Benelli: worth the price?

PDA

Dan Tanna
July 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
Just wondering if the Benelli M2 is worth the expensive price tag. I bought one a few months ago, and I guess it's ok. I brought it out of the safe tonight and comparedit it to the feel of my 870. The Benelli is definitely a nicer gun, and an auto. But is it worth 5 times what I gave for my 870?

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Benelli: worth the price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ironballs
July 19, 2006, 11:45 PM
used m1s90 or especially a cheaper 1201fp sure is... new m2... how much is your money worth to you?

JR719
July 20, 2006, 02:39 AM
I have not been able to shoot an M2, but my M1 Super 90 was worth every dollar.

tomkatz
July 20, 2006, 03:12 AM
Benelli: worth the price?

YES!!!! ;)

nico
July 20, 2006, 03:16 AM
I can't speak for the models in question, but my dad's SBE ($1400) is a very nice gun. When comparing it to my SX2 Field model ($600), you can definitely tell by the fit and finish which gun costs more, but I still like my gun better.

In a lot of cases, I don't think asking "is gun X worth 2x the price of gun Y" isn't really the right way to look at buying a gun. It's really more about whether "Gun X is worth $XXX."

Karbon
July 20, 2006, 01:02 PM
My M1 Super 90 was the best gun purchase I ever made. It's a breeze to strip/clean, great fit for me, light, a slick semiauto, no o-rings, and never fails out in the swamp. Add to that the camo finish, and there is little to even rust.

It was worth 2 or 3x times what I paid for my old 870.

ArmedBear
July 20, 2006, 01:11 PM
Now, is a Benelli hunting gun worth 3 times the price of a Stoeger 2000 with the same action, or double the price of the Franchi?

(The Franchi's foreend is too fat for my taste, whereas the Benelli's is purr-fect, but I wonder if I could get used to that for $600.)

THAT may be a worthwhile question.:)

das028
July 20, 2006, 01:45 PM
Now, is a Benelli hunting gun worth 3 times the price of a Stoeger 2000 with the same action, or double the price of the Franchi?

YES!!!

Beleive me there is a huge defference between a Benelli and a Stoegor 2000. And I'm not putting down a Stoegor 2000. (although my dads is a POS, that broke the first day in the field) Just handle both of them side-by-side and you will know what I'm talking about.

Franchi's are nice, but I dont know about being half the price of a Benelli.

For a all-around shotgun, I think the Benellis are the best of the best. I use my SBE for everything from dove to geese. Awesome gun!. Probably my best purchase ever.

Dave McCracken
July 20, 2006, 10:08 PM
A Benelli is about 6 good used 870s.

I'd rather have the 870s, but that's MY choice. I support your right to differ.

Dan Tanna
July 20, 2006, 11:11 PM
I did pretty good with the 870 and an 11-87 I had for a while. I wanted a good all-around gun and everyone said go with the Benelli. I just think I may have a pit in my stomach when my $1100 gun is lying in the bottom of a duck boat, hunters' feet trying not to stomp mud all over it. But then again, that's what I bought it for. I suppose it will all clean off. Maybe I'm having buyer's guilt.

Thanks for your replies.
Dan

45R
July 20, 2006, 11:15 PM
Benelli is definetly worth the price.

Ask Myself, Duke of Lawnchair and Skunkabilly. Even Dave knows but he wont admit it :neener:

The-Fly
July 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
i dont have a Benelli myself, but i do have a $1250 extrema2. And it's already gotten some dings after 3 months of ownership. But i work it hard, clays, skeet, bird hunting, a few rabbits, etc. Its worth every penny too.

bosshoff
July 20, 2006, 11:50 PM
I love all four of my 870's, but that sweet Italian sportscar is a different breed.;) It just takes a little bit of time to get used to the cha-thunk noise after you pull the trigger.:)

