Recommended Charge for .54 Maxi Balls ?

PDA

Zerstoerer
July 24, 2006, 10:46 PM
Any opinions, experiences on what Powder Charge to use for shooting the T/C Maxi Balls in .54 Cal?

Have been using 100 gr. of FFg for the patched round balls.
Using a Lyman Deerstalker and preparing for Elk hunt.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommended Charge for .54 Maxi Balls ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MutinousDoug
July 24, 2006, 11:32 PM
I used a 410gr Lyman Maxiball at 120 gr FF in my TC Renegade. Painful to shoot from a bench and not as accurate as 100 gr BP but nearly so. I think the .54 TC maxis are 430 grs? Took a nice 6 point bull years ago with the 410gr. I'd shoot your gun the same, but I shoot a .50 cal underhammer these days so I don't have to lug all that iron around. I spite of all my efforts, I've never shot an elk at more than 60 yds (that 6 pointer). The season is like summer, the bulls are stupid and the bullet drop (zero change) between 100 and 200 yds with a maxi is about 24". Oh, and a maxi with that load will shoot through a small mule deer end to end at 20 yds.

Zerstoerer
July 24, 2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks MutinousDoug,

I thought 50 yards or so would be a realistic maximum distance.
Hope the Elk will cooperate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommended Charge for .54 Maxi Balls ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!