Full-autos - what if?

PDA

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 09:33 AM
Imagine a bright, sunny day. The GCA 1968 and FOPA, as they pertain to full-autos, are repealed. Who would buy full-autos?
What would they use them for?

If you enjoyed reading about "Full-autos - what if?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AK103K
May 4, 2003, 10:00 AM
It would be a great day! Prices would drop to what they should be and my wallet would be empty and my credit card companys would be real happy! :) I'd use them for the same thing I use them for now...STRESS RELIEF!:D

Chris Rhines
May 4, 2003, 10:05 AM
(Raises hand.)

I'd get a few M4 clones, an Uzi, maybe a few other handheld rattleguns (probably stick pretty close to the M16 pattern.) Purposes? Competitions. Bowling pins, steel-plate matches, fun stuff like that.

Also, I'd snap up an M2HB, just to have something to shoot at 1500+ yards with. :D

Also, every last one of my home-defense weapons would get a sound suppressor mounted. Between shooting and doing FOH for rock concerts, I'd prefer to keep as much of my hearing as possible.

- Chris

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 10:07 AM
What about the "normal" people? What would they do with them?

AK103K
May 4, 2003, 10:09 AM
What?, I'm not normal?? :eek:

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 10:10 AM
I mean, non-gun-enthusiast.
No you're not. And that's a compliment?:D
Ever read "Harvey"?:D

SDC
May 4, 2003, 10:14 AM
"Normal" people? I think pretty well everyone who posts here is "normal" people, but if you mean by "normal" those who don't really ENJOY shooting and/or owning firearms, their life would continue as before; the sky wouldn't fall in, dogs wouldn't be copulating with cats, Democrats wouldn't suddenly start telling the truth, etc., etc.
My wish list would begin with a bunch of subguns ('28 Thompson and a few 9mms), and I'd like a .50 M2HB too :)

Byron Quick
May 4, 2003, 10:15 AM
The "normal" people would do the same thing they've always done: ignore them.

Heck, I was a "normal" person myself once. I just happened to know a Class III dealer and would drop by his shop to drool and shoot the breeze. So I heard about FOPA in time to get my semi-auto UZI converted before the deadline.

Only reason I EVER did that was that the government was suddenly telling me that I COULD NOT EVER DO SO.

If FOPA had not become law I would never have converted my Uzi and gone through all the hassle to register a NFA weapon.

Floyd and Marie Thigpen were the Class III dealers in Augusta, Georgia. May they rest in peace. In 1994, they were murdered in their shop.

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 10:17 AM
By "normal" people I mean those who have a gun for self-defense only, not for the sake of owning it.

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 10:19 AM
Hey, while we're at it, why can't the NRA lobby to repeal FOPA-1986?

AK103K
May 4, 2003, 10:21 AM
Why not all of them, the NFA 34, GCA 68, ............:banghead:

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 10:23 AM
Because of the slippery slope. Let's repeal the most stupid gun law in history. I mean, I could see the NRA want the GCA-68 to stay for some reason, being "moderate" and all, but FOPA - 1986 - GOD! It's so visibly pointless!

Dave Markowitz
May 4, 2003, 10:24 AM
If the NFA went away I'd get a suppressed .22 and maybe some other stuff. It would be handy for shooting in my friend's yard w/o spooking the neighbors. (Shooting there IS legal.)

Someone else also posted about suppressing a home defense gun. That strikes me as a very good idea. Of course, I have to use something other than my S&W Model 28 then. :)

Hkmp5sd
May 4, 2003, 10:42 AM
And I'd use them for the same thing I use the ones I already own.

GD
May 4, 2003, 11:01 AM
The only full auto firearm I would buy would be a .22. I would get the full auto effect at an affordable price. Otherwise I am perfectly happy with my milsurp bolts and semiautos. Each to his own.

Tamara
May 4, 2003, 11:23 AM
Because of the slippery slope. Let's repeal the most stupid gun law in history. I mean, I could see the NRA want the GCA-68 to stay for some reason, being "moderate" and all, but FOPA - 1986 - GOD! It's so visibly pointless!

