Smith & Wesson Sigma Have they fixed it?

PDA

Snarlingiron
July 14, 2006, 12:34 AM
Ok, I have heard all sorts of nasty, ugly, unkind things about the Smith and Wesson Sigma. It is quite obviously a Glock copy, and I am the penultimate Glock fan. I understand that Smith was even sued by Glock for patent infringment, and lost. Part of the settlement was that Smith could keep making them. They have been on sale at several local shops for $319.00. WOW, that is cheap! So, my question is are these things worth that low price, or are they so miserable that the money would be better spent on a Glock, or a whatever it is that melts your butter.

BTW, I HAVE searched and found little that directly talks about the Sigma. It's probably been discussed, but maybe too long ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson Sigma Have they fixed it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Warren
July 14, 2006, 12:47 AM
I hope they did because there was a fellow at the gunshop the other day who just bought one and is planning to use it as a CCW.

10-Ring
July 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
:D I haven't been able to handle one personally, but they have refined it some from what I've read & they now call it the M&P :D

Just kidding, I couldn't resist :D

ugaarguy
July 14, 2006, 12:55 AM
Snarlington,

The Sigmas are great in terms of ergonomics and price. It's a great pistol ruined by a horrible trigger. Spongier than a Glock and very heavy - at least 8lbs in my experience. For the money I'd look at other options. What are you looking for exactly? Let us know and we'll get you ideas.

Srigs
July 14, 2006, 12:55 AM
I have a 40VE which is their 3rd generation Sigma and no issues or failures of any kind in 3000+ rounds down range.

It has much better ergonomics than a Glock IMHO, 100% reliable, 14+1 or 15+1 rounds in 40 or 16+1 or 17+1 in 9mm, and is the right price.

Buy it and dry fire it a ton and shoot about 500 rounds to smooth out the trigger. It will make you a better shooter of all your handguns after you master the heavier trigger and keeping the front sight on target.

I use it for an IDPA, HD and winter time carry gun! :cool:

Snarlingiron
July 14, 2006, 12:30 PM
What are you looking for exactly? Let us know and we'll get you ideas.

Not really looking for anything in particular. I have a Glock 19 that I have had for about 10 months, and have put about 7000 rounds through it. Prior to that I had an FN Hi Power. The Glock trigger did take some getting used to, and I still have a tendancy to drop my first round. I just saw the Sigma, and my thinking is "Hey, if I can get a good Glock clone for about 1/2 the price, why not?"

My son is also fond of the Glock, and is looking to buy one.

fastbolt
July 14, 2006, 12:55 PM
We were told during a S&W pistol armorer's class that the Sigma line received some attention and production refinement a couple of years ago.

It's been a big seller for S&W when it comes to a standard, inexpensive polymer-framed pistol in either 9mm/.40 S&W, and they're able to sell it for bargain prices. I've never understood why more people don't demand the same sort of reduced pricing for Glocks in the commercial, non-L/E marketplace, FWIW.

I keep hearing that S&W is planning on continuing to produce the Sigma for those folks who don't want to spend the money on either a SW990L (which uses a more expensive Walther-produced, imported frame) or the newer, more expensive MP line.

I don't particularly care for the DAO trigger on them myself ...

Where the Sigma really shines is its slim grip profile (especially for a double column magazine pistol) and its excellent, natural pointing ergonomics.

1911user
July 14, 2006, 02:07 PM
Loved the sigma ergonomics and price. Hated the trigger and 3K dryfiring didn't help that much. Happily sold it. I would recommend a used 3rd generation S&W auto instead of a sigma.

When you hear the phrase "Once you master the trigger, you can shoot any pistol well", turn and run away. Don't look back, just run. That phrase is applied to sigmas quite often. It's not even close to the quality or adjustability of a glock trigger. You can have a glock with a 10 pound trigger if you really want one, but that isn't the only option nor the standard option.

Kayak TN
October 8, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'm not partial to any particular brand (guess I is jus ignint) but my local gun store was selling a Sigma 40VE for $300. I put a little over fifty rounds through it before I bought it and was happy. I shot another 200 rounds today and didn't have a single problem. I wanted a 1911, but they were out of my price range (as were the Glocks).

From what I've read, the heavy trigger was used because there is no safety on this pistol.

Majic
October 8, 2006, 10:45 PM
The "E" (Enhanced) series supposedly addressed the problems they had when they first came out.

salvador31c
October 9, 2006, 03:31 PM
SW40ve Its A Nice Gun I had polished out the slide to make it a little more fancey in hopes that if i liked the looks better i would try harder to like the trigger and the .40 round didn't work but all in all its still a good value gun but if i were to get a Sigma Again i would go for the 9mm unless they made a .45 the .40 round just aint for me YMMV

timothy75
October 9, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm always suprised by people who plan on doing liesure target shooting with a fighting pistol. I love light crisrp triggers on target and hunting guns but would never use a Sigma for either of those purposes just like I wouldnt CCW a 6 inch 357mag. All guns have their places and the Sigmas is fighting.I think its best used for CCW and running combat drills on the range. My friend has one and it shot just as well as my Kimber at 7 yards. Any trigger can be mastered and in a gunfight you wont know a 3.5lb trigger from a 12lb. So I never saw its heavy trigger as a disadvantage and think its a great buy. Good luck

October 9, 2006, 07:11 PM
With the M&P available, no reason to get a Sigma. M&P is an outstanding pistol btw.

confed sailor
October 10, 2006, 01:22 AM
when i saw the new m&p i noticed the trigger, it looked like the sigma's.

my buddy had a sigma, we liked to pattern it(if you dont hit him you will at least scare the poop out of him), truly a crappy trigger.

but s&w seems to have fixed the problem, i tried a m&p at the range, a very excellent pistol.

Skywarp
October 10, 2006, 01:32 AM
I dont see why youre complaining about the trigger! Its the S&W safety trigger, kids cant use the gun because their little fingers will break before the trigger does.

The E series still has the same crappytrigger.

confed sailor
October 10, 2006, 01:54 AM
lol just like the old lemon squeezer.

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 10, 2006, 05:28 PM
My two cents to this back from the dead thread:

I bought around the time they first came out. I didn't like the feel of a Glock and the Sigma felt pretty good. Unfortunately, it had a nasty habit of light strikes now and then. Even after two trips back for service, still had the same problem. Not what I would call a fighting gun. Since I couldn't trust it to go bang when it should, I got rid of it.

EdLaver
October 10, 2006, 06:04 PM
The sigma's are very good, cost efficient piece's, rugged, reliable, and accurate. I had one and put 500 rounds with no problem. I only traded it due the the hefty trigger pull...10-12lbs I think, buts thats the only thing I didnt like about it. For some though, its a good safety feature considering there is no external safety.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson Sigma Have they fixed it?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!