What's impt. to you?

PDA

BlkHawk73
May 4, 2003, 10:12 AM
Talking and listening to different people got me wondering. While some people seem to require a quantity of firearms others require quality. I laugh to mysel when I hear something like "Oh, I've got 19 handguns and 15 rifles and 12 shotguns". Then only to find out that most of those handguns are Ravens, most of the rifles and shotguns are of equal standards. Personally, I'll save and spend the $ on quality rather than spending them same amount on 2 (or more) lesser quality firearms. How 'bout the rest of you? What is it?

Quality or quantity?

Not looking for a brag thread of bash thread just a simple reply. can it be done?!;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What's impt. to you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thumper
May 4, 2003, 10:20 AM
Simple reply:

Both.

Kharn
May 4, 2003, 10:26 AM
I'm a college student with champagne tastes on beer budget. I've got a few C&Rs (an excellent Sistema being the crown jewel and most expensive), a few black rifles (A kit-built AR15 is the most expensive), and some other plinking stuff. I keep looking at the XD9s and CZ75s, but with MD's gun laws (and my constant C&R purchases) I probably wont either one for a while.

I dont have any of the really cheap guns like Ravens and such, except my AK, which I built from a de-mil'ed kit, a baggie of US parts, a few screws and five peices of steel just to show myself that it could be done (after confirming with the ATF that it was legal to do). I admit, it looks like crap, but its an AK, all it has to do is go bang and make Sarah Brady nervous.

Kharn

Chris Rhines
May 4, 2003, 10:33 AM
Mmmmm. Generally I'd rather save up for a really nice gun than buy a bunch of cheap ones. Not always, though.

In addition, buying quality doesn't always mean dropping a huge amount of cash. CZ-75s, for example. :D

- Chris

Tamara
May 4, 2003, 10:34 AM
The two ain't mutually exclusive. :D

Soap
May 4, 2003, 10:39 AM
For now, I just want a good working battery of multiple copies of main defensive and hunting arms. The multiple copies issue doesn't apply to the hunting arms as much for me. Even though I'm a working full time college student, I never buy low quality stuff. After my working battery is built, I plan on buying stuff on the "I've always wanted a ____" list. But that list will be built slowly since many gunowners will blow their money too quickly on a that sort of stuff. I have a house, cars, investments, cash savings, gun school, etc. to think about before I start checking guns off my fun guns list.

Jeeper
May 4, 2003, 10:43 AM
Good question

I never really thought about this before. But if I look into my safe I would have to say quality. I dont own any cheap guns at all but I do own some expensive ones. I dont justify with purpose for them I just like certain guns. I would own some realyl nice ones if I had more $$$

charlie d
May 4, 2003, 10:43 AM
It's not a counting contest. Just buy what you want as you can afford it. By the time you're 60 like me, well... ;)

Hkmp5sd
May 4, 2003, 10:46 AM
My collection ranges from the cheap POS to the very expensive. My only requirement is that it must be a functioning gun.

MicroBalrog
May 4, 2003, 10:58 AM
What about AK-47's?
Cheap AND good!

TheLastBoyScout
May 4, 2003, 11:02 AM
I just go with what I like. Right now, being young and wowed by tacticality "what I like" includes black plastic. On the other hand, being young and without that much money, I'd be happy if I could just get ahold of a good combat rifle and a decent combat pistol. So yeah its quality over quantity, but not a crazy amount of customized "quality" either.

Mark Tyson
May 4, 2003, 11:05 AM
I would say quality, as much as you can afford. A good gun will outlast you.

MicroBalrog: I agree, the AK is cheap and good, and shows that the two are indeed not mutually exclusive.

Quantrill
May 4, 2003, 11:18 AM
Buy Quality, American and the standards - in that order. Quantrill

cool45auto
May 4, 2003, 11:55 AM
I like what Hkmp5sd said-"It must be a functioning gun"

Some of the cheaper ones have a cool factor all their own. My P32 for example. But I wouldn't have it if it gave me problems. I will however put up with an old battle rifle acting up every now and then because they are for fun only, not defense.

Mastrogiacomo
May 4, 2003, 12:00 PM
What I look for:

The Beretta name
9 mm
Safety
Trigger pull
Recoil
Accuracy
Reliability
Ease of maintaining
Price

If not a Beretta name it's still got to have what's listed. Obviously, I'd like to have a big collection but only of guns I'd actually use, not just collect.

coonan357
May 4, 2003, 01:48 PM
I am a Quanity of quality freak , I have rugers , Smiths , remingtons , a C&r rifle of good quality (only thrown down once Lebel :D ) and a taurus , but no lorcins or ravens or rgs ( Ill law has something to do with it . ) nor will I ever , I look at the fit and finish of a firearm before I will buy it . and know what to stay away from .

jolly roger
May 4, 2003, 02:10 PM
No junk, just 20 fine guns...Except for a ratty old French 16 gauge shotgun that used to be my father in laws.

HBK
May 4, 2003, 02:10 PM
Definately quality, although Walther never seems to get much love from anyone on the internet. My Walther P-99 is a violent work of art. My Glock 29 is a rugged masterpiece and the Beretta 9mm is just sweet all the way around. The only reason I don't rely on the Beretta is that it was a gift and it's a commemorative. I see no reason to have a lot of guns that don't function as smooth as silk, although the Glock 29 isn't that smooth. It more than makes up for lack of smoothness with reliability. I can't speak to rifles much, because I only have one and I haven't determined its quality quite yet. I could've gotten 4 Yugo SKS's in the same trade if that means anything.

