Winchester M70 Barrel Swap

PDA

spencerhut
July 15, 2006, 01:24 PM
I got a free M70 in 25-06. It's in rough shape, the stock has been hacked and some moron cut the barrel down to the legal minimum with a hacksaw. The trigger is nice and the action seems to be in very good condition. I'd like to swap the barrel out to something else, not sure what. . . How hard is it to swap a barrel on a M70?

Thanks,

Spencer

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M70 Barrel Swap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coltdriver
July 15, 2006, 01:40 PM
It is not particularly hard to do, but it is almost always beyond the ability of an individual who is not a gunsmith.

There is usually a special fitting to put the receiver into so that it is not destroyed when you put another special tool on the barrel and remove it.

Putting a replacement barrel on also means getting the headspace right. That usually involves more gunsmith skills and usually some machining.

You can send it off and get a pretty decent barrel mounted on it for about $500.00. You may be able to find a used servicable barrel at a gunshow for a reasonable sum but you will still have to have it professionally mounted. If the headspace is too great then an additional thread needs to be cut. If you have a local smith take it over and ask what it would cost to get a barrel mounted.

Depending on what year your receiver is this may be a worthwhile pursuit. I have seen lots of stocks for model 70's at gun shows for $50 to $75. The trick is to figure out exactly which year of receiver you have as the stocks do vary between some years.

You have to make a judgement call here. There is a high and a low dollar amount that you will spend getting to a working rifle. It may easily be the case that you will spend more than the cost of a new rifle. It may also easily be the case that you can create something unique and of a greater value to you.

hoghunting
July 15, 2006, 01:55 PM
Contact www.ershawbarrels.com They make very good barrels and also install barrels. You can get it done for $200-$250.

spencerhut
July 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
Good link! Thanks . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M70 Barrel Swap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!