Fred Fuller
July 21, 2006, 12:14 AM
"Worth it" means different things to different people. It has to be an individual determination. "Wants" have a way of turning into "needs" for a lot of us. Coming down hard on the issue, most of us could get by perfectly well with one pretty plain shotgun, an extra barrel and a handful of accessories to cover all our shotgun needs. A $150 used 870 Express Magnum that was originally equipped with a vent ribbed 26- 28" barrel fitted for RemChokes, along with a $75 18" riot/police or 20" rifle sighted smoothbore slug barrel, a handful of choke tubes, a magazine extension, Sidesaddle, sling swivels and sling, LEDWave Z-5 weaponlight and Streamlight mounting bracket for the light- the whole package totals under $400, can reasonably be put together right now with judicious shopping and can absolutely do about all the general shotgun chores anyone could reasonably need done. Granted it would require reconfiguring the gun 'between jobs' but that's no real chore and no real consumer of time either. Granted there might be some issues with pride of ownership compared to the fancy schmancy high-dollar boomsticks, but if the shooter with the budget scattergun is good enough to make the owners of the expensive bright'n'shiny stuff eat crow, then what really matters about the tool he or she uses to do it? Not much, it seems to me, and it just adds savor to the crow.

Value is seldom measured in dollars alone. There are lots more aspects to value than just a price tag, and some silk purses really did start out as sow's ears (and aren't really very far removed, truth to tell). Reliability and dependability are high on the list IMHO. So are maintainability and adaptability- specialization, as has been famously said, is for insects. There are matters of mechanical design that fascinate some folks, the design features of a certain model may hold a much greater appeal for some shooters than others. There are issues of appearance alone- deep bluing, carefully crafted engraving, fine wood fitted with precision- that appeal to some shooters on an elemental level.

So what's 'worth it' to me, might not be to you- and vice versa. It isn't for any of us to really say what is or isn't worth it to someone else, when you get right down to it. I tend to agree with Dave, I'd rather have the half dozen 870s (and I do have the half dozen 870s, in fact- but I have one Benelli also, a M1S90 that only cost about as much as two of the 870 packages I listed). I didn't need the Benelli, but I wanted it. I didn't need the FN SLP I just brought home either, but I wanted to experiment with it and see just how much gun it really is. Don't need the old 'suicide safety' Remington M11, or the 1100, or the 11-87; don't really need the Browning A5 or the BPS, the Ithaca 37, the two Winchester 1300s (12 and 20 ga.) or the FN PS, any of the several Mossbergs, or more than about three of the 870s that seem to be reproducing in the dark of the gunsafe either. Don't really need my dad's old Stevens-Fox Model B 20 ga., or the Christmas-present 12 ga. 311 that I about wore out as a boy, or the svelte little Italian 20 ga. O/U from Cape Outfitters that followed me home one day, nor any of several single shots and Savage combination guns. But they're all there anyway.

"Need" seldom has a lot to do with what shotgun we wind up preferring to shoot, and neither does "worth it." Just find what you like, and enjoy it as often as you can. Life's too short for anything else...

lpl/nc

das028
July 21, 2006, 08:34 AM
Dont get me worng I love my 870 too. This is soley my trap gun though. Beautiful wood, nice bluing, its just a purdy gun.

But my SBE, is a warrior, It will take a licking and keep on ticking. After all thats what there made for.

Oh yeah, I will from time to time shoot clays with it as well.

das028
July 21, 2006, 08:38 AM
"A Benelli is about 6 good used 870s."

Thats a bit of a stretch!

Dave McCracken
July 21, 2006, 09:00 AM
Not really, Das. There's plenty of used 870s around for less than $200. Tax,title and tags on many Benellis will leave little change from $1500.

Even an exquisite Trap grade can be had for $250 at times. Ask anapex.

45R, no way. Benellis are good shotguns, but way overpriced for utility guns.

das028
July 21, 2006, 11:13 AM
Ok, your talking about the cheapo express magnums, and of that sort. You could say the same for the mossy 500 too.

When I think 870 I think Wingmaster, or something like my trap model. IMO those cheapo 870's are junk. Not something I would buy. No offense.

1500 is a bit steep for a brand new Benelli, I got my SBE for about 1275 out the door. So maybe 1300 would be pretty much as high as u should pay, out the door.

