California: Which Northern CA Counties are Most CCW Friendly??

PDA

Gary H
May 2, 2003, 06:01 PM
Looking for a second home..

If you enjoyed reading about "California: Which Northern CA Counties are Most CCW Friendly??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pendragon
May 2, 2003, 06:06 PM
It depends on what you call "northern".

If you want to live in the Bay Area, I am not sure - I doubt there are any good counties.

If you want to live further North, just avoid Sacramento and probably Yolo County and you will probably be fine.

In general, the more populated, the harder it is ti get CCW.

Placer county is still supposed to be good, but it is growing like crazy and could get harder - especially for people in Roseville/Rocklin.

Yuba, Sutter, Butte, Lassen, Shasta, Amadour, Tehema, Nevada (?), and probably most of the ones around there are all pretty good.

Just do your Sheriff a favor and give he a plausible good cause so he can defend himself politically.

Jim March
May 2, 2003, 06:29 PM
Pendragon nailed it.

Before moving, I'd check with one of the Sacramento area CCW trainers. There's a trend where the Sac trainers "cover" the whole surrounding region and have a good feel for which counties all around Sacramento are any good on CCW policies.

Amador has a pretty decent rep. In all cases, local gun shops in each county will have a general clue as to the sheriff's trends in CCW.

Sac County is one of the worst in the state as far as CCW issuance sanity; Yolo also sucks wind.

Sven
May 2, 2003, 06:39 PM
If anyone has other info (first or second hand) please post it here. I am very interested in this thread. Thanks!

Pendragon
May 2, 2003, 08:17 PM
Amador county is good, but good luck unless you are pretty well off - you cant touch nothin for under $400k - maybe $500k by now.

There was an articly in the Appeal Democrat (Yuba City and Marysville paper) about 6 weeks ago about how both the Yuba and Sutter sheriffs support CCW for self defense for regular folks.

And - the Sheriff for Yuba County (Marysville being most of that) is a Lady.

Tell us what you do and where and how you want to live and your circumstances and we can probably give you better advice.

Gary H
May 3, 2003, 02:27 AM
I'm looking for an area to get away. Half-mil. house as a second house isn't in the cards. I was thinking a small house 100 -150K. I'm not worried about earning a living, just a place to get away and place to get CCW. Now, that presents a bit of a problem in that it is tough to claim that I carry large sums of money and such when I don't even have a business in the area. I know that in Orange County you can shoot regularly and protecting your guns in transport is a legit reason for CCW. So, need a nice environment and less expensive homes and a low threshold for CCW.

Pendragon
May 3, 2003, 05:32 AM
Its getting very difficult to find a decent house for 150k within 70 minutes of Sacramento.

100k is a total fantasy unless you want a mobile home.

The only way you will find a decent home in that price range is to be a solid 2+ hours from Sacramento.

Housing is so out of touch with reality here.

My neighborhood in Sac is right now $180/sf and coming up on 200 in the next year or so.

Go to TX or FL and is $55-$75/sf

IMO, the only reason to be in CA would be to get the benifits of the big cities - if you want small town living, you should consider a state that will let you have a small town lifestyle.

Gary H
May 3, 2003, 10:45 AM
I just came back from Bakersfield where $100 - $150 was reasonable and a four hour drive from SF is possible, but I was hoping for a bit nicer environment. Reno is possible, but prices are high. If I want to sell my house in Marin I could buy a mansion, but I still need to work and so I must maintain a local address.

Sven
May 3, 2003, 02:41 PM
Housing is so out of touch with reality here.

I hate to rain on any new homeowner's parade here in CA with my doom and gloom predictions, but I have a feeling that the market is about to start sinking - fast.

I predict that, in 5 years, housing prices will be lower than they are now, or at least around the same rate.

I'm seeing houses come up down here in the bay for under $400K... HOUSES. Granted, they aren't in the best shape or neighborhoods, but 4 years ago it seemed there was NOTHING in this price range.

