount and scope for it. I already have a scoped 32B in .222 and it's one of my favorite (& accurate) rifles.

pete f
July 23, 2006, 03:39 AM
My only complaint was that they did not just fall from the ugly tree, but that they were made from the ugly tree..... they worked fine, just do not loose a mag.

OldSchooler
July 24, 2006, 07:43 AM
Okay, admittedly, they are not much in the looks department. And that open topped receiver makes a scope mount an even funkier proposition. But they are such a handy little piece that I lament never having gotten one before, when the gettin' was good.

On that subject, are they up to the Marlin 336 in terms of pressure limits? I can just see one of them in .30-30 Ackley Improved...

Please, doesnt someone have on they can part with?

Grayrock
January 27, 2008, 01:39 AM
Just (re)- acquired a 340 C in .222 Rem. It was the first rifle I ever shot at a deer with a long time ago. I thought it had been stolen, but my mom found it in the back of my late father's closet. When were these made? What did they sell for new? Anyone know what the normal length of pull is? Anyone have pics with one with a peep sight? How does a .222 compare with a .223, or .243 or 6mm ballistically?

BBA
January 27, 2008, 09:07 AM
I have the Springfield w/ a scope and the 2x4 stock. My son has the Savage with a nice walnut stock, both are 30WCF. We have been shooting cast bullits with good results at 50 yards. Haven't had the time to play at the 100yd range yet. Lyman 311041 and some 3031 is a good combo. Rimmed rounds aren't supposed to work well in bolt actions, I guess the Russian mosins never worked.

R.W.Dale
January 27, 2008, 09:27 AM
Who here likes them, and why? More importantly, does anyone have a spare taking up space in the cabinbet that they would sell to a good home?

I do! A very nice one with a custom thumbhole stock.......The problem is you'll have to bid on it.:evil:

Grayrock
January 27, 2008, 12:16 PM
Mine has the folding rear buckhorn sight. How exactly is the folding option used? Is it just to make it less prone to snagging or is it a 2 distance sighting mechanism (closer distance when folded down and farther distance when folded up)? When folded down it still seems to have a rear sighting groove. Also- anyone have a disassembly schematic for this rifle?

T.R.
January 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/Stevens30-30.jpg

This is an older Stevens 30-30. Still holds its zero year after year. Stock has been refinished and trigger guard replaced.

TR

R.W.Dale
January 27, 2008, 08:57 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/HPIM1823.jpg

Essex County
January 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
Love the shape of the bolt handle, BUT..it will interfere with a scope using to Savage 340 mount...trustme on this one. Essex

rr2241tx
January 28, 2008, 04:13 PM
Dad has a Stevens 325 .30-30 with the Springfield sidemount and 4X Springfield scope. My father bought it new for $33. I just got through refinishing the stock. The last time it was shot was 1996 and probably the last time it was cleaned was 1947. After dissolving lots of copper fouling and oiling everything, it missed the paper with the fouling shot then put 3 in the 10 ring at 100 yards. I cleaned and oiled it then signed and dated the target and gave it back to him. It will be shot again when I inherit it.

Vern Humphrey
January 28, 2008, 04:24 PM
Those in the know and who were around when the earth was still flat, will recall that they were also sold as Stevens 325/Springfield 840.
There's your problem -- they were made when the earth was flat, and the sun and moon circled us. So there is no allowance for coriolis effect and the bullets fly in circles.:p

Shawnee
January 28, 2008, 04:29 PM
I would be hard-pressed to say I "love" the 340, or even that I would spend money to get one, but they were/are pretty decent utilitarian rifles. I shot a couple, both in 30/30 and both wearing low power scopes. Both shot with easily adequete accuracy for deer hunting.

An older Savage I would really like to have is the break-open model 219 in .22 Hornet.

:cool:

Nice-lookng custom job there, Krochus !

Z71
January 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
My father had one in .22 Hornet, was accurate as can be, but had extraction problems. We never did get that totaly resolved.

