The Clintons’ War on Gun Rights

PDA

sparx
July 18, 2006, 02:34 PM
Just saw this posted over on TexasCHLforum.com and thought it a good post to repeat here...

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_27267111.shtml

"The Clintons’ War on Gun Rights
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Tom Fitton
Jul 17, 2006

What kind of President will Hillary Clinton make? Giving her ethical failings, I realize this is a disturbing thought, but we must consider it as Senator Clinton remains the odds-on favorite to win the Democratic nomination for President in 2008. The way I figure it, with the Clintons, past is prologue. Bill Clinton’s unfinished illicit business as president will be Hillary’s to take up if elected. That’s why Judicial Watch’s investigations team has been inspecting the newly released Clinton Presidential Library records. (We don’t endorse or oppose candidates, but it is part of educational and corruption-fighting mission to see the Clintons held accountable.)

Recently, our investigations team uncovered documents that provide some interesting, and troubling, details about the Clintons’ plan to destroy the gun industry, a la “Big Tobacco.”
Here’s just a sample of what we discovered:

A memorandum from former Clinton Advisor Sidney Blumenthato Bruce Reed, Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, dated November 9, 1998, which reads: "I've enclosed an article and a press release about the new effort to file class action suits against gun manufacturers. I think this is a very promising idea. Let's talk about it soon." The press release, from the Office of the Mayor of New Orleans, was in draft form, suggesting the Mayor coordinated the strategy with the Clinton White House.

The "promising idea" identified by Blumenthal involved filing massive product liability and negligence lawsuits against major handgun makers, "the opening salvo in a campaign against the gun industry by an alliance of anti-tobacco attorneys and local governments," wrote The Los Angeles Times. According to one of the lawyers involved in the lawsuits: "We are going to do to [the gun industry] what we did to tobacco. It's going to be a very large war."

Our investigators also uncovered a March 6, 2000 letter from New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer with a handwritten note at the top from Bill Clinton to then-White House Deputy Counsel Bruce Lindsey, which reads: "Bruce, See me re: this…has some good ideas for future." Among the "good ideas" -- denying gun manufacturers the right to sell guns to the military and law enforcement unless they sign an anti-gun "code of conduct" that would cripple the industry.

Clinton and the anti-gun rights crowd used this extortive litigation strategy to strong-arm gun manufacturer Smith and Wesson into adopting some of their policies. President Bush put an end to the federal abuse of the gun industry in 2000. Will a “President Hillary” revert back to government extortion of the gun industry?

Tom Fitton is the President of Judicial Watch, Inc., a conservative, non-partisan educational foundation, promotes transparency, accountability and integrity in government, politics and the law."

If you enjoyed reading about "The Clintons’ War on Gun Rights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deanimator
July 18, 2006, 03:20 PM
The Clintons were enemies of virtually ALL civil rights.

You might want to look at the HUD slapp suits against people who wrote their representatives to complain about group homes in their neighborhoods.

Number 6
July 18, 2006, 05:55 PM
I really do not know why people think that Hillary has even a remote chance at becoming president. She might run and even get the nomination, but she will be destroyed. Presidential politics has a lot to do with appealing to the middle of the political spectrum, and in most cases this has a regional dynamic. Southern Democrats usually have an easier time getting elected since they are more conservative than their east coast counterparts. In the same way southern Republicans have a difficult time getting elected. There are aberrations, like George W. Bush, but they are exceptions to the rule. If Hillary did run and ran on an anti-gun platform, then she would only be appealing to those people who are already going to vote for her. For her to win, she would have to figure out how to appeal to some of the moderate Republicans without alienating her Democratic base, which is something that most Democrats have not figured out how to do, and being a Democrat from New York makes it that much worse.

g56
July 18, 2006, 06:09 PM
I was really bothered by Clinton's constant harping about the NRA being inherently evil, it's a perfect example of hate speech at it's worst, there is no reason to believe it would be any different if Hillary got elected.

