ouch!

PDA

4v50 Gary
July 26, 2006, 02:33 AM
Goex Plant goes KaBoom! (http://shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060718&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=607180334&SectionCat=&Template=printart)

Thankfully no one hurt. Be sure to read the entire article. The availability of powder is not expected to be affected (and by inference the price won't go up like anytime anyone sneezes in the Middle East).

If you enjoyed reading about "ouch!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
July 26, 2006, 02:43 AM
I figured they'd keep a large inventory just in case - looks like I was right.

RON in PA
July 26, 2006, 03:12 AM
Making black powder is dangerous business, glad no one was hurt. I remember when the Dupont plant blew-up in the early 1970s, no American black powder for about a year. We had to use Curtis and Harvey imported from the UK. If all we shot was percussion the alternatives like pyrodex would be OK, but if you shoot flichlocks you got troubles.

Smokin_Gun
July 26, 2006, 04:41 AM
Think Goex has enough stored? So I don't have to run to the Gunshop and buy up all they'll sell me?
I have seen powder mixing magazines blow where I used to work as an explosives lab test tech...squibs and such for military and civilian uses.
Once every couple months it would happen. I left after about a year there. Was fun, but I started flinching when shootin' LoL!

Manyirons
July 26, 2006, 09:28 AM
Hey!

Anybody know tha las time tha SWISS plant went BOOM?

Old Dragoon
July 26, 2006, 05:06 PM
I was really glad I bought 50 lbs of Dupont FFG and FFG and 10 lbs of FFFG in 1968 just before you could not buy kegs anymore. Got me thru until I burnt the last 4FG last September so I could bring my priming horn home on the AeroPlane!

Course I didn't shoot much in the 80's or 90's.

ewb45acp
July 26, 2006, 09:08 PM
There used to be a plant here in PA. I believe it was still owned by Dupont at the time. The blast that closed the place killed a friend of my sister. This would have been 85 or 86. Anyone here from the Scranton area remember any details?

NewShooter
July 26, 2006, 09:42 PM
Five times now!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

NewShooter
July 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
Their workmans comp rate much be rather high :D

geraldbergeron
July 26, 2006, 10:20 PM
Goex seems to still be in operation...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE1DB173DF935A25753C1A960948260

.....................................................................................Gerald....../

Oldnamvet
July 26, 2006, 11:20 PM
"We keep a large inventory for such large mishaps as this," Fahringer said.

From the article. Seems they have a somewhat casual attitude for safety in that they expect these "mishaps". If you just have some property damage it is one thing but if someone had been injured or killed......... that quote would be the beginning of a lawsuit for something.

ABTOMAT
July 27, 2006, 12:30 AM
I realize it sounds like a cavalier attitude, but it's a possibility for any powder manufacturer. Check out past industrial accidents in the US and you'll see a lot of "The Great ______ Ammunition Co. Explosion of 19__." Makes sense to have a plan B.

Detritus
August 5, 2006, 07:26 PM
thought the "production model" for BP plants was to have two to three production trains in existence (with a preference for three i the old days). One up and running, one spare / being rebuilt from the last incident (with the three line set you'd have all three states).

Guess modern times and the rise in safety brought on by advances in fire supression etc have reduced the need for and rising overhead costs have reduced the want for, such redundancy.

If you enjoyed reading about "ouch!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!