PDA

QuickDraw
May 4, 2003, 06:33 PM
Last week I took my 3" mdl 66 out and was giving it the
Jim March revolver checkout.Everything was fine.Returned
pistol to safe.Took it out this morning to go to the range,
went to open the cylinder to check for empty.The release
slid forward but the cylinder won't swing out!Tried everything,
even tapped on it with the plastic end of screwdriver.Nothing!
It seems to function fine in every other way,just won't open!
Any clues?

QuickDraw

If you enjoyed reading about "Mdl 66 cylinder problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Badger Arms
May 4, 2003, 06:46 PM
At the front of the ejector rod there is a plunger. This plunger is attached to the lug on the underside of the barrel. Insert a jewlers screwdriver or some other similar pointed small device to depress this plunger while swinging the cylinder out. It's most likely that your ejector rod has just backed out a little. Screw it in COUNTER-CLOCKWISE with as much finger pressure as you can. It's unwise to use anything but finger pressure, but most gunsmiths will use a pair of vice-grips padded with a few layers of cloth or patches to protect the knurled surface. Hope this helps. If it's not that problem, tell us and we'll try to trouble-shoot it for you long-distance.

Badger Arms
May 4, 2003, 07:07 PM
Here's a picture to illustrate.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=258753

QuickDraw
May 4, 2003, 09:20 PM
Badger Arms,
You da man!That was it.I wondered why the knurling looked
like someone took a pliers to it. :mad:
Thanks for the help!

QuickDraw

QuickDraw
May 5, 2003, 01:16 AM
Had a nuther quick question for Badger Arms,
is the knurled shaft readily available? I figured I'd
replace mine as thats the only real flaw on the gun.
Thanks

QuickDraw

Badger Arms
May 5, 2003, 01:28 AM
Yes, they're available. I think they have to be fit. That's not that hard to do, but I wouldn't try it out unless you are good at that kind of thing. I've never done it myself. It's part no. 12. You can get it new through Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=611&m=15&mn=Smith+%26+Wesson%26reg%3b

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Schematics/sw-kframe.gif

QuickDraw
May 5, 2003, 02:13 AM
Hey thats great!
I have a Brownells catalog,maybe with my C&R,I can get a discount!:D
Just a note,I think the part is 15,12 is a handgrip.
Thanks for all the help,THR is a great source of help for a
newby like me!

QuickDraw

Badger Arms
May 5, 2003, 03:05 AM
Whoops. Yes, it would be REALLY hard to fit a handgrip to act as an ejector rod!!! :uhoh:

Standing Wolf
May 5, 2003, 11:05 PM
I think they have to be fit.

Some do; some don't. I've found it helps to disassemble everything, clean it within an inch of its life, and use a drop of removeable Lock Tite. I usually wrap the knurled end in a scrap of leather, then use a pair of pliers, but if you twist too hard, you can strip and/or misalign the threads, and it'll come loose again.

I'm not sure "misalign" is the proper term: threads can be distorted if you apply too much force, and thereafter won't hold well.

Dogsoldier
May 7, 2003, 03:38 PM
Standing Wolf,

I think you mean "stretch" the threads. Over tightening threads can cause them to stretch out of shape changing the pressure angle. You are right, when that happens you will never be able to keep the two parts tight.

Dogsoldier
May 7, 2003, 03:40 PM
Oh yes, one more thing..

QuickDraw, Brownells will give you a discount with a C&R, depneding on the item. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Mdl 66 cylinder problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!