JohnBT
July 21, 2006, 11:56 AM
$200 to $250 Wingmasters aren't rare at all. Here's one:

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976676293.htm Wingmaster $199
"Very Good Cond. Cap 4+1 ; Barrel 26"; Light contour Barrel, vent rib, ; Sights Twin bead; Metal finish High polish blue; Overall length 46.5"; Stock walnut; finish Hi-gloss;"

I think Benellis are nice guns. I just don't see me ever owning one unless I get a real deal on a short one with ghost sights. A local gun store must sell a lot of SBEs, because over the years they've always have a selection of like-new ones that have been traded in. Rumor has it the owners didn't like the recoil using big shells.

Now as far as Expresses being junk, mine has been through heck since '93 and works just fine. Is it going to break soon? :) I even loaned it out this past duck season because I really like the SX-2 I picked up.

John

das028
July 21, 2006, 12:38 PM
John,

Yeah the only drawback to the Benellis action is recoil. But I think its reliablity and ease to clean out weigh its stiff recoil. Besides you can install one of the mercury recoil reducers for those big geese loads. Or just stop being such a wimp and shot the darn thing!:D

Well to each is own I guess. I'm happy with my SBE, (although its been a while since I've been in the field), and your happy with your express, and thats the only thing that really matter. So happy hunting, and safe shooting:)

ArmedBear
July 21, 2006, 02:30 PM
way overpriced for utility guns.

True generally, though some people are lucky enough to actually do the high-volume wingshooting that makes a Benelli worth its price. They're popular in Argentina as loaner guns, because they keep going and going, without cleaning or fixing.

There are three schools of thought about waterfowl guns, from what I can gather.

1. Take something cheap that shoots well, and if it gets really trashed, figure on buying another one. That would be me.
2. Take something expensive that won't break because it's very well built. That would be someone with a Benelli.
3. Take something pretty, because it's how you look when you hunt that really matters.:) (Orvis catalog, luxury SUV, and waxed-cotton outerwear mandatory)

Karbon
July 21, 2006, 02:41 PM
I love the light weight, easy to swing characteristics of my M1. It's lighter than my 870 and way lighter than a 1187 (at least by feel). Mine has taken many beatings each year and the camo has held up great (except for shell ejection chips in the camo).
My dad's 1187 has jamed so many times, lots of one shot only sessions. My frugle father (CHEAP) even said last year he wishes he would have bought a used M1 or SBE instead of his Remmy.

One tip, get a Limbsaver. It really helped absorb some of the pounding they are know for.

ArmedBear
July 21, 2006, 02:45 PM
My dad's 1187 has jamed so many times, lots of one shot only sessions.

That's not typical. Is there something wrong with it? Does he clean it? Are you shooting in extreme weather or something?

The Benelli might just be the most reliable gun out there, but the 11-87 isn't usually a one-shot gun if there's nothing wrong with it.

Dave McCracken
July 21, 2006, 02:51 PM
Actually, Das, I was referring to old Wingmasters. A couple here were less than 150.

Number 6, bought 3 years ago or so, was made in 1955 and I got it out the door for $178. Looks near new.

As for Expresses being trash, nope. Not in my universe....

das028
July 21, 2006, 03:08 PM
Dave,

Ok Well I would rather have my 1200 dollar Benelli then your used 150 dollar wingmaster any day of the week! And obviously you like would choose otherwise

So I guess its safe to say we are both happy;)

Me, I would much rather have quality then quanity anytime. Like ArmedBear said,"Take something expensive that won't break because it's very well built. That would be someone with a Benelli.", I guess I'm this person. At least I know I'll never have to buy another shotgun in my life.(not the a wont, bu just saying):)

das028
July 21, 2006, 03:10 PM
"get a Limbsaver"

AMEN!!!

das028
July 21, 2006, 03:13 PM
"That's not typical. Is there something wrong with it? Does he clean it? Are you shooting in extreme weather or something?"

I agree, there is something wrong with his fathers shotgun. 1187 and 1100 are great reliable shotguns when they are properlly maintained. My father uses a trap model. They are heavy as hell though, not relly fun when your in the field all day.

Karbon
July 21, 2006, 04:15 PM
We clean our guns after every use. Be both hunted 870 up untill three years back, with very little issues, couple of freeze ups, but that's it.

His gun was new and after 3 weekends he started having issues. O-rings about 2 times a season, conditions of our hunting I'm assuming.