I mounted up a scope on one for an ex-coworker not too long back. Midway has scope mounts that are pretty cool. Bolt right on the holes in the receiver side.

Sighted it in and it was superbly accurate. That gun was a Stevens something or other, basicaly a Savage 340.

Oh, it was a .222 rifle, and used .223 magazines!

Mikee
January 29, 2008, 06:38 PM
What's NOT to love about the 30-30 bolt action rifles? I have 8 of them and am looking for # 9. The first one was purchased at the ripe old age of 14 from Montgomery Wards (Westernfield) in the fall of 1968 through their catalog for $64.99. It has seen 40 hunting seasons and shoots 1" groups at 100 yds with factory Silvertip 170 gr ammo better today than when it was new. You can't beat their accuracy, reliability, weight, or handling for the money. I am looking for the rifle that was made for CIL (Canadian Industries LTD) According to crossover tables it is the model 830. I do not know if CIL had any other trade name on the rifle such as "Westpoint", "Revelation", "Westernfield", or "Foremost" . Can anyone help me out with this? Hope there are many out there who have more info and/or can find me one.

MoxleyK98
December 19, 2008, 10:51 PM
Not like them, love them. I have one from my grandpa and it is one of the best, most reliable guns I have ever owned. It is to be cherished and enjoyed for years to come.

slzy
December 20, 2008, 12:46 AM
saw one at a show lately for $300. i offered unsolicited advice to a guy and his girlfriend,whom the rifle was to be for. seems like cowboy loads to leverlution and all inbetween would be perfect for a new shooter. [old too]

OldSchooler
December 21, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hard to believe where these have gone. I can get a Savage 30-06 for that - new!

ken22250
December 21, 2008, 07:28 PM
i have an old savage 340D .222 that was bought, used in the late 60's for $100 with a scope, ive killed hundreds of woodchucks with it, and i just started handloading for it, and it will consistantly shoot 1/2 " groups, that rifle started my love for varmint hunting, and the .222, which i now have 3 of, and a 222 mag.
ken

tango2echo
December 21, 2008, 08:42 PM
My brother owned one in CA in the 1970's. When Dad moved to a base in Texas around 1975 the gun was sold to a Marine there on the base. Bro found the gun one day in a pawn shop in Jacksonville, NC. Same EXACT gun. #'s matched and stock had been drilled under the buttplate to hold extra ammo. Great guns. Wish I had one.

T2E

MatthewVanitas
January 30, 2009, 03:11 PM
Not to necro-post, but this seems to be the unofficial Savage 340 megathread.

I saw a rifle at a local pawnshop with a very unusual mag cutout. Couldn't find anything on it but ".222 Proof Tested" and then "Dockendorff" on the wheel-sight. Googled "Dockendorff" and figured out it's the sight manufactuerer for the Savage 340, which looks pretty much like the funky rifle I saw at the pawnshop, with the cutout mag and the odd ridges on the receiver just forward of the bolt.

The reason I couldn't find a name on it is because it has a side-mounted scope, which is bolted right where the Savage billboard is. The scope is a really beat-up and unlabeled steel fixed scope, but the rings and mount are Weaver.

They're asking like $249 for it, but since they know me well there, the mag is missing, scope is busted, and they can't find a name on it, I figure I can get maybe $150-200 on it. Do folks think it's worth it at that point?

Is .222 about as easy/cheap to load for as .223 (minus initial brass cost)? Does the .222 fit in the .223 Savage 340 mags (easy to find on GunBroker). Without taking the scope mount off, any way to tell whether it's a 325, 340, or other variant?

Jubjub
January 30, 2009, 05:19 PM
Brownell's sells the magazine for the .222. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=13183

I paid something in the low $200 range for mine, a Coast to Coast store brand gun in .222. Butt ugly blond wood stock, no scope or mount, but mine did come with a magazine. Turned out to be a pretty good shooter. Doesn't like factory ammo, and doesn't like to get hot, but with a handload that it likes it's just over an inch for five shots consistently.

