One of my guns made me a little sad today

PDA

offthepaper
July 14, 2006, 07:07 PM
A few weeks ago I bought from a private owner at a show an Russian M44 that appeared VERY clean. It was smeared in cosmoline, but the metal finish, condition of wood, and cheap price ($60) was just more than I could resist. I've been very anxious to get to the range so I could see just how good a deal I got. Well..... after firing the first round which never even hit the paper at 50 yds, I was unable to cycle the bolt to eject the casing. Finally, I pounded with my fist the bolt free and was able to remove the casing. I tried a second shot, same results, not on the paper and again had to manhandle tthe bolt around to remove the casing. About this time you get that little sqirm in your stomach that reminds you, you get what you pay for. :banghead: Not to knock Mosins though. I have a 91/30 that is as straight a shooter as anything in the toy chest. Just was expecting a little more joy from that one.:(

If you enjoyed reading about "One of my guns made me a little sad today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clark
July 14, 2006, 07:19 PM
I got a very clean M44 from BIG5 for $60 last year.

The chamber had a big rusty pit, and I am sure that cases would have got hung up.

I set the barrel back and cut the chamber forward.

I re cut the extractor rellef on the barrel breech.

I have not shot it yet.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24143

medmo
July 15, 2006, 04:09 AM
I also got one from BIG5. Screami'n deal. The cosmo was everywhere including innards, (bore & chamber). Have you tried scrubbing bore and chamber with solvent yet? Mine was filthy and I scrubbed it out before taking it to the range.

asknight
July 16, 2006, 02:30 AM
A treatment of a .45cal bronze brush with liberal amounts of Hoppe's #9 run by a Black & Decker 3/8" drill has cured many o' Mosin's chamber woes.

If you enjoyed reading about "One of my guns made me a little sad today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!