Do you wanna know why people like Smith & Wesson ?

PDA

GUNKWAZY
July 25, 2006, 01:14 PM
Because of Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry and the model 29 44 magnum revolver that he was always slingin' around, that's why.
This stuff still makes me laugh when I read it.:D
You gotta just love this stuff....

"Dirty Harry" Callahan, fictional investigator in the Dirty Harry movies, played by Clint Eastwood

I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?
Opening scene in Dirty Harry, 1971

Chief: Callahan, you've been transfered to Personnel.
Callahan: Personnel? That's for *******s.
Chief: I worked in Personnel for 10 years!
Callahan: You're proving my point.

Callahan: May I make a statement, McKay?
McKay: What?
Callahan: Your mouthwash ain't makin' it.

Callahan: Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here like that.
Hood: Who's we sucker?
Callahan: Smith, Wesson, and me.

Chief: That's it Callahan you just got yourself a 60 day suspension.
Callahan: Make it 90!
Chief: 180! Give me your star.
Callahan: Here's a seven point suppository.
Chief: What did you say?
Callahan: I said stick it in your azz!

More Classic quotes from Clint...

"You f--- with me buddy and I'll beat you so hard you'll have to unbutton your collar to sh-t!"

"Go ahead. Make my day."

"A man 's got to know his limitations."

"Why don't you boys go suck some fishheads?"

"I'm coming down there in 5 minutes, and when I get down there you'd better have those files ready you pencil pushing son of a b-tch!"

"You're a legend in your own mind."

Clint Eastwood (Harry Callahan): Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy.
John Vernon (The Mayor): Intent? How did you establish that?
Clint Eastwood (Harry Callahan): : When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

"Nothing wrong with shooting...as long as the right people get shot."
Dirty Harry

Clint on Gun control...
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it."

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you wanna know why people like Smith & Wesson ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Car Knocker
July 25, 2006, 01:39 PM
People were liking Smith & Wesson before Clint Eastwood was born.

GUNKWAZY
July 25, 2006, 02:16 PM
Glad to see you enjoyed the post Don :rolleyes:

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Deer Hunter
July 25, 2006, 02:22 PM
Dirty Harry = .44 magnum, in most people's eyes. They don't know what kind of revolver he carried. Ask the average person, and they'll say "Oh, he carried that .44 mag revolver!"

lyricsdad
July 25, 2006, 03:25 PM
Clint Eastwood never crossed my mind when I purchased my first Smith & Wesson..

GrandmasterB
July 25, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the great quotes. Now I have to go rent The Enforcer again. :D

swampdog
July 25, 2006, 08:35 PM
Actually, it was a little book called "Sixguns" that got me into S&W.

Thanks for the qoutes, though, I remember most of them. Next time I go to Blockbuster, I'll have to get a couple.

CLB
July 25, 2006, 09:11 PM
To me Smith&Wesson means other things. Old Clint was still Rowdy Yates on Rawhide when I was begging my dear old Granny to let me hold her model 31 Smithy. I always wanted that gun but after Granny passed away one of my cousins stole it and from what some figured and we guess he sold it. It was never proven he took it but circumstances being what they were at the time and his lifestyle....forgive and forget.
Anyway, I found and bought one like it last week and loving it.Actually it kind of found me. A friend got it in an inheritance and ask me if I'd like to trade for it. Thanks Granny! If she wasn't packing the S&W .32cal she had a switch blade in her apron pocket. And knuckles like a ballpeen hammer. A great story teller, especially scarey ones. Every boy should have had a Granny like mine. A great cook too and she was a nurse. A real country woman! So whenever I pick up my Smith&Wesson I'm thinking of my old Granny, not Clint Eastwood.

(Mine's newer than hers was of course. I got an improved "I" frame.Thanks for the ID info to Old Fuff here on THR)

1 old 0311
July 25, 2006, 09:34 PM
My first S&W predated Dirty Harry many years.

GUNKWAZY
July 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
I can't help it that most of you guys are just plain OLD.
I thought most would enjoy the quotes.
They still make me laugh when I hear them or read them.

