Any info. on American Shooter TV show?

PDA

DAL
January 4, 2003, 12:43 PM
Since at least last year, the TV show American Shooter has been airing nothing but reruns. Actually, they have been calling the show The Best of American Shooter. Has productions shut down on the show? We don't have all that many shows pertaining to guns and shooting out there, and I'd hate to see this one bite the dust.
DAL

If you enjoyed reading about "Any info. on American Shooter TV show?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tomkatz
January 4, 2003, 01:37 PM
I've noticed the same thing and I've seen them all now. I really hope they are making some new ones, it's a great show...tom

Cal4D4
January 4, 2003, 02:12 PM
Jim Scoutten was on the old TFL and would post occasionally. I emailed him an invite to come over to TheHighRoad. Haven't heard from him yet.

762x51
January 4, 2003, 03:58 PM
I really wish my cableco would pick up OLN so I could at least see the reruns. :fire:

para.2
January 4, 2003, 06:21 PM
Read a post awhile back on another board, (can't find it in the archives just now) from Jim Scouten, saying something about new shows being filmed, and planned for airing "after the new year"IIRC.

10-Ring
January 4, 2003, 06:23 PM
I had to stop watching American Shooter when they left TNN because my cableco doesn't have whatever network they're on...sad too hear the show is fading away.

Cawdor
January 4, 2003, 07:36 PM
American Shooter (http://www.JimScoutten.com/Guns/Gunschedule/gunschedule.html) has a web site. Apparently, the "Best of" includes some new segments.

Gary H
January 4, 2003, 07:54 PM
Anyone seen the new NRA show..is it American Rifleman?

thumbtack
January 4, 2003, 07:58 PM
I watched it this morning before I came to work and it did have some new segments and old segements.

treeprof
January 4, 2003, 08:00 PM
I saw the new NRA show and thought it was abysmal. WAY to many comercials, and overly long intros to each segment, some of which were these really short little soundbytes. Maybe 20% of the show had real content. I won't be tuning in regularly.

JohnKSa
January 5, 2003, 12:23 AM
Some of the shows have a new Gun Tech segment edited into an old show.

As I recall, the show has an odd filming schedule. The new shows air in the spring and then you get reruns the rest of the year while they film the new shows. Also, remember that Scoutten also does Car & Driver so he has to divide his time.

That's better than it used to be. It used to go off the air for a few months each year back when it was on TNN.

Steven Mace
January 5, 2003, 01:34 AM
Jim Scoutten (http://www.jimscoutten.com/) also has his own website.

Steve Mace

Jim Scoutten
January 11, 2003, 04:38 PM
Three pieces of news:

The future of the show was very much in doubt until about three weeks ago. The Network (OLN) has now given me the contract to continue the series, so the reluctant production company is out and the shows will be new again in 2003.

Second: I'm getting some e-mails that local cable systems have just now added OLN to their schedule of channels. Contracts do typically run by the calendar year, so some of you might want to check your channel guide (on the cable system) to see if you may have an OLN surprise in your area, too.

Third: Let me hear what you'd like to see this year. OLN want's more shows than ever before, so nominations are open for shooting competitions, significant individuals for profile stories, and for a new teaching segment, like the ones we did with Rob Leatham about two years ago. (It's still running in the re-runs)

So that's what's happening,

Jim Scoutten :cool: (Shooting Glasses)

Bruz
January 11, 2003, 05:33 PM
Hi Jim! Welcome to the new site...congrads on the new contract, and good for us! What I would like to "hear" more of is your voice introduceing new guns and products. When do you think the new shows will air? Thanks and have a great year.

Jim Scoutten
January 11, 2003, 05:41 PM
OLN would like to have them yesterday, but we're still getting organized to shoot and edit new shows. We need some time and we need some events (you'll notice it's quiet right now.) So we are probably going to compromise on having the first shows ready by June.

Jim

MacPelto
January 11, 2003, 06:10 PM
You should do a Bio of Jeff Cooper, I hate to say it, before it's too late.