The .222 is a dream to handload, just don't try to make it into a .223. Bullets in the 40 to 50 grain range, and charges usually about a grain less than max loads seem to make mine the happiest.

MatthewVanitas
January 30, 2009, 06:46 PM
Bought the .222 for $195, with Weaver mounts and rings, and a dinged-up and unmarked 4x all-steel scope. The picture actually isn't bad through the scope; I was going to toss a 4X Weaver onto it, but maybe I'll just see how it shoots.

Then again, since I only paid $20 for my Weaver, am I just asking for aggravation in trying to use a no-name 4x scope to sight in loads? Maybe I'll just give it away free to a poor young friend to mess with.

In any case, now I need to go read up on cheap 100-200m plinking loads for the .222, and get some carbide dies. Any recommendations?

I understand that .222 was the dominant mid-range cartridge for years, so that sounds promising.

JR47
January 31, 2009, 03:32 PM
I bought one in .222, with a side-mounted Weaver brass 4X scope, the one with external adjustments, a few years ago. I paid $140 for it. Found a half-dozen spare mags cheap when EBay was still hunting friendly. I've cleaned up the old girl, but left the scope attached. Added a leather 7/8" sling. Neat old gun.

I also bought another Savage from the same guy that is an older Model 23D, in .22 Hornet. Same scope set-up. Both of them are fun shooters. I found magazines for it on EBay back then, as well.

Both of them attract older shooters at the range (I'm 61, so older to me is ancient to a lot of you).:)

savageman
June 6, 2010, 09:15 AM
Its good to find that there are some folks out there who still appreciate this fine old piece. Back in 1969, I received one for my 16th birthday. I still have this little gem. It is accurate and a fun shooter as it doesn't pound you when shooting.

My particular rifle is a 340C. The carbine version with a 20" barrel. Back then we didn't have the newer bullets for the 30-30 so we settled on 165 grain round nose bullets driven by 30.5 grains of IMR 3031 powder and a Remington 9-1/2 primer. Now, this is a little hot, so like they say in the magazines and reloading manuals, start with a 10% reduced load and work your way up. This loading has produced 5 shot MOA or less groups at 100 yards. Bear in mind that is is from a 20" tube.

My 340 was in a fire back in 1975 and the stock was damaged and the blueing rusted. Fortunately, the action and barrel we still sound so my Dad had the action and barrel polished and reblued to a high gloss. He found a new unfinished stock and finished it beautifully. Now, I have the prettiest $63.00 (The cost in 1969) rifle in the world. No bias here!

I see this question was posted a few years ago, so maybe all this is old news, but it has given me a chance to brag about my first rifle. For that I must thank you. Just in case you couldn't tell, yes I still love mine.

Savageman

Abel
June 6, 2010, 09:32 AM
This rifle is on my pawn-shop radar. I am always looking for one in 30-30. Please post pictures of yours to prove its beauty.

Grayrock
June 6, 2010, 10:11 AM
This is my new found deer rifle this year. I had put a 4 X scope on my .222 and recently got to shoot it. I was hitting the gong at 250 yards with it most of the time and hit 3 6"X6" plates in a row at 175 yards. Made me happy. Head shots on a doe should be cake.

KW
June 6, 2010, 01:44 PM
My uncle gave me one in .30-30. It got shot enough to wear the ejector to the point that you sometimes had to pull spent brass out by hand. Otherwise it was a very nice shooter. Very accurate with the irons, and soft on the shoulder. I don't keep .30-30 around so I traded it to my dad for a sporterized SMLE that I keep saying I'm going to restore. He decided he prefers lever actions to bolts, and traded it back to my uncle for something else I believe. Funny how these things come back to you.

airedaleman
June 6, 2010, 11:08 PM
Had a Model 325 Stevens - the 340's forerunner and the rifle that paved the way for Savage's "brotherhood of the barrel nut" - in 30-30. Paid $65.00 for it back in the mid 80's. For some reason, I never got around to shooting it. I did like the look of the butter-knife bolt handle. Shortly after I acquired the 30-30, I bought a new 340V in .225 Winchester. More on this later...