For those of you that bought your first S&W before Clint was born, go back to sleep, you need your rest.

For those that enjoyed them, I hope they put a smile on your face.:D

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

waumo
July 25, 2006, 10:05 PM
Well I liked the quotes and remember every one of them!

I bought a 8 3/8" Nickel plated 29 in a blue lined presentation case after seeing Dirty Harry.

I still shoot it at least twice a year, clean it and wax it with car wax to get that "nickel plated shine" - and smile the whole time.....:)

Black_Talon
July 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the post!

FWIW, Dirty Harry did open my eyes up to S&W revolvers. I was 12-13 years old, just starting to like firearms and was real enamored with those new-fangled "double-action 9mm semi-autos" around then. It was nice to get turned on to another type of firearm.

Sir Aardvark
July 26, 2006, 12:20 AM
Actually... the first thing I thought of when I got my 629 was Dirty Harry.

Brass Balls
July 26, 2006, 01:21 AM
District Attorney Rothko: You're lucky I'm not indicting you for assault with intent to commit murder.
Harry Callahan: What?
District Attorney Rothko: Where the hell does it say that you've got a right to kick down doors, torture suspects, deny medical attention and legal counsel? Where have you been? Does Escobedo ring a bell? Miranda? I mean, you must have heard of the Fourth Amendment. What I'm saying is that man had rights.
Harry Callahan: Well, I'm all broken up over that man's rights!

Brass Balls
July 26, 2006, 01:22 AM
De Georgio: Harry hates everybody. Limeys, Micks, Hebes, Fat Dagos, ******s, Honkies, Chinks, you name it.
Gonzales: How does he feel about Mexicans?
De Georgio: Ask him.
Harry Callahan: Especially Spics

Brass Balls
July 26, 2006, 01:23 AM
Harry Callahan: Where's the girl?
The Killer: You tried to kill me!
Harry Callahan: If I tried to do that your head would be splattered all over this field - now WHERE'S THE GIRL?

LoadedDrum
July 26, 2006, 09:06 AM
If you think Dirty Harry is why people like S&W than you not have owned a Taurus wheel gun (I had two, with the emphasis on HAD).

Stainz
July 26, 2006, 09:09 AM
If I let Dirty Harry's gun use guide me, I'd have a 57 (.41 Magnum), as that is actually what Eastwood had in the first flick since the local stores were out of 29's. He was factually incorrect in his 'World's strongest handgun' remark - Dick Casull's up loaded .45 Colt-based wildcat round, the .454 Casull, was available, albeit in only custom revolvers.

I still want the revolver Palladin (Richard Boone's character in the TV series 'Have Gun: Will Travel'.) carried... or the ones other characters carried in the cowboy movies/series - they never had to be cocked, reloaded, or cleaned!

I wanted S&W because of their history, tempered by the use of same by so many rednecks. Their signs, like 'Protected by S&W', didn't help... the history did. And, that was (... and is) despite the somewhat recent 'slips' - like the Clinton-era 'agreement' - and today's 'Lock'. Keith's use also guided me - I even convinced myself he would have approved of my first S&W, a new 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt, as a great 'packer'. I still love S&W's - and still buy new ones.

Stainz

PS I also wanted Steve McQueen's shortened 1892 Winchester from his 'Wanted" Dead or Alive' series - and that belt of bigger bullets (.38-55 or .45-70's?)... they couldn't have gone in that gun, but what did I know then?

GUNKWAZY
July 26, 2006, 09:26 AM
Dick Casull's up loaded .45 Colt-based wildcat round, the .454 Casull, was available, albeit in only custom revolvers.

Stainz... C-mon now, what's the man supposed to say,
Seein' this here's a 41 magnum and it's supposed to be a 44 magnum but they didn't have any in stock, and it would have been the most powerful PRODUCTION handgun in the world, and could have blown your head clean off if it was the right gun......:D

The movie would have been 3 hours long instead of 2.:)

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Marshall
July 26, 2006, 09:41 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the trip back in time, I found them humorous once again. :)

LAH
July 26, 2006, 09:47 AM
Marshall said:

Jeff,

Thanks for the trip back in time, I found them humorous once again.