Jim Scoutten
January 11, 2003, 06:18 PM
A profile of the Colonel is currently running in the best of series.

Good idea, though.;)

larryw
January 11, 2003, 06:43 PM
Great news!

Agreed on Col. Cooper: more please. Also would like to see segments on Teddy Roosevelt and other notable shooters of the 20th century.

Not sure if the network lawyers would let a gunsmith segment fly, but perhaps segments on maintenance, tuning, and "what to look for in..." like this thread (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816).

And reloading is always a welcome topic. ;)

Jim Scoutten
January 11, 2003, 07:04 PM
That's fantastic information!

Who is Jim Marsh and where does he live? He needs to do this for our camera!!!

JS

Jim Scoutten
January 11, 2003, 07:08 PM
Here's Change Number One:

The American Shooter Website belongs to the production company that is NOT going to continue to produce the show.

Instead, OLN has given me that assignment so I'm putting together a new production company.

The point: The American Shooter website will not have any new information on the new shows.

Instead, we'll be using my site for communication:

www.JimScoutten.com

So start with that.

Then start telling me what you want to see.

Nominations are open.

Jim

MolonLabe416
January 11, 2003, 07:19 PM
Segments on the top trainers and schools. Jeff Cooper, I know you've done one on him already, Clint Smith, Randy Cain, Pat Rogers, Bill Jeans, et al., Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc.

Glad to see you're doing a Rob Latheam type training series. Good for newer shooters.

SHOT, SCI, Knob Creek, SWAT 3 gun match, etc.

An armed citizen spot, though not PC, would be good.

I've enjoyed the show and look forward to the new ones.

PS - If you need a side-kick, I'm available... ;)

Ewok
January 11, 2003, 07:33 PM
Who is Jim Marsh and where does he live? He needs to do this for our camera!!!Jim March lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. Here's his website: http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/

SW9mm
January 11, 2003, 08:22 PM
id like to see idpa and concealed carry segments. i enjoy the segments on old military guns as well.

Roadrunner
January 11, 2003, 08:55 PM
Jim, it's great to see you take the time to post on The High Road and respond to our emails. I've enjoyed your Rob Latheam training sessions and Camp Perry trips.

I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents. I won't mind seeing:

Maybe add a "Curio & Relic Firearm" review.
Expand/lengthen your "Gun Tech" spots.
Add'l competition training episodes like the Rob Latheam training aids.
Reviews or profiles of gunsmiths that specialize in a particular area (hi-power, ARs, AKs, FALS, handguns).

tomkatz
January 11, 2003, 09:00 PM
Jim....really enjoy your show, gun tech is always good, really enjoyed the machine gun shoots, living in washington state we can only live vicariously through your show. Bob Munden is the best! Keep up the good work....tom

JohnKSa
January 11, 2003, 10:30 PM
Segments on:
Ed McGivern.
G. David Tubbs

A do it yourself gunsmithing segment would be nice if you can figure out how to work it. Not necessarily something as complicated as restocking a rifle, but maybe something like scope mounting hits. Installing aftermarket parts upgrades, etc.

Also, I think you can do more with the show if you don't always constrain it to the typical template. Maybe you could do a few special interest shows each season that don't have Great Guns & Gun Tech segments.

I know you've stayed away from hunting, but it might be interesting to do a show now and then on African Hunting, or something similar. That's something I've always wanted to do but will probably never get the chance--next best thing would be to watch someone else do it.

The "Father & Son" shoot at Camp Perry was a neat show, I watched it twice last night. I know you narrated some info on the shooting performance of the various shooters, but it would have been more interesting if we could have seen the targets somehow.

The military has lots of cool guns--you might be able to figure out how to get them to let you come shoot some of them or at least watch them shoot them.

You could probably do another segment on Dillon & his neat toys. I enjoyed the last one and wouldn't mind seeing more of the same.