As far as shooting conditions...we duck hunt in a swamp and have a Golden and a Black lab in and out of the water (muck, weeds, sand) all day. Plus up here in WI we can be hunting in everything from 50 to -10 in a mater of a few days. I guess that could be classified as extreme.

If you have a 1187, and are familiar with it, you would absolutly love the easy complete strip and clean of the M1. SIMPLE!

Dave McCracken
July 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
870s are quality arms also. I''ve been trying to wear some out since the Eisenhower Administration and failing nobly.

In all those years and at least 75K of shells, two firing pin springs are all that's broken.

Nigh 20K of shells in the last 6 years or so in the TB here have resulted in some wear marks on the mag tube. I can live with them.

Enjoy your Benelli. Other than bad triggers on the ones I've shot, they seemed to be nice shotguns.

However, a shotgun costing four figures should not have a bad trigger. This is not limited to Benellis.

Scottso
July 21, 2006, 06:04 PM
Bought my first Bennelli 2 years ago a used M1S90 for $700, worth every penny and more, just bought an M3 Tactical for $1000 worth every penny. If you want a Ford by a ford If you want a Ferrari buy a Ferrari. I like Ferraris lol. Choice is yours!!!

STiTkacik
July 21, 2006, 06:11 PM
My 1187 has been trouble free for a good 1500 rounds now. Not one jam.

I am very anal about cleaning it though.

Speaking of Benelli. I want to get a Nova 12 gauge in the future for ducks. The price isn't too bad and I really like the pump's action.

JohnBT
July 21, 2006, 06:17 PM
"If you want a Ford by a ford If you want a Ferrari buy a Ferrari. I like Ferraris lol."

Ferrari of autoloaders => www.cosmi.net/uk/ukhome.htm

Benellis are very good, but they're not Ferraris.

John

ArmedBear
July 22, 2006, 11:19 AM
Ferarri?

Benelli is a good quality truck, for some cash. On the other hand, Berettas aren't cheap, either, nor are Brownings or the Remington semiautos I'd buy, so it's not like the Benelli's price is way out of range, really.

But a Ferarri? You ain't SEEN a high-end shotgun yet, son, if you make that analogy. Toyota truck, Benelli is.

One can, if one chooses, spend 20-30 times as much on a shotgun, without ordering the fancy version.

I'm not doing that, myself, but in the eyes of a lot of shotgunners, a Benelli and an 870 are about the same thing.

ArmedBear
July 22, 2006, 11:37 AM
way lighter than a 1187

BTW did your dad buy the POS 11-87 Sportsman? That thing weighs as much as my 34" trap gun. Comparing that with a Benelli isn't fair.:)

The 11-87 Premier weighs about the same as an 870 or 391, give or take a few ounces. That's the one I would get, not the Sportsman, for a few reasons. I don't know what Remington did to make the Sportsman so overweight, but they shouldn't have done it!

Generally, Benellis are nice and light autoloaders, but the higher-end 11-87s aren't overweight. Well, maybe the Super Magnum, but we don't have many geese.:)

MCgunner
July 22, 2006, 12:38 PM
A Benelli is about 6 good used 870s.

I'd rather have the 870s, but that's MY choice. I support your right to differ.

ROFL. Well, I've got a Mossberg budget. But, you rich guys give me something to wish for. :D

I wouldn't mind more weight in an auto for waterfowl. The loads I shoot, I could use it. We DO have a lot of geese.:D

Spreadfire Arms
July 22, 2006, 01:30 PM
benellis are great. however, on the range this week a guy was shooting a Benelli M1 14" Short Barreled Shotgun. it did not cycle Tactical Buckshot (low recoil).

just FYI. it cycled slugs really good though!

Chuck R.
July 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
I’m now on my second Benelli after being a die-hard pump-gun fan; 870s, BPS, and a MOD 12.

A few years ago I was transferred back here to KS and started doing a lot more waterfowl hunting out of layout blinds for Canadas & Snows, and layout boats for ducks. I then discovered the dreaded “short-shuck” when shooting in awkward positions (IE about 30% of layout shots). Hard left to rights are a real PITA while you’re trying to pump.