ME TOO Creeker

armoredman
July 26, 2006, 12:25 PM
I actually did buy a Model 29 because of Dirty Harry...my low down no good brother destroyed it and sold it while I was overseas. Never got another.
One of my fave Clint quotes is from an earlier era, and I think he's carrying Colts...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie..."

MCgunner
July 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
Callahan: Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here like that.
Hood: Who's we sucker?
Callahan: Smith, Wesson, and me.

That's one of my favorites. :D I also like the bantor when in "The Dead Pool", the PR guy suggested that Harry's new chinese/American partner would look good for the department. ROFL Don't remember it all, but it was pretty hillarious when they busted up the bank robbery and Harry brought up the Chinese thing to his partner.:D And then there was the fortune cookie thing in the Dead Pool. "You're ____ outta luck."

Never bought a M29. Sales of the gun skyrocketed after the first Dirty Harry movies and the going price was ridiculous. I did, however, buy a replica pocket .31 after seeing "Pale Rider". I mean, Cabelas had it for sixty bucks, so why not!? I ain't got a 58 remington, my Old Army has to suffice. LOL

yhtomit
July 26, 2006, 01:19 PM
.. but my 625 is a lot cheaper to shoot.

(Also, matches the caliber of most of my autoloaders ;))

Just watched the 2d Dirty Harry movie on a plane trip from Asia, liked it much better than I remember from snippets I saw more than a decade ago on the Made for TV version.

timothy

10-Ring
July 26, 2006, 01:56 PM
Dirty Harry was not the reason I got my 1st smith wheelgun...but seeing the guns in the movies didn't hurt

cbsbyte
July 26, 2006, 03:53 PM
I have read Clint had turned anti-gun some years ago or maybe he is one of the elitist gun owners who thinks he is better than others with own a handguns.

BluesBear
July 27, 2006, 01:31 AM
Stainz,

They did not, repeat did NOT, use a Model 57 in ANY Dirty Harry movie, ever. PERIOD!!! :banghead:
That BS urban myth has been discussed and debumked several times here on THR! :rolleyes:
The search function is your friend.

When Dirty Harry premiered,
The .454 Casull was still an experimental round using a triplex powder charge in custom made revolvers.
The .44 Auto Mag was already in production. (it finally appeared in Sudden Impact)
There were custom barrels chambered for rifle cartridges appearing for the Thompson Center Contender.
There were already a few custom produced .45-70 Revolvers.

So, technically, the .44 Magnum wasn't the "World's Most Powerful" handgun/cartridge but it was still the most powderful production handgun/cartridge.

Gunkwazy,

Great quotes. I enjoyed all of them. But in reality Clint Eastwood movies have extremely little to do with why people like (or dislike) Smith & Wesson.

Master Blaster
July 27, 2006, 09:48 AM
you can read why in this thread here:

They make great guns and have even better customer service:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=212455&highlight=37-2+cracked

GUNKWAZY
July 27, 2006, 10:49 AM
Quote...

"Dirty" Harry Callahan also helped popularize Smith and Wesson's Model 29 .44-caliber "Magnum"-series revolver. The film initiated an increase in sales of the powerful handgun, which continues to be popular some thirty-five years after the film's release. Throughout the film Eastwood's Model 29 is lionized as an all-powerful instrument capable of sending assailants flying wildly through the air, while in reality the round is far less-dramatic than depicted. The .44 Magnum round is not considered to be a practical caliber for urban police use due to difficulties in recoil (target re-aquisition) and its ability to penetrate multiple surfaces, greatly increasing the likelihood of injuring bystanders.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

roo_ster
July 27, 2006, 03:03 PM
Remeber the flick with the cops who went vigilante? I think it was Magnum Force.

Anyway, I recall a scene at the police range where Callahan is shooting with the vigilante cops and says that he uses a "light .44 special for control."

I thought that was a fine reason to use the M29, myself.