JR47
June 7, 2010, 08:01 PM
I have a Model 340 in .222 Remington. I also have an older Model 23D in .22 Hornet. Both have been treated well over their lives, and are accurate little rifles. The Hornet chambered one has an old, brass Weaver scope, with external adjustments. I keep it on the rifle for nostalgia. Oddly, it's still pretty clear.

nfrgcs
July 19, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hey everyone, first post here. Just picked up a .222 savage/springfield 840 today. has an old weaver mount and wears a tasco 6-24 varminter from a while back. I guess I have a few questions about this rifle. First, I'd like to use it for casual plinking/woodchuck hunting. It doesn't have sling studs so is there any way to mount a sling and bipod on this without damaging the rifle? Also, the trigger is very heavy. Is there an easy way to adjust this and does anyone even make an aftermarket trigger for these? Thanks

Abel
July 19, 2010, 10:02 PM
Hey everyone, first post here. Just picked up a .222 savage/springfield 840 today. has an old weaver mount and wears a tasco 6-24 varminter from a while back. I guess I have a few questions about this rifle. First, I'd like to use it for casual plinking/woodchuck hunting. It doesn't have sling studs so is there any way to mount a sling and bipod on this without damaging the rifle? Also, the trigger is very heavy. Is there an easy way to adjust this and does anyone even make an aftermarket trigger for these? Thanks

Start a whole new thread & ask. This thread's as old as dirt.

Grayrock
July 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
What is accomplished by starting a new thread? What is wrong with reading an old thread? Why does everyone say "Use the SEARCH feature" when someone asks a common question? :confused:

Vern Humphrey
July 20, 2010, 10:22 AM
First of all, there are two ways to attach a sling -- the simplest is simply to knot a strap around the stock. That doesn't require any alteration to the stock.

The second way is to drill the stock for screw-in studs -- you can buy a set at Wal Mart. You simply drill the buttstock along the bottom edge (being careful always to center the hole from side to side.) For the forearm, you remove the rifle from the stock drill the hole from the outside, and countersink from the inside -- there is a nut that fits in the countersink.

Generally speaking, a trigger job is best left to a gunsmith. But if you are confident that you can disassemble the trigger and properly reassemble it, you can thoroughly clean the parts, polish the non-working side surfaces (which add a lot of drag), lubricate it with special trigger lube (from Brownell's, Inc.) and replace the springs with Wolff Gunsprings.

Grayrock
July 20, 2010, 12:09 PM
My .222 has a rough trigger, too. I was led to believe that these were not able to be adjusted.

Vern Humphrey
July 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
Any trigger can be adjusted -- if you know what you're doing. Essentially, trigger adjustment consists of four steps:

1. Disassembly, cleaning and lubricating.
2. Polishing non-working surfaces.
3. Altering depth and angle of engagement. *
4. Changing springs.

* Best left to a gunsmith.

Palehorseman
July 20, 2010, 01:29 PM
I have a Stevens 325C 30-30 I picked up couple years ago for 200 bucks. Love it and sure brought back memories, took my first deer with my brother-in-law's near Hollister CA back in the 1950s.

The 325's were only made for a couple years back in the late 1940s, in 30-30 only, I don't think they were ever D&T for a scope, but were for a receiver sight. Pic was taken before I put a Williams FP-340 receiver sight on it, what a difference for accuracy that made. I shoot only cast in it with the Lyman 311466 and 311291 and is a tack driver with them.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010005-2.jpg

One thing to always remember, these 300 series rifles only have one locking lug, so "HOT" is "NOT" to be attempted, for the action is no stronger than a 94 lever gun.

