Millenium Pro worth wait?

PDA

Grayrock
May 3, 2003, 01:54 AM
I want a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145. I understand it won't be out for a bit. Is it going to be worth my wait? I am in a position to buy now. 2nd choice is a Firestorm Mini-45 (Bersa origin). Should I wait or get what I can now? Anyone know what retail is going to look like on the Taurus? Any idea when exactly it will be out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Millenium Pro worth wait?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PakWaan
May 3, 2003, 08:33 AM
Not sure of a release date, but I've been told "shortly". If the new version of the PT-145 is as refined as the job they did on the PT-111, it will be a good gun. See my range report a few posts earlier in this section on the PT-111.

michiganfan
May 3, 2003, 05:52 PM
My PT 145 has been a good gun. Made in March 2002. Had a problem with the retaining pins backing out. never came all the way out but would move a quarter or inch or so just had to remember to push them back in every fifty rounds or so. Sent it to Taurus. They sent it back with new pinsall cleaned and lubed. Three hundred rounds later it is just flying along zero problems..

Forseti
May 3, 2003, 08:08 PM
My stainless PT-145 (not a pro model) has been great, reliable, and suprisingly accurate. Very surprisingly accurate. More accurate than my old PT-92, Sig 229, and BTA-90 9mm pistols. Not as accurate as my P7, however.

Looks like the pro model won't have the potential of having the safety lever shear off, which can happen in the design of the PT-145 if the safety is in a "halfway" position. (it doesn't want to stay in a halfway position, so it is tricky to have this occur, but the potential is there)

SouthpawShootr
May 3, 2003, 08:50 PM
Anybody know if the Pro models use the same mags as the regular? Will they be discontinuing the regular ones?

PakWaan
May 3, 2003, 09:39 PM
The Pro model does NOT use the same magazine as the older Millenium. At least not on the 9mm, which is the only one that is available yet. I tried to get an original mag to fit my new Pro model and no luck. Looking at the Taurus photos, though, the older PT-145 magazine does look very much like the new Pro version, which is not the case with the other guns in the series, the PT-111, 132 and 138. I guess you'll have to wait until it comes out.

I was told by Taurus that they are not discontinuing the older version - however, someone else with contacts at Taurus told me they were planning to phase out the older models. With the new Pro version having an MSRP of only $20-30 more than the older version, I can't see them keeping two guns which are essentially the same except for some improvements. I suspect that once all the Pro versions get released they will wind up getting rid of the older models.

SouthpawShootr
May 3, 2003, 10:52 PM
That would be my call as well. The price/size difference between the 2 are negligible. Seems to me the old pistols will affect the sales of the new. They'll probably allow the old line to stay until they get a feel for how the new one is doing and then discontinue the old line. I'm planning to get a new PT145 soon (as soon as my 30 days are up) and wring the crap out of it to see if I can get it to crack. In fact, I've already ordered a spare mag - that's why I asked. If I see a Pro gun before I get the 145, I want to be sure that what I buy will work with what I have.

If you enjoyed reading about "Millenium Pro worth wait?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!