BluesBear
July 27, 2006, 04:04 PM
Actually his reply to the question "What kind of a load do you use in that .44?"
(asked, during practice, in the underground range) was, "It's a light special. In this size gun it gives me better control and less recoil than a .357 magnum loaded with wadcutters."

MCgunner
July 27, 2006, 04:30 PM
Actually, he was also tellin' someone in that piece who asked him why he used the .44 that the .357 was a fine caliber, but he just shot better with the .44. That was when he was shooting the hogan's alley match and borrowed the cop's .357 so he could get a bullet for a ballistics match.

That was the movie "Magnum Force". Also liked the cop bikes...Triumph Bonnevilles. I don't recall ever seeing a Bonneville cop bike in this country, but maybe so in San Fransisco. Was kinda classy, though. Hope they had plenty of drip pans in the motor pool garage...BWAAAA, ha, ha!:D

BluesBear
July 27, 2006, 04:56 PM
Now hold on thar... :fire:

I used to have a 1966 Triumph 650 Bonneyville (I was the 2nd owner) and it never leaked a drop of oil!

LAH
July 27, 2006, 10:28 PM
I used to have a 1966 Triumph 650 Bonneyville (I was the 2nd owner) and it never leaked a drop of oil!

You were truely Blessed...........Creeker

Tamara
July 28, 2006, 01:59 PM
I own forty-one S&W revolvers and have never seen a Dirty Harry movie. I reckon I'd better get with the program.

BluesBear
July 28, 2006, 03:55 PM
I spent six months incarcerated in a nursing homes after I broke my back in 2004. There was no TV reception for the first 4 months. During that time I had a borrowed Playstation to play DVDs on. The only DVDs I had with me all of the time were the Dirty Harry Boxed Set and Rio Bravo & El Dorado with John Wayne.
I became VERY familiar with all seven. :what:

MCgunner
July 28, 2006, 05:08 PM

I loved the look of the old Bonney, even if I didn't love the wiring or the electrics or the oil leaks. :D I remember walking into a Triumph dealer in 1971 in Bryan, Texas and he had drip pans under all the bikes on the showroom floor. ROFLMFAO! I will never forget that. Wish there'd been camera phones back then. The newer version is a better bike, even if it doesn't quite match the beauty of the original. And, I bought a '79 XS650 once because I wanted the looks of the Bonney without the headaches. Whatta deal. That turned out to be the biggest POS I ever owned.:rolleyes: Spent more time on my work bench than on the road. Woulda been better off with the real deal. :banghead:

</threadjack>

Magnum PI
July 28, 2006, 08:19 PM
Well, I had to buy the boxed set because I'm a movie buff and thought it was a true classic. I admittedly was into firearms before having any interest in the Dirty Harry movies. You're right, the quotes are just tough to beat! Thanks for sharing them GUNKWAZY! For anyone who hasn't seen it, go treat yourself to some real entertainment! Thank the Lord for Milius! We need more guys like him.....

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00005NTNU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1132614111_.jpg

Bacirus
August 11, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and encountered it by accident. I'm from Europe where we envie you Americans for your liberal gun laws!! I'm a sportshooter (handguns preferably) myself and also an incredible fan of Clint Eastwood (altough in my case, the first has nothing to do with the second)!

I also heard about the fuzz what revolver was in the Dirty Harry movie (57 .41 or 29 .44) but I have another question:

Does somebody have any knowledge of wether it is true that Clint Eastwood owns a very lare collection of Smith & Wesson guns? I heard this the other day but can not find any information on that.

bye

B.

GUNKWAZY
August 11, 2006, 11:07 AM
Welcome aboard Bacirus.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

MCgunner
August 11, 2006, 12:25 PM
I have heard interviews with him and know he owns some guns, but I have no idea how many.

BigG
August 11, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'm surprised no one put up a picture of their beloved Model 29 in this thread. :eek: Good job, Gunkwazy, on starting the thread with some Eastwood quotes.

Tamara - I'm surprised at your never having seen a "Dirty Harry" picture. :what:

Pixsurguy
August 11, 2006, 01:04 PM
I already had a wonderfully accurate S&W K38 before I ever saw the Dirty Harry movie series. So Clint had nothing to do with my love for S&W revolvers. It is really hard to beat the single action trigger pull on a Smith.

