Info on H&R 686?

PDA

Mouse
July 26, 2006, 01:27 PM
My local gun shop has an H&R 686 .22 LR / .22 mag. revolver for $200. I can't seem to find any information on this particular model, but I'm hoping someone here will have experience with it. It has a double action trigger, but it's built on a single action style frame. I didn't know such a thing existed. :uhoh:

Considering that I'm on a pretty tight budget, am I better off buying a Ruger Single Six for more money, or would this H&R be a solid purchase?

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on H&R 686?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lonestar
July 26, 2006, 03:11 PM
H&R were decently made Saturday Night Special from the turn of the 20th century to about the 1980's. While I don't know that model and its condition I have seen too many H&R revolvers go for more than $150. I would get the Ruger, it is real hard to fix a H&R revolver.

BluesBear
July 27, 2006, 01:22 AM
Harrington & Richardson revolvers are certainly much better than Saturday Night Specials.

Lonestar
July 27, 2006, 09:02 AM
Ohh don't get me wrong there probably the best made Saturday Night Special, but they are still a very cheap pistol. I owned a few over the years, but I never spent more than $120 on one. $200 for an H&R revolver is a ripoff.

MatthewVanitas
July 27, 2006, 01:41 PM
Another vote for a used Single Six: I've seen them at pawnshops under $200.

!!! Make sure that it comes with the .22LR cylinder, not just the .22Mag cylinder, if you buy a used one!!!

Used ones at decent prices come up pretty frequently on www.Gunbroker.com

You're familiar with the process of ordering online and having a firearm mailed to your local FFL dealer?

-MV

BluesBear
July 27, 2006, 02:54 PM
It's obvious you've never fired a nice H&R 999. :D

pharmer
July 27, 2006, 03:28 PM
I have a 929 I gave $60 for new about 20 years ago. Except for the trigger its a pretty decent gun, certainly not a SNS. Joe

Mouse
July 28, 2006, 10:20 AM
Okay, thanks for your help.

Does H&R / HR1871 / whatever they call themselves now service these guns or supply parts? Their Customer Support FAQ page (http://www.hr1871.com/Support/faq.aspx) says:
7. Are we affiliated with Harrington & Richardson, Inc.?
No.

8. Do we manufacture revolvers?
No.
I really don't want to be stuck with a broken gun further down the road, so unless I find that there's still a good source of parts for this particular model, I'll probably go with the Ruger instead.

BluesBear
July 28, 2006, 03:12 PM
WHen Marlin purchased the rights to the H&R/NEF names they only bought the machinery.
The vast stock of NOS parts was purchased by Numrich. (www.e-gunparts.com)
There is no shortage of H&R parts. But to be safe call them and ask. They are one of the most helpful companies on the telephone I have ever encountered.

Harry Paget Flashman
July 28, 2006, 04:42 PM
A friend of mine has an H&R 686 he bought for ~$150 about 20 years ago. It looks pretty solid to me, though I have never fired it. If I could find one for $200 out-the-door, I'd buy it. But then, I'm partial to H&R's and Iver Johnsons.

Lonestar
July 31, 2006, 11:27 AM
Blue Bear..Again I owned a 999 a 929, and a 733 .32 SW. Great fun guns but I never paid over $120 for any of them. The newer ones are over 20 years old now (H&R stopped producing pistol in 85). The going rate for a H&R revolver is under $200, the going rate for a used S&W or Colt is between $200 and $300. If someone paid $900 for a NIB Glock, I would say he got ripped off . I'm not knocking the gun, I'm knocking the price.

hpg
July 31, 2006, 07:23 PM
I had one years ago and loved it, someone broke into my house and stole it along with some jewelry. Gun has never resurfaced to this day. hpg

KINGMAX
July 31, 2006, 07:36 PM
If you are looking for a GREAT SA Revolver, GO w/ the RUGER. :cool: For the $$.$$, they are hard to beat. :scrutiny: A GREAT Company, if anything goes to the bad, you have some of the best costomer service anywhere.

I speak from years of satifaction: I currently have in my little collection the following RUGER's 10/22, Super REDHAWK in .44, New BlackHawk in .357 Blue Steel, New BlackHawk Stainless 7.5 in .45LC, Bisley Stainless w/ 5.5 in .45LC, P90 Stainless in .45 acp.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on H&R 686?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!