Too Many Veteran's Memorials

PDA

winwun
May 4, 2003, 07:23 AM
I served in the Army from '49 thru '52 and received an Honorable Discharge. I served in Europe rather than Korea, but as you all know, you go where you are sent and keep your mouth shut. Had they wanted me in Korea, I would have been there. I think all the various groups and mini-groups demanding their OWN gender, unit and period specific veterans memorial are contributing to a prevalent disease that is undermining the fabric of our country, and that is DIVISIVENESS. We are fragmented enough with everyone having their own agenda without the veterans groups contributing to it. This country needs something to help UNIFY it, rather than further DIVIDE and contribute to scampering for limited resources. There should be ONE memorial for ALL veterans for ALL conflicts for ALL time. There is nothing quite so useless as a memorial when there is no one left to memorialize. I think that veterans deserve recognition for their "putting it on the line" and a single proper monument would point out the strength and resolve of this large group. Time was, there were men and women, republican and democrat, protestant and catholic and a few odd-wads in between, but NOW ? ? ? I don't even want to THINK about the movements and groups out there who aren't large enough to have any significant influence.

If you enjoyed reading about "Too Many Veteran's Memorials" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thumper
May 4, 2003, 08:28 AM
Can't "Celebrate Diversity" without divisiveness can we?

Tim Burke
May 4, 2003, 09:44 AM
I can understand the Vietnam memorial. After the way this country treated its troops, the memorial was necessary to demonstrate that the soldiers' sacrifices were recognized.
And Korea is the forgotten war, so I won't be objecting to its memorial, either.
I don't see a need for a WWII memorial, though. A free Europe is the monument erected by our WWII soldiers, and it dwarfs anything we might build, now.

winwun
May 5, 2003, 07:42 AM
Thumper, "Celebrate Diversity" is without a doubt one of the most asinine phrases ever coined, in my opinion. It's like saying "Lets be glad that we are sad" or "Only the rich can enjoy the pleasures of poverty" What we should aspire to and truly celebrate is UNITY. "Strength in Diversity" is like "The reason we are together is because we are so far apart." Our language is being desecrated and decimated by groups who, unfortunately, like to dance, but don't want to pay the piper.:banghead:

Thumper
May 5, 2003, 08:21 AM
Exactly.

Ebbtide
May 5, 2003, 10:14 AM
I think all the various groups and mini-groups demanding their OWN gender, unit and period specific veterans memorial are contributing to a prevalent disease that is undermining the fabric of our country, and that is DIVISIVENESS.

Can you give us some examples? I've never seen the "Lost Lesbians of WWII Memorial, or the "Operation Just Cause of Asian Services Members" either.

Do you think these memorials are for you? Or could it be that a group of like individuals who faught and died for our country would like someplace for the families and friends to go to share experiences and memorialize their fallen loved ones?

Perhaps when you serve in combat and loose friends you can then say the memorials are hurting our society, but to quote a friend "If you have not been there, keep your mouth shut".

Oh, and let us not forget what a memorial is used for, and what the word "memorial" means.

I don't see a need for a WWII memorial, though.

My parents, Aunts, Uncles, and Grandmother don't find it very comforting to memorialize their Father/Husband by looking at a map of Europe. They all think it is pretty nice to be able to go to the Memorial Day celebration (there is that word again) and see his name on the monument (seeing as there is no grave) along side his brother, two cousins, and 150 or so of other people that did not make it home.

ehenz

winwun
May 5, 2003, 11:02 AM
Ehens, then you suggest that we keep dividing ourselves in order to make a stronger, more cohesive group. Yeaaahhh, Riiighhht ! !

Ebbtide
May 5, 2003, 11:26 AM
Ehens, then you suggest that we keep dividing ourselves in order to make a stronger, more cohesive group. Yeaaahhh, Riiighhht ! !

Not at all, winwun. I'm suggesting your argument does not apply to war memorials. The two are so un-related I can't imagine how you came up with the idea that war memorials equals "contributing to a prevalent disease that is undermining the fabric of our country". Those are some pretty strong words for a bunch of guys who just want to remember their fallen friends, don't you think?

4v50 Gary
May 5, 2003, 11:54 AM
There is one memorial from which you can honor all vets - the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

In my travels through many New England towns, I've seen the same Civil War statute of a soldier leaning down on his musket. Inscribed on the pedestal are the names of those who served from the area as well as those who didn't make it home. Nothing wrong with remembering the locals who answered our Nation's call.

Thumper
May 5, 2003, 11:55 AM
ehenz...I think you missed the point of his post...it's not against war memorials...simply against war memorials divided up so that every ethnic group gets their own.

Ebbtide
May 5, 2003, 12:31 PM
Thumper,

I understand, now. But still don't know of which memorials are being discussed. Other than an African American Memorial (who served at a time when diversity was still celebrated with a rope), and a female nurse memorial next to The Wall I don't know of any others.

Is there a current/recent group of minorites veterans that want a memorial? Or is it all older vets who served in an all inclusive (to the thier race) unit? As far as a current unit wanting special recognition because of their race, religion, color... I can understand how it will bring further division. But for a past conflict, for minorites who would like their due, I see no problem.

Just wondering as I would like to know more.

ehenz

jmbg29
May 5, 2003, 12:41 PM
I didn't want to comment until I had a chance to check my "Things to whine about before I die" list.

"Too Many Veteran's Memorials" wasn't even on the list. So I guess I have no comment. :rolleyes: :scrutiny: :uhoh: :barf:

winwun
May 5, 2003, 01:22 PM
This is my last post on the matter. I wouldn't have thought that there were people who couldn't see a bulls butt if he f***ed in their face. If it needs explaining, my concerns were that ALL veterans deserve better treatment that they are getting, and ALL veterans need to do whatever would make them a more powerful voice INSTEAD of fragmenting themselves with selfish APPEARING demands. You DO NOT make yourself stronger by being divisive.

Ala Dan
May 5, 2003, 03:20 PM
I would be against a Klinton memorial of any kind!:)

The quicker we can forget that senseless - - -, the better
off we are!:uhoh: He would not have had the gut's to do
what President George W. Bush did; as Klinton is a no-
good coward.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

BigG
May 5, 2003, 03:49 PM
I agree there are too many pissy little groups that want recognition, winwun. All vets are ok with me... Well ok, except the Navy and Air Force, oh yeah, and the Coast Guard. :evil: Seriously, they are all vets and all ok with me! And your point is well taken!

Ebbtide
May 5, 2003, 04:21 PM
?I wouldn't have thought that there were people who couldn't see a bulls butt if he f***ed in their face.

I never seen a bulls hind end, but I suspect you are speaking from experience so I'll take your word on it. :D

ALL veterans need to do whatever would make them a more powerful voice INSTEAD of fragmenting themselves with selfish APPEARING demands.

I agree with that, but you still have not given any real examples of these "groups" in your posts (which I thought you were willing to discuss). If you thought everyone was just going to agree with you, why post on a DISCUSSION board?

Thanks for the heads up and I'll keep my eye out for veteran's groups who would like to see a memorial for thier lost buddies.

ehenz

If you enjoyed reading about "Too Many Veteran's Memorials" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!