I WAS, however, influenced by the DH movies. I'm a perverse sort of anal aperture and deliberately did NOT buy a M29 just BECAUSE they were so popular with so many people. Instead, I got an 8-3/8" Model 57, which I loved more than any handgun I've ever had before or since. Unhappily, some drug-chuggin' scumbag, slime ball stole it from me in Nov. of '04. Ask me how I really feel about the guy. :-)

I replaced my beloved M57 with a new M657. I like it, but it ain't no '79 vintage M57.

LAH
August 11, 2006, 02:08 PM
Welcome Bacirus.............Creeker

Eskimo Jim
August 11, 2006, 06:30 PM
I never gave Dirty Harry a thought when I bought my first S&W.

WHen I finally bought my model 29 recently, my thoughts were of Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton rather than Dirty Harry.

Jim

BluesBear
August 11, 2006, 07:04 PM
I already had a S&W 1955 Target (pre-model 25) for several years before Dirty Harry was released.
I didn't even see the movie when it first came out.
But all of a sudden people at the range were asking me if I was shooting a Dirty Harry gun.
They always seemed disapointed when I told them it was just a .45.
But when I saw the movie I thought it was great.

It was the first movie I ever bought on DVD. And for several years it was the only one of the series available on DVD. WHen the box set was released I bought it in advance from Amazon.

But I do wish I could find* an original Lawman Leather Inspector shoulder holster like he wore in the movies. I bought one years ago but then traded it away in a moment of insanity.

*At an affordable price of course. I saw one sell on fleabay a year or so ago for $400! Hell's Bells™, I wouldn't pay that much for Clint's.

Checkman
August 11, 2006, 07:45 PM
I read an article a few years ago in which the S&W company historian allegedly claimed that Warner Brothers requested a couple M29's with four inch barrels before they had started filiming Dirty Harry. However the factory didn't have any in stock. So they went to the factory gunsmiths (now called the Custom Shop) and had a couple assembled out of parts. All that they had for barrels were the 6.5" tubes.

Now why didn't the gunsmith boys just cut the barrels down to four inchs if that's true? I don't know.

However John Milius has stated that in the first draft of his Dirty Harry script Inspector Callahn carried a 4" Model 29. So who knows??

ezypikns
August 13, 2006, 02:16 AM
I been shootin' Smith & Wesson's fer years! And another thing, I......I....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Stainz
August 13, 2006, 08:01 AM
When I first saw the original Dirty Harry flick, it was fairly new - and we were at sea. The only handgun I had access to then was while we were in port - and I had to turn it back into the armory when I was off watch. I still won't buy a 1911, my long gone G21 and AMT's having been my only .45 ACP bottom-feeders. I certainly didn't rush out and buy a 29 - my first .44M was a 629MG some thirty years later. As I stated, I bought - and continue to buy - S&W's because of their history, technical advances, and affordability.

Since my first post, I've had another hatchday celebration - and received collections of the first two years of 'Have Gun: Will Travel'. It's neat to see an actor, better suited for a role in the works of the Bard, going from the rich fellow perusing the newspaper in his Frisco hotel in a white suit molting into the gunman in black. The episode with him changing from his horse to a camel was especially 'entertaining'. Quite different than I remembered - and mostly filmed outdoors, rather than the sound stage, a la 'Gunsmoke', etc. Of course, his sidearm was a 'special' SAA - and his back-up derringer. No S&W seeds there. In fact, I don't remember a TV show featuring a S&W #3, .44 Russian or .45 Schofield.

If my childhood was a guide, you'd think I'd have a SAA (I have a few Rugers...). Of course, TV was a 'dessert' of sorts then - never a nightly, much less all evening long endeavor - in my home. I did read a lot, as most did back then, thus the appreciation for the 'history' of S&W - and it's later level of importance to me. My use of firearms these days is for paper punching and steel plate pinging; I don't 'pack', hunt, or 'play cowboy' now. They each ride in a rug within my range bag regularly to the range. My choice of S&W fills the bill perfectly. YMMV

Stainz

SAG0282
August 13, 2006, 08:38 AM
This is a good thread.

