How to chuck a bolt to be refaced?

PDA

JesseL
July 12, 2006, 04:57 PM
And don't say just wind up and throw it :rolleyes:

I'm trying to figure out how you're supposed to get a bolt chucked in a lathe to be refaced or have the bolt face enlarged. Seems like the handle being in the way presents a major obstacle. The only think I can think of is to make a mandrel that would fit down the center of the bolt and spin it while most of the bolt is spuportted by a steady rest. How do the professional gunsmiths handle this?

If you enjoyed reading about "How to chuck a bolt to be refaced?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mrmeval
July 12, 2006, 08:44 PM
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=1340&p=4810

Third_Rail
July 13, 2006, 10:09 AM
Usually, if the bolt is being refaced you're going to be replacing the bolt handle.

If not, what kind of bolt is it - I'm guessing not a MN or SMLE, since those can be disassembled.

JesseL
July 13, 2006, 11:04 AM
It's an '03 Sprinfield bolt. The handle has already been bent for scope clearance. I need to open it up to magnum dimensions.

As an alternative to using the lathe I considered using the rotary table on the milling machine to do the cut. Bad idea?

ogree
July 14, 2006, 07:00 AM
steady rest

medmo
July 15, 2006, 04:15 AM
Steady rest, dial indicator and 4 jaw chuck.... plus patience. Using a center in the tailstock lined up with the firing pin hole will help get you started to dialing it in.

JesseL
July 15, 2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the help.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=42219&stc=1&d=1152994216

Next question, how do you usually enlarge the space where the cartridge slides up the bolt face and into position?

redneckrepairs
July 15, 2006, 04:19 PM
JesseL can you put knurlers on that steady rest and get custom jewling at the same time ??? ( i know i am bad ) and btw thanks for the pics

If you enjoyed reading about "How to chuck a bolt to be refaced?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!