Considerable info on the rifles here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dRs4q9dup1oJ:www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/Savage_340.htm+stevens+325+and+savage+340&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

mcdonl
September 22, 2010, 12:36 PM
I just picked up a "sears" version for $189 at Cabelas in 30/30.... it is a little rough but my 14 year old daughter will LOVE IT!! So will I.

airedaleman
September 22, 2010, 11:49 PM
As I mentioned above, I've had a Stevens 325 and a Savage 340V (the .225 Winchester). I bought the 340V new back in the mid 80's just around the time Savage ceased production of the 340. I never really felt comfortable shooting factory ammunition in that rifle, as I thought Savage was pushing the limits of that single locking lug design in this chambering. (The bolt handle DOES serve as an auxiliary locking lug, but it's nothing to bank on...) Also, at the time there was some talk of erratic pressure spiking in factory ammunition.
I put a Simmons 10X scope - which I had picked up from Simmons at the first SHOT Show in St. Louis back in 1979 - on it and hand loaded at milder levels.
The rifle shot well and I killed a number of woodchucks with it. It was a dead-on 250 yard gun. Sold it to finance something else. (I guess - memory is failing me.)
Fast forward to earlier this year, when I checked a pawn shop a couple of counties over. As soon as I walked in the shop, I spotted the distinctive
recessed magazine well of a 340, and was delighted to find it was a .222 Remington . It carried a Chinese Tasco 3X9X40 scope in a high Weaver side mount and a price tag of $229. I walked out the door with it for $212.50.
Rifle is a 340B, made in 1953. I found a Weaver K10 at a Richmond gun show for 40 bucks (!) and got rid of the Tasco. I'm as happy as an old chuck hunter could be.
I came to be a great fan of the .222 just about the time the .223 took off. I had back in the 70's a couple of Remington 722's in .222 and later a 788.
I kind of had to start over again with this 340, but after some digging, got dies, brass, and ammunition started to rain on me. (Oldest, bestest friend from New Hampshire showed up at our 50th wedding anniversary party with seven boxes of old Winchester and Remington cartridges!)
I"ve had it out several times now, and it shoots 100-yard 5-shot one inch
groups all day long with virtually every thing it's fed...
I find rather a sad commentary on the state of firearms manufacture today when a 57-year economy model rifle's fit, finish and performance put to shame the "latest and best" shilled by virtually every gun writer these days.
This 340 has real blueing, proper polishing, and a walnut stock. It was a simple design to inlet into that walnut stock, granted, but the fact remains that there are no gaps, and the trigger is centered in both stock and guard.
I think I may try to find a .30-30 too, to make up for that Stevens that I never got around to shooting.

HOOfan_1
September 22, 2010, 11:52 PM
Got 2...one in .30-30 one in .225 which is unfortunately screwed unless we can somehow find another barrel or cough up the money to have one made.

My dad has killed plenty of deer with the first and he and I have killed plenty of groundhogs with the second.

FROGO207
September 23, 2010, 12:37 AM
Up here in eastern Maine it seems that almost every pawn and gunshop has at least one priced at $150--$200 usually with a mag. I got mine in 30-30 a couple years ago for $110. The stock has a couple dozen or so hash marks. Last owner said 1 for each buck it has taken. Will have to use it this year and add my own to the collection.:)

dans3kgt
October 6, 2010, 08:20 PM
I know this is an old post that has been recently revived so I thought OI would add a few pics of my savage 340B in .222 . I have had it for 2 years and picked it up at a yardsale for 50.00 I had to add the scope and mounts.
I would like to find someone on here that reloads 222 and would be interested in selling me some hand loads. If you reload and are interested in doing some for me please PM me

Thanks

Dan Kleinman

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt151/dans3kgt/222-1.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt151/dans3kgt/222-2.jpg

dans3kgt
October 6, 2010, 08:35 PM
I forgot to add I love the site and this is my first time posting on this forum

Dan

jimmyraythomason
October 6, 2010, 09:56 PM
I gave my older daughter an 842 in 30-30. I had to shorten the butt stock by 2 inches so it would fit her.

Joel Lehman
October 6, 2010, 10:26 PM
I bought the Revelation version several years ago for $125. The bore was rough but the walnut stock is nice with what looks like pressed checkering. I bought a new barrel from Gunparts and had it installed with no sights. It is accurate with mild recoil. It should be good for grand kids.