"Heartbreak Ridge" is still his best movie and character though IMO.

The Good
August 14, 2006, 04:37 AM
i am obviously a clint eastwood fan. my user name is after him. but i was a smith and wesson fan prior to seeing dirty harry

stiletto raggio
August 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
I don't own a model 29 and I may never, but that is because I love the .45 Colt cartridge. My thinking was all Dirty Harry when I bought an 8-3/8" 25-5.

That said, I think Eastwood's Man Without a Name series was better than Dirty Harry. The old spaghettis were just great.

From The Outlaw Josie Wales:

Sidekick: I reckon we oughta bury them fellas.
Clint: Leave 'em. Buzzards gotta eat the same as worms.

stiletto raggio
August 14, 2006, 03:26 PM
BTW, here is a pick of my "Dirty Harry" gun. I love the barrels without the full underlug.

Slvr Surfr
August 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
Ive been a fan of Dirty Harry since I was a kid. Ive also been a fan of the 29 since it was in the movie. I like to pet my Model 29 while I watch my Dirty Harry Collection !!!! ;) :neener:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/helas_9/SW%2029/DSCF0630.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/helas_9/DSCF0629.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/helas_9/DSCF0626.jpg

Ohh and GUNKWAZY, I love the quotes. One of my favs comes from the Gauntlet.....

bad guy: hey you got a warrant ?

Shockley: I dont need a warrant, wanna know why ? Its cause I got this gun, this badge, and the love of jesus shining down on my face, thats why!

BluesBear
August 14, 2006, 06:52 PM
I think a lot of people think of the 8 3/8" barrel as the Dirty Harry gun because of the movie poster with this picture;

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43498&d=1155592223

But believe it or not. That IS a 6˝" he's holding in the photo.
It's just the distortion from the wide angle lens makes it appear longer.
Sort of like some of those "dog nose" photos.

Now the poster and video cover for The Dead Pool does indeed have a 8 3/8" model but Harry isn't holding it.

I still think it would have been cool if Harry had carried a Pinto.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41313&d=1150750328
;)

GearHead_1
April 15, 2008, 12:02 PM
I like all of the Dirty Harry movies and I like to watch most of what Clint did on the screen. That said, I had my first model 29 before the movie ever came out. I think Clint got his idea to carry one from me.

Revolver Ocelot
April 15, 2008, 12:07 PM
though smith and wessons aren't my favorite revolvers out there I do recognize that they were popular long before dirty harry....I could almost go as far to say the fact he had a smith and wesson may have been what made him so cool, not that he wouldn't have been to begin with but had he had another gun it just wouldn't have worked so well.

earplug
April 15, 2008, 12:08 PM
The question is, did Clint ever read Elmer Kieths books?

tinygnat219
April 15, 2008, 12:50 PM
My first S&W was the model 1917 Brazillian Contract. I bought another one and then sold it. I am still kicking myself for that one. My last two handgun purchases have been Smith and Wessons: one 3913 auto, and one 686.
I like the history, the fit to the hand, the reliability, shoot it's hard to find reasons NOT to like them.

tipoc
April 15, 2008, 01:37 PM
Reviving a thread from 2006. Good use of the search function!

tipoc

Darkness
April 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
Holy thread necromancy!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/tvannelli_2006/basic-math-motivational-poster.jpg

GearHead_1
April 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
Reviving a thread from 2006. Good use of the search function!History can be a very good thing. I'm a little embarrassed right now. I was searching for pictures of pinned Smith's and somehow stumbled on this thread. I must have forgotten where I was wen I responded, sorry about this.

tipoc
April 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
Ain't like it's a big problem!

I once started reading a thread on some forum and read what some fool wrote and started to respond then I realized I was responding to myself from about 5 years earlier.

