We Were Soldiers

PDA

andy
May 4, 2003, 01:50 AM
Just got through watching this Mel Gibson movie and something struck me as odd about it. I noticed the soldiers made very little use of foxholes. Most of the men were carrying entrenching tools and with the volume of fire around them I would think they would at least try to dig a hole to get some cover. Was this a movie snafu or did they act like this is the real battle? I thought digging a foxhole was standard procedure. Maybe they were just too busy fighting the enemy to dig them. I've never been in the military but that probably shows.

If you enjoyed reading about "We Were Soldiers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
May 4, 2003, 01:54 AM
I read the book and there were holes there. The artillery was dropped pretty much on top of them. One recollection from the book was grenades simply being tossed outside the holes to catch NVA in the open. Movie was pretty decent though.

megatronrules
May 4, 2003, 02:59 AM
I really got a kick out of the old guy who remarked how the m16 "felt like a damn bb gun" lol I also got a kick out of how he went through the whole movie with his 1911. But if I had to have only a handgun that would be it :D

GD
May 4, 2003, 10:13 AM
My two favorite statements from that character are about Custer being a pussy compared to Gibson and how if things got too tough around him and he ran out of .45 rounds he would have plenty of M16s around him to pick up. Come to think of it his comments on the weather were pretty good too!

BigG
May 4, 2003, 10:27 AM
I thought "We Were Soldiers" was one of the better movies made since the old reliable stars had passed on to their reward. Here's my take:

http://www.epinions.com/content_76951555716

Another one you might enjoy is called "When Trumpets Fade," a WWII story up on the Siegfried Line:

http://www.epinions.com/content_81979412100

Hamburger Hill is another good look at the Vietnam debacle:

http://www.epinions.com/content_69105454724

Peetmoss
May 4, 2003, 03:16 PM
I enjoyed the movie alot. I think I have watched it about 10 times:D

synoptic
May 4, 2003, 03:25 PM
It is the best war movie made, and it sticks very close to the book. The ending is wrong though - :edited: The book is great too, you ought to read it.

edited for stupidity... :banghead:

Razor
May 4, 2003, 07:24 PM
It got to bad to bring the choppers back in and the reinforcements had to march out.

And that is the other half of the book.

synoptic
May 4, 2003, 07:39 PM
crap, sorry, didn't even think... :banghead: I'll edit...

Razor
May 4, 2003, 07:49 PM
:confused:

I was just pointing out that the movie only covered half the story. Those of you that have only seen the movie and not read the book.... READ THE BOOK!!! :)

Stevie-Ray
May 4, 2003, 08:43 PM
I thought it one of the better movies of the year. So did the real Hal Moore, who declared, "Hollywood finally got it right." The broken arrow scene alone makes it one of the best DVDs for surround sound and excitement factor. And Sam Elliot's Seargent Major was a great role, but then he's usually good in just about anything. I was probably one of the first at Best Buy when it came out on DVD.

BTW, is it possible that a sequel is coming out entitled: "Once, and Young"?:D

Detritus
May 4, 2003, 10:42 PM
first read the book back around i think 94, and re-read it every few years. saw the movie at the theater thought it was great. too bad a movie that covered BOTH LZ fights (X-ray And Albany) would have been over twice as long.

rented the DVD a month or two back. i now fully intend to buy a copy when i next get the chance. the "making of" featurette that included soem commentary from Hal Moore. and some of the Deleted scenes make it this one worth about twice what you pay.

synoptic
May 4, 2003, 11:09 PM
Ah, I see, I thought I was being the jerk who gave away the ending ;) I've been writing a program all day, normal english doesn't make much sense to me right now... Still, in the book they don't overrun the enemy, but they did have to end the movie somewhere...If they had left it semi open they could have come in with a sequel

Razor
May 5, 2003, 12:12 AM
Yeah, the ending did put me off a little bit. I can't say I didn't like the "Hollywood"-ending (judicious use of mini-guns does tend to win me over :D), but I agree they should of left it open to tell the tale of LZ Albany. I suppose they still could and I hope they're thinking about it. Actually, I would also like to see a movie about the life of Rick Rescorla. http://militaryhistory.about.com/library/prm/blrickrescorla1.htm

PATH
May 5, 2003, 12:31 AM
Ditto.

May 5, 2003, 01:20 AM
One thing about war movies that just recently occured to me is that guys like Mel Gibson are twice as old as the guys that actually did this stuff. I guess I am dense, but as I get older, I am amazed that guys in their early 20s were leading men into combat and the generals are men of my present age. I will never know if I could have handled it at that age. I was in the military, but the whole thing never sank into me until the last few years. I guess having 22-23 year old officers wouldn't play well in the movies, or troops that hadn't been out of high school a year yet.

By they way, this isn't about this partiular movie, just a random though on war movies in general.

BigG
May 5, 2003, 08:39 AM
444: Hal Moore was a LTC at the time so he was probably between 35 - 40.

Dannyboy
May 5, 2003, 09:38 AM
Having not read the book, I was wondering how much of the movie was "artistic license." I guess I have an idea now.

Peetmoss
May 5, 2003, 04:21 PM
Just orderd the book can't wait to read it

RandyB
May 5, 2003, 04:34 PM
The book is awesome and the second half of the battle when they leave Xray makes Xray look like a cake walk. I enjoyed the movie and Sam Elliot (the old Sgt) was perfect. I loved it when Sgt. Savage (the NCO in charge of the lost platoon) said "nice weather Sgt. and Sam replies "what are some kind of ***** weather man!)

If you enjoyed reading about "We Were Soldiers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!