The rifle is fun to shoot with the side mount Burris Fullfield 3X9 scope. I have 125 Sierra spitzers, 130 Speer flat points and 150 Sierra flat points to try. Right now I am working up loads using Berry's plated 150 grain bullet with 26 grains of 3031 as a turkey load.

sdragon1963
October 14, 2010, 05:17 PM
had 1 as a kid lost it in a fire just got 1 at a yard sale for 40.00 back in june get 1 1/2 at 200 yards with ftx 160 grain an 32 grains of varget :neener::fire:i love this site just need to find a front site for it put a sun optics mount on it and a weaver 3x9x 32 scope old steel tube that was in box of stuff from a sale

Still Shooting
October 16, 2010, 11:59 PM
Wow! Deja vu! My first centerfire rifle was a Savage 340 in 22 Hornet. I bought it from a friend in 1960 for $35, with an unfinished stock. Did the finish with boiled linseed, turps, and a little beeswax on the final 2 coats. I was 14. I saved my quarters and put a 6X Weaver on the gun. At 100 yds. it would put all 5 into the pip on an ace of spades! That summer at my family's camp in the NY Finger Lakes, I shot 97 'chucks. Dad bought me a Pacific press (still use it) and a set of dies when I was 16, and it got me into handloading. The gun was stolen from storage a week after I graduated college, and never recovered. I have often thought about buying another one if it turned up, but none has. I loved that gun.

rickcressler
July 27, 2011, 02:15 PM
I bought a 340 from my Grandpa's best friend in 1978 for $50.00. It has the side mounted scope base (which does NOT interfere with the bolt handle as long as you use a 1" tube fixed power scope with no oversize eyepiece) as well as the dockendorff wheel elevator rear sight.

I've killed quite a few deer with it and retired it after being consumed with having something heavier. The only problems I EVER had with it was the extractor went bad right after I first got it.

About 15 years ago, I dug it out of the gun safe and played around with some hand loads. Had some pretty interesting things happen! This thing shoots sub inch groups at 150 yards (Had a blast at the range popping two liter bottle caps off the target backers one right after the other) with the first load I worked up.

I did try using some spire pointed bullets since it doesn't have a tubular magazine, but one thing people need to keep in mind is overall length. it is safe to use pointed bullets, but they A...Don't fit in the magazine unless they are REALLY deep, and B... they have to be short enough to close the bolt. Not sure what it would do to pressure with the bullet jammed in the rifling to start.

All in all, it's been a great little gun. Light, easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, and holds a special place in my heart. This was my first firearm. Brings a tear to the eye just remembering.......

Dr.Rob
July 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
My uncle still hunts with one back east.. it's a sturdy no nonsense rifle.

We don't usually let old threads like these get dragged up for no good reason but the model just isn't very commonly seen in these parts.

sixgunner455
July 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
My dad had one of these in .30-30 as a kid. I showed him a couple of pictures from this thread this afternoon, and he was excited to see his old rifle, and people still appreciating it. He says it was very accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot.

tango2echo
July 28, 2011, 11:15 PM
My Brother's first rifle was a Savage 340 in .30WCF. He sold it in Red Bluff, CA in 1979 or 1980, and then found it in a Pawn Shop in Jacksonville, NC in 1998. EXACT SAME GUN. We had old pictures for insurance purposes and had recorded the serial numbers. He kept it for a few years, lost the magazine in the woods, and sold it to a friend. I would have never let that one go. Some things are never supposed to be sold. The friend took his first deer with it on the very first time ever in the woods after single loading the chamber and shooting sans magazine.

t2e

airedaleman
July 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
Still love my 340B in 222 (see my earlier post...)

Where have all the woodchucks gone? Long time passing...

DM~
July 29, 2011, 10:58 AM
There seems to be plenty of 340's around, i see them used fairly often, mostly in 30-30 and for around $300...