So I cussed myself out using foul language. The moderator closed the thread. Said the discussion was becoming too heated. Threatened to ban me from the forum if I wasn't nicer to myself. Kafka forum I think.

tipoc

Evyl Robot
April 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
Many of you know that my first gun purchase was a 6.5-in M29. It had nothing to do with Dirty Harry. People keep making that reference to me, and I can't help but be irritated by it - albeit only slightly. Although I love all the quotes, saying that the popularity of S&W or the M29 is due to Dirty Harry puts it in a class like the DE-.50, to me. This is not a fan-boy gun, and I am not a fan-boy. I love my 29. It doesn't remind me of Clint, it reminds me of Grandpa. I love the chest-boom and the chunks that it blows out of paper, squash, etc. I can't say that it's the most practical gun for me, but it sure is fun. I like shooting kitten-soft specials out of it, and I love shooting full Magnum loads from it. The stock target grips tore my hand up with full power loads, but Kim Ahrends helped me out on that one. I enjoy shooting lots of different types of handguns, from .22lr's to H&K .45's to stainless .357's, but this gun epitomizes what a hand gun is supposed to be for me. You don't shoot it without feeling it to some degree. It begs to be shot, but it demands respect. Do not draw me without purpose, do not sheath me without honor. IMHO, my $.02.

./Michael

blkbrd666
April 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
Funny!!! I read this whole freakin' thing without realizing how old the original post was...until someone mentioned it. It is going to cost me money though, now I have to go buy the Dirty Harry set.

GearHead_1
April 15, 2008, 03:45 PM
Quoting - blkbrd666

Funny!!! I read this whole freakin' thing without realizing how old the original post was
You are not alone but it makes me feel less silly that I resurrected this thread, thanks. :D

cmidkiff
April 15, 2008, 04:38 PM
Old thread or not, I just _love_ my 29-2. Sorry, my hobby is shooting, not photography :)

http://www.midkiff.us/29-2.jpg

Though I undoubtedly saw Dirty Harry before I bought this, I'd still have to say that I was thinking more about Elmer Keith than I was Clint Eastwood at the time.

Still, those old quotes sure make for a smile!

Next up, a .500 S&W Mag!

RobertFBurnett
April 15, 2008, 05:32 PM
Holy thread necromancy!
+1, my mind was blown when I looked up at the dates. :)

While we're on the subject, and if anyone has a pic of this I'd be greatful, but my favorite scene in Dirty Harry (not lines, just scene) is without the mighty .44, when the BG is driving the bus in the end, and Harry is standing on that overpass with his suit, chops, and shades on staring him down...thats cool. :cool:

My Buck-0-5

RFB

Texshooter
April 15, 2008, 06:23 PM
freaking Clint Eastwood had nothing to do with my purchase of a Smith & Wesson. That is crazy ass talk.

And I believe the quote was "your cologne isn't cutting it" or something like that. Not sure it was "your proving my point" either.

GUNKWAZY
April 15, 2008, 08:30 PM
And I believe the quote was "your cologne isn't cutting it" or something like that. Not sure it was "your proving my point" either.

I was havin' a day-ja-vue.
Wholly Crap !!! I posted this about 2 years ago.
2 years later I got guys like this still correctin' me. :banghead:

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

2nd 41
April 15, 2008, 08:43 PM
Is it because a S&W beats 4 Aces?

don95sml
April 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
My very first handgun, over 40 years ago, was an almost new model 29 that I bought from a buddy for $100. Like a lot of people, I shot a couple cylinders of .44 Magnum and decided it was just too much gun. (Had never heard of .44 special!) Anyway, I traded it to a gunsmith for a like-new Colt National Match .45, which he had given a trigger job and done some jewel treatment of the hammer. Much as I would still like to have that old 29, the Colt National Match in my safe is now worth $1800 according to the latest Blue Book.

mossy141701
April 15, 2008, 09:56 PM
OK guys I admit it. My first Smith was a six inch model 29, I'm guilty! But what can I say I was young! I have moved on to several more now, and I do still have the 44, although I believe I like to shoot the six inch model 57 better.

CU74
April 16, 2008, 12:46 AM
Inspector Callahan carried a Smith & Wesson?? Way cool............

rgs1975
April 16, 2008, 01:00 AM
Clint Eastwood is a dumb a$$. This is why I like Smith & Wesson.