I then picked up my SBE.

The gun is simply a freaking waterfowl “weapon”. It hasn’t jammed in 6 seasons now. It’s been stomped on, gone swimming twice, and frozen up from my dogs shaking off water in the boat. One time after a “swim” it was stomped in the mud during the “recovery” process. I spilt the upper and lower receivers, washed it out in the water and went back to hunting. A lot of the cool camo finish is now gone, but it still doesn’t rust, gotta love that alloy receiver. It HAS to be the simplest, fastest gun to clean beyond maybe a single shot, and I can still tear down a Benelli completely a lot faster.

After the 1st four seasons with the SBE I bought my M1S90 “Tactical” for HD. Same results.

So I guess for me the answer is YES, Benelli’s are worth it.

There MIGHT be some guns with greater longevity, but based on my guns performance, IF it ever wears out, I’ll run out and buy another one.

Chuck

Dave McCracken
July 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
A couple of my 870s have considerable "Blind time". Maybe more than some guides. No short shucks, no glitches.

To each his own...

Gixerman1000
July 22, 2006, 11:02 PM
I have only had my first Benelli (an M4 Tactical 11707) for a few weeks now and I only have about 300 rounds through it but I couldn't be happier with it, I still like my other shotguns (870,1187,500 & 835) but IMO my new M4 was worth every penny.

My M4 cycles everything from maxed out 3” magnum loads to my light #9 shot loads I use for skeet, effortlessly.

Chuck R.
July 22, 2006, 11:37 PM
Dave,

My mistake, I thought it was a “Is Benelli worth the price?” not “Benelli Vs 870s” thread.

I liked my 870 when I had one, they’re rugged and cheap enough to use as a paddle in a pinch. :D

Chuck

asknight
July 23, 2006, 03:38 AM
Ok, your talking about the cheapo express magnums, and of that sort. You could say the same for the mossy 500 too.

When I think 870 I think Wingmaster, or something like my trap model. IMO those cheapo 870's are junk. Not something I would buy. No offense.

No offense taken, but I must ask if you know the differences between the cheapo junk 870 Express models, and the Wingmaster models? As far as I can tell, the only difference is the amount of time and effort put into the polishing and finish work. The design, parts, and function is identical. If given the opportunity, I would bet that there isn't a bird, clay, or squirrel that a Benelli can "kill better" than either the 870 Wingmaster or Express. It all boils down to what you want to spend your money on.

A shooter accustomed to his 870 can place his follow up shots just as fast as a shooter accustomed to his Benelli, also.

But to answer the original poster's question: That's only something you can decide for yourself.

Quintin Likely
July 23, 2006, 09:54 AM
I went from a Mossberg 590 to a Benelli M1S90, and I don't have any plans on going back. My gun has been 100% with whatever I've shot through it. It fits me well, and I know the manual of arms by touch and feel, don't have to think about anything on it. And besides that, it's cool and it's fun to shoot - those are my two main qualifiers for buying any gun.

Although I plan on picking up an 870 one of these days. I think it's written law somewhere, there has to be at least one 870 in every household. ;)

JesseJames
July 23, 2006, 09:56 AM
My God man. If I had the money to spend I'd slap it down in a heartbeat for a Benelli shotgun.
But my pockets aren't that deep and I have to be very judicious in how I spend my firearms fund.
I've handled some Benellis at the gun shop and I fell in love. Talk about pining.
They're relatively light, state-of-the-art, and second to none in build quality.

Terrierman
July 26, 2006, 11:37 AM
I had trouble with an 11-87 that my gunsmith and Remington both tried to fix and both failed. I turned it into an M1S90 and really like the Benelli. It has been 100% reliable and IMHO worth the money I gave for it. I also own one of those classic 870 Wingmasters that predates both the now somebody else's problem 11-87 and the M1S90. I killed a LOT of ducks and geese with it before steel shot convinced me I needed a 3" gun. An ounce and a quarter of lead 5's stepping out there worked pretty good in the good old days! That Wingmaster will be part of the estate and that's that. The M1 is looking like it will be too, they are both reliable shotguns that I'm able to shoot reasonably well with and I see no need to let either one go on down the road. Does that make me wishy washy in this 870 v. Benelli microcosm?