Ol' Badger
May 4, 2003, 02:20 PM
Good Guns...Good Friends...Good Hunting and Good whiskey!

everything else is small in compairison!

Mastrogiacomo
May 4, 2003, 02:32 PM
Hopefully you'd leave the Whiskey at home while you're out playing with your guns...:what: :D

Andrew Wyatt
May 4, 2003, 07:39 PM
I don't care if it has a barrel like a sewer pipe, has particle board furniture and has krylon for a finish, as long as it has good sights, trigger, and safety.

Braz
May 4, 2003, 08:27 PM
Quanity :(

I own no Wilson, or Baer. No Sako or Bennelli. No Freedom Arms or Colt. I envy those who do. You'll never regret buying quality. But I had a vision of what I wanted in the safe. Now that it's nearly completed, I can look forward to upgrading when possible.

Mastrogiacomo
May 4, 2003, 08:37 PM
Well at least you CAN buy them. You should see what choices we have to choose from in Massachusetts.:fire: Check out "A partial List of Guns you Can't buy in Massachusetts" at www.fsguns.com

cratz2
May 5, 2003, 02:15 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I like buying new guns, playing with them for a while, figuring out what I like and what I don't then getting trading off the stuff I don't care for. Simetimes I sell stuff I like just fine but is a redundancy. Right now I have an ultralight 243 for sale but I have a very lightweight 7mm-08 and a pretty lightweight 270. How many lightweight carry rifles does a guy need in a state which doesn't allow deer hunting with centerfire rifles?

I own several guns and admit that one is a Jennings, close to the Raven in your post. But most are certainly of higher quality. Also seems like over the past 18 months or thereabouts, I've come across several good deals... folks are just broke these days. I hate to pass up a good deal. :p

I definately prefer quality, but quantity can be fun as well. ;)

Jim March
May 5, 2003, 03:18 AM
In my case, it's about what can functionally be used for self defense.

My best gun is a carefully picked out modest 38 wheelgun, cost me less than $225 out the door. Works great, very accurate for a 2" 5-shot snubbie. A lot of the lessons learned from that turned into the "revolver checkout procedure".

I'm not really a "gun nut", I'm a "self defense nut".

Snowdog
May 5, 2003, 08:30 AM
My pistols are typically quality: Kimber, Glock, Kahr, etc.
A few military types such as a CZ-52 and IJ-70, and a couple questionable quality pistols, but I believe everyone with a decent collection inevitably have a couple which make them question their former judgement.

Most my rifles are military surplus (K98s and other Mausers, Enfields and recently aquired Nagant, etc) that some folks wouldn't qualify as "quality".
A scattering of commercial rifles such as Remingtons, Springfield SARs and Marlins also facter into the collection.

So, it really boils down to semantics... what do you call a "quality" firearm and would the consensus agree?

PATH
May 5, 2003, 09:53 AM
Quality is more important to me than price. So I have had to go with the best quality that is in my price range. My collection has been built slowly over the years and has some some very solid pieces.

All the semi auto pistols were bought new with the exception of my Colt Series 70. I bought them over time as the wife would hit me in the head if I blew too large a wad of cash.(It is so much fun wanting a gun and saving for it.)

The revolvers are both Smiths and they happen to be used but they are both solid shooters especially my N-Frame Mod. 27.

I got myself a C&R because there are some solid firearms that are C&R and they are inexpensive.(Mauser k98 and No.4 Enfield among others). Good quality at a good price.

You can actually build a quality collection of solid firearms through research, obtaining a C&R, and carefully perusing the used market.

By the by a Lorcin is quality if you can't afford anything else to protect yourself with! Well, that is my .02 cents.

blades67
May 5, 2003, 04:17 PM
Quality or quantity?

Yes.

RandyB
May 5, 2003, 04:56 PM
Quality over quanitity any day. Thats like saying "Would you like to have one attractive wife or ten ugly ones." :rolleyes:

Dave Markowitz
May 5, 2003, 07:49 PM
Large quantities of high quality guns!

For those just getting started, focus on quality. Quantity comes in time.

Subby
May 6, 2003, 12:18 AM
As a wise man once said, "Quantity has a quality all its own." I'm not saying that I agree with him, but he has a point.

Sub

TechBrute
May 6, 2003, 12:28 AM
Just buy quality. Then buy a lot of them ... :D

LiquidTension
May 6, 2003, 02:40 AM
The SKS is a better example of how quality and price are not mutually exclusive than the AK is, IMO. I look for quality first, price second. Quantity is not as important to me as versatility and diversity. I have few guns, but they all fill a specific role. I have yet to buy a gun that fills a role that is already filled by a gun I already own. Wait, that's because I'm poor. Add another vote to "quantitiy of quality" for me :D

ball3006
May 6, 2003, 02:54 PM
milsurpahaulics are you. Just wait, the bug will bite you sooner or later......Nothing like taking a 90 dollar beat up Finn Mosin Nagant that shoots better than minute of angle with iron sights and blowing away the range bubbas with their 2000 dollar pride and joy.........chris3

If you enjoyed reading about "What's impt. to you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!