As an occasional alternate to Gun Tech, it might be interesting to see someone like Leatham, Munden or one of the other shooting stars review a new gun. I've often wondered how this or that gun will shoot in the hands of a pro... This might get complicated given that a lot of these guys are associated with a particular gun maker by contract.

Great show.

Let us know who to email to make sure the guys at the top know we like it...

John

uabfan
January 12, 2003, 09:00 AM
How about combining your two interest....cars and guns. Something like pulling up to the range in a new Silverado SS, give us a little something about the truck, then blast away with firearm of choice.

Kind of one stop shopping for those of us that think you have the TWO best jobs in America.:D

Raistlin
January 12, 2003, 10:07 AM
Jim - great to see you've joined the High Road! I'm looking forward to more great AS shows this year!

FJC
January 12, 2003, 10:57 AM
How about some profile spots on some of the top holster/leather makers? Like Lou Alessi, or Milt Sparks?

As a lot of people have or are getting concealed pistol permits, perhaps some more content geared toward that would be good. Things like some training classes like LFI-I, segments on small popular concealed pistols, etc.

Factory tours would be good, too - segments showing the production facility of major manufacturers. Perhaps take a popular pistol (1911, Beretta 92, etc) and follow its production in a plant from raw material until finished product.

redneck2
January 12, 2003, 11:17 AM
there was another great thread on TFL about evaluating rifle scopes and optics. That would make a fantastic segment. It'd make you life easier 'cause you could virtually pull it right right out of the archives....same as the revolver one. It was somewhat technical and complete, and yet very helpful.

an ongoing "tips" section on reloading. Maybe a few minutes each week on packin' your own.

Actually, you could go back to TFL and look thru the old threads. The most common ones would make great material....45 Colt, 45-70, reloading, long range shooting. etc seemed to generate a lot of interest. Interview or do a segment on Tony Boren for benchrest. Bill Cody Museum, etc.

Different segments of shooting and how to get started, how much it costs. I always thought High Power and/or metallic silhouette would be fun, but I have no idea where to even start on some of these ventures and what it takes. I suspect it's less than most people think, and maybe we can expand shooting sports.

We are fortunate enough to have input here and at TFL from some of the best shooters in the world. Seems like you have a good resource to pull from.

JackDRipper
January 12, 2003, 11:32 AM
I would like to see some gun reviews of moderately priced pistols and good deals on surplus guns like the Makarov. Guns that all of us can afford and are great to shoot.
TV gun shows are probably like the gun publications where you heavily review and promote the sponsers guns. Paid advertising? Too many reviews of expensive top end 1911's and the sponsers product lines, Bennelli, S&W and Walther.
JR

thumbtack
January 12, 2003, 01:50 PM
I would like to see the following:

AR vs AK

9mm vs 45

Glock vs 1911

More Bob Munden and Tom Knapp.

Jim Scoutten
January 12, 2003, 06:40 PM
Lots of good ideas in this thread.

I'm making notes.

Jim

F=ma
January 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
How 'bout a "Teaching Teachers" segment(s), showing the best ways to bring in, instruct, and coach newbies, with emphasis on correcting problems. Perhaps feature an NRA instructor. Handgun, rifle, shotgun could be addressed in different shows.

Gordon
January 12, 2003, 10:19 PM
Bill Jordan and Thell Reed I know some decent quality 16mm film exists of their exihibtions that could be re- mastered. You could feature some of Classic gunsmiths like: Swenson and Austin Behlert (who's still around) ect. Show some Nitro expresses and test firings. Do a segment on K-31 Swiss rifles that are flooding country. Good to have a professional front line guy here on a great forum.:)

JerryN
January 12, 2003, 11:08 PM
I'm still kicking myself in disbelief. I found a totally cool shooting program on mainstream television.

American Shooter is Must See TV. I break contracts, miss meetings, leave my kids at the bus-stop so I can see American Shooter.

I will buy one of everything advertised on American Shooter so that the program continues forever. Thank you Jim, thank you OLN, your agents, producers, the Academy... ahem....

