CONVERT 22LR TO 22 MAG?

PDA

Meadhall
July 16, 2006, 03:54 PM
How difficult/feasible would it be to rechamber a Remington 514 to 22 magnum? Can the action handle the additional pressure?

If you enjoyed reading about "CONVERT 22LR TO 22 MAG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
July 16, 2006, 04:34 PM
No, it isn't strong enough.

And the bore is too small. Most people apparently don't know it but the 22 mag uses a slightly larger bore. On two cylinder guns the bore is mag size so accuracy often suffers with LR cylinder in place.

OldSchooler
July 16, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hard and you can buy a new one for less.

steveno
July 16, 2006, 08:22 PM
considering the difference in length there isn't going to be enough bolt travel either

redneck2
July 16, 2006, 08:24 PM
so what you're saying is, other than that, it would work great??

;)

OldSchooler
July 16, 2006, 08:44 PM
"No, it isn't strong enough. And the bore is too small. Most people apparently don't know it but the 22 mag uses a slightly larger bore. On two cylinder guns the bore is mag size so accuracy often suffers with LR cylinder in place."

"You can buy a new one for less."

"...considering the difference in length there isn't going to be enough bolt travel either."

so what you're saying is, other than that, it would work great??
Exacta-mundo...;)

mc223
July 16, 2006, 10:11 PM
If in fact the bore is larger there would be less resistance to the bullet, thus reduced pressure, thus less case thrust, thus, other than the bolt travel issue why not?

Edit to retract. thought process interupted.

bhk
July 16, 2006, 10:49 PM
mc223,

You have that backwards. The mag. bullet (and barrel) diameter is larger, therefore you would be forcing the larger mag. bullet through the smaller .22lr barrel of his rifle and increasing pressure.

mc223
July 17, 2006, 12:24 AM
I just measured a 22 mag cartridge bullet dia is .224 and the 22lr was .224, 22 short, .224.
22 mag bore from a slug .220.
22 LR bore from a slug .220.
These are both from Rugers.
I'm havin a real hard time finding any difference.
I pulled the bolt back on my ruger 22 LR and dang a 22Mag cartridge will sit right in there. granted there may be a very slight clearance issue if attempting to eject a loaded round. A fired case would eject easily.
I think a reputable gunsmith would better answer this, But I think it would be possible.

Outlaws
July 17, 2006, 12:37 AM
Well if its a Ruger I am sure it would be strong enough to handle a 22 mag. other guns are iffy though. But the chamber would need to be bored out by a gun smith and the barrel if I recall is a hair larger for 22 mags. Not much but just enough. YOu can ask a gunsmith that. But unless the gun has sentimental value, it would be cheaper to buy a new 22 mag.

mc223
July 17, 2006, 02:45 AM
I am not going to try this and yes it probably would be much better to just buy a 22 Mag. I think we may be dealing with another "Myth", re, the difference in bore sizes.
Keep it up were getting places.
And Bhk you are absolutely right if there is a difference.

halvey
July 17, 2006, 09:39 AM
It's easy to do...

Take $187 and buy a 22 mag.:uhoh:

Onmilo
July 17, 2006, 10:36 AM
Bore diameter isn't the problem.
Barrel rifling twist is.
.22 Long Rifle barrels are normally rifled with a 1 in 16" twist rate.
.22 Magnum is normally rifled with a 1 in 14" or 1 in 13" twist rate.

The slower long rifle twist will not adequately stabilize a heavier .22 magnum bullet and accuracy will suffer.

Model 514 rifles are gaining some collector interest and rechambering it to another caliber will kill any value the rifle might reflect.

If you enjoyed reading about "CONVERT 22LR TO 22 MAG?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!