I'm saving my pennies (25% of my take home pay) for a downpayment, and have been for a while, but I really don't like the idea of putting roots down here, for a number of reasons.

I know a house is the best investment you can make, but it just doesn't "feel" right, right now in CA.

Just wait until those mortgage rates start going up - prices on houses is going to drop.

Maybe I'm wrong. TIme will tell.

pittspilot
May 3, 2003, 04:14 PM
Sven

I live in Davis, and am frequently floored at the Prices. My parents and Sister live in SoCal, and are in the process of selling and buying houses. I cannot fathom what my Brother in Law paid. $752,000 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My father is selling his house for $900,000, and while a nice house, we are talking $900,000.

And this has been going on a while.

When will affordability set in? I have no idea, but if history is a guide, there will only be a slight dropoff.

In any event, the wife and I have decided that Arizona or Texas would be a better bet. For $350,000 I can have ten acres, a range, a private pond and 3700 Sqaure feet, and they do not pay lawyers that much less in those states.

What can 350,000 buy me here? Not all that much.

atek3
May 3, 2003, 06:41 PM
sven, I think you are right on. A lot of austrian economists were saying in 1994-1996 the market will completely tank because of massive central bank credit expansion, they were right, the neo-keynesians were wrong. Now a lot of them are saying the market tank spurred malinvestment into the housing sector.
http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=1177

atek3

Sven
May 3, 2003, 10:44 PM
Location, location, location. Some areas will no doubt continue to appreciate, while others may drop off.... my whole point here:

Why the hell should I pay THAT much money for a house here.... when:

-I won't be allowed to CCW
-I won't be allowed to purchase an AR-15
-I won't be allowed to purchase a .50 rifle
-I won't be allowed to purchase many pistols
-I can't purchase normal capacity mags?

:cuss: :fire: :cuss: :fire: :cuss:

SERIOUSLY, this place is hosed. Do I want 8% of my income going to feed the beaucrats who dream up this fodder?

Screw this place! It's going to hell and I'm sick of it. If I complain about the things listed above, 90% of the people on the street would agree with the government.

Sorry for those with your roots sunk deep... I'm outta here. It's just a matter of time. Where's Standing Wolf when I need him?

riverdog
May 4, 2003, 12:05 AM
What's the story on CCW's in San Diego City/County?

Jim March
May 4, 2003, 12:52 AM
San Diego's sheriff's office seems to be just plain weird.

For an urban area, they issue a LOT of permits - about 1,800 at last count. (Right, I know, that's high only by Calif standards :rolleyes: ). What's going on is, they appear to have settled on an "objective standard" without telling anybody: "business license equals CCW". In other words, that's the proof you're a "small business owner" and hence qualified for CCW: you have a business license.

They're not SAYING that mind you...and it's still a crapshoot...

:fire:

Dex Sinister
May 4, 2003, 01:19 AM
Butte County treats them as "Shall Issue." That's Chico-Oroville if you're looking for a home, and CSU-Chico if you want to attend college, but R.E. prices have been "adjusting" upwards pretty dang fast lately.

If you like further north, Lassen county (Susanville) does also, and you can take great gunsmithing classes at Lassen Community College.

I believe, but don't have personal knowledge, that most of the counties east/west/north of Butte issue readily.

Dex http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/FIREdevil.gif

Hot brass
May 4, 2003, 05:37 AM
In the Bakersfield area, the city it is almost impossible to get a CCW. But, in the county that is another story. Kern County is gun friendly. You do not have to live in the sticks to be called county.

Dex Sinister
May 4, 2003, 01:39 PM
That reminds me - in the city of Chico, it is also near impossible to get them, as the police don't much like CCW. It's the sheriff's dept who issues them readily.