dmarbell
July 31, 2006, 10:48 AM
>$200 to $250 Wingmasters aren't rare at all. Here's one:

>www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976676293.htm Wingmaster $199
>"Very Good Cond. Cap 4+1 ; Barrel 26"; Light contour Barrel, vent rib, ; >Sights Twin bead; Metal finish High polish blue; Overall length 46.5"; Stock >walnut; finish Hi-gloss;"

JohnBT and Dave Mc:

Per owner's reply, the above gun has 26" LC barrel with fixed modified choke. I am looking for an 870 value, but prefer 28-30" barrel. Many of the lower-priced ones have plain barrels. For a beginning skeet and clay shooter, is the vent rib barrel worth the extra money they seem to be asking for? I'd prefer the above gun in IC or skeet, and buy an extra barrel for full choke shooting.

What is the value of the vent rib?

Danny

JohnBT
July 31, 2006, 11:04 AM
Heck, I don't know. Maybe $50 or $100? I grew up on shotguns with plain barrels and know they aren't necessary ( :) ), but I understand that a lot of people like the extra weight out front to help smooth out the swing.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976749614.htm - Wingmaster magnum

"99% in the box 870 with 3 chokes. F, imp. cyl. and mod. Choke wrench and instruction manual included. 28" bbl vent rib." - $360

I like this one: www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976666230.htm - $475

"REMINGTON 870 WINGMASTER LATE MODEL 12GA SHOTGUN. With 3 Remchokes and a 28" Vent Rib Barrel and 3" chamber. Has PRETTY wood figure. Gun grades at 99.5% with BOX and book. Will be SalesTax/TEXAS residents. ShippingExtra."

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976666230-1.jpg

sm
July 31, 2006, 11:33 AM
Never warmed up to the Benelli's. In fact I have won quite a few, and never took them out of the box, or just called the gun shop and said I wanted to trade on something else.

I've tried to warm up, I've broken quite a few in trying.

Nothing against Benelli, just they did not fit me or task - or like me. Glocks don't like me either. *shrug* Some makes and models don't like some folks. Drop it, go on and find what works for you. Had some 'tree trimmers' folks that actually use shotguns to trim trees for a timber company , go thru the same thing. These guys use OLDer 1100s, and 870 pump guns now.

Vent Ribs :
"Vent" the heat mirage, and when "aiming" more than pointing with slugs offer some advantages. Takes a bit more doing to get nelphs out from under the rib, keep clean and maintained.
Folks that premount a gun, and especially have two beads, can make sure the gun is not canted.

Plain Barrels:
I grew up with plain barrels. I like them and Plain Barrelled guns like 870s, SxS, single shot shotguns... are more comfortable to use when using the shotgun as a boat paddle - especially it that silly bead you don't need is off.

I've gone to more simple, using Single Shot Shotguns, and 90% of these are Youth models.
Don't shoot like I used to - doing more passing forward in some areas while I let others pass onto me in others. See a bigger person can shoot a smaller gun - smaller person cannot always shoot a bigger heavier gun. So when I instruct, I use them simple youth sized single shots.
Awerbuck uses a "red gun" - I use a Youth Single Shot.

Works quite well for me, with a lady, or older fella with the green light to shoot again after detached retina is healed...still cautioned to start slow and less recoil.

Then again squatting down or being on knees to assist a kid, say a 9 y/o about so high - that gun fits them and lessons are shared.

Last Ducks I took were with this NEF Youth 20 ga I keep handy - real nice boat paddle to scuttle with too.

Taken everything from Doves [ limit of 15 here with only 11 shells ] to Spike Buck, to rabid critter control to evil mutant paint can at 75 yds with it.

Admit I am going backwards, bit turned off by all the marketing and "gotta haves".

I still like totin' a single shot while walking the property with a dawg. Still can shoot 5/5 using slugs on Low 7, and last time out shot 25/25 using one at regular skeet. One has to get the gun fed on them doubles of course - I was not shooting "ladies skeet".

Going backwards perhaps - then again some of us here besides me have some experiences.

Kinda like folks been married for a bit, you could not pay them to have to date in these times.