DM

natman
July 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
I am looking for the rifle that was made for CIL (Canadian Industries LTD) According to crossover tables it is the model 830. I do not know if CIL had any other trade name on the rifle such as "Westpoint", "Revelation", "Westernfield", or "Foremost" . Can anyone help me out with this? Hope there are many out there who have more info and/or can find me one.

I once had a CIL gun in 30-30. The stock was finished in a funky orange wash. It was marked as a CIL, model 830 IIRC, but it was a badge engineered 340 all the way. It was my first centerfire gun, bought because it was dirt cheap.

I try to get nostalgic for it now and again, but never succeed.;)

rehorne
July 29, 2011, 09:12 PM
Sure wish I could find a complete bolt and Mag for the one I have in the shop

lonestardiver
July 31, 2011, 07:40 PM
I had the Stevens variant model 325C. It had the blonde stock (light colored wood) and the butter knife bolt handle..... Short, light weight....stock needed some reshaping to be not so "ungainly". They were made in the early 50's for about 2 - 3 years...prior to being required to have serial numbers... when I sold it we looked for a number....never could find one...so the FFL dealer and my C&R book have it listed as none.

chukhntr
August 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
I recently picked up a 340 in .222. It is in good condition except for a small piece of the stock that is missing at the rear left side of the receiver. Apparently that piece does not matter since the gun shoots under 1" with a load of 24 gr. Varget with a Hornady 50 gr. V-Max when I do my part. I'll probably have the stock repaired or get a new one. The trigger is about 4-1/2 lb.

When I bought the gun it had a Weaver J2.5 scope on it which I will be selling. I replaced the scope with a Redfield 3-9x Widefield. I found out the hard way that the newer scopes don't work with the Weaver side mount because the larger diameter in the turret area interferes with the mount. I was going to mount a Nikon BDC scope on it, and It wouldn't fit. This prompted me to go to the nearest gun shop and trade some unwanted scopes for the Redfield.

Previous 340's were a .30-30 340A and a .222 in the last model they made. The extractor on the .222 was really useless, even after I replaced the brass claw.

Taroman
August 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
Interesting thread. Had a .22 Hornet 342 for years and loved it.
So, I just picked up 225 Winchester 340V at the LGS. Included 2 magazines, 400 rounds of ammo and new brass as well as an RCBS die set. $150 for it all. No love there. The included Weaver mount wouldn't fit my scope, so I just added a side-mount rail.
After looking at what load data is available, I settled on WW760 as the powder that appears to have the lowest pressures. Want to start low and work up a mild load that's easy on this action's limitations.

HOOfan_1
August 15, 2011, 03:25 PM
my dad loaded his 340 .225 with H380...and Sierra 52 grain Matchkings.

Too bad a gun smith ruined it, and another one is supposed to be looking for a new barrel for it.

Taroman
August 15, 2011, 04:55 PM
"Too bad a gun smith ruined it, and another one is supposed to be looking for a new barrel for it."

Must have been the same 'smith that hacked on the stock on mine. Fortunately, he left the barrel alone. I did, however, order a new bolt head from Numrich, as it appears that he had replaced the roll pin with a nail and then ground it off with a bench grinder.

Jason280
August 15, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure what it is about the rifles, but I am a big fan. I have three of them, a 340A .30-30 that was built before they started drilling/tapping the side of the receivers, a 325C Compact .30-30, and a 340E .222 with a steel tube Weaver 10x scope.

I'd like to find a rear peep for the 340A, but they have proved to be quite elusive!

airedaleman
August 25, 2011, 07:14 PM
Afraid I'm kind of taken with them, too. Just put a deposit on a Revelation 30-30 carbine.
Will have cost me $137.50 when I walk out the door with it next payday. Needs some cleaning up, but overall it's in excellent shape. I've had a Stevens 325 and a 340V (225 Winchester) in the past. The new carbine will go well with the 340B (222 remington)/Weaver K10 that I picked up a while ago. More later; just got over the earthquake and now prepping for the hurricane. Life is always interesting.

