Civilian MP-5s?

PDA

Combat-wombat
May 3, 2003, 01:18 AM
Is there any way I could get a civilan legal semi-auto MP-5/MP-5 clone? I know that MP-5s are definitely illegal in the PRK, but once I get up to Oregon, can I get anything like that? I just love the MP-5, and I just need to get one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Civilian MP-5s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
May 3, 2003, 01:26 AM
Machineguns are legal in OR. You can purchase the equivalent of the MP5, a registered HK-94 converted to fully automatic. They are running around $10,000 right now. You could track down a straight pre-ban HK-94 semi-automatic if you don't want to do the machinegun thing. These look really stupid with the 16" barrel to make them legal. If you get one, register it as a SBR and chop the barrel off.

Justin
May 3, 2003, 02:42 AM
There are still a bunch of the old HK SP89's floating around out there. Basically it was nothing more than a semi-auto version of the MP5K. While they don't cost as much as a full-auto MP5, they still command a pretty hefty four-figure price.

I believe that S&W also made a variant of the SP89 as well.

More info here:
http://www.hkpro.com/sp89.htm

SKN
May 3, 2003, 04:29 AM
Oregon statute law even permits residents to possess NFA weapons, however, it would require the approval of the CLEO of the county of residence who must sign your your ATF paperwork. Not likely to happen in any but one of the coastal or eastern Oregon counties.

Obtaining a semi-auto long barrel clone like the SW-5 involves not much more than going to a gun show to find one, laying down the cash and getting through the phoned in insta-check.

Lars
May 3, 2003, 10:47 AM
If you settle in the portland area I know that Clackamas and Washington counties have been approving Class 3 stuff. I don't think that Multnomah county is so friendly.

Lars

Hkmp5sd
May 3, 2003, 12:29 PM
While it sucks to have to do so, you can incorporate relatively easy and bypass the CLEO signature altogether. It has it's pros and cons, but is better than nothing.

MeekandMild
May 3, 2003, 12:32 PM
These MP-5 threads always remind me of an old comedy routine I heard in the 70's (I believe it was Flip Wilson or Bill Cosby). The comedian told about how whenever he went to a party all his friends would spend the night getting nowhere trying to score points with the prettiest girls. They would waste hours trying to get these hotties' attention. All the while the commedian would be under the stairs making love to the ugliest girl at the party (http://www.vectorarms.com/UZI_Page.htm)

In the link I would call your attention to a $4800 SMG and a $900 SBR Uzi clone which some lucky batchelor could be plunking down the transfer tax on while his buddies were still saving their lunch for an MP-5 wannabee. :neener:

Out of a sense of fairness I must mention these same folks sell an HK style rifle (http://www.vectorarms.com/hk_rifles.htm).

Blain
May 3, 2003, 12:56 PM
I don't understand what makes an MP5 better or more desirable than a .45 semi auto (or FA if you can get it) Thompson? I mean they both fire .45 ACP! Infact the Thompson is more controlable because it is heavier. What makes the MP5 so desirable, looks?

Hkmp5sd
May 3, 2003, 01:12 PM
The MP5 is a 9mm submachinegun. There have been 10mm and .40S&W versions released, but the majority of civilian owned are 9mm. The MP5 and Thompson are two different classes of submachineguns. Kind of like a '57 Chevy vs. a Turbo Porsche. They both go fast, but are very different under the hood.

A couple of reasons MP5s are so popular are their very visible law enforcement/counter terrorist profiles and because there are a lot more pre-86 transferable ones than there are Thompsons. Thompsons also cost a LOT more because of their rareness and history.

illuminatus99
May 3, 2003, 01:34 PM
the HK 94 is a semi-auto MP5 clone, the only major difference is the longer barrel at 16"

here's a preban one, it's a lot more expensive than other ones I've seen though, I usually see them at gun shows for around $
$1,500

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=4251324

Tamara
May 3, 2003, 01:44 PM
...because a Thompson is a long, heavy gun that fires from an open bolt. (Closed bolt operation is one of the big selling points on the MP5 to LE or Anti-Terrorist folks; more conducive to accuracy in a no-shoot target rich environment.) For a personal toy? Buy the one you like the looks of.

If you enjoyed reading about "Civilian MP-5s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!