No Second Place Winner

PDA

Deanimator
July 24, 2006, 05:28 PM
Having found it in my house after a six month search, I'm re-reading Bill Jordan's No Second Place Winner.

Having been written in the 1960s, it's an interesting step back in time to an era when the author didn't view semi-automatic handguns as practical for self-defense, and the .41 Magnum was the wave of the future.

Jordan's inability to predict the future aside, it's a very interesting book, especially for somebody who likes revolvers and sees them as viable self-defense tools.

Being a bullseye competitor, I'm somewhat uncomfortable with point shooting, but within the context of the book, his justifications for it are reasonable.

His explanation of grips is good, but of course doesn't cover modern grips from Pachmayr, Hogue, etc. His examination of wooden grips, however remains totally on point.

Also his examination of holsters predates a lot of modern developments, but the fundamental qualities of a good holster hold true.

There aren't a lot of pictures in the book, but those that are there are pertinent to the text and explain a lot.

I don't know if this book is still in print, but if you can find a copy, it's well worth the time to read.

If you enjoyed reading about "No Second Place Winner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cyanide
July 24, 2006, 05:43 PM
Man was a shooter for sure.

There is a big difference between shooting holes in paper and shooting a person.

JMO

swampdog
July 24, 2006, 07:56 PM
I read No Second Place Winner many years ago. I lent it to someone and never got it back. I recently bought another copy off Amazon, so you can still get it.

Excellent book, still very pertinent.

Iggy
July 24, 2006, 08:43 PM
You should have been there to watch him shoot!!!:what:

Old Fuff
July 24, 2006, 09:54 PM
Bill was well aware of the wave of coming automatic pistols and the popularity of the "New Technique." He also knew his way around the Government Model .45. We had several discussions about this, and he expressed his opinion that the courses of fire in most combat games did not reflect the kind of situation a law enforcement officer was likely to come up against. He knew that when an officer encountered trouble it would likely be unexpected, very close, and survival would require an instant reaction. Thus his mode of shooting addressed this kind of situation. He also believed that the reliability of a quality revolver over most pistols was a critical advantage.

In demonstrations he would hand someone (usually a police officer) an unloaded revolver and tell him to point it down range. He would then draw, shoot and hit his target before the other person could react and simply pull a trigger. Then he explained that when one could do this they could likely shoot their way out of any likely encounter, or resort to aimed shots if the action was at longer ranges.

His revolvers only held six rounds, but I don’t believe he was ever in an encounter that required a reload – although he could do that very quickly. I wouldn’t have ever wanted to be on the other side of such an event.

Besides his considerable skill-at-arms he had a great sense of humor. Among those that knew him he is greatly missed.

BluesBear
July 25, 2006, 06:13 AM
It's a MUST read for every handgun shooter.
It's a very small book and I re-read it about every two years.

.41Dave
July 25, 2006, 06:30 AM
I agree, it is a must read. I have an autographed copy I got in the '80s when I was a teenager. I must have read it a couple of dozen times by now. As a matter of fact, I think I need to read it again :)

Deanimator
July 25, 2006, 09:48 AM
Besides his considerable skill-at-arms he had a great sense of humor. Among those that knew him he is greatly missed.
He certainly had some amusing anecdotes in the book. Are there any more somewhere else? I was a big fan of Skeeter Skelton's stories.

cyanide
July 25, 2006, 10:21 AM
Bill Jordan and Elmer Kieth

two of the greatest shooters ever made.

Deanimator
July 25, 2006, 11:22 AM
Bill Jordan and Elmer Kieth

two of the greatest shooters ever made.
I'm also reading Keith's "Sixguns".

Brian Dale
July 25, 2006, 12:57 PM
Deanimator,He certainly had some amusing anecdotes in the book. Are there any more somewhere else?You'll want to look for a copy of Tales of the Rio Grande, copyright 1995, published (like NSPWinner) by the National Border Patrol Museum and Memorial Library. My (autographed to me) copies of these two books live on a nearby shelf and I re-read them from time to time, as a lot of folks do. I don't have a copy of his 1987 book called Mostly Huntin', but I ought to get one. He wrote good stuff.

On point shooting: remember that Bill Jordan practiced all the time for decades. Anybody who wishes to use point shooting would be well advised to follow his example in their practice schedule, too.

Deanimator
July 25, 2006, 06:06 PM
On point shooting: remember that Bill Jordan practiced all the time for decades. Anybody who wishes to use point shooting would be well advised to follow his example in their practice schedule, too.
I think his points regarding the use of wax or plastic bullets for quickdraw and pointshooting practice are well taken.

Pumpkinheaver
July 26, 2006, 10:15 PM
I love what he called a shotgun in the book. He called a shotgun "the great tranqualizer.":)

If you enjoyed reading about "No Second Place Winner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!