Then again I've been married, been divorced, and am single. Can't pay me "to date" - now if'n I want to hang out , go do something with a lady, I do - and they with me.

Some stuff just gotten too darned difficult, too much labeling, too much hype...grab a single shot, some ammo, the dawg, and walk the property for instance. Get back the Sun Tea is made and fix something to eat. Share the task, share the duties of fixing, cleaning up and ...actually communicate and have a conversation.

Must be the kicker - doing instead of wishing, doing instead of reading about it, doing instead of being too distracted by what folks are supposed to do , or what everyone is doing.

;)

A tool is never any better than the user of said tool.

Eightball
July 31, 2006, 11:49 AM
Personally, I've seen Benelli's with much better QC than remington--at least recently. Granted, never seen a Wingmaster in person (a shame, I know), but all Benellis I have sold at the shop where I work are much better manufactured than 870s. That being said.......870s are built like tanks, and will always work, you just gotta deal with a rougher finish. The newer Benelli stuff is just that--new--and hasn't had as extensive amount of time to be dealt with yet.

I'd say Yes, the M2 is much better than the 870, mechanically speaking and speaking from quality. And it'll probably be around much longer, if the current "american companies going under" trend continues.

jrou111
July 31, 2006, 12:13 PM
I wanted a HD shotty.

I paid $325 for a brand new Benelli Nova Tactical with Ghost ring sights.

I love it, WELL worth the money. :D

JohnBT
July 31, 2006, 01:07 PM
"I'd say Yes, the M2 is much better than the 870, mechanically speaking and speaking from quality."

Let's be fair here. You've never seen a Wingmaster and you're comparing the $900 to $1150 (ableammo site prices) M2 to an entry-level Express Magnum that costs $200 to $250 and doesn't even have a walnut stock. I would hope the M2 looks better.

John

Terrierman
July 31, 2006, 08:29 PM
Somebody needs to remember his boat paddle and stop using his shotguns that way. The stock shape is NOT an efficient paddling device, plus a real boat paddle is a lot lighter.

sm
July 31, 2006, 09:22 PM
Boat paddles being lighter, break when you bust ice, the plastic ones are the worst.

Water freezes back up while out busting ducks, got to break ice and paddle with something...

Then synthetic stocked gun break too easy on ice too. How I broke the 1st of the 7 Nova's I have torn up in T&E. Excuse me, make that 8 .

One of favorite 870s was a mid 50's vintage, plain barrel and about 200,000 rds thru it. Now the only real recoil pad is Pachmayr Decelerator.

This gun sported a blue carbon steel butt plate. This was one of my true "serious" general purpose shotguns. Busted ice, heads, vehicle glass to get someone out,, bust locks, gates, doors.. all sorts of "general purpose serious use"

Fire ate it, miss that gun.

My '74 SX1 has been re-figured to have near if not 300k rds thru it. Still runs flawless, has busted ice, paddled boats...won clay game tourney's , prizes, medals, taken all sorts of game, Columbaire, Live Pigeons...

Finally retired, I think this time for good. Bone Stock, even took off the Pach/Decel and original recoil pad on it now.

I know this gun will run ~ 400 rds per day for 10 days straight. Same gun used to be shot 25K rds a year.

SX1s to me will always be the most reliable, I am not alone.

Sx2 is what I recommend to folks, gun comes from good stock. ;)

I'm biased.

Next up, Gimme a Beretta, 303, 390/391 series. Then OLDer 1100s.

I do not do the shooting I once did, but me and my kind shot hard and fast. We used shotguns as tools, not wall hangers, or for bragging rights.

Rem 3200s, Model 12, Model 97s, 101s, 23, 21, SX1s ...lots of proven guns - guns that earned distinction.

I'm waiting to see how some newer offerings hold up 10, 20, 30 yrs+ from now.
That is if still offered.

Waiting to see how newer offering do when 100k, 200K , 300K + rds are fired thru them - if they can.

Not being arguementative, just doing what mentors did with me - passing forward and making folks think for themselves.

Marketing is for selling stuff to make money - Does not mean the product is good or bad - though sometimes the consumer is not as important as the stockholders.