How about some specialized shows where you launch newbies into AR-15 ownership and maintenance. Pistol feeding and caring. What about Militec-1 vs. CLP? I still don't know what to use so I'm doing my own experiments - militec on my berettas and clp on my AR.

How about comparing optics? red-dot vs whatever-the-current-electronic-gadget is?

How about settling once and for all the goofy controversy of whether the military DOES or does NOT like the M9? You know, the man in the street kind of stuff. There is too much drivel on the internet for us to make sense of the issue.

Before he left office, one of Senator Bob Smith's objectives was to make concealed carry permits valid nation-wide. Whats going on with that effort now?

Along those lines, whats happening nation-wide with legal efforts to sue the crap out of commie state governments which say we cannot Keep And Bear Arms when we travel through or to their states? Those laws are clearly contrary to the Bill of Rights.

Whatever topics you produce... I'll watch em. And my kids and my wife will watch them too. And everybody else whose arm I can bend will watch them. We need MANY more shows like yours on the air.

Gary H
January 12, 2003, 11:56 PM
I have always liked your support for women in the shooting sports. Also, love to see women refusing to be victims. These topics provide encouragement for my better half.. Thanks..

Gary H
January 12, 2003, 11:56 PM
Sorry .. site froze..double post

Gary H
January 12, 2003, 11:57 PM
Now I go back and find triple post..I'll be here all night hitting delete...

Gary H
January 13, 2003, 12:01 AM
confused:

Gary H
January 13, 2003, 12:03 AM
These last two appeared after signing off..beam me up

Guy B. Meredith
January 13, 2003, 12:29 AM
I like the idea of shows dedicated to a topic with plenty of detail--like why the Remington 870 vs the Mossberg 590 for a particular use, other topics of constant conversation in these boards as to what to buy/use for differnt purposes. If Munden, Jerry Miculek, Leatham and other notables did the information sharing complete with demos so much the better.

I would like to see detailed introductions to the different sports or fields of interest, not just the competition, but details on how to get started, detailed discussion and pros and cons of equipment and a plan for advancing as the budget allows. This could include hunting with a choice of shotguns, rifles, handguns for the terrain and game, Bullseye, PPC, IPSC, rifle benchrest, etc.

I haven't had my tv hooked up for quite a while, but that is because I need value programs to make it worth my while and American Shooter is on the short list.

Women shooting is a definite must as well as discussion of unique organizations and activities like Ken Blanchard's.

mack
January 13, 2003, 02:00 AM
Jim,

We are truly not worthy - have got to say that reading your post on American Shooter really made my night - I watched the reruns three times this weekend. And I am dying with anticipation for the new shows.

First thank you for your efforts on American Shooter - it is the best show on TV about firearms and the only show that gets a truly positive message out about all the shooting sports and gun ownership. Not only that but it's simply a good show on its own merits.

What would I like to see?

Segments on:

Tubbs - the guy can shoot a rifle like no one else

Guns of the legendary hunters of Africa, Capstick did alot of nice short biographies on the legendary hunters

A segment on national CCW - through the good faith clause - like drivers licenses

A shoot off with various handguns with leatham, munden, and miclick?

Segments that feature newbies being intoduced to the shooting sports and that give encouragement and tips to viewers to invite new shooters and give them a positive hands on experience.

Father son or mother daughter - introductions to shooting

Segments on CCW - that talk about its utility and availabilty - while avoiding political arguments

Have a pro take a newbie through a shooting experience - like with SASS, IDPA, ect... have a top pro take a total newbie - through choosing the gun and equipment, to basic shooting & safety, to participating in a competition.

More segments featuring women shooters maybe a special women and guns show, covering everything from CCW to Hunting, to the shooting sports.

A show on the evolution of the 1911 - a brief recap on its invention - but the primary focus on its continued evolution and modern utility. This would go through its role in modern combat pistol to custom CCW and race guns.

A segment on recoil - featuring newbies firing Barret 82A1, the weatherby .460, ect...

Segments on how to use optics, picking and using the right scope, red dots, night sights, ect....