Please study the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 before you wish for its repeal. With the exception of the stupid machinegun rider that was slipped in at the eleventh hour as a milksop to the more weak-kneed members of Congress, it is a good piece of legislation that did much to help gun owners.

Between 1968 and 1986, you had to sign a registry to buy ammunition. Between 1968 and 1986, no military surplus guns of any kind could be imported, as they were "non-sporting" (even Mausers and SMLE's).

Oh, and what would I do if NFA '34 went away?

The top five guns in the picture below would get a third selector position, and the bottom three would be real. :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=175911

AK103K
May 4, 2003, 11:25 AM
Even more reason not to stop at the 86 law. Keep right on going back to 34.

Hkmp5sd
May 4, 2003, 11:48 AM
ANOTHER P90 picture (I know, only airsoft)!! Would you people PLEASE stop posting pictures of these?!?! You KNOW the government won't let me have one, so why keep reminding me?? Oh, yea, nice 93R too. :)

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 11:49 AM
Tamara, I know that.
However, when FOPA 1986 is invoked, I think we all know what I mean - The Stupid Clause.
Now, how can we repeal it?

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 11:52 AM
HKMP5SD - rejoice in the fact that airsofts are illegal in Israel.
:cuss:

TheLastBoyScout
May 4, 2003, 12:32 PM
By "normal" people I mean those who have a gun for self-defense only, not for the sake of owning it.

For HD, I'd make whatever I chose as a rifle, carbine or subgun full automatic, and supressed. I can't really think of any reason I would NEED full auto in a HD situation, but it would be another option for the same (or close to the same) cost as a semi. Options are good to have.

cool45auto
May 4, 2003, 12:50 PM
Tamara: What's up with that 93R? Is it a clone and more importantly-where can I get one?:D

WilderBill
May 4, 2003, 12:55 PM
Well, I have always kinda wanted a 1928 Thompson...:D

Erik Jensen
May 4, 2003, 01:38 PM
cool9mm. not to step on Tamara's toes, but the three guns in the bottom of the pic are all airsofts. they're available widely, but you need to search a bit to find the good ones.

Kaylee
May 4, 2003, 02:18 PM
oh, if ALL of the NFA went away, I'd suspect you would see them used more in crimes and in accidents, just 'cause of the "cool" factor they've always had attracting StoopidKidz and the attendant irresponsibility .. something prevented now by virtue of their scarcity. And of course the newsies would eat it up, and the anti crowd dancing in the blood.

That said... I don't see much difference between being knifed to death in a back alley or hosed down with a 60 year old junker subgun import. Dead is dead. Heck, if Cooper's right about what happens to most folks trying to shoot a subgun, the murder right might even drop. :)

-K

AK103K
May 4, 2003, 02:35 PM
Hey, its just like if your the target of the gang banger, your the only safe one standing there, its everyone else around you thats in trouble. ;)

Cooper is a right for those who dont know "how" to shoot one, but for those of us that "do", you better watch out. :)

Pinned&Recessed
May 4, 2003, 02:37 PM
With the exceptions of revolvers, pistols and some rifles, I would not own a semi-auto. Every one of my semis would get a fast-forward switch.

For Starters:
My AR would become an M16
My M1 Carbine would become an M2 Carbine.

I would probably shoot semi most of the time, but Would at least have the option of FA.

For home defense, suppressors all around and maybe a SBSG, like a 12-14" entry gun, fro CQ work in hallways and such.

AK103K
May 4, 2003, 02:41 PM
Aint it great to live in the "Land of the free, and the home of the brave"? We get the right to "wish" for all this.:rolleyes:

CleverNickname
May 4, 2003, 02:41 PM
I'd buy stock in ammo manufacturers. :D

May 4, 2003, 02:44 PM
If the whole thing went away and it was perfectly legal for me to exercise my right to keep and bear arms, I have to agree that all my ARs would be retrofitted. To be honest, full auto doesn't really pull my chain, so why would would I do it ? Why not ?
I already own a sub gun and have a few suppressed firearms on order. I never shoot the subgun now, so I doubt I would suddenly find a new interest.