:)

Blacklabman
July 31, 2006, 09:27 PM
I have hunted with my SBE I (H&K model) going on 10 years now. It has been on countless duck/goose hunts here, in other states, as well as Alberta, and Manitoba.
It has been nothing but reliable in all kinds of conditions from 100 degree heat to below zero goose hunts.
The SBEII I bought two years ago, and the Cordoba I bought at the same time, are just as reliable.
The M1 20ga my wifes shoots, has been reliable as well.

Benelli is worth the price.

JohnBT
July 31, 2006, 10:03 PM
Re: boat paddle => Is this a good shape? ;)

Beretta SO5 Trap Special Version

http://premium.berettausa.com/images/immagini_maxi/f_PREMIUM-GRADE_S05_Trap_Special_Version_12_maxi.jpg

Terrierman
July 31, 2006, 10:29 PM
Now THAT is more like it!! But it needs a single barrel and maybe a poly choke for a hand grip to really be getting in boat paddle territory.

270Win
July 31, 2006, 11:12 PM
I also never met a Benelli I liked; they simply don't fit me well. My best friend has a SBEII, and I've shot it plenty of times, but it's not the gun for me.

I have an early-80s 870 Wingmaster which I love to death; I've put probably 2,000 shells through it and it has yet to function anything less than marvellously. It was $200 even at a gun show.

The same friend with the Black Eagle II has an 870 Express Turkey... and loves it to death. In fact, when he was asked what made the Benelli so much better, all he could come up with was "the name."

Although he recognizes the great fit and finish of the Benelli, ability to easily break it down, great choke system, etc., he just doesn't see them as worth the cost. He has been equally happy with just about any semi-auto he's shot and bought the Benelli just on reputation. Since then, although it has failed to fire a few times (thorough cleaning seemed to fix it), and won't handle low-recoil shells, it's been a very...decent...gun. Trigger is less than great.

But even he admits the difference in performance - action type aside - between the Benelli and the 870 Express is very minimal. Benelli actually has worse recoil, this was the unanimous decision of five of us at the range. If he had the chance to do it over again, I don't think he'd make the same choice.

So although the Benelli is a very good firearm, the 870 is just one of those rare near-perfect designs. I've posted it before, but I've yet to encounter one in non-working condition, even if they were heavily abused barn guns. I'm just not at all certain the Benelli is worth the price difference.

sm
July 31, 2006, 11:22 PM
JohnBT,

That thing come in 28 ga? :D

Chuck R.
August 1, 2006, 12:48 PM
Somebody needs to remember his boat paddle and stop using his shotguns that way. The stock shape is NOT an efficient paddling device, plus a real boat paddle is a lot lighter.

C'mon, what do MO guys know about paddling boats?

You guys hang out on those well funded MO CAs in the ankle deep flooded corn fields :neener:

Chuck

JohnBT
August 1, 2006, 01:30 PM
"That thing come in 28 ga?"

You could always tube it. www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=16

Terrierman
August 1, 2006, 06:45 PM
Chuck, there's about as much paddling involved there as there has been recently in the Cheyenne Bottoms. So.....I don't guess either one of us gets to claim expert status on the paddling eh? Brother, this dry weather has not been good has it? And as far as breaking ice goes; Ice? what ice?

Rick

Chuck R.
August 3, 2006, 01:35 PM
Rick,

You’re right, and it’s looking like the bottoms and Jamestown might be out this year.

My pond is down about 2 ft since spring and I doubt that last night’s storm added much to it. On one side I’m kind of psyched because we want to have some more pond work done this fall while the water’s down. On the other, it’s going to “focus” the birds and the hunters this fall.

Might have to either mount wheels or skids to my "Fatboy" and leave the paddle (or 870) at home:D

Chuck

USP45T
August 5, 2006, 10:47 PM
For me, Benelli is worth every penny. I'll never have to borrow my father-in-law's 870 again!

Anthony T.
August 5, 2006, 11:12 PM
I've been debating the SBE II also. Want the camo. I've shot one and loved it. I was also wondering if they were worth it. It shot great and did'nt have much kick. I loved the feel of it also. I think I'm going to try it out

If you enjoyed reading about "Benelli: worth the price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!