Savage Hunter
August 26, 2011, 09:25 AM
I inherited my grandfather's Savage 340A in .30-30, and I really like how short, light, and easy to carry it is.

With mine, the front sight (original) was never high enough for the original rear Marbles sight. Even when the rear sight is adjusted all the way down to the lowest setting, the front sight is still not high enough to allow me to zero the rifle at 50 or 100 meters. Even after removing the rear sight elevator altogether, it shoots consistently about 4" low at 50 meters. I've made the problem worse by adding a William's FP 340 receiver sight. Now the rear sight is even higher. I'd like to therefore replace the front sight with a much higher one, and I'm looking for suggestions on what brand/model of front sight will work. The original front sight is a one piece design secured by two screws about 0.89" - 0.9" apart, with no dovetail.

I was thinking about ordering a Marbles Front Sight Ramp w/ Dovetail Slot for the 0.625" barrel contour, and one of the high Front Sight inserts that fit into the dovetail slot in the ramp.

Has anyone else replaced their front sight with a Marbles sight, or some other brand? Do you think my choice will work? Is the barrel contour of a 340 in .30-30 about 0.625"?

Love this thread!

Pitbull-man
August 27, 2011, 01:03 PM
Wow, I never thought my first post on an Internet forum would be about the Savage 340! I shot my first Elk in Oregon in 1990 in the neck with one in 30-30 W.F.C. And my first Oregon Buck Muley with the same gun the year before! The Rifle was given to my Mother back in the 60's by a dear friend of the family, Johnny Nielson. Not fancy, but certianly functional. I still have it and will hand it down to one of my Grandchildren.

MaineHunter
January 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
When I was a youngster my dad saved up and bought one of these. I was telling my sons I never knew what happened to it after he quit hunting. Lo and behold the siblings bought me one exactly like my dad had, a 340A, for Christmas. I've just refinished the stock and I am having a ball with it. It's a 30/30 and I am considering having it drilled and tapped for a scope mount as my 75 year old eyes just "ain't what they used to be"! I think I have identified the year of manufacture as l954.

rajb123
January 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
I just gave away a marlin 35 remington.....not a big lever gun fan...

FROGO207
January 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
My brother liked mine so well that he went out and got himself one this past fall to use. He also liked the fact that it used the same ammo as his WIN 94 did. We went head to head when setting his up this fall and I think his is a better shooter than mine at 75 YDS as that's where we sight them in for use around here.

Grayrock
January 19, 2012, 12:21 AM

Huh?:confused:

Grayrock
January 19, 2012, 12:26 AM
Took a doe with my .222 just a couple of weekends ago at 222 feet. Head shot. It seems to like the Hornady Varmint Express 50gr V-Max moly bullets.

Smokey in PHX
January 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Many years ago I had two, 30-30 and .222. They are long gone now but were great shooting rifles. Could be purchased new for a little less than a Model 94 Winchester. I also had a Remington 788 in .222 which is still in the safe. You saw a lot of these rifles in the old days in Pennsylvania.

A Pause for the Coz
January 20, 2012, 12:54 AM
Funny to happen across this old thread. I have a 340 I got off GunBroker for $175
Shoots everything I stick in it well.
I load 170 gr Lyman fp's .309 gas checked ahead of 26gr H4895

For plinking I use the same bullet or the LEE 150 fp's ahead of 8.7 gr of Universal or 8.5 gr Unique.

For a good clover leaf load. Try LEE 150 gr Pointy tips. Same mold they make for 7.62x39 sized to .309. Ahead of 9 gr of Trail Boss. You will be suprised how well that shoots from this gun. Just make sure you seat the bullet in enough to clear the mag.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_7887.jpg

Smokey in PHX
January 20, 2012, 05:06 PM
Nice looking rifle for $175. You got a steal.

Abel
January 20, 2012, 06:55 PM

What does that have to do with a bolt action Savage 30-30?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 340: Does anyone still love them?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!