Browning hi power tool

PDA

10X
July 17, 2006, 02:38 PM
When changing the hammer spring from factory to a lighter one is there a tool to unscrew/screw the nut from the hammer strut or a tool to take the tension off of the spring.

I can't remove the nut with fingers and don't wish to use needlenose pliers and scar the nut.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning hi power tool" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HankC
July 17, 2006, 10:54 PM
I did it by holding the hammer strut in a vise, press down hammer spring with a plier between the two wire cutting blades then hand screw the nut off. Not easy but get the job done.

Jim K
July 18, 2006, 05:39 PM
I used to have a tool with a slot in it and tapered "arms" to slip round the strut and compress the spring. It came in handy with a number of guns that have coil mainsprings.

Jim

10X
July 19, 2006, 11:43 AM
Jim, that sounds like a very useful tool. Any idea where to locate one?

Harold Mayo
July 19, 2006, 08:59 PM
Same as HankC.

I've also wrapped the spring with several turns of thin copper wire and pulled it down that way so that I could unscrew the nut with fingers.

Changing out the hammer spring on a hi-power is one of my least favorite gun-related tasks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning hi power tool" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!