Segment on night shooting

Segments on evaluating firearms - from a shooting point of view - ie trigger pull, ergonomics, sight acquisition, reliability - what do the pros in different disciplines look for when it comes to - CCW, long range rifle shooting, IDPA, IPSC, SASS, Military firearms, ect...

How to segments on what to do to make you stock gun into an above average - CCW piece, competition piece, accurate shooter, reliable, ect.... not necessarily home gun smithing but more along the lines of what can you have done by a competent smith or what accessories are worth it.

Since the Assualt Weapon and Mag limit ban are coming up how about a segment that merely shows what is banned vs. what is not - thus demonstrating through pictures and by having a pro shoot a banned one and then a non-banned version, the idiocy of the law - no need for any heavy political message - just demonstrate by showing and shooting

Teaching segments like the ones with leatham - but in all the shooting disciplines

Segments that show people going through training at the famous shooting schools - gunsite, thunder ranch, blackwater; rifle and pistol training.

I was really touched when I read or saw some of the pro-shooters - who help train our military special forces - talk about their feelings about the men and women they helped train - going into harms way - that is truly a story that should be told - how civilian shooters help train the men and women who are going to war to fight terrorism and protect our freedom. That would show how the NRA's original mission is still relevant today - to see to it that the unorganized militia knows how to shoot and how the value of that training in turn results in trained citizens helping to train our military elite.

A segment on armed airline pilots - their training and talking to some of them about it - without even saying it, it will make the point that 9/11 wouldn't have happened if the pilots had been armed.

Okay, that's all I can think of off the top of my head for now - keep the great guns, gun tech, and exhibition shooting segments for most if not all shows.

Oh, how about an hour show? ;)

bamf
January 13, 2003, 02:22 AM
Idea 1

How about more shotgun/clays stuff? Like a focus on Sporting Clays, many women I know have a good time at a typical pistol/rifle range but have a awesome time shooting sporting clays.

You can do a tech segment on all the various aspects...new sights, recoil reducers, various new shotguns coming down the pipe etc. It'd be fun. You could have that trip shotgunner, I forget his name, the one who can hand throw 9 clays and nail them all do more trip shots.

Idea 2

How about more focus episodes on certain gun makers, I remember seeing one on Benelli...how about HK or Ruger or SW...that would be interesting.

Idea 3

I recall you did a show on guns of WWII, how about a war series on each of the major wars on of the US, ie Vietnam, Korea, Gulf, Civil War and Revolutionary War.

You have a great show, keep up the good work.

swingset
January 13, 2003, 02:48 AM
I'd like to see more mention of C&R weapons, as they're largely ignored or passed off as nothing but fodder for amateur gunsmiths (which is HORRIBLE to C&R collectors).

Maybe a profile of classic military arms, or focusing on the many collectors and shooting associations of these old warhorses we shoot and enjoy.

tomkatz
January 13, 2003, 02:49 AM
Jim....a man I met on another forum spent considerable time in the homes and in the company of Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith, spanning alot of years. He hunted with them, they both autographed copies of their books for him, something they didn't do very often. He has never been interviewed about this nor has he written anything outside of stories he has written for the forum. If this could be worked into a show it might be something really unique. He is also a very knowledgable gun guy in his own right.....tom

ruger357
January 13, 2003, 07:07 AM
Welcome Jim,
What is the chance of having an American Shooter marathon down the line?

Monte Harrison
January 13, 2003, 09:03 AM
1. Maybe a little more emphasis on IDPA, and concealed carry.
2. A little more emphasis on 2nd amendment rights, including news items on that front. Someone else suggested a kind of Armed Citizen segment.
3. A minority and/or female co-host. You could have them handling issues directly of interest to non-white-male shooters, or just covering the same things you do.
EDIT: If you do add a female co-host, DON'T pick someone who used to be on Baywatch. The idea is to make the shooting world more female-friendly, not turn them off.
4. A C&R segment would be great.