Jim March
May 4, 2003, 03:21 PM
In a lot of these "CCW friendly counties", the sheriff still discriminates against "townies". The actual border is the town boundary - the chiefs can only issue within it, and sheriffs often tell you to go see them for your inevitable "insta-screwing" if you're in there :barf:.

fastbolt
May 4, 2003, 04:39 PM
If you're the legal resident of a city which has its own police department, you must first apply to that police chief.

There are some instances where the city police chiefs of a county may accept your application, but instead of deciding whether or not to issue you a CCW, they may forward your application to the local Sheriff, leaving it up to the Sheriff to make the ultimate determination. This removes the "burden" of deciding whether or not to issue the CCW from the city police chief, and transfers it to the Sheriff, so to speak.

I'm not implying there's any particular advantage/disadvantage, or political "liabilities", if the decision to issue/not issue were passed on to someone else, either ... ;)

Dex Sinister
May 4, 2003, 05:41 PM
In a lot of these "CCW friendly counties", the sheriff still discriminates against "townies". The actual border is the town boundary - the chiefs can only issue within it, and sheriffs often tell you to go see them for your inevitable "insta-screwing" if you're in there

'Round here, it's the reverse - if you live in Chico, the police reject your app, which you then take to the sheriff's dept, which issues the CCW.

Chico just happens to be wierd anyway - "county" land is all mixed in within the city "limits," so geographically it just depends on the map whether you're actually in "county" or "city."

Good point, though - it usually pays off to make sure you move into unincorporated northern CA county land, rather than into a northern CA town.

Jim March
May 4, 2003, 07:08 PM
Quoting:

If you're the legal resident of a city which has its own police department, you must apply to that police chief.

That's a lie.

Here's the actual Penal Code text:

--------------------
12050. (a) (1) (A) The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

(i) A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(ii) Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

[we then jump down to "D"...]

(D) For the purpose of subparagraph (A), the applicant shall satisfy any one of the following:

(i) Is a resident of the county or a city within the county.
--------------------

Jim again.

This "jurisdictional issue" is NOT DISCRETIONARY. The "good cause" and "good character" parts are, yes, but a sheriff can issue to anybody who "is a resident of the county or a city within the county" and any such person has a *right* to apply with the sheriff.

In three counties identified so far, such patterns of town discrimination lead to the sheriff blocking towns which have higher minority content than the county population as a whole. Thus the policies have a racially discriminatory effect in practice.

Standing Wolf
May 4, 2003, 08:48 PM
I paid $127,500 for a two bed-room house in a quiet neighborhood in a medium-sized city in Colorado last summer. My lot is about a fifth of an acre, with two large tree and some small saplings, on a cul de sac. My property taxes for the year were just under $600. The garage would hold two cars if I had more than one, and there's space beside it for storing a boat or another vehicle. My neighbors are quiet, responsible, professional people. Only one dog roams the neighborhood, and it seems never to bark. The house is just under 1,000 square feet, which would seem small to most people, but is the right size for a single guy who doesn't care to spend a great deal of time cleaning. Utilities are somewhat less expensive in Colorado than the People's Republic of California, and the air is significantly cleaner, although there's snow in the winter. There are far fewer illegal aliens here than in the P.R.C., much less political corruption, and burglars are actually sent to prison on a first conviction, not their third and fourth convictions.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but I'd guess my CCW permit cost me $250–$300, including N.R.A. training course, and has turned out to be good for four years, not the single year stated. Colorado now has a shall issue law. It takes ten minutes to buy a gun, and if your taste runs to fully automatic firearms, you can legally keep and bear those, too. Anything that's legal for sale in the U.S.A. is legal for sale here. The Colorado State Shooting Association puts out a truly splendid magazine, and outside Denver, nobody exercises much anti-Second Amendment bigotry.

I still miss the P.R.C.'s beaches; my only regret about leaving it to return to the United States, however, is that I didn't do it years sooner.

If you enjoyed reading about "California: Which Northern CA Counties are Most CCW Friendly??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!