Long term storage of HK

PDA

Hk Paul
January 4, 2003, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone, I was a member of TFL since 01. Sad to see it go, but this site is looking sweet!

I have a question. I got an HK93 NIB for xmas/gradumacation/birthday present and i bought a starlight case, which is comming in.

How do i store it so that it wont decay the foam? Its coverd in packing grese so should i put it in a plastic bag (like garbage bag) and cover it in packing grese (alot got wiped off)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Long term storage of HK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
762x51
January 4, 2003, 03:37 PM
May want to get yourself some Cosmoline from Brownells sold by the can.That's the stuff your gun is covered in that you call packing grease. Pain in the butt to remove, but very good for long term storage. Brownells also sells a wax type paper wrap for guns that has a proectant built into it. This may be a good second wrap. I'm not sure garbage bags are the best thing to use, you may want some heavier type of plastic wrap. If you do happen to ruin the foam for your Starlight, don't worry too much. They sell replacement foam inserts. How long are you planning on storing it for?

sasnofear
January 4, 2003, 05:12 PM
garbage bags = condensation=rust on gun surface barrel & working= inacurate new rifle= worthless

get special plastic gun bags from gunsmith.

Hk Paul
January 4, 2003, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

Coltdriver
January 5, 2003, 12:54 AM
First of all, clean all the packing grease off of the gun. Get it clean like you are going to take it to the range today.

Then get a an Inhibitor Bag from Kleen Bore. It is a thick red plastic bag with a zip lock top that is specially treated with Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors and a disiccant.

It will keep your gun dry and rust free and ready to go. The bag is good for about three years. They cost about five dollars.

I kept a .45 in one in North Carolina for two years and it stayed in perfect shape.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long term storage of HK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!