Of course, to do all this you will need to expand the show to an hour, if OLN will go for that.

chicago jerry
January 13, 2003, 10:42 AM
How about a segment on 50 bmg's?

seeker_two
January 13, 2003, 11:13 AM
More classic gun reports. I'm sure you could get John Taffin or Brian Pierce (sp) to do a few spots.

Simple, DIY gunsmithing & troubleshooting tips. Even simple stuff such as how to clean a firearm would be popular.

More father/son shoots. Your last one at the rifle clinic was enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a great show. Keep it up...

Fly320s
January 13, 2003, 11:13 AM
All of the above ideas are good, but many won't fit into a 30 minute show.

Make it an hour of guns, please.

seeker_two
January 13, 2003, 11:14 AM
More classic gun reports. I'm sure you could get John Taffin or Brian Pierce (sp) to do a few spots.

Simple, DIY gunsmithing & troubleshooting tips. Even simple stuff such as how to clean a firearm would be popular.

More father/son shoots. Your last one at the rifle clinic was enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a great show. Keep it up...

Fly320s
January 13, 2003, 11:16 AM
edited.

Whoa, very slow double-tap.

DonP
January 13, 2003, 11:55 AM
Here's another vote for C&R profiles.

The segments you've done on things like the "Grease Gun" and other WW II weapons.

With so many of us collecting these, as C&R license holders, or just plain interested people in affordable guns. It should be a high interest subject.

Eveything from evaluating to restoring to shooting matches that are exclusive to Mil Surp rifles.

Just my opinion.

Don P.

thebaldguy
January 14, 2003, 01:16 AM
My cable company has just added OLN to our basic line up.

Life is good.

How about this for a show idea?

Shooting around the country! You could show different ranges and shooting places around the country. If budgets are no problem, you could travel all 50 states...

Just a suggestion! Keep up the good work!

Ken
January 14, 2003, 08:21 AM
Love the show. With my TiVo I record never miss an episode.

I'd like to see some reloading segments. You've got that nice setup behind you during Gun Tech, but I haven't seen it used yet. :)

Definitely more Munden. He is fantastic. So are the military weaponry segments, like the civil war arms and the use of the shotgun in battle.

And, keep up with topics like the father and son shooting and the teens shooting clays. Yours is a powerful medium to introduce more to the shooting sports, which can only serve to preserve the RKBA.

FlyinGN
January 14, 2003, 08:39 AM
Jim, not to change the subject.. but ..
I watch you on American shooter AND C&D tv. Now I hear that you are not hosting C&D anymore? WHY? You are a fantastic host.!

Frank

Marshall
January 14, 2003, 08:42 AM
Jim, just alot of gun reviews!

I tune in to see different guns and how they perform, all the other ideas are interesting and you will no doubt have most of them in time. But, the guns are where my interest lies!

Thanks for asking!

Marshall

Loach
January 14, 2003, 08:46 AM
The only idea I've had that hasn't already been posted would be a profile of Massad Ayoob

January 14, 2003, 09:07 AM
I don’t know about the rest of you but the show took a nose dive when they featured Buford Tune with Apps.He has one of the worst reputations in the Nashville area.Did anyone see the segment where he allowed a student to point a gun directly at him?Dosent this break one of the most sacred safety rules?

Jim,what where you thinking?You went from Thunder Ranch and Gunsite to Apps?

I hope the next year will be a better one for the show.

spacemanspiff
January 14, 2003, 12:13 PM
thebaldguy has a great idea: take your show around the country! but if you come up here, make it mid-summer. your camera crew probably wouldnt enjoy spending a couple days in mid-winter on an outdoor range with windchills down to -20.

i'd also have to cast a vote for some of the more simple stuff, like maintenance of rifles, shotguns, pistols, as well as some introductions to C&R.

PKAY
January 14, 2003, 03:09 PM
I love the show, but last week the digital TV lineup listed it and showed bull riding instead. Continued to list it on line while showing bull riding. What gives? (BTW, those bull riders most certainly will never be able to have children! )

If you enjoyed reading about "Any info. on American Shooter TV show?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!