K38 Masterpiece, K32 Masterpiece, K22 Masterpiece

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2319/dsc03685jz0.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2895/dsc03676bu1.jpg

Eightball
April 16, 2008, 01:15 AM
Eh, there are worse zombified threads out there.

I like Smith because they produce good firearms. 'nuff said.

GaryP
April 16, 2008, 02:13 AM
GUNKWAZY said:

For those of you that bought your first S&W before Clint was born, go back to sleep, you need your rest.

Cute, but no cigar!
Guess I'll go back to sleep now! :neener:

:evil:

GUNKWAZY
April 16, 2008, 02:16 AM
Cute, but no cigar!
Guess I'll go back to sleep now!

Way to go Gary, you've been asleep for almost 2 years :neener:

I posted that comment back in 2006.
They don't call ya flash for nuttin'
Thanks again for the quick response time.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

GaryP
April 16, 2008, 02:32 AM
I was very much aware of the original post date, but since I missed it back then and knew you still posted here I had the need to comment. Remember, one cannot be held responsibile for what they do not say. It is two years later now and I am relatively sure most folks are much wiser. :scrutiny:

:evil:

icebones
April 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
this is a little known fact, but dirty harry's revolver WASNT a sw model 29. 44 magnum.

it was a .45 long colt!!!

they used the .45colt because, on TV its almost impossible to distinguish between a .44 barrel and a .45 barrel, and the .45colt was easier to load blanks for.

at least thats what ive heard...

plexreticle
April 16, 2008, 09:13 PM
I would love to have a m29 made in the 60's. They just don't make em like they used to.

April 16, 2008, 09:20 PM
I though it was due to reliability, good company ethics and their historical prowess in industrial America!?!

MikePGS
April 16, 2008, 10:30 PM
Nice collection of quotes:D

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the writer Frank Miller was a fan of Dirty Harry but (like myself) was disappointed with "The Dead Pool". His response? The Sin City story with a non-highroad title that made it into the movie... you guessed it "Sin City". It's basically Bruce Willis with a S&W .44 Mag rescuing a girl named Nancy... that's right, Callahan :D

Griff
April 16, 2008, 11:55 PM
Oh, good; Dirty Harry is new again. Thanks a bunch. Next, I'll hear Ted Nugent in the elevator, and start looking long and hard at Sans a Belt slacks. I hate you...:neener:

pbearperry
April 17, 2008, 12:07 AM
I like Smith & Wessons because they have a smooth double action and because you can't get Colts any longer.

Catherine
April 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
Quote and question:

~~~~~

Answer:

Smith and Wesson makes good quality firearms, they shoot well, they have a good reputation and they are Beautiful to look at too!

Catherine - I like Ruger and other well known firearm companies too!

Stainz
April 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
Below is a great reason to buy a new 6" 629 (SKU 163606)... Harry Callahan would approve. Fit it with some Hogue .500 Magnum monogrips, as delivered OEM on S&W's .460/.500 Magnums, and you won't limit it to 'Specials', as 'Harry' did. It is like a rifle with the UMC 180gr SJHPs - but just as much fun with my wimpy .44 Russians, too. I fitted it with the full power Wolff leaf and a 13# trigger return spring - what a great trigger! And... it's current production, too.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0313_edited.jpg

Stainz

PS I thought the general consensus was that the first DH movie used the #57 (.41 Magnum) due to the lacking of a 29 in local stores. Also, the teaser photo's, etc, used the 8.375" barrel for 'artistic' effect, while he carried the 6"/6.5".

RobertFBurnett
April 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
PS I thought the general consensus was that the first DH movie used the #57 (.41 Magnum) due to the lacking of a 29 in local stores. Also, the teaser photo's, etc, used the 8.375" barrel for 'artistic' effect, while he carried the 6"/6.5".

I had heard it was a .45 N frame (sorry, don't know the #) due to it was easier to load movie blanks into.

RFB

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you wanna know why people like Smith & Wesson ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!