Where to buy a revolver frame?

PDA

statelineblues
July 17, 2006, 12:26 PM
I have been looking for a S&W 'N' frame for a project I want to build, but I can't find one. Gunparts doesn't have any, and I have no idea where else to look. I know it will have to come to me thru an FFL dealer - that's not a problem. I would rather have a frame than buy a complete gun and dissassemble it. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to buy a revolver frame?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
July 17, 2006, 07:51 PM
It'll be pure luck finding a usable "N" frame.

Most frames you can find (WHEN you can find them) are scrapped-out ex-police "K" frames.

Most any "N" frame that's in any kind of usable shape already has been assembled into a working gun.

You'll have more luck buying a well used but still serviceable complete gun.

Sunray
July 18, 2006, 02:19 AM
You might find a beat up M27 or 1917 at a gun show. Finding just a frame, of any size, isn't and hasn't ever been easy.

Jim K
July 18, 2006, 05:49 PM
Most used parts sold on the parts market came from guns scrapped after they were confiscated; the frames were destroyed. So the frames found occasionally at gun shows are ones removed and replaced by gunsmiths and returned to the customer. So I suspect that any N frame you might find will have problems. Those could range from stretching to a swelled barrel hole to a broken off stud to having been in a fire, etc.

I, too, recommend buying a beater gun for the project; just make sure it is not in too bad shape functionally.

Jim

statelineblues
July 19, 2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the info! Looks like that's the way I'll have to go. I wish someone out there would make aftermarket revolver frames - seems like the only bare frames I can find are for a 1911. I'm sure there would be a good market for decent S&W or Colt clones. I've seen quite a few parts kits (sans frame) for sale out there. Oh, well, maybe I'll start that company after I win the lottery (I keep picking the right numbers - it's the damn state that messes up and draws the wrong ones)................:D

Jim K
July 19, 2006, 03:06 PM
A revolver frame in anything like completed condition is a lot harder proposition to make than something like the M1911 frame, and a lot harder to complete satisfactorily if unfinished. As for Colt, people didn't want their DA revolvers when they were selling whole guns, so I doubt there would be much market for frames to build custom guns. As for S&W, the sell frames to authorized shops and/or will install them themselves, so there is no need for after-market frames for replacement.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to buy a revolver frame?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!