Schuey2002
May 4, 2003, 02:49 PM
I already own a sub gun and have a few suppressed firearms on order. I never shoot the subgun now, so I doubt I would suddenly find a new interest.
Send it to me and I'll shoot it for ya'.. ;)

May 4, 2003, 02:56 PM
"Send it to me and I'll shoot it for ya'"

One problem with that. This thread is fantasy; the NFA is still in full effect. Our friends at ATF wouldn't like me doing that.

Actually I am having a rail attached to it, and am going to add a dot sight to it. If I can now actually use the sights, I will probably start participating in the local machine gun matches.

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 03:01 PM
What if we could manage to do to the NFA what the Canadians are doing to C-68?:D

Hkmp5sd
May 4, 2003, 03:08 PM
You mean toy guns are also illegal in Israel? I knew that most of the real guns went to law enforcement/military and terrorists, but toy guns? Geeze. England must have left too much of their thinking process in the area before they were kicked out.

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 03:11 PM
OK, here's the elaboration: the cheap Chinese ones are only illegal to import, the cool Japanese toy handguns are licensed as "weapons of self-defense", and the cool Japanese airsoft rifles are only available legally to be owned by a club (no clubs exist AFAIK). Of course, there's an illegal market in them. (BLACK MARKET TOYS! It would be funny if it weren't sad.)

Mannlicher
May 4, 2003, 03:14 PM
that got me to thinking, and I feel that for me, an original BAR would fill the ticket.

AK103K
May 4, 2003, 03:16 PM
What, did they have a room full of Mom's there testifying that "you could put someones eye out with those things" ?:)

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 03:19 PM
No. The reasoning is double:
a)Being seen with something that looks like a real gun could draw fire. Therefore, all toy guns should either be vividly unreal or have a red cap on the barrel. That gets rid of the chinese guns
b)A gun, defined by the 1949 Firearms act, is anything with a barrel expelling projectiles which could harm a man, [even if the projectile can only do so by entering his eyes]. Obviously, the Ministry of The Interior gets the final say.:fire:

Did I already mention firecrackers where illegal, too?

Schuey2002
May 4, 2003, 06:21 PM
One problem with that. This thread is fantasy; the NFA is still in full effect. Our friends at ATF wouldn't like me doing that.
It was a *ahem* joke.. Hehehe.:uhoh:

May 4, 2003, 06:27 PM
Hey, I always try to hook up my friends if the law permits.

Yohan
May 4, 2003, 06:31 PM
That would also be the day that Sarah Brady has a heart attack.

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 06:34 PM
A person who believes you should take all those CUTE toys and cut them up does not have a heart.:D
So she'll make it.:neener:

Skunkabilly
May 4, 2003, 06:39 PM
Rock and roll like it's 1933!!!!

zahc
May 4, 2003, 07:03 PM
I'd get me a tommy gun:D

Boats
May 4, 2003, 07:22 PM
I'd like a Thompson too, but would rather have the WW2 model as it is more rugged than the civvie models from the 30s

Combat-wombat
May 5, 2003, 01:42 AM
For me:
2 uzis
MP5n w/Tactical forearm light, collapsing stock, and 3 round burst
M4A1
M16A2
HK G36
HK G3
AKSU-74
M249 SAW
M2HB

Sam Adams
May 5, 2003, 03:26 PM
I would be compelled to get a Tommy Gun, with a dozen or so "evil" 50-round drum magazines. I'd want a newly-manufactured one, as the metal and machining could (and should) be of better quality. Silenced, off course.

I'd also need to have a silenced MP5. I shot one about a week ago, and it was REAL pretty. The cycling of the action made more noise than the ammo.

I'd also need a full-auto micro-Uzi, kind of like the Secret Service carries - it would be a great carry gun.

M14. Gotta have a REAL battle rifle.

M240 - the Minimi is just SO cool....

After paying off my credit cards (for all of the ammo, as the guns themselves ought to be only a few hundred each), I'd have to think of a few more items to buy.

Med 10
May 5, 2003, 09:42 PM
A Krinkov baby!

Ian
May 5, 2003, 11:50 PM
My Daewoo would get a full auto or 3-round burst added real quick-like. After that, I'd like to pick up a BAR and an M2. I'd also lop another couple inches off the barrels of my coach shotgun, and pick up a bunch of suppressors. A full auto Calico or four would be pretty sweet too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Full-autos - what if?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!