While I believe the chances that Hillary could be elected are remote, we used to think the same thing about Bill, he not only got elected but he got re elected, the whole Clinton era was an assault on freedom and personal rights, and by an administration that was steeped in corruption from one end to the other. :barf:

Omaha-BeenGlockin
July 18, 2006, 06:12 PM
Commie scum always want to take people's rights to expand their powers and control over the serfs.

orangelo
July 18, 2006, 06:53 PM
bill klinton said during a 60 minutes interview that "The job of the government is to restrict the rights of citizens."

hitlery recently said "We will take things away from you for the common good."

Communist to the core.

Give me pol pot or che or mao rather than those 2 slimeballs. At least you can shoot at the first 3 if they came for your family and property. The secret service would protect the other 2 tyrants.

Cosmoline
July 18, 2006, 07:08 PM
I doubt HC could ever get more than a weak plurality of the vote, but the GOP has several huge question marks hanging over it. The party has a long tradition of intense loyality, but there are cracks and fissures opening up thanks to GW's enlargement of the federal state and his many bizarre policy decisions. The hard core conservatives are divided between those wanting a return to fiscal discipline and a smaller federal government and those who are primarily concerned with social issues such as abortion and marriage. If the core is divided in 2008 and the GOP picks a weak candidate, Hillary can win with only a plurality if she runs a smart campaign. After all she will dominate in many high-electoral vote states.

rev214
July 18, 2006, 08:06 PM
If the core is divided in 2008 and the GOP picks a weak candidate, Hillary can win with only a plurality if she runs a smart campaign.

Or if a viable 3rd party candidate enters the race...a 5-10% or more vote for a 3rd candidate could put :barf: Chillary in the White House...

Cosmoline
July 18, 2006, 08:21 PM
It's the perfect storm for another liberal Democratic invasion. Even better than '92 in fact since they have no incumbent to overcome. And what really burns me is how they'll take DHS, TSA and all the other new Federal agencies and roll them right around and point them right down our gullets. Mark my words, all GW has accomplished with his explosive growth in the federal government is to create the tools that will be used to destroy us. And by us I mean us.

The best we can hope for is a liberal or centrist who's neutral on gun issues such as Howard Dean. I could live with Dean and a GOP house. Dean's too nutty to get much accomplished and has no particular axe to grind against gun owners. But HC or an anti-gun RINO like that gumba from back east who calls himself "America's Mayor" could do an awful lot of long-lasting damage. And sadly it looks like the antis have the strongest contenders for '08 in both parties.

mordechaianiliewicz
July 18, 2006, 08:47 PM
While I think GW is a liar, and a pawn of big business (many businesses whose only customer is the government), and I think he is horrific for civil rights, I think he has empowered the police power to accomplish what the Clinton regime had wet dreams about.

If GW is bad, Hillary is Satan.

Kim
July 19, 2006, 01:11 AM
Yes they tried this con game. Remember Smith and Wesson. I also remember when they tried to get all State governments to only buy from Smith and Wesson. Gov. Huckelbee from AR sent a nice note back to Clinton and told him in no uncertain language where to stick his idea and plan. Google is your friend I am sure it is on the net somewhere. It was a real funny letter. Wonder if the NYT wrote an editorial about the blackmail going on behind the scene. I am not even going to goggle it as I know they did not.

sm
July 19, 2006, 01:29 AM
Kim is so correct.

Even if Hillary does not run, much less get elected President, you folks are missing a very important aspect of the Power and Influence she and Bill still have.

Back when Bill was AG and Hillary worked at Rose Law Firm, their contacts, folks they associated with, influences, and power did a lot of damage.

Just use the Constitution and Bill of Rights and start reading, this couple and many many folks even back then - not to mention the contacts gained since over the years and increase in Power and Influence - that associate with this couple - just spit, stomped, and shredded the COTUS and BoR.

Kennedy, Reno, Feinstein...and others, folks NOT seeking POTUS or VPOTUS are dangerous. In fact some are more powerful than a VP - in getting more and more Tryanny here in the US.

Remember too "distractions" are a tool of tyranny. Folks get "distracted" about say Hillary running, and not paying attention to others NOT running - and letting Tryanny in the side door.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Clintons’ War on Gun Rights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!